Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Sirius Matter by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Sirius Matter

witowsmp

Just in case you're confused, let me clear up the matter. I am not J.K. Rowling, and I do not own Harry Potter, and am certainly not making any money off of this. I'm writing this purely because I enjoy it, and I hope you do too.

A Sirius Matter

Chapter 24 - Happy Birthday, Hermione

The next day at breakfast, Harry and his friends eagerly read the front page story of the Daily Prophet.

"New Minister of Magic Appointed

By Rita Skeeter

Because of the assassination of Minister Fudge, the Wizengamot spent well over a day in discussions over who to appoint as the new Minister of Magic. Four candidates were chosen. The most qualified by far was Delores Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister. Of course, the meddling old headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore vehemently opposed her. However, when it was suggested that he become a candidate, Dumbledore did a great service to our world by declining. He may love to oppose others, but doesn't want to actually do anything besides criticize.

Another candidate was Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Sports and Games. However, too many people, including this reporter, know how he mistakenly fed information to Death Eaters during the war. Anyone that foolish should not be considered for Minister of Magic.

The final candidate, who was appointed by a majority vote of the Wizengamot, is Patricus Vehosia, formerly the Ministry's ambassador to the United States of America. Of course, one wonders what to make of this man who hasn't spent more than a month at a time in Europe for over ten years. His wife is in fact a muggleborn American witch. How are we supposed to look up to someone like that? In this reporter's opinion…"

The article went on and on about how much better Delores Umbridge would have been as minister than Pat Vehosia. Harry sighed. "Have any of you heard of this guy?"

Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Hermione all shook their heads. Hermione said, "But we know that Professor Dumbledore didn't oppose him."

Ginny said, "I'm glad he stopped that Umbridge woman from taking office. You should have heard dad talking when Percy started working for her. If she were elected, the muggleborns would replace House Elves."

"Then I'm glad she didn't get in," said Neville.

-

From then the days started flying by. Every Sunday they'd practice apparition at Grimmauld Place. Dumbledore taught Occlumency to Ginny on Mondays, Harry on Thursdays, and Hermione on Fridays. Harry and Hermione were staying at the top of their classes, while they helped Ron and Neville. Before they knew it, it was September 19th, Hermione's 15th birthday. Harry had managed to keep his plans completely secret from Hermione.

Since Harry and Hermione were always exercising alone in the morning, he figured that was the perfect time to begin. He was in the common room already when his girlfriend walked down the stairs.

"Happy birthday!" he said when she reached the bottom of the stairs. Before she could respond he pulled her into a quick kiss which she turned into a snog, putting her hands on the back of his head before they could separate.

When the need for air caused her to finally pull away, she smiled at him. "You remembered!" she said excitedly.

"Of course I remembered! What kind of git would forget his girlfriend's birthday?"

"I don't know. I'm just glad you didn't!"

"I figured after our workout I could give you my present."

She kissed him again.

"Sounds great. Let's hurry. I want to open it soon!"

-

An hour later, they were sitting in a corner of the common room with a half hour before breakfast when Harry handed her a present."

Her smile faltered momentarily as she said, "It feels like a book." She then gave him a smile that he thought looked fake.

"I hope you like it."

"Of course I will."

She tore the wrapping paper off of it and gasped. It was a small leather-bound photo album that had `Harry and Hermione' engraved in gold on the front. She opened it to the first page, and found a few pictures of them together from first year. As she turned the pages, she saw pictures from second year and then third year, even one of them riding Buckbeak. Then there were several from the summer (including a few from their first date - before the attack) and even one from this year. All of them were wizard pictures.

She was smiling as her eyes moistened. "How did you make this? I know we weren't photographed for all of these."

Harry grinned at her. "During an Occlumency lesson, I mentioned to Dumbledore that I wished I had more photos of us, and he showed me his pensieve and suggested I use mine."

Her eyes went wide. "He has a pensieve?"

He chuckled. "Yes. Anyway, I put some memories in my pensieve and brought a camera with me. I got Colin to develop them though. After I told him how I got the photos, he said he wanted to get himself a pensieve so he doesn't have to carry his camera everywhere and annoy people." He took a deep breath. "The time we've spent together means a lot to me, and I don't ever want to forget it."

She kissed him softly. "This is a wonderful, thoughtful gift that I'll treasure forever, but there's no way I could forget the time we've spent together."

"I love you, Hermione." He took a deep breath. "I know people think I'm too young to know what love is, but they're wrong. There's a lot of extra space in that album, and I want to keep filling it for the rest of our lives."

-

"Earth to Harry and Hermione," said an amused Ginny a few minutes later when she found the couple in a passionate snog.

They broke apart blushing. "Harry gave me a wonderful gift for my birthday, and I was just thanking him."

Ginny giggled slightly. "I'm sure he knows you're grateful by now. Is today your birthday?" Hermione nodded. "Well, happy birthday, then."

"Thank you."

-

While they were eating breakfast, Hedwig arrived with a rose in her mouth and a small package tied to her leg. Hermione looked at Harry. "You didn't have to do that."

"It's not all from me," said Harry smiling.

She took the package first and found a note from her parents. The package was from them but the rose was from Harry. The note also told her to open the package alone, as it was something personal she wouldn't want her boyfriend (or any other boy) to see.

"Well, thank you for the rose, and thank you for sending Hedwig to my parents." She then quickly kissed him.

"Fifty points from Gryffindor for that disgusting display of affection," said a familiar voice behind them, "each. Your father couldn't restrain himself either, Potter."

Harry turned and looked coldly at, "Snape!"

"Prof…" said the Gothic Git.

"I challenge that. We're taking this up with the Headmaster."

Harry got up and ignored Snape's remarks. Snape followed, and a worried Hermione behind him.

When they reached the headmaster, Harry coldly said, "This person is harassing me, and has just taken a hundred points from Gryffindor because I kissed Hermione at Gryffindor table on her birthday. If you don't resolve this matter, I will shout for all the school to hear…"

"That's quite enough, Harry," said Dumbledore calmly before turning to Snape. "Severus, you are not to give any punishments to Mr. Potter or Miss Granger, and are to make an effort to avoid them. If you happen to see them breaking rules, then inform me and I will personally deal with it."

"But Headmaster…"

"One hundred points to Gryffindor. Severus, we have already spoken on this matter of harassment, but it seems that's not enough. Apparently you need to be informed that he knows the role you played in his parents' deaths, and has threatened to take this information to the Daily Prophet, which would result in the ruination of my career and your incarceration in Azkaban. I suggest you not aggravate Harry."

Snape glared at Harry and then Hermione as his face turned red, but said nothing as he took his seat at the head table. Albus looked at Hermione and smiled. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you, sir."

Dumbledore turned back to the raven-haired teenager. "Now Harry, you shouldn't do this so publicly. People will realize that something's not right."

"Then keep that murderer away from me. What you did today is acceptable, but if he keeps harassing me, I will carry out my threat, and we both know what will happen. Good day."

Harry then walked back toward Gryffindor tower. He whispered to Hermione, "The nerve of that git! How dare he say anything about my father? My dad saved his life and in return Snape as good as killed him!"

"I know. Er, I think we should just go."

"Don't forget your presents. I'm sorry that son of a…"

"Harry!"

"Fine. I'm sorry he ruined your breakfast." They started walking in the hallway.

"Just don't ruin the rest of the day by talking about him."

He took a deep breath. "You're right. I'm sorry. It's just that every time I see that murderer I want to…"

"I know. Let's just drop it." Before Harry could protest, she pulled him into a broom closet and proceeded to drive thoughts of Snape completely out of Harry's mind.

-

They had History of Magic class, followed by Charms. After that, they went to lunch, where Hedwig flew straight to Hermione carrying a small package.

"Harry," she said after making sure it was from him, "You really shouldn't have."

"I wanted to," he protested as he fed his owl something off his plate.

She unwrapped the gift to find it was a small jewelry box that contained an elegant pair of gold earrings with a small sapphire gem on each. She almost dropped them when saw them. "You…this must have cost…"

"You mean a lot more to me than whatever they cost."

"I know, but…"

"I love you."

She smiled. "I love you too, but…"

"That's all that matters. Is it wrong for me to want to give you nice things?"

"No it's not, but you really didn't need to do this."

"I wanted to. Do you like them?"

She grinned from ear to ear. "My birthstone. That was so thoughtful! You do realize that you've earned several snog points, redeemable in the nearest broom closet."

He blushed. "Then I suggest we finish lunch as quickly as possible." He then winked.

-

At dinner Hedwig arrived with a small box of sugar quills for Hermione, which she accepted without protest, knowing that it would do no good. She kissed him and said, "I've got to go to my Occlumency lesson now."

"I'll see you in the common room right after, right?"

"Well, I was thinking about going to the library and…"

He gave her his best puppy-dog eyes. "Please. I think I've still got some snog points left, and I'd rather redeem them on your birthday."

She blushed. "Oh well, fine. Just this one day won't hurt."

"Exactly," he said with a grin.

-

After a productive lesson, Hermione returned to the common room to find it dark and empty. She walked in cautiously with her wand out. "Harry? Anyone?"

"SURPRISE!!!"

She stepped back, almost having a heart attack as the lights came on to reveal almost all of Gryffindor there with a big cake that had fifteen lit candles on it. Harry was standing next to it, along with Ginny, Neville, and Ron.

She looked around the room at everyone until her eyes rested on Harry. "How long have you had this planned?"

"Two weeks."

She smiled at Ginny. "You lied this morning."

"I never said I didn't know it was your birthday," said Ginny, smiling back.

The party was a complete success. Hermione even managed to blow out all the candles (Harry made sure the Weasley twins didn't get near it to prank the candles not to go out). When she finally opened the gifts, she found that Harry gave her an Advanced Arithmancy book.

"I knew you'd give me a book for my birthday," she said, giggling as she teased Harry.

Ron, who hadn't noticed the things she'd received while he was stuffing his face at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, said, "Even I know that you don't give a book on your girlfriend's birthday, even if it is Hermione."

-

Please review. Thanks to those who have.

-->