Unofficial Portkey Archive

Caught in the Past by hhragent27
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Caught in the Past

hhragent27

Here's chapter 10, I hope you guys like it! It would be much appreciated if you review as well…thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Harry Potter, J.K. does, and she has every right to do whatever she thinks is best for Harry Potter. I just love writing. So sue me. Wait, seriously… don't.

------------------------------------------------------------

Perched on an old chair, rotting with age and threatening to fall with its occupant's weight, the mysterious master of Serpent Lair eyed his messenger with disinterest, though his eyes contained a malicious gleam that prickled the meager man's nerves from his neck all the way to his toes.

"A competition." He breathed venomously, his voice raspy but clear with menace. "This should be interesting."

The messenger blinked, confused. "Indeed, my lord?" He asked, and then swiftly bowed his head, belatedly berating himself for questioning his master's words.

He suppressed a breath of relief when the baron merely acknowledged his infidelity with a sharp reprimanding look. "If what you heard is true, she will never allow herself to fall for the duke's charm. It is nothing more than a distraction, as to have me concerned."

"But when will the plan be executed?"

His master's voice was as dark as the night that seemed to have loomed in the estate's firmament. Even though the man was used to spite, he still shivered when his master's crooked lips formed one word.

"Soon."

------------------------------------------------------------

"Hermione, may I ask you a question?" Luna Weasley said as she gazed at her friend who was busily choosing her attire for that day's picnic, trying but not succeeding to avoid a conversation with her.

"Perhaps." Hermione answered lamely, although she knew that no amount of pleading would be enough to silence Luna, who had probably been dying of curiosity about what happened between her and the duke the night before, during dinner.

"I won't mince words…" She offered.

"You never do."

Luna took a deep breath, used to her friend's remarks and blurted out, every ounce of interest clear in her voice. "What is your relation with Harry?"

"Nothing." Hermione replied, a little too quickly and a little too rehearsed to be deemed as sincere.

Her friend shook her regal head as she stood up to stand beside her. "He couldn't seem to take his eyes off you all evening." Luna pried slowly. "What could possibly be nothing about that?"

"What he had been doing was not whatever it is you and Ronal had come up with, while the rest of Hogwarts had been asleep last night." Hermione shook her head as she went behind the dressing screen to put on her riding habit. "He was scrutinizing me, trying to intimidate me with all his questions. That was all he was doing."

"Why was he trying?"

"I really don't know." Hermione said, hoping her voice didn't betray her emotions.

"You don't expect me to believe that, do you?" Hermione heard Luna's voice and she smiled despite her annoyance.

"I don't expect you will, but it is the truth" Hermione replied simply and then wrinkled her nose. "And even if what you're suggesting is true, that he might be interested in me, that is, I would never accept his offer."

"Why not?" Luna asked, exuding with so much interest that Hermione had no idea why she had not drowned in it yet.

"The man simply is intolerable." Hermione said simply as if insulting the duke's entity was the most normal thing a lady did.

Luna gasped out loud, her hand coming up to cover her mouth. Blinking a few times, she said. "He is the exact opposite, Hermione. He may be reserved at times, but he is the most eligible bachelor in all of Hogwarts."

"His wealth makes him that, not his character." Hermione said haughtily, emphasizing her words. "I am certain that shallow ladies would marry men with beastly attitudes as long as they had the fortune to go along with it."

"He does not have a beastly attitude. But even if he did, how could you know such a thing?" Luna said loyally, and then a pause followed her query. After her silence, she spoke again, her tone becoming suggestive. "Unless you've discovered he has, which would have only happened had you spent some time alone with him."

Hermione was glad that she had been behind the screen or Luna would have seen the way her cheeks flushed at the mere mention of being alone with Harry Potter.

Clearly, such occasion would never warrant a promotion, because it did not bode well for her who was trying to forget the very existence of him, who had the audacity to so much as kiss her when she had been unguarded and helpless.

And just like that, the memory of last night came back to her.

But knowing it was not the first time it had reoccurred, she was no longer surprised.

However, that did not mean she was no longer bothered.

She had woken up earlier, flabbergasted as the memory entered her mind even before she could remember where she was. And even now, recalling for what seemed like the 50th time, she could no longer deny that even after just one night, her defenses against him were slowly melting.


Because of what, she wasn't prepared to name.

But admittedly, she was not confident whether she wanted her resistance to crumble, or remain just as it was, protecting her even a little bit, for a hurt he was certain to cause.

Pensively, she lifted her hand to her lips and was surprised to feel a touch of smile beginning to form on them. And then they quickly dropped to form a frown, as shame washed her conscience.

How could she be thinking about it even after him practically admitting he had been the reason for her father's death?

But still she couldn't help but wonder whether Harry, why she was calling him Harry now she didn't know, had already pondered on what happened between them the night before, not just their kiss, but also what transpired after.

The revelation of who she was and who he was had come as a surprise to her. She had not been counting on him finding out that she knew his identity, but she should have known better that a man with the history of hunting down victims without breaking into sweat would have figured out something was amiss.

But his reaction was not what she had expected.

When she waited for him to have another fit of rage, he had trounced out of her room instead, leaving her behind with only the vague memory that his eyes, the one that she had just described as cold as ice, had turned into something else.

Vague as it was, she knew it was no longer the bitter, unfeeling ones she had grown accustomed to seeing. But to even ponder what they had looked was like saying that she cared.

And she didn't…

Did she?

"Hermione, are you all right? Do you require assistance?" Luna's voice came floating back inside her head.

"I'm quite all right, Luna. Thank you." Hermione's voice seemed strange even to her and so she chose to stay quiet for the next few minutes, adjusting her clothes efficiently the way she had managed over the last 7 years.

"I don't understand why you don't bring your lady's maid. You ought to have a chaperone." Luna pointed out.

Hearing this, Hermione was reminded of the ball where she and Harry met three months ago, where he had asked for her chaperone. She chose to give Luna the answer she had given him.

"I've gone past the marriageable age; I don't believe I require a chaperone anymore than you do."

"But you still receive offers. It is still improper for you to be here with no one to see to your welfare."

"I have managed for seven years, haven't I?" Hermione said to her, stepping out to check her appearance. It was a bright sunny day, but it wasn't warm outside, so she opted to choose her dark brown Directoire gown, although she really had no choice because it was the only one fitted for riding over the grassy turf of the Black Estate fields.

"It's past eight already. The others are probably downstairs, breaking their fast." Luna reminded her. "We should hasten."

"You can proceed before me."

"Nonsense, I didn't come here only for me to leave alone."

You just want to find out about Harry and I, Hermione silently told her friend as she hid her thoughts behind a cheeky grin.

When Hermione was through fixing her appearance, she and Luna stepped out of her room and silently took the steps along the hallway, and were soon walking down the magnificent marble stairs of the manor.

Halfway through the flight, Luna opened her mouth.

"What did you do last night that you overslept this morning?"

"I was finishing a novel." She said, the lie coming out of her mouth instantly. This time, Hermione was convinced that she had done all right with her deception.

"It must have been quite a book to have you up all night."

"It had been…a first…for me." She managed to say, barely stifling a giggle.

Luna merely raised her brow. "Would that be the controversial book I have been hearing about, the one written by the Austen woman?"

Taking the inadvertent escape Luna had offered her, Hermione just nodded.

"You must tell me all about it. You know I was never the one to seat and read such things. I prefer books of the scientific nature. But the rage that it is causing all over Hogwarts has me intrigued."

Hermione smiled at her. Inasmuch as she wanted to, she didn't know what to tell Luna, she hasn't even read the book, although it was not for lack of trying. "I hope you wouldn't mind much if I didn't. I am only sorry to say, I did not understand what she had written, and if I did, I would only muck up the story when I tell it to you. As you well know, my enthusiastic monologues never get too far with others."

"Nonsense." Luna waved her hand. "You keep me awake when we're in each other's company. And you're the smartest woman I've ever conversed with. Surely, you would understand what she had written."

"Only a bit." Hermione sighed and decided to agree for now. Luna would probably forget after they leave for their ride, she just hoped that along with what she will forget was her association with the Duke of Godric's Hollow.

It was one thing for Harry to ask questions, but it was another when she had to endure it from someone she didn't want to lie to.

------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was threatening to disappear behind a storm of clouds when the guests decided to obtain horses for their morning ride. Because Hermione had forgotten her riding bonnet in her room, the rest of the group had already started with their ride when she reached the field a few minutes later.

Stopping to catch her breath, Hermione barely noticed the lack of people inside the stables, except for a couple of grooms who were waiting near the stalls.

When Hermione straightened, the very first sight that greeted her was that of a flash of white in the corner of her eye. She blinked and turned her head to the side, and instantly, she was mesmerized.

The mare resting in the stall at the farthest corner of the stable was by far the most beautiful one she had ever seen in her life.

Normally, such light shade wouldn't have caught her attention. But there was something about her rich color had her feeling warm. She had always the type favored creatures, even as big as this one was, and so to deny herself a moment of fondness was utterly unacceptable.

She smiled as she approached her.

She was magnificent --- the way she stood regally on sturdy legs. It was almost as if she was proud of her existence, unlike other mares whose eyes seemed so lonesome each time they were taken to be ridden on.

At a single glance, everything about the way the animal was holding herself told Hermione of the finest things acquired by a favorite, one that was especially loved by his master.

Hermione knew that whoever owned the mare had more than a simple riding horse in his mind.

Noticing her perusal, and approach, the mare began to toss her head about, prancing back and forth restlessly. Hermione cautiously stopped a good couple of feet away. When no one cautioned her to stay away, she said.

"Hi." She greeted with a smile. The mare seemed to have understood her because she slightly quieted and regarded Hermione with a soft neigh.

"How are you?" She asked and to her surprise, the animal moved as close to her as the stall would allow. Gazing at her entire form, she reached out to touch the animal, her palm sliding softly on its cover. Closing her eyes, Hermione let the fuzzy feeling in her stomach settle.

Animals, especially stray ones, did that to her. She wasn't certain why, but clearly, her heart was too soft for them, knowing that they were often treated with less reverence than what they deserved.

Clearly, this animal wasn't a stray. But she was just as endeared to it as she was to any other creature. Pleased by the caress she was receiving, the mare tossed her head gently, seeking more of her touch. Hermione laughed. "Ok, ok. I know you like me."

Spotting a basket of carrots near her feet, Hermione bent down to get a piece and fed it to the horse. She giggled when she licked her fingers before taking what she was offering. "I don't think you're really hungry, but thanks for eating it anyway."

Hermione smoothed her hair and spoke quietly, smiling dreamily. "You're quite a beauty, aren't you?"

She grinned when the mare nuzzled her cheek. She continued to pet her for some time. Then she sighed, "I wonder if your master would allow me to ride you." She patted her face one last time. "Who is your master anyway?"

"That would be me."

Her heart skidded to a standstill as the voice she recognized all too well echoed behind her.

She turned around and, belatedly remembering they were in public where she could not berate him for his manners, she curtsied. Above her, she heard him scoff.

"I highly doubt that it is necessary for you to do that. No one is here."

Abruptly, Hermione looked around and to her surprise, no one was actually there. The grooms had probably grown tired of waiting for her to choose her mare and had left to do their other tasks.

"There is always someone watching." She said and then she moved away from him to turn to the horse.

"She's quite a beauty, isn't she?" She heard him say, although his voice was not as amused as she would like to think.

"That's what I said."


"I know. I heard you."

"How long were you standing there?"

"Long enough to know that animals are definitely not in your list of aversions."

"Why aren't you with the others?" Hermione asked when she had nothing to say to his answer.

"I could ask the same of you." Harry said, and then his lips turned into a grim smile. Hermione didn't fail to notice that it did not quite reach his eyes the way they usually did.

"I left my bonnet."

"Ah, that explains why they have been gone for half an hour now, and you haven't caught up with them." He said. "Do you walk like a turtle, my lady?"

Hermione opened her mouth, and then closed it. She wondered what was happening to her that she couldn't even come up with a snide remark to toss back at him. In the end, she opted to be truthful instead, knowing that honesty will never humiliate her as much as lying will. "Your mare was too magnificent to resist."

Despite his foul mood, Harry had to smile at this. "Bested by my own horse." He muttered, appearing to say this more to himself than to her, but really intending for her to hear.

Hermione once again found herself responding with silence. Never mind that he was baiting her to be angry, she was just not in the mood to be so. Maybe it was the animal.

And maybe he was right that his mare was better at making her feel comfortable than he.

She laughed.

And Harry was now the one who had nothing to say.

If only she laughed with him like that. He thought to himself as his gaze slid to the smile that was now on her lips, the very lips that he had claimed last night, though he had not the right to do so.

It had been incredible. The way she felt in his arms, the way his lips covered hers.

But it was something that even he knew should and could only happen once. Before he even kissed her, he had made a vow that for just that time, he would forget what was between them and lose himself into her.

And that he did.

Now, it was over, and just part of the past in their lives which had been connected since the night she decided to come into his life and give an offer he could have taken, but refused.

If only she were not associated with his past, the very same one that he wanted to forget, but never could, he would have easily dismissed her resistance and pursue her.

But as was the case, she was part of it, and if she would become part of his life now, he was afraid that he would never escape his nightmares.

"Your Grace?" She asked.

His attention turned to her and he realized, belatedly, that she had asked him a question. "I beg your pardon."

It must have taken a great deal of effort for her to not roll her eyes at him, he noted as she exhaled and repeated her question. "What is her name?"

"Hedwig." He said, and then he shrugged at the interest he saw in her eyes. "It's not the usual name one hears, I know."

"It is not so bad. Not as bad as Ronald's, anyway. Honestly, Pigwedgeon." Hermione smiled thoughtfully, looking at Hedwig. Then she regarded him with a mischievous look, making him wonder whether she was the same Hermione he had confronted last night.

She looked younger and more carefree now, her hair falling down shoulders in a cascade of molten waves down her back, and then drawing attention to her complexion that had nothing to do with the bright riding habit she was wearing.

And she was smiling…

Desire tightened in his gut.

"But you could have chosen a more conventional name if you were to be ashamed of introducing him to others." He heard her say.

For some reason, he suddenly wanted to get away from her. If he were to continue this conversation, he was certain that he could and would do something he would later regret. And so, Harry said gruffly, his tone wiping the smile off her face.

"Now that we have that dispensed with, do you not think it is time for you to follow the others?"

"Why?"

He ignored her question. "I'll call one of the grooms to settle you with a horse of your own." He left without another word, and after two minutes, he returned, one of the stable boys she had seen earlier, following him.

Initially instructing Tom to settle Hedwig for him, the stable boy let his horse out of the stall first and led her to Harry. Taking Hedwig's reins gruffly, Harry mounted her and turned it towards Hermione, while Tom worked on the mare next to Hedwig's stall.

"Are you not going to accompany me?" Hermione asked.

"The others have just taken the route around the field; it would be not be difficult finding them. Just follow the path."

"But where are you going?"

"I do not do leisure rides."

She knew he intended to put her in her place, but Hermione did not want to back down. "I don't do them either."

For some reason, Harry seemed to be disconcerted with her answer. "Do not even consider anything of the sort, Lady Hermione."

"Why not?" Hermione asked, thinking this absurd since she had been riding the way gentlemen did ever since she was little. Her father never thought to dissuade her from doing what she wanted as long as she was within reason. She couldn't see why she had to stop now.

"It is reckless and dangerous." He simply said, although the effect that he was trying to put on was distorted with the way he kept moving about as Hedwig impatiently trotted.

"All right." She managed to say. As if she really would. She let herself think before looking up at him, expecting him to hear her thoughts and stop her, maybe even change his mind and go with her. But to her surprise, he only nodded.

"Have fun, my lady." He said before shifting his hold to guide Hedwig out of the stable. He barely heard her call out after him as he urged the horse into a trot and then into breakneck speed.

He forced himself not to think about what was happening inside him. It was not good to know that each time he spent with her; she was becoming more a part of him than a casual bystander. He couldn't let that happen. And if the only thing he could do to stop his attraction was avoid her at any cost, then so be it.

As the forest where he usually took Hedwig loomed nearer, the first few drops of rain fell on him. He didn't mind, though. Hell, seeing her like that made him want to take a cold shower, anyway. He'd just have to take it in the rain.

When Hedwig reached the edge of the forest, Harry felt the desire to look back at the stable that he knew was still within sight. A thousand thoughts screamed at his head, each telling himself to give in, but in the end, his rationality returned and he entered the forest.

He started to weave his way through the familiar path that he and Hedwig usually took; all the while muttering about how it had been the more appropriate thing to. Because if he did what he wanted, he wouldn't have just looked, but turned back.

But, had he even dared to so much as glance at where he had been mere minutes ago, he would have seen Hermione riding away from the stables…

Not opposite his direction.

No…

But towards his…

------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

So sorry it took so long for me to update. Haha! I'm through reading the book and I have to say a few things about it.

1. The couples were too forced to be deemed as effective. I know that the book isn't really under the romance genre. It was just added to have more spice in it. But still, adding romance should be done in a way that would convince the readers that it does rightfully exist between the couple. There is nothing right with those couples!

2. Ginny was a complete side character. She wasn't even in the more important parts of the book. And she seemed quite slutty (sorry for the term) when she kissed Harry like that. I know that there are some characters that do just that, but still, I don't think the romance between Harry and Ginny had enough basis to begin with for that churning scene to be acceptable. Perhaps it was meant to show Ginny's courage. But if that was what JK referred to as the one where we would see why she was meant for Harry, I would just have to say: I don't think so.

3. I have to reiterate one of my reviewer's comments. Why would the author let Harry and Hermione, whom she knows are not going to be together, appear in many scenes, in which they were the only characters there?! And the kiss that Ron saw between the two of them? What was JK trying to do? Rub it in our faces about what could happen between Harry and Hermione and then dropping the bomb when she ended the book? Isn't that a little bit perverse?

4. You would think that a kiss was better than a hug, but clearly, the hug that Harry and Hermione shared when they were where Harry's parents were buried was more romantic and natural, than the kiss Hermione and Ron shared at the latter part of the book. Come to think of it, the whole time that Ron was not with them, minus the crying of Hermione over him, had been the sweetest moment in the book. Talk about perverse!

5. Every heroine is always the best for the hero, even if some don't see it that way. Now, Ginny may have become the heroine because the hero (Harry) chose her. But then, pause for a while to think. There is always a heroine even before the hero chooses her. And I don't think it is Ginny. The only character fit to have that claim is Hermione…lame as it is, it's also in her name (Hermione).

Anyway, you can't really ignore the rules of complementing. If there are dukes for duchesses, prince for princesses, heck even bachelors for spinsters, then aren't heroes for heroines?

Thank you for reading the story and the author's note. So sorry that it was a long one, but I had fun writing it. I'm thrilled to say that in two months' time, we'd be having our semestral break, and I could focus on the story more. For now, please read and review. It's always a pleasure and an honor to hear from you, guys! Till then!

-->