Unofficial Portkey Archive

Caught in the Past by hhragent27
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Caught in the Past

hhragent27

A/N:

Waaaaaaah!!!!!!! I am SO SORRY! Definitely understand if you guys refuse to even acknowledge me at this time. It's been so long and I did not mean to have let such a long time pass without updating. There's a lot that's happened and I've been so uninspired lately, I've been toying with this chapter for so long, it's not even worth talking about.

For all you guys who have constantly checked up on me, thank you for reminding me that there are still people waiting for me to write. I've been feeling so useless lately, I don't even know what to do.

-----------------------------

He was close.

Very close.

Tom Riddle's plan is working. Adam Kerrington thought as he lay awake bed. Pity.

He wished he didn't have anything personal against the Potters, but a lot of things had transpired, which he could never dismiss. It had been so easy for Hermione Granger, very easy, to ignore the pleas of his brother. It angered him the most. And this anger fuelled him to the very brink of insanity.

Still, he wondered how it was like to live for nothing more. Never would he have allowed himself to be a pawn in Voldemort's greed if he did not have this thirst for justice.

Soon it will all be over, Lucas.

I promise.

-------------------------------

Hermione's heart grew heavier each step she took to reach the front of the house, where Harry was currently engaged in banter with none other than his godfather, and the rest of their companions. From where she approached, she saw Harry throw back his head in laughter at something Sirius said. Getting close, Hermione felt her heart hitch when his face became clearer. She noticed the way his eyes sparkled as he smiled.

Somehow, they were brighter, and greener, than they'd ever been.

Then, they turned to her.

If it were possible, his smile grew even bigger.

How could he be so cheerful when she felt so withered inside?

It was not as if they were not going to see each other again. But as she had realized the night before, it was going to be hard not being around him, especially after what was revealed the night before.

If it weren't for Harry's wake-up call, she would have thought that their conversation had only happened in her dream, a very vivid one at that. That morning kiss, matched with a much defined declaration of his feelings, had her up and about. If he had qualms over talking about his feelings, or letting people know how he felt, he certainly had nothing against it now. He was not the type to say those words every now and then, but when he did, he usually chose the most opportune moment.

He had left early, coercing her to sleep again after their rather demonstrative declaration. The next thing she knew, the earth has already halfway turned and Harry was getting ready to leave.

"Hermione," Harry called out.

The others turned to watch her as she finally stepped out.

"You simply had to make me continue my sleep, my lord," she scolded. "Now half my day is gone, and soon you will be, too."

"Fret not, love," Harry said, "I shall be back before you know it."

The sudden change in their banter caused a great deal of interest in the group, more so from Sirius. Harry ignored them all and brought Hermione closer to him, his hand caressing the small of her waist. He wanted to give her a kiss but feared that it might be too intimate for outside their bedchambers.

"Good morning, my dear." Sirius broke the silence. "I trust you slept well."

Hermione caught the underlying meaning in his words but refused to give in to the flush creeping up her cheeks. Besides, there was nothing wrong with what transpired between her and Harry.

"Indeed, uncle." Hermione smiled. "I feel much better."

"You do look refreshed, Hermione." Luna commented.

Hermione simply smiled at her friend as Harry's hand disengaged from her waist, only to silently creep down her arm and link with her own.

"I am very glad you came awake before I left. I feared that if you had not, I would have had to wait two weeks to see your eyes again."

From the corner of her vision, Hermione noticed the others step away in discretion, her ears catching bits and pieces of their excuses, such as forgetting to read the morning papers by Lupin, Sirius needing to see to the horses, and in Ron's case, saying good morning to the birds?

Well, whatever they said to get away was fine by her. All that mattered were they let her be alone with Harry for a proper farewell.

"Such fine accomplices I have, don't you agree?" Harry whispered in her ear.

She smiled slightly, though unable to find humour in what he said. She doubted she would even find any with the most accomplished jester in town.

Harry took note of her reserve and frowned.

Sighing, he gently pulled her away from the entrance. It was not the most secluded of areas where he dragged her to, but it gave them quite a bit of privacy.

He took her face between his hands.

"Whatever you feel, my love, I feel twice as much." Harry whispered a hairsbreadth from her lips. "I know this is quite terrible. Trust me, if I could accomplish what I mean to do without being apart from you, I shall gladly take that opportunity. However, I love you too much to leave this at the hands of another. Last night, I told you that I want to keep you safe by me, and if it takes me a fortnight or more to do it, I will."

Hermione blinked back away the tears that were beginning to fill her eyes. "Will you be in harm's way?"

It was a herculean effort not to turn his gaze away from her, but managed to, he did. "It will be risky, but not dangerous to prevent or even delay my return in a fortnight."

If the ground had opened up and swallowed him, Harry would not have wondered why.

A lie, that's what it was.

If Voldemort suspected as well that Ravenclaw's jewel was located in Ravenclaw Keep, and if their movements were indications of their intention to retrieve it soon, they would definitely cross paths.

Collide was more like it.

Hermione would not appreciate any effort, however noble or successful, once she found out he had lied to her. Oh, he was going to make sure he came back all right, but he was not certain she would care to find out where he'd been and what he'd have found.

"I--I love you."

Harry's heart swelled.

He never knew he had one, thought he'd killed it years ago. But it only took a certain chit to revive it, one who had been hell bent on burying it. Funny how coincidence and irony seemed to work wonders in his life.

"I know." Harry caressed her cheek with his thumb. "And that will get me back in your arms before you and I know it."

Hermione raised her brow. "I'm not certain I like being in your arms, my lord."

Harry spanned her waist and pulled her closer. "I'm not certain you're telling the truth, madam."

"Oh, is that so?" Hermione twined her arms about his neck. "Would you care to kiss the truth out of me?"

"You would like to find out, wouldn't you?"

"Oh, yes, I do," Hermione kissed him lightly. "I definitely do."

The corner of Harry's lips curled up slyly as he closed the distance between them and let their breaths mingle and come together into an intoxicating sweetness that only enhanced rather than diminished their need for each other.

All too soon, Sirius appeared just above them, clearing his throat.

"Might I make a suggestion?" he asked.

Harry pulled back from Hermione, but his arms remained where they were comfortably settled.

"Another lecture on my husbandly duties, perhaps?"

Sirius chuckled. "It is not necessary, dear boy. You are doing fine with all that you are displaying, however charming and relieving I believe it is. What I mean to propose is, if you left early, your journey might end sooner than you think; hence, less time you shall be apart from your lovely wife."

Harry shook his head in amusement. "He is right, my dear. I must go."

Hermione nodded with such solemnity one would think she would never see him again.

"Keep yourself busy while I am gone. Godric`s Hollow is in need of a brighter ambience, perhaps you could redecorate the walls? Or if that thumb of yours is capable of reviving rather than mutilating our gardens, you have my permission to plant whatever you want in there, provided you do not overtax yourself."

Hermione smiled at his concern. "What a splendid idea, my lord. I know someone who is most capable for the task!"

Harry's brow raised.

"She pertains to me, your grace."

William's voice joined in, startling Harry out of his absorption with Hermione.

"I did not know you have a talent for agriculture, Averley."

"One of the many you have missed, your grace."

"One has to look for one to miss. I believe I did not care to see at all, for what purpose would it have served? You are merely passing by my estate. I dare not extend any further interest for it may give you leave to suppose a welcome that you have already overtaxed."

"Harry!" Hermione hissed beside him. Her quiet protest only incited his ire.

"Forgive me, your grace, as soon as I am able, I shall depart from your estate."

Hermione heard Harry mutter something like "in a fortnight, perhaps" and she inwardly rolled her eyes at his childishness. She quickly grasped his hand and pulled him away.

"Harry, please. William has been nothing but kind to me, do not insult him where he cannot defend himself."

Harry sighed, but he refused to indicate his affirmation with a nod. To do so would concede defeat. He did not mind losing an argument to his wife, but to give it up in front of a rival was too much for a man's pride to bear.

If William could indeed be called a rival.

One has to be on equal grounds to be considered a threat. William was nothing if not a pest. A thorn on his side that must be watched carefully, for one look away might prick him and give him cause to bleed.

Harry strode away from Hermione after giving her one last kiss, a smack on the lips that lasted no more than a second. He was still bothered by Hermione's defence when Sirius came up beside him and walked him over to his carriage.

"Never let him out of your sight, especially when he is with her." Harry commanded.

Sirius looked perplexed. "Would you not forbid her to see him?"

Somehow, Harry managed to find humour in that. "If I did, would she obey me? Blind obedience is not in Hermione's nature, nor do I want it to be." He looked over where Hermione was busy consoling her friend. He neither felt confidence nor jealousy in his veins as he witnessed the genuine concern in her eyes for William.

Their relationship was not that strong yet, but he would walk on fire for her, do whatever it took to keep her safe. To leave her in the company of another man was foolish, and though there was a chance that their newly found feelings could crumble with the machinations of betrayals and persuasions, he meant to make it so that in the end, into his arms she would prefer to be.

"William Averley is not a fool. He would take advantage of my absence to turn Hermione against me."

Sirius stared at him. "What makes you so certain?"

"He told me so himself."

Sirius heard the graveness in his voice. "Fear not, I shall be on guard."

"It is not only you who should be." From the corner of his eye, Harry saw William leave. He refrained from allowing his gaze to follow Hermione as she approached him and Sirius.

"Go on ahead, Harry." Sirius clapped him on the back. "Return as fast as you can, you have heirs to produce. Mayhap you already have."

The thought of children and the possibility that he and Hermione could have made one already had him stumbling. Unaware that Hermione was watching him with a speculative gaze, he turned to face Sirius.

"There is no need to hurry, Sirius." He tried to say lightly and with nonchalance. "I would rather have a few more years alone with my wife, if she would deem it acceptable."

Hermione swallowed the lump of disappointment in her throat, hoping it was not too late to hide her reaction. She would have been flattered by his preference, except his eyes said otherwise. Never had their conversation directly or indirectly pertained to children.

She was naive to have assumed so early, when it was only last night that he had revealed his true feelings to her. Her hands came to rest on her belly. It was too soon to think of a child. In a fortnight or so, she would be able to tell, but for now, only one thing mattered.

"Be back soon, Harry."

-----------------------------------------------------

The next two weeks did come by in a blur. Not that Hermione did not feel Harry's absence. Each morning, when she woke, she would feel incomplete as she rolled over and took what should have been his place on the bed. She tried to find his scent in his pillows, but the housekeeper had already had the maids change the linen.

She did as she was told. She rested early in the evening, and spent her days redecorating and reviving what once had been the most depressing estate she ever laid eyes on. William had accompanied her from day one, filling her in with all his adventures. To her slight discomfort, Sirius always seemed to be around the two of them, giving her a look of warning each time they were together. Hermione didn't think too much on it. Her godfather was simply looking out for her, just as Harry had probably instructed.

She smiled.

Why he saw the need to guard her was beyond Hermione. She adored Harry with every fibre of her being. Nothing, not even a long-time friend, could change how she felt for him.

At the end of the fourteenth night, Hermione was beside herself with anticipation. No word had yet arrived as to Harry's whereabouts, but she had been confident of his ability and determination to keep his promise.

Yet the fifteenth day came and went, no sign of her husband appeared. Hermione thought nothing of it. The roads were a bit tricky that time of the year; Harry must only be exercising caution.

Despite her worries, she had enjoyed her day with William as he took her in the gardens for a stroll, showing her the development with the roses they had planted beginning the first of the many nights Harry had been absent.

She slept early, knowing full well that she would have to wake up at dawn, positive that Harry would come striding through the door then, demanding to see her.

Two more nights came and went, Hermione started to wonder. Wonder, mind you, but not really worry. After all, three days after fourteen was hardly enough to incite any sort of warning. Harry was no master of time. He certainly could not control how fast it flew by.

The first string of doubt and worry tugged at Hermione's heart when neither a word nor a note came by even after a senight had passed. She supposed she knew her husband well enough by now that whatever had happened, he'd ensured that she would know.

"Do not fret, my dear." Sirius assured her as they sat down for dinner.

"It has been three weeks, Sirius." Hermione knew he was aware of that, but nevertheless felt the need to say it. "What could have gone wrong?"

"Nothing." Sirius said, although the lines in his mouth were unsmiling and his eyes were strained from the worry he was definitely trying to subdue.

Yet she kept her mouth shut. Sometimes, knowing nothing at all was better. She didn't need any more reason to be edgier than she already was.

------------------------------

"Arrange the carriage for me, if you please. I need to look for my husband." Hermione commanded, her voice laced with agony.

It has already been a month since Harry left. Each day that passed by that he did not return, Hermione felt more and more certain that something had happened. It was nearing midnight, yet she didn't care. She would start on her journey early. The sooner she left, the sooner she would find him. Besides, with all the possibilities creeping in her mind, she doubted she'd be getting any sleep in the days to come.

As the butler reluctantly turned to do her bidding, Sirius strode forward, anger on his face. "Stop this nonsense, Hermione. You are not going out there. It's the middle of the night, for God's sake! I do not need to worry about you as well."

Hermione lifted her chin. "Then why do you not look for your godson! He's out there, and I have no notion as to whether he is all right. I need to go, Sirius. If you must come with me, then so be it!"

Sirius grabbed her arm as she made a move to walk out the drawing room.

"Harry entrusted you in my care, Hermione. And my decision is final."

Hermione snatched her arm away, uncaring that she was talking to somebody she respected and loved deeply. "I will not follow anybody's command, Sirius. Not when my husband's welfare is in question." Then she implored with sad eyes, eyes blood shot from worry and unshed tears. "Please, Sirius. I need to know whether he is all right. I cannot just sit by, waiting for him."

Sirius raked a hand through his hair, fighting a losing battle.

And then he sighed.

"All right," he muttered with a curse. "I will come with you. However, we shall leave in broad daylight. I do not want the risk that we could be mugged while on a rescue mission."

Hermione bit her lip. She was given a condition that neither favoured her or Harry, yet she knew it was wise that she heed his "advice".

With a resigned wave of her hand, she said. "All right."

When she started toward the door, Sirius caught her hand again. "Where are you going?"

"To the ducal suite."

"Good. Rest for tonight so you shall have plenty of energy tomorrow."

Hermione shook her head. "I will not try to sleep, Sirius. I just need to be alone."

Leaving him without another word, Hermione went out.

----------------------------------------

It was half past three in the morning when Hermione's pacing ceased at the sudden rise of noise from below. She didn't think too much on it until the door to the ducal suite burst open and in came Sirius with a grave look. She opened her mouth to ask, fearing for the worst, when Lupin and Ron, along with two burly men she did not know, came in with such urgency, carrying a made-up gurney.

She gasped.

On top of it lay Harry, writhing in delirium.

"Harry!" she yelled as she approached him in frenzy. She felt his forehead and gasped for a second time as her hand came in contact with so much heat. "What happened?" She turned her eyes to Sirius and then to Ron.

Neither one looked at her, and it was Lupin who spoke. "Gunshot wound on his shoulder. It's festering and has caused an infection. The leech that treated him had not been as thorough as possible. He had gotten the bullet out, yet had not given much thought on healing."

Hermione bit her lip as she listened to Lupin, yet all she could register was that Harry was suffering from an infection. She turned to her husband, questions forming in her mind, questions that were best set aside for later. For now, he needed her.

She watched as they laid him down on the bed. She moved closer and peeled off the bandage that covered his left shoulder. Harry flinched as she did for some of the pus that had developed on his wound had pasted the dressing on his skin, causing it to peel off as well.

She wanted to turn away from the repugnant look and smell, but found it in her heart to concentrate more on the fact that Harry was carrying a far heavier burden than she. She recognized the moment as one in which she can pay him back for being there when she needed him.

"Harry?" she whispered against his ear, knowing full well that her voice would carry out to his dulled senses. And sure enough, as soon as the last syllable of his name left her lips, his eyes slowly opened. Despite the pain behind them, she saw recognition in them.

"H-Hermione..." he tried to lift his hand, but weak as he was; all he managed to do was clench it. "Sorry...I was...late."

Hermione shook her head, tiny droplets of her unshed tears falling free with the movement. "Shh." She crooned.

The next few days went by in a blur. Hermione did not remember much of what she did. She stayed next to her husband, tending to him. Whenever he called her name in his sleep, she immediately sat beside him and held his hand. Sometimes, when the pain of seeing him became too much, she hid herself behind the dressing screen and pretended to wash her face. No one needed to see her so distraught for they would surely insist she leave the room to compose herself or get some rest.

"Hermione?" Someone was shaking her.

She opened her eyes, unaware that she had been asleep until then. She sat up abruptly, raking a hand through her already dishevelled hair. Noticing the hand that slightly pressed her shoulder, she turned around and met William's concerned stare.

"What hour is it? How long have I been asleep?"

"It is well past noon," he helpfully supplied. His eyes shifted to the man who lay in front of her, his expression sombre. She took a deep breath and followed his gaze. Harry's complexion was still pale, but in comparison with how he looked a few days earlier, it was much improved.

"I wonder if it would be too presumptuous of me to suggest a moment's rest, your grace," he shoved his hands into his pockets. "Perhaps a stroll in the garden would revive your spirits?"

Unwilling to leave Harry's side yet admittedly tired to decline, Hermione nodded. She gathered up her shawl and followed William out the door, stealing another glance at her husband who showed no sign of movement save for the subtle rise and fall of his stomach beneath the heavy covers.

Once in the garden, Hermione turned her face up towards the sky. It was a particularly sunny day, a direct contrast to how dark and gloomy her life still was. With all that had happened, she no longer remembered how it felt like to live normally. She breathed in the scent of fresh air and for once in a long time, revelled in the satisfaction of just being able to breathe.

"I am glad you are enjoying this moment, Hermione." William's voice broke into her reverie.

Abruptly, Hermione lowered her head. She braced her arms around her and smiled at him though it was not quite as heartfelt. "Yes, I am. Thank you for bringing me here, Will."

Her breath caught as she looked at his face. For a long time, she had forgotten how close they had been and how she used to believe that if fate had had other plans, she and he would have married. He was still the same friend she had went on mountain and river adventures with, yet there was a change in him she could not quite fathom.

"I should go back to Harry," she whispered, words that only she could hear. She felt guilty that she was out in the sun, enjoying the warmth while her husband lay in bed, his fate still unknown.

William reached out for her hand as she attempted to walk away. A tug one second after brought her in his embrace. For a moment, Hermione felt awkward. He was a close friend, yet somehow, his hold did not seem familiar. It was not of a friend, but of someone who looked at her differently. And for the first time, Hermione could see why Harry had been wary of William.

"You have done enough for him, Hermione."

"As you have for me, Will." Hermione tried to push him away, but he still held on. "But I cannot be out here for long. Harry will need me when he wakes up."

"Stay for a few more minutes, Hermione," he coaxed gently in her ear. "The duke is not going to wake up while you are here, certainly you know that. It would be too ironic."

"Yet, irony finds its way into our lives more often than we expect them to."

Hermione's eyes widened in surprise.

Surely, it was not true.

Yet there he was, standing in front of them, albeit leaning on Sirius' shoulder.

Hermione met her godfather's disapproving gaze. But it was nothing compared to how Harry was looking at them.

"You are awake," she whispered numbly. She wanted to run to him and make sure he was indeed finally conscious and breathing and that this was not just another replay of the dreams she'd recently acquired these past few nights.

Harry shifted his weight from one foot to the other, exhaustion marring his features.

"So I am." Though his tone was gently and playful, Hermione could sense his annoyance.

"Y-you should not be out of bed, Harry." She scolded lamely. "You need rest."

"He insisted we find you, Hermione," Sirius said. "He said---"

"Never mind what I said, Sirius." Harry interrupted, turning that look towards his godfather, granting Hermione a momentary reprieve. "Apparently, I misheard you earlier."

Sirius squeezed Harry's shoulders in warning. Harry only shrugged his hand off and turned to leave. But due to exhaustion and a week's disuse, his limbs did not quite match the demands of his brain, and so he toppled over and fell onto the soft ground. Hermione immediately rushed to his side but Harry refused her help. Stung, she could only watch as he clutched Sirius' shoulder and may his way back to the ducal suite.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You told me she was worried, Sirius."

Harry lay in bed like an invalid, waiting for Sirius' response. His fists were clenched and they had been since he regained consciousness after falling like a fool in front of his wife and her `friend'.He had woken up earlier after what seemed like a thousand years, and his first emotion was worry for she had not been there.

In the depths of his heart, he had expected her to be watching over him. Yet, it set his mind slightly at ease that she had not been where he had hoped. It would be too harsh of a punishment to have her at his beck and call after having put her through so much.

"She was." Sirius reaffirmed firmly. "And she still is."

An image of Hermione in William's arms flashed before him and he cursed in an attempt to brush it away.

Sirius read his mind. "Pay no heed to what you saw, my boy," he condescended, making Harry want to snap. "It was an innocent hug, to say the least. William is her friend. He cares about her; therefore, he felt the need to give his support. As for Hermione, your wife loves you and only you. I and the rest of your household can atone for that fact."

He closed his eyes, still much too sensitive to believe or even pay heed to his godfather's argument.

"You may have not witnessed how she nursed you back to health, but surely you felt her concern. She stayed by your side, even when you had tossed and turned in fitful sleeps at night."

His mind worked while his heart rebelled. Surely, he was allowed to sulk even for just an hour, wasn't he?

"And keep in mind, you lied to her before leaving, and until now, she does not know why and what it is you are keeping from her."

Harry scoffed. He knew he was being too selfish, too caught up with immaturity. He did see his wife's distress, but the workings of his corrupted mind were too convincing to overlook. Ignoring Sirius' pointed look, he closed his eyes and muttered, "Send for her."

-------------------------------------------------------

"You are never to go near William Averley again."

Harry commanded the moment Hermione entered the room. She had been summoned by Sirius and in high hopes that Harry had calmed already, Hermione had gone in without a second thought. She had not expected such a decree as a greeting.

"From where did such an order come, my lord?" She demanded as equally.

Harry's brows furrowed. "Do as I say and we will have no more disputes."

"Indeed." Hermione nodded. She regarded him with a very patient, very un-Hermione stare. "Where in heaven's name did you find the notion that I would agree with such an unfounded request." She said the word sarcastically, knowing her mockery would fuel the fire that her refusal had already inflamed.

"I am your husband."

"Therefore it guarantees you my blind obedience?" Hermione raised her brow. She crossed her arms. "While you reassure yourself of your position, it will do well for you to remember that I am your wife."

"That is awfully evident, what is your point?"

"I am your other half, and as it is so, I am entitled to know what is happening in this marriage."

Harry tried to reply but found that there was not any he could find. Yet, as a man, and more importantly, a man fed by jealousy, he refused to back down without a fight. He intended to win it in order for Hermione to see reason and stay away from that bastard she calls `friend'.

"My own affairs do not require your awareness, Hermione."

"Are they truly your own?" Hermione lifted her chin in defiance. "Pray tell me what these affairs are that I may judge whether they concern me or not."

"It is not matter of involvement; it is a matter of security."

"Security?!" She scoffed. "I was but a breath away from going after you without company and in the middle of the night. My safety had been in jeopardy then, and it still is now! And so is yours, yet you do not have me hiding anything or trying to put you out of harm's way."

Harry glared at her, only to have her glare at him in return.

"And you had lied to me!"

"Not blatantly."

"A lie, nonetheless. Your evasion is already an admittance that you meant to keep the truth from me. How do you think that makes me feel, my lord?"

Harry turned his head away to avoid the hurt in her eyes. Not only did he detest the fact that she had caught him singlehandedly, but he also did not care that she had resumed formality by addressing him what was due his title.

They were silent for a moment, only the incessant chirping of the birds from the open balcony doors broke the silence. When it seemed Hermione could not form the words that surely her thoughts were trying to push out, Harry sighed. "I simply refrained from telling you the details of my journey."

Hermione glowered at him. Though she stood prim and proper in front of him, Harry felt intimidated. Perhaps that was too strong a word for what he felt. He merely felt dreadful for causing her so much worry. She did not have to tell him how much she had waited. It was clearly seen on her face.

"You are cruel to twist the truth, my lord, for you know me better than that." Hermione continued eerily. "What matter did your trip involve for you to have been harmed as you were?"

Harry sighed. "It is of no consequence, Hermione. I am well and alive. What more do you need?"

Hermione shook her head. "Do I not deserve to know the reason I needed to tend to you these past nights?" She caught his gaze and suddenly, he could no more keep the truth from her than he could deny how her sadness tore him. "Please...?"

And with that one word, he was undone.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hermione could not believe what she just heard. It was one thing that Harry tried to protect her without her knowledge, but it was another to have done so believing she did not need to be involved when her own life was at stake---even more so that he had put his life on the line.

She paced back and forth despite Harry's complaint of getting dizzier and dizzier by the minute. She just could not fathom how he had come to such a demeaning conclusion.

"What outcome did you imagine when you had decided I would be left out of this?" Hermione asked, rambling more to herself than directly talking to him. "My estate was involved! It still is. I am Ravenclaw's Keeper of Estate! It is my Jewel and it was my home you plundered!"

"I did not mean to make you worry."

"But you did!" she shouted. "You should have known I would be no matter what you did. You were gone, Harry. Do you know how it felt to have waited for days and then weeks without a word of your condition?"

"I don't. I cannot presume to know. I only know that I felt guilty leaving you. Yet, I would never picture anything differently, would not have done anything differently. I believe with utmost sincerity that keeping it a secret was a very rational decision on my part! I appreciate the concern, Hermione, I really do."

Then he shook his head. "Although, I must admit that its extent is quite questionable. How concerned were you really?" Harry scoffed. "While it is extremely comforting to know that I still have your care, I wonder about your attention."

"I will not bother to ask what you are talking about for it is clearly all that is in your mind." Hermione shook her head. "With everything that's happened between us, how is it that you can even think that?"

"Forgive me."

"For what, Harry? For lying to me or for accusing me?" Hermione took a deep breath. "Because frankly, I don't think I can forgive you for either one."

"No." Harry turned away. "Forgive me if I find it hard not to think about it. It bothers me to think you can even find time for him when I've been unwell for the past few days."

Somehow, Hermione found the nerve to laugh. She did not even correct his assumption."Are you jealous over William? He is my friend, Harry! You are my husband. There is no question with whom my loyalties lie."

"I. Am. Not. Jealous."

"What other reason could there be? You are speaking irrationally, without asking questions and without sufficient cause. You are being too stubborn to listen to reason. If that is not jealousy, I do not know what is."

"Jealous, yes. But when you married me, that foolish sentiment came with it."

"If that is so foolish, how is it that you admit to feeling it? How can you even feel it?"

"If it is foolish to be jealous, then do not mind me. I've been a fool for a long time over you; this time will not make any difference."

As far as romantic speeches went, this one did not pass. It pleased her that he was emphasizing even more how he felt about her, but he was making her choose. Granted he was more important, she could not just dismiss William as if he were just a fly she wanted to swat away like Harry did.

"Say what you want, think what you will," Harry continued with a glare. "But do not go against my wishes, Hermione. This time, I could do without your wilfulness."

And just like that she was dismissed. She knew he would no longer say anything on the matter, not even hear a word she had to say. And although she had a lot to say, nothing would make him see reason.

"Well then. Have a good day, my lord."

She curtsied and took great pleasure in hearing him curse.

-------------------------------------------------

A knock on her door had Hermione looking up from the book she could not even remember opening. She did not come down for dinner, feeling so weary, and even refused a personal invitation from Harry. She did not even pause to wonder how he could have recovered so quickly from his earlier state. She was still miffed about his immaturity, yet deep in her heart, she could not avoid him forever.

Not with her living under the same roof as him...

Not when his room was right next to hers...

Not when she loved him so much that the thought of a continuous silent war with him was making her ill...

Literally ill...

"Yes?"

Her heart missed a beat as Harry entered. He looked at her with such intense green eyes. Even from across the room she could feel their entreaty.

"How are you feeling?"

Hermione frowned. "That matter should be addressed to you, my lord."

He seemed to hesitate as he walked towards her bed. "I discovered that I rather have a remarkable recuperating ability, especially when I know you were somewhere in this mansion, hating me."

A hesitant smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

"I could never hate you, Harry..." As his eyebrow lifted in slight disbelief, she amended. "Again."

With more confidence, her husband sat right by her hip. Her book forgotten, she waited for him to speak as she set it aside.

"I am sorry for my tone earlier." He took her hand, bent over to kiss it. "I rather like having you all to myself. That is all. Seeing you earlier with William Averley, let us just leave it as a very unwelcomed sight. Surely you can understand."

She sighed. "I can. To imagine you even smiling at another female is unfathomable. Yet, I wish you would also try to accept my point. William is all that I have from the life I once lived. I know you truly do not wish for me to dwell anymore in the past, but it cannot be helped, Harry. He is somebody I once considered family. Though it's been years since we had last seen each other, we have history."

It was Harry's turn to sigh. "I shall try."

Glad that he had consented to at least that, Hermione brought his hand to her lips. "You do not have to worry about anything. I love you."

His chest seemed to puff out at her words. "Oh, I won't. Not anymore. Now that I am here, I would most definitely make it a point to keep you company all the time, William will not even get to spend a second with you."

Hermione's lips quirked at this. "And just how do you think we'll spend all that time every day?"

Harry tugged her closer. He framed her face in between his hands and kissed her. Quite thoroughly. "You are brilliant, Hermione. I trust you know what I have in mind."

Hermione grinned at him wickedly and pulled him in for a hug instead. She felt Harry's arms tighten around her. She smiled, thinking how protective he was and glad that she was the recipient of his security. She pulled back, loving the tender look on his face. She would have bought his happiness, mind you, if only his eyes weren't troubled...

---------------------------------

A/N:

Not the ending of the chapter I wished to make but it had gone on long enough, I think. I merely wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive and very much keen on finishing this story. As usual, life has been happening to me, so I'll be very honest. The story is not really my number one priority. I write when I feel like it, which hasn't been happening lately. And this story is turning out to be more of a novel than what I anticipated. I feel bad that I keep leaving you guys hanging, but I just wanted you to know that if you're still interested, I'll be very happy to continue writing this. It's more of a personal goal, but I would still love your opinion. Right now, it looks like this novel still has a long way to go, but I simply don't like rushing things. Getting to the end is what counts rather than the end itself and trust me when I say, it's close, very close....so with that being said, I leave you to your devices, review if you feel like it, bash me if you will, but I've long since learned, comments are what keeps me going. No matter if it's good or bad, either one inspires me to write. Again, thank you for reading and you'll hear from me again!

-->