Unofficial Portkey Archive

Finding Father by Ancient Werewolf
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Finding Father

Ancient Werewolf

Chapter Twenty-Three - The Recapture

Crookshanks and I were left alone in the interrogation room. True to the Auror's word, my mother's pet cat was fine. But he was a little restless, and he paced around the room, trying to get out. Looking around, I saw no cameras, or windows from which I could be seen. I wasn't sure how or if they would know if I decided to leave the room.

I became a little anxious as I looked at the door. I got up and grabbed the doorknob, but nothing happened. I twisted it, and the door opened. Still, no alarms went off. Crookshanks let out a loud meow and looked outside, then up at me, as if to tell me that the coast was clear.

We got out of the room quietly, and I was relieved to find the hall empty. I followed my mother's cat, and we ended up in the main hall, in a small corner where it was dark enough to hide from the Ministry workers. Near from where we were standing, there were several benches where people sat, waiting to be attended, probably.

I glared as I noticed Mrs Weasley was there, sitting impatiently. I was surprised to see many of the Weasleys sitting away from her. The twins, Ginny, Bill, his wife and Francois. They would look at Mrs Weasley with a frown from time to time.

A loud sound startled me, and several Aurors came running from the hall from where I had escaped. I pressed myself against the wall and hoped they couldn't see me. Crookshanks was nowhere to be seen. At some point, he had left me there.

"Where is that boy?" one of them asked irritably, looking around. The others split up, and started searching for me. Amongst them were Auror Tonks and Auror Shacklebolt.

Auror Tonks turned around, scanned the large hall, and spotted me. "There you are!" she said, hurrying towards me. I panicked, turned around, and dashed towards the corridor, to the interrogation rooms. "Hey, John! Stop!" I heard the young woman calling out for me.

I didn't want to get caught, they would place me with Mrs Weasley, or with someone else who wasn't my uncle. I didn't want that. I wanted Uncle Ron.

A pair of strong arms were wrapped around me, and I was lifted from the floor. I kicked as much as I could, but I couldn't hit whoever had caught me. "Stay still, Mr Granger," Auror Shacklebolt said sternly. "Gave us quite a fright."

"I want to see my uncle!" I exclaimed.

Just then, a door to our right opened, and two Aurors came out, escorting Uncle Ron. His hands were held by old-fashioned handcuffs, and he was still looking furious. When he saw me, his expression changed to one of worry. "John!"

"Uncle Ron!" I yelled, trying to escape from Auror Shacklebolt's restraining embrace. My uncle struggled against the two Aurors, and more had to come and help them, since he was starting to drag them along. "Uncle Ron!"

We were close enough, that when I stretched out my only free arm, and he stretched out both of his arms - due to his hands being bound - I nearly was able to grasp his hand. But the increase of Aurors struggling against him was too much, and we were separated again.

He was taken down the hall, and despite my calls, no one cared to listen to me. No one cared to allow me and my uncle to be together.

-

Notes: Wow, another scene I had in my mind when starting this story. :) This one is much better than the previous one, IMO. And, no, the Thestral scene wasn't really filler, even if it seemed pointless.