Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Sirius Matter by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Sirius Matter

witowsmp

I am not J.K. Rowling, and I do not own Harry Potter (although I do own a copy of all the books and movies), and am certainly not making any money off of this. I'm writing this purely because I enjoy it, and I hope you do too.

A Sirius Matter

Chapter 32 - A Christmas to Remember

Several students and staff members at Hogwarts subscribed to the Howler, and it was soon very common to see students all over the school reading it and discussing the latest news. Harry and Hermione were continuing all their training. Ginny was with them for extra studies (Animagus, Legilimency, wordless-wandless, etc.) and dueling. Neville was with them for karate and dueling. Ron (who'd apologized to Harry about his reaction to his refusal to participate in the tournament while Harry was in the hospital wing after being attacked by dragons) was with them for dueling and the Saturday defensive flying lessons. Sirius would help them with dueling and Animagus training. No one knew about Harry and Hermione's Pensieve dance lessons.

The holidays were approaching fast, and the Yule Ball with them. Neville was going to the ball with Ginny, but Ron had yet to invite anyone to be his date (not counting Fleur Delacour, whom he asked in a humorous and embarrassing way, running for it before she even answered). Fred and George had warned their younger brother that he'd better get a move on before all the good ones were taken.

About a week before Christmas, the night they finished their exams, Harry was in the common room reading the book on chess strategies that Hermione had bought him for his birthday during the summer. He'd been so busy with training that he actually hadn't read it before recently. He'd found the strategy that Ron usually used in chapter three, and memorized how to counter it. Ron was currently playing Neville in a game that looked like it was about to end. Harry closed the book and walked up the stairs to put it away. When he got back down, he found Ron just finishing up Neville's defeat.

"Checkmate."

"At least it's over," he conceded.

"Hey Ron," said Harry, walking up. "It's been awhile since we've played a game."

"Sure has," agreed the redhead. "Want to play?"

"Sounds good. Listen, do you remember the chess set Hermione's parents gave me for my birthday?"

Ron grinned. "The one with all the pieces on broomsticks?"

"That's the one. You wanna use it?"

"Sure. Go get it."

-

Fifteen minutes later, Ron was very frustrated. A small crowd, including Fred, George, Ginny, Neville, and Hermione, had begun watching the game. Harry was very carefully following a strategy he'd memorized from his book while Ron's face was getting red. Harry was forcing himself not to chuckle as Ron did everything the book said he would. Hermione was beaming at her boyfriend with pride.

After thinking for five minutes, Ron made his move. Harry couldn't believe that Ron was still sticking with the same strategy as always, despite the fact that it wasn't working. He made a show of waiting a minute before making the move his strategy demanded.

"Check!" said Ron excitedly as he took the piece Harry had purposely sacrificed.

Only when Harry smiled did Ron look back at the board and realize that he'd left his king open to attack. He had his head buried in his hands as Harry made his move and proudly proclaimed, "Checkmate."

The gathered crowd all cheered. They'd never seen Ron beaten at his own game! (The Weasleys had while he was learning chess, but it had been years). Hermione bent down and kissed Harry before congratulating him.

"How?" whispered Ron. "You've never…"

"Don't you remember the book on chess strategy that Hermione gave me last summer?"

"Oh…yeah," Ron said sadly.

"Your strategy for playing, as well as the way to beat it, is in that book."

"So it wasn't you beating me, it was some book Hermione gave you."

"Exactly. You taught me how to play chess, but not how to win against you. That's what the book did. It was obviously written by an even better player than you. According to the book, he's been playing in chess tournaments for forty years."

"Forty years, huh?"

"I'm sure that in forty years, you'll be even better than him," said Hermione.

"I guess," said Ron, somewhat mollified, deciding that it really wasn't Harry who beat him.

-

Time passed quickly, and Ginny fixed Ron up with a Ravenclaw girl from her year to go to the ball with. Harry decided to send Remus one of the horntail armor suits. On Christmas morning, Ron, Ginny, Neville, Harry, and Hermione planned to open their presents together. The girls were surprised when the boys came down the stairs accompanied by two house elves.

They quickly joined Hermione and Ginny in a corner, and Hermione immediately smiled at the elves. "Happy Christmas, Dobby and Winky. How are you two doing?"

"We is doing good, Miss Grangie," replied Dobby as tears began to fill his eyes. "Dobby knew that you is being a great witch, but never has a witch wished Dobby a happy Christmas before." At that moment, both he and Winky began to bawl.

Ginny spoke up. "Happy Christmas. Now two witches have done it."

Harry went through the presents they'd brought down the stairs and found the two that he'd bought for his elves. Hermione had reminded him to buy them presents the last time they were in Hogsmeade.

"Here's your Christmas present, Dobby." He handed one of the oddly wrapped presents to him. "Here's yours, Winky."

The elves were so overcome with emotion that they barely managed to unwrap their gifts. Dobby, who Harry knew enjoyed making socks, was given enough wool to make himself a hundred more of various colors. Harry was afraid that if he'd actually given Dobby socks he'd be free from their bond. Winky was given a bottle of perfume.

Hermione had also given the elves presents. Each got a different book on the evils of slavery that was written in America around the time of the Civil War. She bought Harry two presents. One was a book called Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland. The other was a Rolex that she admitted her parents helped pay for but, "It was my idea." She'd had it charmed to be unbreakable and completely waterproof.

Harry gave Hermione a gold necklace with a sapphire gem. "This matches the earrings you gave me for my birthday!" she exclaimed with a grin.

"I was kind of hoping you'd wear them tonight."

She smiled. "I was already planning to."

Harry then turned to Dobby upon grabbing another present, along with a note. "Dobby, come here. I want you to deliver these two things an hour before the ball."

"Dobby is happy to serve the Great Harry Potter! Who is these going to?"

Harry whispered into the elf's ear who to give the wrapped painting to (along with instructions to take it back during the dance) and who to give the note to.

After Dobby disappeared, Ron asked, "What was that all about?"

Harry grinned. "You'll find out at the dance."

-

It was an hour before the Yule Ball, and Ron still hadn't met the girl he was escorting to the ball yet. Harry and Hermione did their exercise to stay in shape, but skipped the rest of their training in favor of enjoying Christmas with their friends. Harry was surprised at how early Hermione had left to prepare for the ball, but decided not to say anything about it. Now all the fourth-year Gryffindor boys were in their dorm putting on their dress robes.

"I'm sure glad Ginny got me these robes," said Ron. "If she hadn't gotten that money for catching Crouch Jr., I would've had to wear that ghastly creation mum gave me and been the laughing stock of the school."

"Yeah, from what you and Ginny said, they must've been awful."

"I wish Ginny would tell me who this `really nice girl' is that she's set me up with. All I know about her is that she's supposedly got beautiful blonde hair and is interesting to talk to."

Harry chuckled. "I do agree that I'd want to know who I'm going out with. But then again, it's your own fault. You should've asked som…"

"I know. I know. She's probably teaching me a lesson. I just hope it's not some ugly troll nobody else wants to date."

"Just remember to be nice no matter who it is, mate. Even if you don't like her, it's not her fault. She's doing you a favor by going with you."

Ron sighed. "I guess."

-

Before they knew it, Harry, Ron, and Neville were standing in the Gryffindor common room waiting for the girls. Ron's date was supposed to meet him just outside the Great Hall so he was waiting to walk down there with the rest of them.

Ginny came down first in amber robes that really suited her. Neville immediately walked up to her. "Y-you look b-b-beautiful, G-Ginny." She blushed.

"I agree," said Harry. "You do look very nice."

"Thank you Neville and Harry. You both look good as well." She shot Ron a quick glare for not politely complimenting her.

"Do you know if Hermione's about ready yet?" asked Harry.

"Yes. She'll be down any second now."

As though summoned, Harry's girlfriend appeared on the staircase, and all thoughts of anything besides Hermione flew out of Harry's head. He'd never remember what she wore that night, but he'd always remember how beautiful she looked. He took her hand when she reached the bottom of the staircase and looked deep into her eyes.

"You look…so…" He took a deep breath. "gorgeous, beautiful, perfect. I…"

He was silenced by a quick kiss. "Thank you very much, Mr. Potter," she said while her cheeks turned pink. "You look quite handsome, yourself. Shall we go?"

Harry didn't pay much attention to what was said as he walked hand-in-hand with his angel, obeying the philosophy, `Follow the pretty girl,' as she led him down the staircases until finally they were outside the doors of the Great Hall. Harry was taken out of his trance by Ron's voice.

"We're here, Ginny. Where's my date?"

"Right there," said Ginny as she pointed out a girl with waist-length blonde hair. She was wearing a sleeveless light blue dress and a necklace made of butterbeer caps. She had protuberant eyes, and her wand was held behind her left ear. "Come here, Luna."

Ron's eyes bulged out when he saw the necklace. As Luna walked toward them, Ginny whispered, "If you're not nice to her, bat bogeys won't be the only thing you're running from." Ron swallowed.

"Er, Hello, Luna. I'm Ron Weasley."

"I know," she answered. "I'm Luna Lovegood. Ginny said you're so desperate for a date that you'll take me. Since I'm a third year, this is the only way I can come." She then turned to the others. "You're Harry Potter."

"I know," replied Harry with a smirk.

"And you're Hermione Granger. A lot of people think you should've been a Ravenclaw."

"I'm happy in Gryffindor, thanks." At that moment, the doors were opened.

"We'd better get inside, before the Yartsprees start infesting the hall."

Ron looked at Ginny with an expression that clearly meant, `This girl is loony!' but was only rewarded a giggle as Ginny took Neville's hand and walked in, followed quickly by Harry and Hermione. Reluctantly, Ron took Luna's hand and walked in.

-

Harry was sitting at a table with his girlfriend and their friends when he noticed something. "Look. The champions and their dates are sitting at the table with the old people."

"Not only that," replied Hermione, "but they have to start off the dancing."

"That alone is reason enough to refuse to participate," replied Harry.

"But you're very good at dancing, now," she whispered back.

"That doesn't mean I want everybody to watch me."

"Good point." Hermione then glanced at the teachers' table again. "Snape seems like he's in a more foul mood than usual."

Harry half-snorted but then regained his composure. "I wonder why."

-

The dinner proceeded very well, aside from Ron glaring at Ginny whenever Luna would refer to an imaginary creature. Finally, the music started and Harry immediately stood up. "Hermione, may I have this dance?"

"You most certainly may."

Ginny looked straight at her brother with a look that he knew he had to take seriously and tilted her head toward Luna. "Er, Luna," he said, stumbling as he got up. "Wanna dance?"

The blonde girl smiled brightly. "If you'd like, Ronald."

"Ginny," said Neville shyly, "W-would you like to dance?"

-

Harry and Hermione were in the middle of the dance floor, holding each other as they'd practiced, moving to the music with ease.

"I never thought I'd actually enjoy dancing," said Harry.

She grinned as plans of dragging him out dancing every Saturday night for the rest of their lives formed in her head. "I think it's more about who you're dancing with."

"That's probably true, but I'm sure you're glad I'm not stepping on your feet anymore."

She giggled. "I'll admit that, but even then I still enjoyed being in your arms."

"Thank you for being my girlfriend."

"Thank you for asking me."

-

"I'm so sorry, Ginny," apologized Neville as he stepped on her feet yet again.

"It's alright, Neville. You're just a bit nervous. I think you're trying a bit too hard."

Neville had a faraway expression for a few seconds before he gave Ginny a lopsided smile. "I should've asked someone I hated to be my date. Then I'd have gotten to step on her feet all night without any consequences." Both he and Ginny laughed at that joke.

At that moment, the doors burst open, revealing Mr. Filch in a very greasy-looking old wizarding tuxedo. "Severus!" he called out sweetly. "I know you wanted me to stay in my quarters until you got back, but I had to see you! The knife I always carry allowed me to cut the ropes you tied me to my bed with."

If looks could kill, the head of Slytherin house would have vaporized Filch where he stood. Snape stood up and turned toward the nearest exit.

"Severus, I love you!" Argus declared as he ran up to the greasy-haired git. He closed his eyes and puckered up his lips as he moved his face toward Snape, who quickly conjured a snake to meet Filch's lips.

Keeping his eyes closed, Argus thoroughly snogged the snake as the crowd watched in amusement. As soon as they separated, Snape vanished it. When the caretaker opened his eyes, the serpent was already gone. "Severus, I never knew you had such a wicked tongue!" he declared dreamily, causing more laughter than he'd already done. "I knew you loved me, too!"

"I DO NOT LOVE YOU!"

"Your words say one thing, but your tongue said another thing. Why don't we go outside and snog some more?" He grabbed Snape before he could react and got him to the door before Snape finally managed to stun him.

The laughter didn't stop as Severus levitated Filch away. "Obviously someone has slipped him a love potion! When I find out who it was, you'll be begging for expulsion! I'm taking Mr. Filch to the hospital wing."

"That's where you say you're taking him, anyway," said one of the Weasley twins just as the door closed.

Even Hermione was laughing with Harry by now. "You did that, didn't you?" she whispered in his ear.

"Uh-huh," he whispered back. "I had Dobby deliver the painting to Filch and a note to Snape to come to Filch's quarters. Apparently Snape managed to tie him up before the dance, but he was determined to see him here. It'll wear off in twenty-four hours, and Dobby should have already returned the picture of Cupid."

-

Ron was standing on the dance floor with Luna watching Snape leaving with Filch, laughing with everyone else. Luna said, "I don't think that Mr. Filch was given a love potion."

The redhead's eyes widened. "Neither do I."

"I think there are bleetrobs in the castle affecting him."

Ron gave her a strange look. "What?"

"Which means that the nargles won't be here," she said excitedly. "Come on, Ronald! I don't really like dancing anyway." He went along helplessly as Luna Lovegood pulled him under nearby mistletoe and started enthusiastically kissing him.

-

Harry and Hermione danced the rest of the night away, barely aware that there were other people in the room until finally the dance was over and they had to head back toward their dorm, stopping to inspect a few broom closets along the way. When they arrived in their common room, they found Neville and Ginny snogging on a couch. They were about to find an empty couch and do the same when the door opened again, revealing a spaced-out-looking Ron.

He took a few steps forward as Neville and Ginny broke apart quickly. The youngest Weasley male declared, "I've got a girlfriend."

=

Please review. Thank you to all who have. Sorry I took so long to update.

-->