Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Wand of Ravenclaw by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Wand of Ravenclaw

Wizardora

Chapter 20 - Cups and Sorcerers

It is a universal truth that knowing about a bad situation is not nearly as stressful as contemplating what to do about it. It was a truth Harry was learning in the hardest of ways. He could think of little but all the composite parts of a very complicated situation; Ginny, Malfoy, their bizarre and, frankly disturbing, new relationship, the snake, Snape. Ideas of Voldemort, Horcruxes and such were far from his mind now.

The one bright spot on the whole thing was that Hermione and Enola were getting on very well. They were so well disposed to like each other that they could have been sisters. Harry thought, to his surprise, that Enola was probably Hermione's first proper female friend. She had always held something back from her friendship with Ginny for obvious reasons, but with Enola she was relaxed and open. They had a curious amount in common, most important of which was their relationships with unique boys. It served to bond them in a most potent way.

"She really gets it, you know," Hermione said one evening over dinner. They had decided to dine al fresco and were sat under a magically heated parasol near the Great Lake.

"Gets what?" asked Harry.

"What it's like going out with someone, well, different."

"Different? That makes me sound grand," said Harry, affronted.

"We really have to work on your self-esteem," said Hermione. "What I meant was that because of who you are, your reputation, your mission and things it, well…makes you quite a scary boyfriend to have."

"Thanks for that," said Harry. "I'll try and be normal for you, shall I?"

"Ah but I might not like you if you were normal," said Hermione. "You're a risk, you're dangerous. It's exciting and sexy."

"You're sounding like a fangirl," said Harry. "Is it really sexy?"

"Really, really," said Hermione sultrily. "Oh and how!"

"And Enola knows this too?"

"Not about you," said Hermione grinning. "But from what she told me about Ryan he's even bigger than you where they come from. They left their Eighth Continent, or whatever its called, to finish off supporters of their own Dark Lord that had fled here. That's how they came to work for the Apex Faction. But back at home Ryan is like a demi-god to their people. It's probably even harder for Enola being with him than it is for us."

Harry tried to imagine having things worse than he did; the expectation to defeat Voldemort was one thing but to lead a whole race of people was a sobering thought. He felt sorry for Ryan for the first time; it was a strange sensation as he'd begun to think of Ryan with a distant reverence bordering on fanaticism.

"That poor girl has it tough," said Hermione. "I don't think she's too keen on this Hannah girl either. It'd be like me having to share you with Ron, if Ron were a pretty blonde girl."

That was an image that stayed with Harry for several days. Enola settled quickly into life at Hogwarts, such as it was. Her first few days placed her as the centre of attention with the students all interested in this exotic newcomer. The boys of the school were particularly keen to catch a glimpse of her with many declaring that `they didn't make them like that at Hogwarts' and finding silly excuses to talk to her, like asking if the sky was blue and water wet where she came from.

All the while Harry was left to ponder his next move. Ginny was the obvious target but also the one he was keen to avoid like the plague. He hadn't spoken to Ginny in months and he was kept awake at night imagining the conversation they would have about Malfoy. He was sure that she wouldn't take well to him poking his nose into her private life or the idea that he'd used a Time Turner to find out what had happened.

"She'd probably think that I'd been following her," Harry told Ron one morning when he turned up at Hogwarts. Ron was so angry at Harry's revelation that his face turned as red as his hair and for a while he could only speak in monosyllabic grunts reminding Harry fiercely of Uncle Vernon.

"Malfoy - how dare - kill - hated - MALFOY!"

"I know, mate, I know," said Harry consolingly. "Don't say I told you, though."

Ron looked at Harry with a mix of fury and disbelief. "I'm not going to say anything to that treacherous tart ever again! She's like Percy to me now. Malfoy…can you believe it? Of all the things! I'd rather she dated a house-elf, or even a Muggle! Malfoy! I feel dirty. It's like being raped from a distance."

"How exactly -" Harry began before being interrupted by a deafening crunching noise, followed by many terrified squawks from the Forbidden Forest.

"Grawp's up then," said Ron nodding to the flock of birds whose tree had just been ripped down by Hagrid's giant brother.

"He's been okay recently," said Harry. "Must have had a bad dream."

"Do giants have good dreams? What could they be?" asked Ron.

"Dunno," said Harry. "Look, I know you're miffed about Ginny and You Know Who Two, but don't say anything. I need to find out what happened and if you say anything she won't speak to either of us."

"Fine," Ron grunted. "I think I'm going to go. I was supposed to meet Luna for breakfast but I don't think my stomach can take it. Apologise for me, would you?"

"Sensitivity, too? Really are a new man, aren't you?" Harry said with a chortle.

"Influence of a good woman," said Ron unabashed. "You should know that. I'll see you, Harry."

"Look after yourself," said Harry and Ron left. Harry watched him go with a strangely jealous feeling, like Ron had finally gotten his life together and in motion while he, himself, seemed to have stalled.

* * *

December dawned cold and frosty and Harry felt himself looking towards the 25th hoping that Santa Claus was real and would drop a Horcrux into his present pile. Leads on the Horcruxes were non-existent, Harry's fears about an imminent attack on Hogwarts were looking more and more unfounded and the only thing keeping his mind occupied was the prospect of Practical Defence classes due to start after the Christmas holidays.

Enola had turned out to be a real asset in this area. She knew things about combat that belied her feminine graces and was a constant source of ideas for Hermione's lesson planning. She had taken to the task with great vigour and renewed application, using Enola's surprisingly vast experience like she would a text book. She presented her completed plan to McGonagall who approved of it and smiled for the first time in months.

And thus Harry found himself, surrounded by happy people but plagued by negative thoughts himself. He was getting nowhere fast and was sure that Voldemort must be massively ahead in his own plans. This was despite the success of Mr Weasley's Muggle Protection task force which had virtually halted all unexplained deaths amongst the Muggle populous. One newspaper even declared that the cessation of the mysterious spate of killings occurred `as if by magic'.

Harry was confident of falling into despair and he couldn't even confide in Hermione who was so bubbly over her new friendship with Enola that Harry didn't have the heart to darken her door with his own woes. Just when his spirits were reaching their lowest ebb a shot of hope arrived from the most unexpected source imaginable.

It was late one evening and Harry was sat in the Gryffindor Common Room playing wizard's chess against Neville with Enola watching eagerly on. Hermione was snoozing in the armchair by the fire, a book dangling precariously from her lap. Harry was about to sacrifice his bishop when a commotion outside the tower caught everyone's attention. Hermione stirred as the portrait hole swung open and Professor McGonagall's tartan-bonneted head appeared.

"Potter come quick, you're needed," she panted. It was only then that Harry noticed her face was white with fear and her manner hugely agitated. "All of you come, Hogwarts is under attack."

Harry jumped up, knocking the chessboard aside. Hermione was at his side by the time he reached the portrait hole, Neville and Enola close behind. They followed McGonagall down the stairs and out into the grounds. A battle was raging outside and Harry looked aghast at the scene. The Entrance gates had been blown open and Hagrid's house was on fire, lighting the place in a dancing orange glow. Hooded wizards were pouring through the gates fighting multiple wizards already inside Hogwarts while Hagrid stomped around raining blows this way and that. Harry barely had time to register what was happening when part of the roof above his head was hit by a curse. Hermione cast a quick spell to divert the debris and they ran for cover.

"What's happening?" Harry called to McGonagall.

"We were alerted that the school was about to be attacked," she replied. We only just called reinforcements in time."

A piercing shriek cut through the air and the flapping of many wings passed overhead.

"What are they?" Neville cried.

"We don't know," said McGonagall. "Some foul beast of Voldemort's no doubt."

Enola was perched ready to pounce, reminding Harry of a cat about to strike. He turned to her, "I'm sorry to get you involved in this."

"This?" she gestured around. "This is what it's all about. I'm going to take care of those flying things. See you soon."

Before Harry could protest she was up and gone, darting across the battlefield without a care. Harry saw silvery white blasts erupt from her twin wands and several of the hooded shapes in the dark crumpled to the floor. He turned to Neville and Hermione who grinned with approval.

"Shall we?" Harry asked. Hermione and Neville raised their wands and together they jumped up. They were about to enter the fray when two figures bounded up from the corridor leading to the dungeons and joined them.

"What's going on?" asked Ron. Harry was half-amused to see him buttoning his shirt as Luna next to him straightened her radish earrings.

"We're getting a kicking by the looks of things," said Harry. "Come on."

Harry dashed forward and ran right into a pack of the flying creatures. They shrieked and clawed at him with sharp talons as the others tried to fend them off. Harry felt the warm trickle of blood course down his face.

"At least your face will balance with twin scars," Luna pointed out fairly as the airborne devils soared away. Harry couldn't help grinning at this and darted back towards the fight. He had barely gone a few feet or so when a huge rushing sound drew his attention. Looking towards Hagrid's hut he saw the swirl of a great whirlwind sweep the fire from his house and spew it into the night sky. Hundreds of little orange dots coated the scene as the flying monsters were set alight, their sickening cries echoing around the place.

"Way to go Enola!" called Neville as Ron punched the air triumphantly. The group began firing spells towards the massed ranks of hooded wizards, though in the dark it was impossible to see if they had hit their targets. Harry was desperate to test out his own unique spell for the first time with so many prime candidates and soon broke away from the group and found a suitable target. For an instant Harry did think it was dishonourable to strike an opponent from behind but at the same time reminded himself that Death Eaters were scum who had no concept of honour. He pointed his wand towards his target.

"Ochoviamus!" he cried. The dark shape in front of him rose into the air, his arms and legs snapping taut as Harry commanded. The pained cries rang out across the open space as Harry pulled tighter and tighter. Harry was locked in his own power and only vaguely aware of the thuds of feet around him. He was impervious to the distant calls to him but suddenly one cut through.

"Harry! Stop it! That's enough!"

It was Hermione's voice and she sounded so panicked that Harry came out of his trance afraid for her. The body dropped hard to the earth as Harry looked around at the stricken faces of his friends. His was slightly annoyed that none of them was impressed by his display.

"Harry…w-what was that?" asked Neville, his voice small.

"It was curse…I invented it," said Harry.

"You invented a curse?" said Ron aghast. It was this response more than the others which startled Harry.

"Yeah, so?"

"To invent a curse is powerfully advanced Dark Magic," said a slimy voice from the body on the floor. "I always knew there was something not right about you, Potter."

"Snape!" yelled Harry pointing his wand at his old Potions master. He was about to fire off another curse when Professor McGonagall jumped in his way. "What are you doing?"

"Stopping you," said McGonagall.

"You're protecting him!" cried Harry. "Have you gone crazy?"

"No, but you may have," said McGonagall. "Severus saved us so if you want to hurt him you'll have to go through me first."

Harry hesitated. "What?"

"He has been in contact with us for months, giving us inside information on Voldemort," said McGonagall. "It was he who told us of the impending attack."

"For what? He must be able to give something back to Voldemort! He's a traitor and I'm going to kill him."

"Not today, Harry," said Hermione. She had come up behind him and was easing his wand arm down. "He helped us. I saw him cursing the Death Eaters. Professor McGonagall's right."

"He called to the Aurors," said McGonagall. They arrived just in time to save us. Now the enemy has fled. Severus is a hero."
"Hero!" Harry spat, incredulous. "He killed Dumbledore! I saw him do it!"

"You know nothing," said Snape getting up. "I did perform the killing curse on Dumbledore but technically he was already dead."

"Technically?"

"Dumbledore knew that the potion protecting the fake Horcrux was poison," said Snape curtly. "Yes, Potter, I know about the Horcruxes. Do you think you are the only piece of Dumbledore's plan? He knew that to drink the poison would mean death. It killed the first person who drank it and Dumbledore knew it would do the same to anyone else. For some ridiculous reason he thought it should be he that died and that you should help him. Personally, I would have reversed the roles."
"Why me?" said Harry.

"Dumbledore realised that by some freak of nature you have the ability to destroy Horcruxes. He recognised a power in you that he, himself, possessed. He wanted you to see what it took to destroy a Horcrux, namely massive sacrifice. He was ageing, his hand crippled by the cursed ring. So he drank the potion and by the time I cursed him he was moments from death. You saw him that night, you can hardly doubt me."

Harry wanted to fiercely but he knew enough Legilimency by now to know Snape's words were true. "But what about Regulus Black? He's in Egypt."

"Hair samples are kept as part of any deal involving the Apex Faction," said Snape. "They call it a Biological Contract and use the hair for reasons no outsider knows. Dumbledore wanted you to know that the real Horcrux had been destroyed so arranged the meeting. Polyjuice Potion has its uses, you see."

"Then Dumbledore died for nothing," said Harry grimly. His mood was one of immense sadness at the thought.

"For once we agree," sneered Snape. "Though Dumbledore thought his passing acts would mean something to you I must admit I fail to see it. But he was wiser than most and we must trust his judgement."

"But answer me this, what are you doing here?" said Harry. "You have been kicked out, haven't you?"

Snape coloured in the darkness. "I knew you were getting nowhere with the Horcruxes and I have difficulty believing that there is a power you possess that I do not. I found the location of the cup that once belonged to Helga Hufflepuff. It was taken to Albania by Peter Pettigrew. The Dark Lord believed that the piece of his soul inside the object might be able to restore him to full strength after he met his demise at your hands. Needless to say, he failed."

"So it's in Albania?" said Harry. "Where?"

"I could not find it there," said Snape. "I had given up hope until I overheard a conversation between two old warlocks in a tavern out there. They were discussing the Dark Lord's return and one mentioned a strange party of travellers who passed through the village shortly after the Dark Lord's rebirth. They were carrying an ancient wooden box inside which was an object of great value. They said it was being returned to where it belonged…in Bulgaria."

"Bulgaria!" cried Hermione. Her voice had that tone it adopted whenever she realised something important. Snape was in full flow, however, and ignored her.

"Bulgaria," said Snape. "Suspecting, as I'm quite sure Miss Insufferable-Know-It-All here now does, that I knew the identity of the object in question I listened closer, but they were heavily drunk and soon the topic changed. I waited until they left and followed the storyteller home. It was not difficult to subdue him and perform Occlumency to confirm my suspicions."

"And was it?" said Hermione eagerly. "Was it the Goblet of Fire?"

A stunned silence followed a raft of gasps from the assembled crowd. Snape only offered a reluctant nod by way of acceptance of Hermione's sleuthing skills.

"And where did they take it?" Hermione continued.

"They were apparently taking it to a place called No Man's Land, where, as the name goes, no man can enter."

"What kind of place could a man not enter?" asked Ron.

"God, Ron, are you so chauvinistic and dense?" cried Hermione. "Isn't it obvious?"

She looked from Ron to Harry to Neville, who looked at each other with matching blank expressions.

"A place no man can go, in Bulgaria," said Hermione. "What do you think that could be?"

"A lesbian colony?" Ron suggested. "Which might be good to visit. Or something to do with feminism?"

"No, Ron," said Harry suddenly. As was his way, comprehension came slowly to him, but it did eventually arrive. "Remember…remember the mascots at the Quidditch World Cup?"

"Yes! You've got it, Harry!" cried Hermione, beaming with pride at him.

Harry and Ron just looked at each other before both chorused, "Veela!"

"A Veela den in Bulgaria!" said Hermione. "That's where the cup is?"

"Yes," said Snape coolly. "But the Veela are rarely seen in their own habitat. Finding them has proven very difficult. The Dark Lord believes his cup is safe in the protection of the Veela due to their influence over men. Clearly, he doesn't see women as a threat. But Dumbledore thought Potter was able to master the Veela and retrieve the cup. I was about to uncover the location of the Veela Colony in Bulgaria when news of my activities were leaked and the Dark Lord tried to kill me. He thinks I have been trying to generate support abroad for opposition to him, which led in turn to the attack tonight. There is still time to recover the cup but finding the Veela will be hard."

"Not for me!" cried Ron suddenly. "I might not be able to resist the Veela - don't look like that my little Moon Princess, they're magic beings - but I think I know where to find them."

"You do?" asked Harry hopefully. "How?"

"Well, I don't know personally," said Ron. "But I have a sister-in-law who does."

Harry grinned fiercely. Finally, they had a plan.

-->