Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Sirius Matter by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Sirius Matter

witowsmp

Just in case you're confused, let me clear up the matter. I am not J.K. Rowling, and I do not own Harry Potter, and am certainly not making any money off of this. I'm writing this purely because I enjoy it, and I hope you do too.

A Sirius Matter

Chapter 11 - Appearances

After they'd eaten lunch, Hermione said to Harry, "We should work on homework for a few hours, and then enjoy the rest of the day."

"Alright," said Harry, and they both left the table and went upstairs. Harry said, "I've got to do some divination homework, and I know you don't have that subject, so I'll be in my room."

"Why are you taking that rubbish?" asked Hermione.

Harry sighed, "It's not entirely rubbish, Hermione."

Hermione's ears went pink, but she looked determinately into her boyfriend's eyes. "Maybe it's possible to have glimpses of the future like Sirius talked about and you witnessed during your final exam. The only trouble is that it had nothing to do with a tea leaf or a crystal ball or any of that rubbish Professor Trelawney talks about! While the concept of seeing into the future may not be entirely rubbish, the methods you learn in the subject are!"

Harry frowned. "You know, you're right. I was just beginning to think that there might be something to the subject, but that's exactly right. She wasn't using any of that stuff! I wish I could drop the subject, but then I wouldn't have enough subjects for my classes. Why did I have to sign up for the same classes as Ron last year?"

"I'm sure that Professor McGonagall would allow you to switch subjects. She'd understand you wanting to stop taking divination."

"But I wouldn't be able to, Hermione," said Harry aggravated, "I'm a year behind in every subject I could take!"

"I could teach you," said Hermione calmly.

Harry gazed at her. "A year's worth of lessons in a few months. I know you're brilliant and could handle that, but I'm not."

"First of all Harry, I don't think I'm so much smarter than you! You just don't apply yourself in anything but defense. Secondly, I didn't say I could teach you everything. I could teach you enough to pass one of the final exams I took a few weeks ago, and then help you during the year to catch up on anything we missed. If you'll write Professor McGonagall, I'm willing to do it. Just pick the subject. Since I'm not continuing muggle studies, I won't be able to help you much next year, so that leaves ancient runes and arithmancy."

"Truthfully," said Harry, "I don't have a clue what either one of those subjects even is."

"Well," said Hermione, "Arithmancy is a type of wizard math…"

"Math? No thanks," said Harry.

"Then ancient runes it is," said Hermione enthusiastically. "It's really fascinating, Harry. You get to learn how wards were created to protect special locations like the pyramids! You can even learn to create wards yourself. I'm sure you'll like it once we get past the basics!"

Harry smiled. "I know I'll enjoy watching how excited you get talking about it. Alright. I'll write a letter to McGonagall to see if she'll approve. She'll probably make me take a test to get in the class."

Hermione beamed at her boyfriend. "Alright, send that letter, and then we'll get my book from last year."

-

About fifteen minutes later, Harry had just sent Hedwig out with his letter, and the young couple was entering the Granger library.

"Remember how I told you that my magic books were hidden?" asked Hermione with a smirk.

"Yes," said Harry. "I guess you're gonna show me where now."

"Uh-huh," she said, grabbing his hand and pulling him to the wall opposite the door. "Come on."

She pulled him to a picture of a pyramid in the corner of the room and put her right hand on it and said, "Magnum Opus." The entire wall disappeared, leaving the painting floating in place in mid-air. Several more bookshelves filled with magic books were revealed. Harry noticed a bunch of symbols he didn't recognize written on the newly revealed wall exactly where the extra wall had been.

Hermione said, "That means, 'good work,' in Latin. I used runes to ward this section of the room off so I wouldn't have to cast any spells. I came up with the password because I thought I'd done a good job. The frame of that painting has some runes on it that allows it to work." She then walked over to one of the bookshelves and grabbed a book. They left and Hermione put her hand on the painting and repeat the same phrase, restoring the wall.

Harry tapped the wall and said, "It's a normal wall! I expected it to be just an illusion, like the barrier to Platform 9 ¾."

"Well," said Hermione, "we can't have a guest try to lean on the wall and fall backwards now, can we?"

"I guess not."

-

Harry read chapter one, while Hermione wrote out her final exam on the subject as she remembered it. Just when they'd both finished up, Hedwig flew in with a letter. After Harry gave her an owl treat, he opened his letter from McGonagall.

"Dear Mr. Potter,

I can certainly understand your desire to stop studying divination. You will be given the final examination for 3rd year ancient runes on September 1st after the feast. If you pass that examination, you will be accepted in ancient runes. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll be stuck in divination. I suggest you study hard this summer and enlist the help of Miss Granger.

Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress, Head of Gryffindor House

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry "

"Well," said Harry with a smile, "at least I have a fighting chance."

"I know you'll pass!" said Hermione, "and then I'll have someone to talk to in that class."

He chuckled for a moment, and then said, "I've just realized that we're dating but we've never been on a date. Would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight?"

Hermione blushed. "Yes, but we'll have to get mum and dad's permission."

They walked downstairs to find the Grangers watching television. "Er, mum, dad. Would it be ok if Harry and I go out to dinner tonight?"

Adam Granger turned and faced them with a stern expression. "Where do you plan on going?"

"Er," said Harry, "I was gonna let Hermione pick the restaurant since I still don't know the area that well. Although I did notice a fancy restaurant across the street from our Karate school."

"That's a bit expensive," said Adam.

"That's fine," said Harry, "Believe me sir, I can afford it. We stopped by the wizarding bank the day I got my new clothes and found out that I have a lot more money than I thought. This would be our first date, so I would like to do something special."

"I suppose you'll be taking that Knight Bus there," said Mrs. Granger.

"Yeah," said Harry. "It shows up immediately, not like a cab that you have to wait an hour for. I thought we might also watch a movie."

Adam took a deep breath. "Normally, I'd be concerned about Hermione's safety being out at night, but I suppose both of you could protect yourselves a lot better than I could with that magic of yours. As far as Harry goes, if I trust him here alone with you, then I trust him everywhere alone with you. Okay. Don't get into any trouble, and be here by nine o'clock."

Both Harry and Hermione smiled. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Now, just so you know, that restaurant is a fancy place. I suggest you dress up for the occasion," said Marissa. "I'll call them to make a reservation, just in case."

-

They went back upstairs to their rooms and changed. Hermione told Harry to put on his dark green suit, so he obediently did that. He put on a shirt that was the same color as the suit, and a gold tie. He had matching socks and black shoes. He put on some cologne before leaving his room. He stopped by the bathroom to do the best he could with his unruly hair and went downstairs to wait. Ten minutes later, Harry's heart stopped beating as Hermione made her way down the stairs in a pastel green dress that looked elegant. He stood up and said, "Y-You look beautiful, and s-so does the dress."

She blushed and said, "Y-You don't look so bad yourself. Shall we?" She reached out her arm for him to take, which he did. They then bid Mr. and Mrs. Granger farewell, and walked out the door.

-

Hand in hand, they stepped out of the Knight Bus about a block from the restaurant. They hadn't spoken much in the few minutes of riding the bus, because it's really hard to hold a conversation while you're being thrown in every direction. Harry said, "I wish they'd get seatbelts for that bus."

Hermione chuckled, "That would be a good idea. They've probably never heard of them. Maybe we should tell Stan about them."

"Yeah. Have I told you how beautiful you look tonight?" asked Harry.

She blushed. "As a matter of fact you have. The question is whether or not I've told you how handsome you look in that suit."

Harry's ears got a bit pink. "Well, we're here."

They stepped into the restaurant, and were quickly seated and given menus. He smiled as his eyes scrolled down the menu. "I've heard that some fancy restaurants don't list prices on their menus. I'm glad this one does."

"I've heard of that too," said Hermione. "They claim that if you need to see the price, you can't afford it, but that's silly."

"I agree. Just because I'm rich doesn't mean I don't want to know how much something I'm buying costs. Anyway, do you know what you're getting?"

-

After they'd ordered and gotten appetizers, Harry noticed someone at a nearby table looking at his scar. "Hermione," he whispered. "There's a man with dark hair staring at my scar. Do you think he could be a wizard?"

Hermione shrugged. "It's possible. There's no law against wizards eating in the muggle world," she whispered back. She then deliberately dropped her spoon so that she'd have an excuse to look at the man, who immediately looked away. "Not very friendly-looking, is he?"

"No, I guess not. Anyway, we're supposed to be enjoying our first date. I never even thanked you properly for being such a wonderful friend while I was such a prat last year, and yet you decided to be my girlfriend."

She smiled. "You weren't so bad."

Harry looked into her eyes. "I was horrible to you when Sirius gave me that broom, and I never properly apologized. I knew you were right to have it tested all along, and I knew you would never betray me like Ron was saying, that your heart was in the right place, but I sided with Ron anyway."

She stared at him. "Y-You did? Then why…"

"I guess because Ron was my first friend, and I didn't want to lose him. I…" He put his head down in shame. "I knew you'd forgive me, but I didn't think he would if I'd sided with you. You were driving yourself crazy with your ridiculous schedule, and I had to add to your stress. I don't know why you put up with me or Ron last year."

She grinned at her boyfriend. "I know why I put up with you. I knew you were better than that. Besides, I already fancied you."

"Which means I probably hurt you even more than I thought."

She put her hand on Harry's. "The past is behind us. You've been wonderful to me since then, even before we got together."

"That's because I finally realized how incredible you are. I really don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd manage," said Hermione, "but you're not without me."

He looked into her eyes. "And I never want to be."

At that moment, their dinners arrived, and they ate in companionable silence.

After they were finished and Harry had paid (leaving a good tip), Hermione said, "There's a theater a few blocks from here. Let's walk there." She grabbed his hand and all but dragged him down the street. They didn't notice the man who'd recognized Harry leave the restaurant and look around.

They were taking a shortcut through an alley when they heard a male voice call out, "Harry Potter."

They turned around, still holding hands, to see the man pointing a wand at them. "Who's your lovely date?"

Harry started to walk in front of her, muttering, "Portkey home."

"How very gallant of you, but then what else would one expect from the famous 'Boy-Who-Lived.' When the Dark L…WHAT!!!" At that moment Hermione disappeared and the man pointed his wand at Harry with murder in his eyes. "Avada…"

"House One Now!"

"Kadavra!"

-

Harry heard the word and saw the green light coming from the wand, but was pulled away before the curse made contact with him. He found himself on Hermione's bed looking at her standing nearby and crying. Her parents were both in the doorway watching. Harry got off the bed and hugged Hermione. He asked, "Are you alright? I'm so sorry! This is all my fault! I shou…"

"H-Harry," came Hermione's shaky voice. "I-it's not your fault. A-and you should've left as soon as you told me to."

"I had to make sure you were gone before I left."

"And you were right to do that, Harry," said Mr. Granger. "But could you please tell me exactly what happened? All Hermione said was, 'Dark wizard attacking Harry.'"

Harry took a deep breath. "That's pretty much what happened. I noticed a guy looking at my scar in the restaurant. He must have followed us. We were walking in an alley and he called out my name. He must have been a leftover Death Eater! He was gonna kill us!"

Hermione swallowed. "Y-You can't know that he was going to kill us."

"As I was leaving, I saw the same green light shooting from his wand that I've seen in my nightmares. He said, er, 'Avada Kadavra,' I think."

"The death curse!" said Hermione, with tears falling freely from her eyes. "That's the same curse that killed your parents, the same one that gave you that scar. The use of that curse automatically earns a life sentence in Azkaban. You're in the history books as the only one who ever survived that curse. You shouldn't have waited for me!"

"I had to!" said Harry. "It's my stupid fault we were out there in the first place! I-I'm sorry." He walked out of Hermione's room and into the guest room, closing the door behind him.

-

He leaned against the door, at last letting his tears fall. He quickly undid his tie and dropped it on the floor, along with his suit coat that he shrugged off. He untucked and then unbuttoned his shirt. Then he rolled it into a ball and threw it at the wall. Then he collapsed on the bed. "What the hell am I gonna do?" he muttered to no one as he took off his socks and shoes. He lay back on the bed wearing nothing but his dress pants (and his portkey) for about ten minutes until he heard a soft knocking at the door. He didn't answer.

-

Hermione knocked once more on Harry's door, and then decided that if he were changing he'd have said something. She opened the door to see her boyfriend stretched out on his bed, shirtless and weeping. She timidly said, "H-Harry? Is it alright if I come in?"

He sighed. "Fine. Might as well get it over with. I'll pack my stuff and…"

"What are you talking about, Harry?" she demanded.

Harry answered, "I'm sure your father rightly stated that I'm too dangerous to keep around, so I have to leave. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put you in danger. I hope you can forgive me. I…"

"Harry! You are not leaving and you have nothing to apologize for! I took us down that alley, as I explained to my dad. I know the Dursleys taught you otherwise, but you are not responsible for everything that goes wrong! All you wanted was to show me a good time! So don't try to leave, and don't even think about breaking up with me!"

He took a deep breath, and gave her a slight smile. "Ok Hermione. My question is whether he'll try attacking us again or not."

Hermione sighed. "I don't honestly think he was actively looking for you. He's probably just a Death Eater who's mad at you for vanquishing V-Voldemort, and he happened to recognize you, so he took a chance for revenge."

"I-I suppose so. I guess we should call Sirius and tell him about it, too."

"Yeah. By the way, my parents did notice that you had your own portkey to my bedroom. I assured them that you've never snuck into my room and begged them not to bother you about it, citing tonight as a good reason you need it."

-

They told Sirius about the attack, and he agreed with Hermione that it wasn't planned, and since it was at a fancy restaurant, he'd probably guess it was a special occasion. Sirius made a suggestion that Harry find a way to disguise himself when he goes out in public.

-

The next day, they showed up at Black Manor at eight o'clock. They were to study advanced charms that day. Hermione squinted as she looked into the index of the book for a few minutes, and then happily announced to Harry and Ginny, "Today we're going to start with chapter five, Cosmetic Charms - How to Change Your Appearance!"

Ginny looked confused while Harry looked serious. "Why are we skipping the first four chapters?" the redhead asked.

Hermione said, "We'll get back to them," and sighed. "You might as well know. We went out for a date last night, and somebody recognized Harry and tried to kill us."

Ginny's eyes bulged out. "WHAT?"

Hermione explained what had happened. "…so you see, I think Harry would like to be able to change his appearance as soon as possible, even if he has to stop by here to do it." Harry nodded and they began. He managed to make his scar nearly invisible, so that it wouldn't be spotted from a distance. They learned to change their hair color and eye color, as well as lighten or darken their skin slightly. Those charms lasted twelve hours if they weren't removed.

Harry said, "I think I should get contacts. My glasses are a dead giveaway to my identity. I should still wear the frames with clear glass or plastic at Hogwarts anyway. That way people will be looking for a wizard with glasses."

Ginny said, "You should see the eye healer in Diagon Alley. I think he's open on Sundays. He prefers being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays because he claims that nobody comes to the shop on those days anyway."

"Can you show us where it's located after our duel?" asked Hermione. "I think that Harry should keep his scar and hair changed, but have his eyes normal, just in case it makes a difference."

"Of course, and I know, it's a secret, right?" said Ginny.

Harry smiled. "Yes Ginny. I really do appreciate it."

-

A few hours later, the three of them were standing outside of 'The Outer Eye' eye-healer shop. Harry's scar was gone, and his hair was blonde. Ginny said, "Well, that's the place. Good luck. I've got to go before mum thinks I've been gone too long. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye Ginny. Thanks!" said Harry.

"Bye," said Hermione.

"Bye. House One Now." Ginny disappeared.

They walked into the shop, and they saw displays of all types of frames, as well as a small display of round artificial eyeballs of varying colors and sizes spinning around in place. Above them was a sign that said, 'The All-Seeing Eye.' The desk had a sign above it that listed extra charms and prices that could be put on glasses. They included see-in-bright-light, see-in-the-dark, see-through-invisibility-cloaks-and-disillusionment-charms, see-through-anything (permit from the Ministry of Magic required), zooming-in-and-out, instant-replay, and display-notes-inside-lenses, among other options.

Harry said, "I should get a pair of glasses that can see through invisibility and zoom in and out."

Hermione said, "Yeah. Maybe I should too."

Harry then grinned wickedly. "I should also have them display notes to help me take that runes test, and to see through anything."

Hermione looked at him. "Harry! You can't do that, it's cheating! As for the other one, I know what you'd be looking through!"

"I was just kidding about those options," Harry said. "Relax."

They walked up to the desk and the receptionist said, "May I help you?"

Harry said, "Yes. I'm H-Larry, Larry Evans and I'd like to get contact lenses. Can I have them charmed with a few options?"

"Of course. Contact lenses can have the same options as glasses. After you've seen Healer Brown you can specify which charms you'd like. He should be ready in ten minutes. Did you need anything else?"

"Er, yes. I believe my friend would like a pair of glasses that have some charms on them. I'll be paying for them as well."

"H-Larry!"

He whispered in her ear, "This is for your safety. There's nothing more important to me than that. I do not want someone to be able to sneak up on you."

She then said, "Perhaps I should get contact lenses charmed instead. Could I do that?"

"Of course, but you will have to have your eyes checked for that."

Hermione looked at Harry, who nodded.

-

An hour later, they left, each of them wearing a pair of magical contact lenses that never had to be removed and were always comfortable and unbreakable. They could even be worn while swimming with your eyes open, at any depth. They actually could not be removed without saying the proper command, 'Lens out,' which would then allow them to be removed normally.

The options both chose were see-in-bright-light, see-at-night, zoom-in-and-out, and see-through-invisibility-cloaks-and-disillusionment-charms. They decided to leave the see-through option on always. To use the options, they had simple commands to say that began with the word, 'Lens.' (For example, 'Lens zoom in').

Both of their eyes were examined, and Harry found that he had needed a new prescription for quite some time, since the Dursleys only got him glasses one time - when the school demanded it. That was the only good thing the Dursleys ever gave him, and they were mad about that. Harry had a pair of regular glasses with gold wire frames made for him, just in case something happened to his new lenses. He also got them to put clear lenses in his old glasses, although they thought it was a bit strange.

The surprise was Hermione. Although her vision was pretty good, the healer had found that she actually did not have perfect vision, much to Hermione's irritation. She claimed, "My eyes are probably just weak now, and yesterday I was crying, so I couldn't see as well."

Healer Brown replied, "This isn't a muggle test that has the patient say what looks clear to them. This is a spell that actually tests the eyes. I'll bet you've been squinting a bit lately to read, haven't you?"

After she'd conceded that point, she started sulking. She was still sulking now, as they both portkeyed first to Black Manor so Harry could remove his cosmetic charms, and then to the Granger residence. "Hermione," said Harry as nicely as he could, "having imperfect vision is not the end of the world."

"I could always see perfectly before! I just…"

"Then you're lucky, Hermione!" said Harry, losing some of his patience. "I've been wearing glasses since I started school! I've never read anything without wearing glasses. I've had to deal with being practically blind for as long as I can remember! You learned that you don't have perfect vision on a day that you get something to correct the problem that you don't even have to worry about! This is about your pride!"

She was looking into his much-easier-to-see emerald eyes, and could see the truth in what he was saying. "Er, I guess I was; it's just."

"You've found a new imperfection, Hermione. You're only human! You're the most wonderful human I've ever met, but you're not perfect. I have a lot worse vision than you. Does that affect what you think of me?"

"No, no, of course not Harry."

"Then why should it affect what you think of yourself?"

She closed her eyes. "It shouldn't. You're right. It's stupid. I…"

At that moment there was a knock on the door, and it opened, revealing Mr. and Mrs. Granger. "Hi Harry and Hermione," said Adam. "Wow Harry, you look different without glasses. Did you get contacts?"

"Er, yes sir," said Harry.

"We couldn't help but overhear your conversation," said Mrs. Granger. "Hermione, why did you see an eye doctor?"

"It's my fault," said Harry. "I wanted to make it a bit harder to recognize me. I learned how to magically hide my scar and change my hair and eye color. I thought it would be good to get contacts as well, so we went to an eye healer in Diagon Alley. They had a lot of different charms available for glasses and contact lenses, like the ability to see through invisibility cloaks…"

"Invisibility cloaks?" asked Mr. Granger. "Something you wear to be…invisible?"

"Yes," said Harry. "I have one…but I haven't used it here," he added when he saw the expression on Adam's face. "The point is that I felt that it would be good if she could see if anybody was trying to sneak up on her with one of those, so I insisted she get a pair of glasses. She preferred contacts lenses, and the healer insisted that her eyes get examined."

"And he found out she doesn't have perfect vision." Adam sighed. "Alright. How much was it?"

"It's alright Adam," said Harry, "Don't worry about that."

"I appreciate it Harry, but I insist that I pay for my daughter's contact lenses and eye exam."

Harry decided not to mention the charges for the charms, which were rather expensive. He also knew to convert the price to muggle money. "Her contacts and exam came to two hundred and five pounds, and they're magical contact lenses that don't ever have to come out. They can even be worn in the pool. They can also be updated every year without being removed. Just a visit that costs about fifty pounds."

Adam said, "That's not too bad. Muggle contacts are a bit cheaper, but those magical ones are better. I'll get you the money tomorrow."

Mrs. Granger asked, "Can muggles get those lenses?"

Hermione said, "Unfortunately, no. They depend on the wearer's magic to replenish the charms that keep them working properly.

Adam chuckled, "I was just thinking that Hermione's boyfriend has money, fame, a device that can bring him into her bedroom, and an invisibility cloak. I guess my only choice is to trust you two, because I seriously doubt I could stop you from sneaking around. If you don't mind, Harry, I'd like to see that cloak of yours."

"Sure."

After they went in Harry's bedroom, he got the cloak out of his trunk and put it on. He walked up to Adam and startled him by putting his hand on his shoulder."

"Wow! That's incredible! My only question is why an upstanding young man such as yourself would have something like this."

"Well that's easy to explain, Adam," said Harry. "It used to belong to my father. Dumbledore gave it to me for Christmas during my first year. He said it was time that it was returned to me."

Mr. and Mrs. Granger both looked appalled. "The headmaster gave an eleven-year-old boy something like this?" she said.

"When is the first time you used it to disobey school rules?" asked Adam.

"Er, the night I got it. You see…"

"Never mind the details," said Adam. "I'm just making the point that it was ridiculous and irresponsible for him to give it to you. How many times have you been in danger because you were using the cloak?" After Harry and Hermione nervously looked at each other, Adam said, "I don't want to know. Harry, please don't risk Hermione's safety by using this or any other tricks you've got up your sleeves to disobey school rules."

Harry looked into Mr. Granger's eyes and said, "I promise."

"That's all I can ask."

-

The next day after karate class, Neville walked up to Harry and Hermione nervously. "Er, I was, well wondering…about…"

"What is it, Neville?" asked Harry.

"I, er, well Ginny…do you think she'd…er, go out with me?"

Hermione smiled broadly. "Well, there's only one way to find that out, isn't there?"

Neville's cheeks were pink by now. "Er…"

"So," said Harry with a grin, "you like her?"

Unable to speak, Neville only nodded.

"Neville," said Hermione, "I can think of a way to help you. We can try to get her to go somewhere with the three of us as a double-date."

"Hermione," said Harry, "I don't think I should…"

"You can change your appearance," whispered Hermione, "and I promise, no alleys."

He whispered, "Fine, but I insist you make him a portkey somewhere, and not your bedroom."

She chuckled. "We should tell you, Neville that Saturday night we went out and Harry was recognized by a crazy who tried to kill us…"

"What?" exclaimed Neville. "It must have been a Death Eater."

"Yes," continued Hermione, "So Harry's a bit reluctant about being out in public. He's learned ways to change his appearance - his hair and eye color. He can even almost totally hide his scar. He also has contact lenses."

"Then why…" asked Neville.

"Because I don't want anyone to know about it. I want anyone looking for Harry Potter to be looking for a kid with dark hair, glasses, green eyes, and a scar. When they see me with blue eyes, blonde hair, no glasses, and no scar, they won't think it's me. I'm also going by the name Larry Evans. Larry rhymes with Harry, and Evans was my mother's maiden name. I'm wearing clear glasses right now. I think showing up here now with a different appearance would bring too much attention to me, so I can only hope no one looking for me would check a muggle karate class. Don't tell anyone about my new appearance, alright. I'm only telling you so that you'll know who I am."

"Alright, Harry," said Neville.

"We'll tell you tomorrow if Ginny will go," said Hermione as Neville was called away by his Grandmother.

-

Please review. Thanks to all the reviews I've already had!