Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Wand of Ravenclaw by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Wand of Ravenclaw

Wizardora

A/N !: I just want to offer a heartfelt thank you to all the people troubling themselves to read this fic. You are all wonderful people and this is why I love this community so much. The reviews some of you have left have been absolutely mind blowing and I'm sure I don't deserve such praise as this. I have posted this story of ff net and portkey and almost all the reviews have been positive and I want to try and express my gratitude. Unfortunately, I don't have the vocabulary. For the person who said this story was, or should be, the "standard bearer for all post-HBP fics" I can offer only deep thanks across the online universe, not that I think that's correct of course. Nevertheless, I've never felt more a part of this fandom. Thank you all.

That said, here's chapter 12, which you'll probably decide you all hate and I won't get another review!!! I wrestled long and hard with conflicts about how to start this chapter but the overriding wish seemed to be for a bit of steam between the one true ship we all love. So that's how it starts. For all you easily offended, though, I promise its more Sweet Valley Hogwarts than Ginny Does Dallas! Enjoy (I hope)!

A/N 2: After finishing this chapter I realised that it was too long to include what I'd wanted, so if its crappy and confusing I apologise. I will try to right those wrongs in the next instalment. In the words of JKR, `its like two parts of the same thing'. Lets hope is isn't as bad as her part one eh…..

False Disclaimer: I own all the rights to Harry Potter, except the merchandising - I'm going to fire my agent!!!

Chapter 12 - Teachers and Traitors

Hermione had been gone for over half an hour. She had told Harry to wait in the living room while she prepared her `classroom' upstairs. Harry wasn't sure what this meant but he was sure that he'd never been more frightened, or excited, in his life. He paced the room, sat down feeling sick, played with his hair, felt afraid of his drunkenness turning into a hangover in the morning, and paced some more. When he thought he could take no more of his own thoughts a note zoomed out of the fire and hit him in the head.

`Harry, come here,' it said simply in Hermione's writing. The paper, Harry noticed, was oddly scented and coloured. It did little to ease his nerves.

Harry climbed the stairs as slowly as his jelly legs would allow him. His heart was pumping hard as he stopped outside the only door with light around it. The rest of the corridor was completely dark. Harry knocked and waited until Hermione called back to him to come in. The room was lit by few candles, which cast flickering and insubstantial light around the walls. At the centre was the king sized bed that took up most of the floor and was now surrounded by several more candles and covered in petals that Harry suspected might have been stolen from the wedding. Hermione was leaning seductively against the end of the huge four-poster and Harry gasped at what she was wearing - a silver silk negligee with thin straps and a low cut. Harry felt his mind overload.

`Harry, come here,' said Hermione quietly. She sounded as unlike herself as Harry could ever imagine she was able. She beckoned him by slowly bending her index finger and Harry, as though commanded by an invisible power, obeyed. He reached Hermione, his eyes darting and flickering over every inch of what he was fully appreciating was a very sexy frame.

`Do you like my new nightie?' she said, the innocence of her words baffling Harry, whose hormones were fast replacing his fear.

`Where did you get it?' he asked.

`Madam Malkins has a special mail-order service just for girls,' said Hermione. `You haven't answered my question, though.'

`I love it,' said Harry, his eyes still in constant transit.

`I'll get you one, if you like,' Hermione joked.

`Mmm,' said Harry. `I've never seen you wear anything like this.'

`Oh yeah, like you would have!' Hermione exclaimed. `I'm sure this would have looked great around the Common Room or at the Burrow.'

`I would have liked it,' said Harry.'

`That's why I bought it,' said Hermione. `For the right occasion when I'd want you to like it.'

`A-and that's now?'

`Uh-huh,' said Hermione. `If you want to, of course.'

`I'm yours,' said Harry. `You're my teacher; I want to be your pet.'

Hermione smiled. `Then let's go to class.'

Harry allowed Hermione to slip her hands around his neck and untie his cloak before letting it slip to the floor. His dress robes came next, the clasps at his neck slowly unhooked before joining his cloak on the other side of the room leaving him standing in just his underwear. He saw Hermione swallow deeply before running her hands uncertainly over his chest. It was at this time that he realised this was probably the first time she'd ever done anything like this either and was likely as nervous and unsure as he was.

As such they led each other to the rose-scented bed and helped each other down. The kissed softly and gently and for the first time Harry ran his hands over Hermione's curves. She trembled at each little touch and little gasps escaped her lips in between kisses. Harry, for his part, was trying to suppress such noises himself, which wasn't easy as Hermione's dainty fingers were sending shockwaves through him the likes of which he didn't even know existed.

This lasted for ten minutes at least and Harry felt he would have been happy to stay there forever. Hermione, however, seemed buoyed by the start of the whole thing and her earlier bravado returned. She flipped Harry onto his back and straddled him before reaching onto the bedside table. From there she drew a shallow dish, the contents of which Harry couldn't see. Hermione took her wand and placed it on the underside of the dish and although she didn't speak Harry could tell she was performing some spell. After a minute or so she dipped her finger into the bowl, seemed satisfied at whatever she had done and set her wand aside.

`I've never done this before,' she said nervously. `So if I do it wrong don't laugh, okay?'

`I won't ever laugh at you again,' said Harry, reaching up to cup Hermione's face in the soft candlelight. `Whatever you are going to do, it will be perfect. Everything about you is.'

Hermione smiled and any lingering doubts seemed to wash away. Her sultry look returned and she dipped her fingers into the bowl once again. She scooped up some of the contents and rubbed it across Harry's chest before laying the bowl down. Harry was surprised that the substance on his skin was warm, but was barely ending this thought when Hermione began to smooth it across his chest. It felt slick and oily and caused Hermione's hands to slip across Harry's skin. A few times one slipped right off and nearly tickled his armpit, but he didn't care. He was in total euphoria under her ministrations.

The massage went on for at least twenty minutes until Harry was oily from neck to toe, front and back. Hermione flipped him back over again and returned to her position straddling him, which was both the best and worst positions he could think of. The strain on his groin was almost unbearable.

`We'll see to that in good time,' said Hermione, her voice still unsure as she spoke in tongues totally new to her. `But first things first.'

`What's that?'

`It's your turn,' said Hermione.

`But I don't know what to do,' said Harry.

`Then let this be lesson number one.'

With that she slipped the straps from her shoulders and let her flimsy nightgown fall away. She wore that look of wanting approval but this time Harry knew words would never explain how he felt at the sight. Instead, he simply smiled, thinking that this was the best night of his life, and reached over for the dish of massage oil…

* * *

After a night of inexperienced activity, morning light filtered into the room and fell across Harry's eyes. His first thought was that he didn't feel sick, so he had avoided a hangover. Then he felt the bushy expanse tickling his chest and all thoughts of the previous night rushed in. He couldn't be sure, of course, but he felt that the thoughts had produced the broadest smile he had ever worn. He knew, without any doubt, that the next time he needed a Patronus this would be the memory he would use.

He lay there for some time just cradling Hermione's sleeping form in his arms, which he didn't care were already half-numb from the pressure. He was careful to be gentle to avoid waking her but he was so fascinated by the softness of the skin at weird places, like behind her shoulder and down her back, that he just spent the best part of an hour stroking her until she began to stir. Waking, she looked up at him and smiled.

`Morning,' she said tiredly.

`You know,' said Harry. `I think I want you as a pet. Your skin feels lush to stroke.'

`I don't like I'd like drinking from a bowl, though,' said Hermione hitching herself up. She looked questioningly at Harry for several moments.

`What is it?' he asked eventually.

`Any regrets?' she asked slowly.

`None,' Harry grinned. `You?'

`Yes, one,' said Hermione.

`What?' asked Harry, his face falling.

`That we didn't do this sooner,' Hermione smiled holding him close. `That was the most amazing thing ever.'

`And it's free,' said Harry. `They should charge for that sort of pleasure.'

`Some people do,' Hermione pointed out.

`Where did you learn to do all that…that stuff?' Harry asked. `You really were incredible.'

`Thanks,' Hermione said, grinning broadly. `Never read Witch Weekly have you? It has more that just the Most Charming Smile Award, you know.'

`Remind me to write them a thank you note,' said Harry kissing the top of Hermione's head.

`Do you think we should get up?' she asked.

`No,' said Harry.

`Me neither. But I think we'd better.'

`Do we have to?' Harry moaned, snuggling in. `It's so comfy here.'

`I know,' Hermione said, equally dismayed at the prospect of getting up. `But there are plenty of nights to come, and plenty of Witch Weekly ideas I want to try.'

`I wonder how everyone else fared last night,' said Harry as he got up and started to dress.

`What do you mean?'

`Well, Ron and Luna were getting on rather well and poor Neville, we left him on his own. I hope he isn't mad at us.'

`I doubt he will be,' said Hermione. `But Harry, I do want to ask you one thing. Please keep what happens here between us. Don't go bragging to anyone. Let's just keep the details to ourselves, okay?'

`Like I'd do that,' said Harry. `I'm not that insensitive a wart, you know.'

`No, but you are a boy. And I know how boys are when they get together.'

`Boys getting together is one thought I try to avoid,' said Harry smirking.

`You may come across as all heroic and pretty,' said Hermione looking at him pityingly, `but in the end you think like all boys. How do we girls ever choose between you?'

`Must be destiny,' said Harry. `I go through two useless girls to find you. You have three lovers before realising who you'd see yourself with in the Mirror of Erised.'

`How do you know I'd see that?' said Hermione. `My hearts' desire might not have anything to do with that sort of thing. I'm not a floozy, you know.'

`You're my floozy,' said Harry.

`Well, that's different,' said Hermione coming over and kissing him. `I'll get breakfast going.'

* * *

October arrived with several cold days announcing the end of the summer heat wave. The normally draughty rooms of Grimmauld Place became noticeably colder and windows thrown open in search of a non-existent breeze for the past couple of months were shut up once more. The gloom of the dimming sunlight was not lost on Harry who paired the sight of it with the feelings of frustration he was experiencing on the Horcrux front.

He and Hermione spent most of their time in the large drawing room where, along with Ron when he visited, they studied Dumbledore's spells, scanned the Daily Prophet for stories about the Death Eaters and drew up lists of possible locations for the Horcruxes. Hermione spent some time away from the house poring over the archives of the Hogwarts library. Her task focused on finding the identity of the mysterious R.A.B but so far the list of possible targets was quite large. While she worked hard on scaling this down to something realistic, Harry and Ron worked to improve their defensive spell work and invent new spells for Harry to use.

`Protego!' Harry yelled one afternoon as Ron tried to hex him. The force of the protective spell was enough to send Ron toppling backwards over the sofa.

`Perhaps you could use that as an attacking spell,' said Ron getting up and gingerly rubbing his shoulder.

`Sorry,' said Harry. `I'm just trying to focus really hard. I've just got this feeling that something must happen soon. Voldemort can't be away from me for this long. Ron - can't you just try saying his name?'

`No,' said Ron firmly. `I'd rather not think about him at all.'

`Well you should,' said Harry. `It might be best considering that it's quite likely you might come to face-to-face with him. What are you going to do if that happens? Turn around and say "Hello, You-Know-Who?"'

`I don't think I'd be speaking to him at all,' said Ron. `But it isn't like you're on a first name basis with him either, is it?'

`I don't know,' said Harry. `I was thinking about calling him Tom, like Dumbledore did. He said it linked him back to being just a normal wizard. And it annoyed him.'

`Oh yeah, because that's a great plan!' Ron exclaimed. `Annoy the most dangerous sorcerer ever! Good idea, Harry.'

`Lets take a five minute rest, shall we?' said Harry. `Hermione isn't here to shout at us so I'm sure we can risk it.'

`How's it going between you two anyway?' asked Ron as they both sat down.

`Really good,' said Harry. `Its weird but perfect all at the same time, you know?'

`No,' said Ron. `It all sounds a bit disgusting to me.'

Harry had a flashback of Hermione referring to Ron's emotional range being comparable to that of a teaspoon. Even then, it seems, she had Ron worked out.

`I suppose its all about the snogging for you then?' said Harry.

`Eh?'

`Well, all of your female interests seem to spend most of the time locked to your face. Lavender, Hermione a bit, now Luna.'

`What? What about Luna? She isn't a female interest!'

`Oh really?' said Harry. `What about the wedding?'

`Oh, that,' said Ron going red. `That was nothing.'

`It didn't look like nothing to me,' said Harry.

`Yeah, well,' said Ron. `It was the drink. It'd been a long night.'

`Dunno why you're getting so defensive for,' said Harry. `It's like you're embarrassed.'

`Well, to tell the truth, I am a bit.'

`Why? You spent half of last year snogging Lavender to death, why should this be any different?'

`It isn't, but it is,' said Ron. `I mean, look who it was with! Loony Lovegood! As if my reputation wasn't bad enough already. The last thing I need is for people to be talking about me and Luna. I won't be able to go out in public.'

For the first time Harry felt like he saw a part of Ron on the surface that he always wished wasn't there down below. It was the part Hermione knew well, the part she often brought up in their rows.

`You know, I think it's a good job she had to go back to school,' said Harry. `So she could get away from you.'

`What does that mean?' said Ron, affronted.

`It means that there isn't anything major wrong with Luna,' said Harry. `Okay she comes across a bit odd sometimes, but we know her well enough to know that isn't true. She's nice and she doesn't have any bad intentions to anyone; she isn't two faced; she's loyal and she has time for everyone. People give her a really hard time, but she doesn't deserve it. And she's not bad looking either. She was willing to put up with your drunken antics at the wedding when most girls would have run a mile. Don't you think she deserves a little more consideration from you?'

`Whoa, Harry,' said Ron. `I didn't mean it like that!'

`Well it certainly sounds that way,' said Harry.

`Since when have you become Luna's personal cheering section anyway?' asked Ron.

`Since I realised the value of true loyalty and friendship,' said Harry. `Only two members of the DA came to help the night Dumbledore died. Her and Neville. That's it. The rest were too afraid but those two valued being part of it so much they jumped to action straight away. I abandoned them, Ron. Discarded them at the first hurdle. What does that say about me?'

`I think you're being a bit hard on yourself,' said Ron. `You have your own life. It isn't your responsibility to fix the lives of everyone else.'

`No - you're wrong,' said Harry. `It is.'

He appreciated it for the first time. He was the leading figure of hope in the magical community. For years it had been Dumbledore, even to him. But now he was the one. He was the one people looked to for the key to defeat Voldemort and free them. People would flock to him. He was the hero now. It was his duty to do good, to offer hope to all people, the way Dumbledore always had.

`There's somewhere I have to go,' said Harry suddenly, standing up. `Someone I have to see.'

`Do you want me to come?' asked Ron.

`No, I have to see this person alone,' said Harry. `Are you going to stay here?'

`Yeah, if that's okay,' said Ron. `How long are you going to be?'

`Not sure. I'll see you later.'

With that he left the room and made his way outside. Moments later he had Apparated and faced the winged boars of Hogwarts once more. He opened the gates and walked inside, following the path towards the school. He waved to Hagrid tending pumpkins in the patch outside his hut and watched as a Thestral soared out of the wilderness in the Forbidden Forest before disappearing once again into its depths. It was unlucky, Harry thought, that he'd picked a time between lessons to plan this trip. As he moved between the huddle of students all faces turned in his direction and whispers passed around the place like a forest fire. Harry nodded to a few people who called his name but pushed through the crowds and vaulted the steps into the school.

He made his way through the corridors until he reached the Headmistress' office. The giant statue was across the staircase and Harry didn't know the password. Turning, he was on the move again with the staff room his target this time. He knocked on arrival and was beckoned to enter. The few teachers inside were surprised to see him; indeed, little Professor Flitwick toppled off the stool he was sitting on when Harry entered.

`Harry Potter!' boomed a jovial voice. `What a surprise this is? Or should we say an honour?'

`The first will do, Professor Slughorn,' said Harry with an awkward grin. `I didn't think you'd still be here without Dumbledore.'

`Well,' said Slughorn, who himself looked a little awkward now. `Minerva did ask very nicely. And she can be quite as persuasive as Dumbledore, you know.'

`Speaking of Professor McGonagall,' said Harry. `Do you know where she is? I need to speak with her.'

`I think she was in the library,' said Professor Sinistra, who Harry hadn't noticed in the corner. `I saw her there earlier.'

`Thanks,' said Harry. `Sorry I can't stop. Bye.'

And he was gone with requests for him to stay and chat ringing down the corridor after him.

True to Professor Sinistra's word Harry found Professor McGonagall in the library, where he'd completely forgotten Hermione was as well. This was an unexpected bonus as he suddenly felt as though he might need an ally in his request. Her surprise at seeing him was as measured as that of the other teachers.

`Potter, what a surprise to see you here,' she said as he approached.

`Everyone keeps saying that,' said Harry. `It's like they all expect me to be dead by now.'

`Some of us do,' said Professor McGonagall looking at him sternly. `I still think you'd be infinitely better off here. But I won't waste my breath trying to persuade you. What brings you here? Forgive me, how silly of me. I saw you at the wedding party. Checking she's in one piece are we?'

She glanced down at Hermione with a little smile.

`No,' said Harry. `But it's good to see she is all the same. I actually came to see you, Professor.'

`I? What exactly can I do for you?'

`Well, I just wanted to run an idea I had by you,' said Harry. `You probably won't go for it but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.'

`Don't mince words, Potter,' said Professor McGonagall. `I am a busy woman. I don't have time for riddles.'

`I only have time for one myself, Professor, if you know what I mean.'

`I do, but I don't think you came here to trade bad jokes with me, Potter. So come on, out with it.'

`Well, I was thinking about things earlier and I remembered a couple of years back when I started a sort of secret Defence Against the Dark Arts class. A practical class.'

Hermione gave a little cough at this point and looked up at Harry.

`Oh, right. Well, it was Hermione's idea originally,' Harry corrected himself. `But anyway, I was thinking that maybe I could restart it. I mean, I spend half my time practising defensive spells at home anyway but I could really use the resources here. And if I was here I might as well teach anyway who wants to learn anything like that, like I did before. It might even add some protection to the school and even prepare people for the real world. I mean, the war could last for ages, couldn't it.'

`Are you talking about teaching a lesson, or building an army?' said Professor McGonagall, who Harry could tell doubted the merits of this plan.

`A bit of both,' he said.

`At least you are honest,' said Professor McGonagall. `What brought this idea about?'

`A few things,' said Harry. `But I won't deny the idea of mobilising some kind of force against Voldemort was one of them. No-one else seems to want to go at him and I don't like the idea that he can pick us off one at a time. I know some pretty good stuff and I'm sure it could be a help, at a time when learning about Red Caps and Hinkypunks can't be as important as a few solid hexes.'

`I can't say I approve of the idea of arming students,' said McGonagall. `It seems irresponsible to me.'

`That's a no then,' said Harry mutinously.

`I hadn't finished, Potter,' said McGonagall. `I was about to say that although I don't approve I wont deny that the concept has its merits. Not all the staff have returned, you know, and recruiting at a time like this has been a nightmare. Teachers have been doubling lessons to cover. It could be an advantage to be able to lighten the burden.'

`Please, Professor,' said Hermione joining in at last. `It really could be useful.'

`I get the idea this was planned,' said McGonagall smiling lightly.

`Oh no, this is Harry's brainwave,' said Hermione. `I didn't know anything about it until he just said. I could help plan lessons and teach. And we could do research, and other things, in between.'

`Come on, Professor,' said Harry passionately. `Give us a chance. If it fails, or you don't like it, we can end it, no harm done. What do you say?'

`Oh, very well, why not?' said McGonagall. `But I warn you, teach defence and not attack. We are not Durmstrang, we do not condone the Dark Arts.'

`Thank you, Professor,' said Harry. `We won't let you down. It'll be a great idea, I promise.'

`Well, well,' said McGonagall. `I have to get back to my work. I will leave you two now. I will contact you to arrange a formal meeting where we can iron out details. Until then, take care of yourselves.'

Professor McGonagall squeezed Harry's arm, which he found very odd, then left them. Harry watched until she was out of sight, and then turned to Hermione.

`Well? What do you think?'

`I think I smell a rat,' said Hermione. `Where did this plan come from?'

`I was talking to Ron about Luna and the idea sort of popped into my head,' said Harry.

`You were talking to Ron about Luna?' said Hermione. `What did he say? Are they going out?'

`Er - what?'

`It's just that I saw Luna earlier and she didn't say a thing,' said Hermione. `I thought she might have.'

`I won't tell you what Ron said about all that,' said Harry. `You might not speak to him again.'

`Oh no - he didn't just use her, did he? Poor Luna.'

`I'm not sure,' said Harry. `I don't think it's that. But you know what Ron's like, there's about as much chance of working him out as there is of Dobby playing Quidditch for Holland. Anyway, I just thought that it would be good to have some people trained up to fight - you know, just in case.'

`Just in case you want to use them, yes?'

`Legillimency to you as well,' said Harry.

`Harry I can't believe you. One minute you don't want me involved, the next you're building a secret army. What next, a dragon air force?'

`You know, that's not a bad idea,' said Harry. `I'm joking. Anyway, I don't know what you're so upset about. It'll give you the perfect chance to play cupid for Ron and Luna.'

`There is such thing as a lost cause,' said Hermione. `And this might just fit there.'

`I don't know,' said Harry. `You can be pretty persuasive.'

`I can?'

`Forgotten last night already, have you?' said Harry smirking.

`Harry!' Hermione breathed as she blushed. `Not here. It's hardly appropriate.'

`It wasn't last night either, but that didn't stop you.'

`Or you, if I remember rightly,' said Hermione with a shy grin that Harry loved. `I wouldn't have thought Quidditch would have given you such great stamina.'

`Yeah, well I'm full of surprises.'

`You haven't got to tell me that,' said Hermione, her eyes communicating impurity right to Harry's brain. `But back to the topic at hand, what do you intend to use this new class for?'

`I was serious about saying it might help me,' said Harry. `The Room of Requirement can provide much better tests than just doing it at home. It can be used for anything; practising, training simulations, tons of stuff. It'll be great.'

`I still say you've got something else up your sleeve but I'll just have to wait and see what that is,' said Hermione. It was a mark of her new found reliance on Harry's judgement that she went with this new whim of his. `I was about to come home when you arrived. Shall we go?'

Harry agreed and they left the library discussing all the things they could do with this new class. The old curriculum would be completely ignored, of course, but there were so many possibilities that it was likely to fill the fruitless time between waiting for a sniff of something tangible on other fronts.

Outside the air smelled of smoke and Harry chuckled as he imagined what could have been burned in the cauldrons of the classrooms nearby. He felt a pang of sadness at missing out on such things but as he heard the chiding voice of one of the teachers the regret eased a little. A disturbing sight at the school gates erased all such futile thoughts.

Harry hardly dared to believe it. It couldn't be what he thought. There was a figure sat in the square just outside the gates, on the edge of one of the circular flowerbeds to one side. Harry refused to believe who it was.

For the person sitting there, waiting for him, was Draco Malfoy.


-->