Unofficial Portkey Archive

Caught in the Past by hhragent27
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Caught in the Past

hhragent27

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Harry Potter, J.K. does, and she has every right to do whatever she thinks is best for Harry Potter. I just love writing. So sue me. Wait, seriously… don't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Hey, guys! This is a surprisingly early update, huh? I guess, I got so excited with the way the last chapter turned out. I'm so happy, really that I did not receive any negative remarks on it.

Thank you so much to those who reviewed. Really…thank you. You know who you are.

And now, here's hoping I won't get any negative remarks this time either…enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sennight earlier…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miles and miles away from the cottage where the Duke of Gryffindor was said to have been stranded with the Countess of Ravenclaw, a man was standing in front of a palatial home that looked to have been left to fend on its own, an expression of pure disgust written all over his face.

The mansion would have been beautiful, he snorted at the irony, but because of pure abandon and negligence, what was once considered a home, was not even fit to be a house at all.

For humans, that is.

Mice, roaches, termites---for them, it would have been a haven.

With his cloak billowing behind him, this tall, mysterious man walked up the steps that led to the entrance. His arrival must have been expected greatly because no sooner than he could raise the brass knocker, rusty with age, the door creaked open revealing a very forlorn looking fellow with graying hair and a failing back.

It was all for the better, he thought, entering the abode. Touching the thing might have infected him without warning.

Mindful of the glances that the servants, or what was left of them, were giving him, he followed the butler, mimicking his footsteps. He was in no hurry, and so he let the old man take as much time as his age needed. The stairs creaked beneath his weight, but it did not give away. For that, he was much relieved.

As he continued up the steps to the only place they probably thought would suit him, he thought of the reason he was here, tolerating what seemed to be prison when he could have been at home, dealing with his own business, like he'd always envisioned doing.

He'd never been a free man, for his whole life had been a captive of another. He roamed about freely, traveled to whatever place his heart desired. But duty, to his family and to his heart, had him chained to his ancestry.

Had he the strength to forget about everything, he would have disowned himself from obligations, even from the man to whom he owed his very life. He was grateful to his lord, oh yes, but it was hard to love such a cynical and selfish man. If only it weren't for his own selfish reasons, he would not have tolerated so much of the baron's greed.

Five days had gone past since the night he had received a letter from a tall, burly man, who had introduced himself as Cairn Mason. It contained a letter; summoning him to this hellhole he had disliked growing up, written by the baron himself. He had intended to ignore the call, but well aware that his resistance would only oblige them to use force, he decided to go the easier way.

The butler knocked on the door before opening it. "He is here, my lord."

An old man's voice, a sound no longer foreign to him yet eerie quite the same, came softly through the gap. It occurred to him then that he was not yet prepared to face his fate. It had been quite a few months, a year at most, since he had last conversed with the Slytherin lord. The last time he did, he had agreed to come on a day meant for this particular reason. He just didn't think it would be this soon.

"Come in, Adam."

With purposeful strides, Adam walked in. His head was in the air, his mouth set in a stern line, and his senses as sharp as a newly whetted knife. His eyes scanned the room, settling on the aging man seated behind a wide, wooden desk.

"I trust you already know the reason I have summoned you."

The young man refused to speak until he was comfortably seated on the only presentable chair he could find. It put him directly across his host. "Has there ever been a moment you let me forget?" He asked bitterly. "My lord?" He added with menace.

Voldemort pursed his lips together. He did not like this boy's tone, neither did he find his attitude endearing. But if he were to acquire everything he wanted, there was no denying Adam would be the one to get it for him.

"I only did what I had to do." Voldemort replied precariously. "Perhaps, I ought to ask you whether you are ready."

"For wedlock?!" he gave a short bark of laughter. "A thousand years may pass and I would not be set even then." Then he scoffed. "But even if I weren't, you will not give me any other choice, will you?"

Voldemort idly drummed his fingers onto his table, trying to gauge the young man's reaction. "You have always had the choice to walk away, Adam. It is not I who makes you stay. You chose your own fate." He drawled out, his voice sneering. "Or have you forgotten what it had once caused you?"

Adam gritted his teeth, pain slashing through his eyes. "I remember it just fine!"

Voldemort smiled secretly, knowing how to get to him without even trying. "Now then, you have been informed of what has happened?"

Adam gave a curt nod. And then he idly rubbed his jaw. "The countess would already be a duchess before I can ask for her hand, I assure you. It is in my knowledge that she would wed him the moment they are found."

Voldemort shook his head. "You and I both know that Hermione Granger is as stubborn as they come. She would not let anybody force her into marriage, even if her reputation has been ruined."

He raised one brow. "And what makes you so certain she would marry me?"

"Oh, she will." Voldemort sneered, almost deliriously. "She most certainly will."

Adam sighed, giving in past his concerns. He had nothing else to lose; he recalled bitterly, nothing else that mattered anyway. "Well then, what do you plan to do?"

Voldemort smiled, although the effect was more of frightening than appealing. "Abduct her, of course."

"Ah." It was Adam's turn to sneer. "Back to your old habits?"

Voldemort refused to be annoyed. "They do die hard."

He shook his head. "Hypothetically speaking, which cannot be far from the truth, I assure you, if the countess marries the duke before you can find the opportunity to abduct her, what is your next move?"

"Seize her before he beds her."

At his silence, Voldemort continued.

"Adam, Adam." He drawled out. "You disappoint me. Do you not understand me well enough by now?"

"I try not to," Adam goaded.

Voldemort silenced him with a look. "My men are currently outside the Black mansion, keeping vigil for any sign of loose security on the countess. Once that opportunity comes, she will be taken to Prython Hill, where she will be held captive."

"And my part?"

Voldemort stood up and began to pace, already on the roll. "You shall be waiting at the inn, anticipating their arrival. Once they have reached the village, you will know. My men will make a racket no one within hearing shall be able to ignore."

Adam shook his head disbelievingly. "And when I hear them?" He asked. "What must I do?"

"Nothing more but play the gallant hero."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

At present…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though it could be recalled that Hermione Granger --- or Hermione Potter, as was already the case --- was very skilled in hiding her true feelings, a fraction of a second was all it took for Harry to notice that something was wrong with his wife.

"Is something amiss, your grace?" he asked.

Hermione looked up from the ground, startled by his presence and his address. She thought he had gone back to the carriage long before she had started to return, but there he was, waiting just beyond the tall bushes. He had been completely hidden until the moment she had neared his spot.

Blushing a little at the thought of what he might have heard, Hermione continue forward. "You need not have waited, your grace, I would have found my way back quite easily."

"I do not mean to belittle your capabilities in navigation, but I had to make sure you returned unharmed." Harry gallantly explained. And then his words turned serious, as well as his face, when he addressed his first concern. "Are you all right?"

She simply gave him a distracted smile before walking past him. Harry frowned, quite unable to describe what was with her that made him think something was not right. And then he saw it, realizing at the exact same time that he'd been a blind fool to have just recognized it.

"Your grace," Harry called after her.

She stopped and turned around, wonder in her face. "Why are you calling me `your grace' all of a sudden?"

"I was not aware that you have given me leave to call you by your given name."

"But you have used it before, have you not?"

"Yes, well," Harry waving the notion away as he walked slowly to her side. "May I call you Hermione?"

"Yes, you may."

He nodded, obviously satisfied with her answer. "Shall we get back to the carriage now?"

"Of course."

"Wait," his voice commanded just as she turned around.

Hermione looked back uncertainly at Harry who seemed to be lost in thought. There was no time to react, however, or even voice out the question forming on her lips because in the next instant, he had her swiftly but carefully off her feet and into in his arms.

"Your Grace!" her astonished expletive rushed out of her before she could control herself.

"Harry."

"What?"

"Call me Harry."

She blinked at his response. "I have called you Harry before," she reminded him, momentarily forgetting her original concern.

"Yes, but if you would recall, those were unguarded moments." He explained pointedly. "I would prefer it much better if you intentionally call me by my name."

She nodded. "As you wish." And then her breath quivered slightly. "But, I do not need further assistance. I'm quite all right."

He silenced her with a single look. "Injuries, madam, are not supposed to be taken lightly."

Hermione's mouth formed a slight `o' before she closed it. It was not really because she thought she didn't need his help, but it was more of the fact that she was suddenly uncomfortable with him like this. Considering that he had carried her yesterday, she shouldn't be quite ill at ease today, should she?

"It is only a sprain, your g--- Harry, not broken, as I had originally assumed. I was allowed to exercise it for a sooner recovery."

"Yes, but the physician did not say you can stay on your feet all the time, did he?"

Hermione overlooked his snide tone by the realization that he cared about her after all, enough to have acquired about her state from the physician. She kept her eyes on him in amazement.

"What are you staring at?" Harry asked after a while, his discomfort quite evident.

"Nothing." She quickly lied, turning her head away.

"Here we are." Harry said as soon as they stepped out of the woods and into the visibility of his coachman and William Averley. The muscle in his jaw ticked as he saw the pompous ass straighten, his eyes mirroring the concern he himself had felt for Hermione earlier.

"What happened?" William asked, stepping closer and meeting them halfway.

Harry had the strong urge not to say anything, but he didn't want Hermione to know that he was affected by her long lost friend.

"I fear I might have used my ankle for an unreasonably long time and it grew weary on me." Hermione explained before he could.

William looked at Harry accusingly.

Harry glared right back.

"You need not be overly concerned, she only needs some rest." Harry gritted, walking past him, and acknowledging his coachman with a nod. "We shall continue our journey to Bertshire now."

Hermione said no more of the exchange and just waited until Harry finally deposited her in the carriage. If she found anything wrong with the fact that he positioned her on his side of the ride, she kept her mouth shut.

Moments later, the carriage slightly dipped as her husband's weight drew it to one side when he entered. He took the empty place next to hers, adjusting her skirts somewhat to accommodate his body.

`I won't make the same mistake twice, if that's what you think.' Harry thought, throwing William a glance.

It irked him how the man didn't seem fazed, even as he saw and took in the change of positions upon getting inside.

Really, what was he up to?

Harry tapped on the roof of the carriage to signal the coachman that they were all set to depart. A second later, they heard the lash of a single whip and a bawl, the sounds urging his team of steeds to finally move.

Harry originally did not think that Hermione's ankle pained her all that much until he began to notice that each time their carriage wheel rolled over a bump on the road, her breath hitched.

After some time, he could no longer remain indifferent.

"Would you feel better if the team slowed down?" he asked.

Hermione looked up, probably surprised of his attention, and then shook her head. "I told you, I'm fine. It is merely throbbing."

"Perhaps if you propped it onto the cushion…" Harry began to suggest.

"Allow me, your grace." William interrupted, already bending down to take hold of Hermione's foot. "Begging your pardon for this, Hermione." He whispered before lifting the foot up and placing it gently onto the empty space beside him.

Seeing that it was still lolling from one side to the other, William removed his cloak and placed it around her foot to keep it in place.

"That feels much better, doesn't it?" he asked, looking up.

"Yes, yes, it does." Hermione smiled warmly at him, missing the exasperated look that crossed Harry's face. "Thank you."

"That was considerate of you, Averley." Harry managed to say.

"It was nothing, your grace." William inclined his head modestly. "Hermione's comfort was my only concern."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not long after their journey began, Hermione started to feel the effect of the swaying carriage to her senses. She softly yawned and blinked several times, trying to keep her eyes open for the sake of her company, but she was slowly losing the battle.

"Tired already?" Harry asked her, quickly sensing the change in her mood as usual.

Hermione looked up at him with hooded eyes. "Not so much," she murmured, and then her head accidentally landed softly on Harry's shoulder. Then she jerked upright to look at him sheepishly. "But I do feel sleepy."

Harry's lips twitched at the way she sounded like a child. "You may have your rest, my lady; it will be hours till we reach Bertshire. I shall wake you the moment we arrive so that you can see Mr. Averley off."

"That's right," Hermione realized. "Will would be leaving soon." She turned her head to focus her sleepy eyes on William. "I am sorry. I've been terrible company, haven't I?"

"You need not bother yourself, Hermione." William smiled. "I am certain there will be other times for conversation."

"In that case," she mumbled, already her voice drifting into slumber. "I shall trust my husband to keep you company." She yawned again, this time, her words merged with it. "Harry, do you mind?"

"No, I do not."

"Thank you. I appreciate---"

"Sleep."

She nodded her assent and closed her eyes, leaning on the side of the moving carriage.

"I believe the comfort you seek cannot be found there, my lady." Harry murmured.

Before Hermione could wonder what he was talking about, Harry had already pulled her to his side, his palm gently placing her head on his shoulder.

Hermione opened her mouth in faint surprise, and then sighed, agreeing with him. "You are quite right, my lord." She closed her eyes and then finally gave in to slumber, unconsciously snuggling next to his warmth.

Harry felt something tug at his heart as Hermione burrowed next to him trustingly. He even managed to suppress the urge to gloat at William, knowing that the intimacy was not supposed to be considered part of the unspoken challenge between them.

A challenge that should not have been issued, however indirectly it had been.

He was her husband; William was just her friend.

Apparently, William's eyes were not as clear as they ought to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry had no intention, whatsoever, to talk to William at all.

Since the moment Hermione had laid her head on his shoulder to sleep, he'd been content to simply revel in the peace that had enveloped his senses, and was loath to give it up by a conversation he did not want to either initiate or keep up.

Whatever reservation he possessed for William was still there, but it had not been bothered him as much as it had earlier. He saw no point in dwelling on it further, for as long as the man left him alone.

But Harry had the feeling that an aversion to silence was a thing that William and Hermione shared, and so, he did not expect him to stay still longer than necessary. If only it was not his peace that was at risk here.

"Why don't you ask the question, your grace?" William crossed his arms across his chest, challenging Harry with a stare. "I know you have been waiting for this opportunity all day."

Harry pretended not to hear, though William had been rather accurate with what he said.

"You do not mean to ignore me for the rest of the day," he drawled out, amused. "Denying my presence will only be a waste of your time, for I do not plan to disappear any time soon."

Harry gave him a deadly glare at his words. "Exactly what are you insinuating?"

"Just that." William smiled.

Harry's eyes narrowed as he fought to keep his emotions intact. Glancing surreptitiously at the sleeping woman beside him, he found himself smiling despite his irritation. "Who are you?"

William caught the look Harry had given Hermione, and he smirked. "I am who I said I am."

"Is that so? Then why was it that even though you already knew I was married to Hermione, you intentionally had me believed you did not?"

"I thought it was funny." William shrugged. "Besides, I wanted to know what she is to you before I revealed who she is to me."

"Be that as it may, I do not stand for you following us in that inn." Harry said.

William rubbed his jaw with his thumb and forefinger. "That was unintentional."

Harry narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

"In fact, believe it or not, everything was unintentional, except for me pretending I did not know your wife, of course." William explained.

What is it with this guy, Harry couldn't help but think. Nothing seems to bother him.

"I arrived at the inn before you did. When word got out that a duke was staying in for the night, naturally, I was curious. You came in the next minute with Hermione and that was when I knew she was with you." William leaned back casually, drumming his fingers on the windowsill of the carriage.

"Is that so?" Harry challenged. "What if I merely accompanied her inside?"

"I know Hermione better than you think. I grew up with her and I know that she has principles. And one of them dictates that she refuses the company of men of which she has no relation." William said matter-of-factly. "Marriage would have been the only exception to her rule."

Harry wanted nothing more than to wipe that smug of his face with the narration of the strange courtship that led to his marriage with Hermione. But the fact that the story was private and somewhat dishonoring, he kept his mouth shut.

"Getting drunk beside me was also a coincidence. But when you started to talk quite honestly, I wanted to know more."

"And everything you said? What was that?" Harry could still recall, despite his drunken stupor that night, all that William had said to him. At that time, they seemed completely harmless as he had not been aware those threats were actually meant for him.

"Consider it a word of warning, your grace."

Harry's fist clenched at his side. "I do not need your warning, Averley, or anybody else's for that matter."

"Don't you?" William's eyes narrowed accusingly. There was such anger in his eyes that Harry had to blink to remain unfazed. "If Hermione is safer with you than she is with me, then kindly explain to me, your grace, why she is sporting what seems to be fading bruises and a sprained ankle?!"

Harry's hold on Hermione unconsciously tightened. "That is none of your concern."

"Is it not?" William whispered. "Has it not occurred to you that what I am seeing is enough for me to take her away from you?"

"God! It's revolting how you think you have the right," Harry said. "Who are you again?"

William understood the question perfectly. "I am her best friend." He crossed his arms, tilting his chin. "She trusts me more than she trusts you."

Harry laughed, feeling quite elated. "You'd be surprised to know that that isn't anymore the case, Averley." Harry challenged, his eyes meeting his dead on. "Didn't she send you away from Ravenclaw?"

William's eyes narrowed. "What difference does that make?"

Harry snickered again.

"Well, you see," he rubbed his jaw. "She married me."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hermione."

Harry gently touched Hermione's shoulder to rouse her from her sleep.

They had arrived at Bertshire three hours after she had dozed off. William had already alighted from the carriage, and he was now waiting for Hermione so they could say goodbye to each other---forever, if he had any say in it.

Harry choked back fresh bubbles of laughter as he recalled how William had been quiet after his abrupt proclamation of Hermione marrying him. It had almost been comical, had he not been so serious that time, the way William opened his mouth to say his retort, but nothing came out.

That had dampened his spirit, and so the remainder of the journey had been spent in silence, which was altogether preferred by him. Harry had the feeling he had not heard the last from William, but if silence was what prevailed now, he would take it.

After a couple more nudges, Hermione woke, her eyes slowly fluttering open. The moment she registered who was in front of her with a whisper of his name, Harry smiled.

"We've arrived."

Hermione straightened, lifting her head, which all this time had been resting quite comfortably on his shoulders. Harry watched her as she raked a hand through her hair. He waited for her to finish all the while rotating his shoulders to loosen the muscles that had begun to numb from being kept still for so long.

Instead of being apologetic, Hermione raised her eyebrows at him and said playfully. "Do not complain of pain, my lord, you were the one who offered after all."

Harry threw back his head and laughed. "Ungrateful chit," he said, chucking Hermione's chin before alighting the carriage.

Hermione was smiling as she took Harry's hand. When she was standing beside him she found herself looking at William. He was also staring back at her, but there was something disconcerting about the way he was doing so. Suddenly, she didn't know what to say.

Somehow it felt a little awkward seeing him even after hours of being with him. Yet, despite her uncertainty, she unhooked her hand from Harry's arm and held it out for her friend. "I will see you soon, I hope."

William took her outstretched hand and gave the back of it a gallant kiss. "You shall count upon my fervor to visit one of these days, your grace."

When he released her hand, he couldn't help but notice how she immediately tucked it back on the crook of Harry's arm. The movement had been light and swift; she must have not even noticed it.

Harry cleared his throat, forcing William to turn his gaze toward the duke.

"Averley, it was a pleasure meeting you," he said, tipping his head in salute.

William reached up to lift his hat a fraction of an inch. "Likewise, your grace." His lips were turned up in the corners. He must know how much control it took for Harry to say those words. With a final goodbye, he turned around and walked away. Harry and Hermione watched him turn around the corner and finally disappear.

"Shall we be off?"

It was Hermione who asked.

"Of course," Harry said. He then turned to his coachman. "To Godric's Hollow, Emett."

"Very well, your grace."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Three and a half days' worth of journey later, Hermione Potter, Duchess of Gryffindor, finally laid eyes on the estate that the ladies of the ton had been plotting for and failing to claim as their own for five years. As she stood before its magnificent display of majestic elegance, she felt Harry's arm wrap around her waist.

"It is not much," he said in a smiling voice. "But I hope you can manage."

Hermione couldn't help but share his infectious humor. Ravenclaw Estate was a country compared to this continent of regal splendor.

"It will be hard," she said with a dramatic sigh. "But I will get used to it."

With a laugh that could have shaken the very rafters of his mansion, Harry Potter tucked her arm under his and led her up the steps.

He liked this; he couldn't help but belatedly realize. Though there was still something between them, he liked her, and she seemed to have overgrown her aversion to him. It was better than most marriages these days, in his opinion. At least he had a wife who did not seem to have any intention of squandering away his money, and she had a husband who was not after her estate.

Harry led Hermione through the entrance and into the balcony where they were greeted by his entire staff assembled below, who seemed to be cheering with slightly, less enthusiasm than what he would have wanted.

Judging by the look of astonishment on their faces, they were not expecting this. He had no idea why, though. He had sent word to them three nights ago of their impending arrival.

Perhaps they didn't expect them to arrive so soon?

Hermione seemed unaware of it, so he dismissed the idea at the same time he dismissed them back to their works. He then escorted her up more stairs, which led to the hallway of the East wing, where the Duke and Duchess's adjoined suite was found.

Unbeknownst to him from below, little groups of his staff had already gathered around to talk about what they had just witnessed.

Contrary to what the duke thought, the couple's early appearance had nothing to do with their hesitant display of welcome.

No.

That was not the least bit surprising. The duke did not bear countenance for any dillydallying. He had always stressed that punctuality was vital in their everyday chores. Years of service had etched that fact into their heads quite nicely.

The marriage, yes…it was unexpected, but also inevitable. The duke had to have a legal heir, after all, and it was high time he took a wife. Considering that Lord Sirius Black had been adamant on it for the last couple of years or so, it had no longer been that shocking to learn Harry Potter had taken his advice.

So, what was it that they noticed?

Oh, yes…

He had been smiling.

And not just any smile.

He was smiling a smile that reached not only his ears, but his heart as well…

Now, that was a surprise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that evening, when everything had been settled, supper eaten, gossips exchanged, and baths taken, everything was quiet within the mansion. Servants had long ago retired for the evening, and there was neither a hound nor horse about.

It seemed all was well for the night, and happily content in their rooms, resting.

All, except for two people…

Hermione came in the duke's suite, clad only in her nightgown, but covered by her robe. She was barefooted, and so her feet padded quietly on the floor. Harry was sitting up on bed, reading, his feet stretched and crossed before him.

She looked uneasy for some reason. "The---uh---the door to the duchess's suite is locked."

At first, Harry looked lost.

And then he remembered.

"The former duchess --- my mother, that is --- had the room be used as her sitting room and treasury. Hudson told me there had been no time to remove the items in there. I shall order the maids to clear it up for your convenience."

Hermione nodded in understanding. But she still maintained her stance, unable to recognize what it was she wanted. She was standing in the middle of the room, wringing her hands absentmindedly. And Harry just had to look up again.

"What is it?"

Her gaze shifted to the empty space beside him, on his large four-poster bed and then back to his face.

"Where do I sleep?"

Harry bent his head and rubbed his forehead, smiling behind his hand. "Where do you want to sleep?"

She pursed her lips, thinking quite seriously. She couldn't see why he would want her to sleep with him. And so, she sighed quite disappointedly. "Would it be all right to ring for somebody at this hour?"

"Why?"

She looked taken aback. "Why?" She repeated the question. And then she lifted her dainty shoulders in what was considered to be a helpless shrug. "I gather you---that is to say---we would like some privacy tonight, my lord."

She looked so uncertain; he couldn't help but tease.

"No." Harry shook his head.

"No?" Hermione asked.

"No, I do no think it is all right to ring for somebody at this hour, even though one might say it is their duty to answer the call." Harry explained somberly. Then he lifted the covers beside him. "And no, I do not think either of us requires time alone."

"Oh."

Hermione walked quietly, but quickly to the other side of the bed. Seemingly bothered by his presence, she fumbled with the sash of her robe. Considerate man that he was, Harry snuffed out the candles, and the whole room was emerged in darkness.

The cold air came in through the windows, casting an eerie sound against the sudden silence in the room. He heard Hermione remove her robe, felt her weight sink the mattress, and wondered why she had positioned herself no further than on the edge of the bed.

"Hermione," Harry's deep voice came to her, soft but strong in the still of the night, causing an unexpected ripple of delight in her.

"Yes," she whispered back.

"Come here."

His request, or command, whichever it was, stunned her. But she found herself doing exactly as he said.

Though marriage was new to her, she had a feeling it would not be so bad. They were getting along now and there was also no point in denying that he'd soon have more than just her friendship. This sudden turn in their relationship was nothing short of a miracle. She just hoped nothing would muck it up.

She scooted closer until she felt Harry's arm drape across her waist, pulling her next to him. "Are you certain?" It was weird that she was asking him this, but nothing was ever normal between them, was there?

"What if it rains?" Harry whispered, his breath next to her ear. "You might have those nightmares again."

Hermione's brows puckered together even as she turned to her side. "It has not rained all day."

Harry shrugged, pulling her closer, burying his face in the crook of her neck. She could feel him smiling, and naturally, she couldn't stop herself from smiling as well.

"I won't have nightmares tonight, Harry."

She saw fit to remind him one more time.

He pressed a sleepy kiss on her ear.

"Just in case."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Okay…so this chapter was really, and I mean really, fluffy for my taste! But it had to be done. You were wondering how Harry would stake his claim for Hermione. And so, there you go. Although I would like to clear that he was not just doing all those things because of William. No, there's no *** yet, cause I have some other thing planned when that intimacy happens.

I don't know whether it was all right to have them that close to each other. But since they already had the truce, and they had admitted, at least to themselves, that they liked the other, I guess there's no harm in that.

I revealed a new character, Adam. And you might have already realized that he is the heir Voldemort was talking about. Since I have no plan elaborating on it further in the next chapter, Voldemort's plan was destroyed when Hermione jumped off the carriage. So Adam was left waiting in Prython Hill, which did not fare very well to him. Of course, he will appear again.

On the other hand, William's intention is still very vague, but it will slowly reveal itself in the next chapters. Some of you were asking for the appearance of the other characters, I have it all planned in the next couple of ones, you see, so don't worry. At least, I gave you Voldie this time.

Oh yeah…I haven't had much experience in sweet and fluffy moments, so I'd appreciate your take on the ones I did. Suggestions are also welcomed. I don't mind using other ideas, if you don't mind me using them.

Hmm…what else? Oh yes, the constant reminder. Please do leave CONSTRUCTIVE reviews. I've been given some, and they helped. And I took their advice…at least, I think I did. So, please, please…

By the way, to those who do not sign in when leaving reviews, especially anonymous reviewers, I reply to your message. So if you have questions, I answer them. If you have critiques, I respond to them as well. And if it wouldn't be so much trouble, could you leave your names, so that I would know to whom I'm addressing the message. And some form of contact details, for alert purposes.

I also get Yahoo! Id's from member profiles, but I stopped because there's just so many of them… Hehehe…so if you would like to chat with me, you can add my Yahoo! Id to your messenger. Or you could say, "you can add me to your list" or something like that, just to let me know you're up for talking, when I'm online, that is

Windows live (MSN) works now in the new version of Yahoo! messenger, so if you're a Windows live (MSN) user, leave me your id, and I'll add yours in my list.

Thank you so much!

Till later then!

-->