Unofficial Portkey Archive

Finding Father by Ancient Werewolf
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Finding Father

Ancient Werewolf

Chapter Twenty-Four - The Trial

I was taken to the same place where my uncle was, but someone had to cast a spell on me that didn't allow me to make a sound, because I kept screaming at them.

My uncle was bound to a chair, and was surrounded by wizards and witches of different ages. I was rather awed to see so many people.

"This trial," an old-looking wizard started, breaking the silence, "is to judge whether or not Mister Ronald Bilius Weasley can continue being Mister John Henry Granger's legal guardian." He sat down, and looked at my uncle critically. "Mr Weasley, you have a past of alcohol abuse, aggressive behavior, and a complete lack of respect for the authorities. You have a lot against you, and I will be honest with you, I doubt you'll get custody by the end of this trial."

An aged woman walked up and stood in front of my uncle, looking up at the others. She had dark red hair, with many white hairs predominating. "Mr Weasley is quite capable of taking care of himself, and of a child. He is a man who has been through a lot, but he is learning how to cope with it. He has shown that he is so determined to raise John Granger, that he has stopped consuming alcohol. He has gotten a job, and he has set up a goal. A goal which he could not fulfill due to his own mother's distrust. To her irrational fear."

"Isn't it true, though, that he attacked Miss Rita Skeeter?" another old man asked.

"He did not attack Rita Skeeter. He simply told her to remain away from his protégé. It is not against the law for a guardian to give such an order, if he feels the person threatens the child's safety," the woman retorted.

"How else has he improved?" a witch asked, looking at my uncle and then at me. From the look on her face, I could tell she was convinced that Uncle Ron was a good person. I smiled at that thought.

"He has restarted a stable relationship with a gentle witch," Uncle Ron's representative replied. "She is well suited to look after children, her job being Children Counseling."

"We are aware that this woman is same woman that left him several years ago because of his behavior and abuse of substance," the first old wizard said. "How do we know that history won't repeat itself?" He sighed, and looked at me. "I cannot let a man so unpredictable look after this child."

I felt as if my heart and stomach dropped to the floor.

"It is for this reason," the man continued, "that John Henry Granger will be in the custody of Arthur and Molly Weasley."

-

Notes: Ah! What now? What now?