Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Sirius Matter by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Sirius Matter

witowsmp

Just in case you're confused, let me clear up the matter. I am not J.K. Rowling, and I do not own Harry Potter, and am certainly not making any money off of this. I'm writing this purely because I enjoy it, and I hope you do too.

A Sirius Matter

Chapter 22 - Hogwarts, Here We Come

As Sirius, Harry, and Hermione made their way through the train, Padfoot got a lot of stares. When he'd notice the students, he smiled broadly and said, "Hi, I'm your new defense professor, Sirius Black. I understand that the Dementors were in here searching for me last year. They were early." It was easy to tell who had and who had not read the news that Black was innocent based off of the reactions. Fortunately, every compartment they passed seemed to have at least one person to explain that to the others. Because of Sirius' presence, very few people noticed Harry and Hermione holding hands.

They finally reached the last compartment in the train, which had Neville, Ron, and Ginny sitting in it. "Hi guys," said Harry as he sat down next to Neville.

"How was your weekend trip?" asked Ginny.

"It was great," said Sirius with a grin, "to spend a weekend at the beach."

"There were runes in the area that we got to study," said Hermione excitedly as she sat next to her boyfriend.

"They basically keep unwanted people away," said Harry before Ron, who was rolling his eyes at Hermione, could comment. "It was a great beach."

"Harry was able to translate all the runes," Hermione continued proudly, evidently unaware that Harry was trying to save her from an argument. However, when Ron responded, he wasn't speaking to Hermione.

"Since when do you translate ancient runes, Harry?"

Harry slightly blushed. "Oh, er, Hermione's been teaching me this summer so I can drop Divination. I'm taking a test after the feast. If I pass it, I can say goodbye to Trelawney."

"Of course you'll pass it, Harry!" insisted Hermione.

"But then who's death will the old bat predict?" asked Ron. "It better not be mine."

At that moment the door to their compartment opened, and Sirius, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny had their wands out within a second.

Taking a look around and noticing the professor and the wands, Draco's expression changed to dread for a split second, and then back to its usual sneer. Crabbe and Goyle paled. "Professor, I believe that it's against school policy to point a wand at a student like that. When my father…"

"If your filthy Death Eater father wants to do anything about it, he's welcome to try!" said Sirius with venom in his voice. "I don't know what Dumbledore's playing at letting filth like you attend Hogwarts, but rest assured you and that murderer who spawned you don't scare me!"

Draco's face turned red as an angry expression filled his face. "Teachers can't talk to students like that!"

"Snape did it all the time to Harry! Why don't you and your Death Nibbler buddies find another compartment before I turn you into a ferret."

Draco sneered, "Professor's can't use transf…" At that moment instead of Draco Malfoy, a white ferret was on the floor between Crabbe and Goyle. He then started bouncing up and down as the Gryffindors laughed. Soon the ferret was placed inside Crabbe's pants and the Slytherins were pushed out of the compartment, which closed immediately.

Hermione looked like she wanted to laugh, but was resisting. "You really shouldn't have done that to Malfoy. It is against school rules. You could get in trouble."

"I will not be bullied by Death Eaters or their spawn! If I wouldn't take that from my family, I certainly won't take it from filth like that!" Sirius smiled. "Besides, it's not like I really need the job if I do get in trouble. Anyway, he'll change back in an hour."

Harry put on a straight face and decided to change the subject. "Ginny, did you get your reward from the ministry?"

The redhead smiled broadly at that. "Yes. It was 1,000 Galleons! I couldn't believe it! I bought a few things with it, but for the most part saved it."

"That's smart, Ginny."

"Yeah. Truthfully, even though I enjoyed seeing Bill in Egypt last year, I thought it wasn't very smart for us to spend the money we won in that drawing on a vacation," said Ginny.

"Yeah," added Ron, "I'm glad they at least got me a wand, but honestly it's like they forgot that we could use the money. They spent all of it and then bought us second-hand books and clothes. For once, we could've had new stuff for school! I'm just glad Ginny had that prize money. While we were at the cup, mum bought me these ancient horrid dress robes that she expected me to wear. As soon as Ginny got the money, she bought both herself and me some nice ones.

"That was nice of you, Ginny," said Hermione.

"You'd have done the same thing if you'd seen that ghastly outfit mum bought him," she said as she crinkled her nose. "They even smelled bad. I don't think anyone explained to her that dress robes are supposed to look nice. That's the whole point of their existence. Mum doesn't know but we burned that outfit once we got our robes. They were purple with…" The others were all laughing by the time she'd described them.

-

The rest of the ride went by uneventfully, and true to Sirius' word, Malfoy was back to normal by the time they got to Hogwarts, although Harry thought his hair was even lighter in color than usual. He certainly was avoiding Sirius Black after that, and consequently didn't get near Harry's friends, who stayed with the new professor on the carriage ride. While everyone got wet from the rain, Ron was more drenched than the rest of them because Peeves hit him with a water balloon just before they walked into the castle.

When Harry and Hermione walked hand-in-hand into the Great Hall, many people did take notice. When they heard Draco (once Black was on his way to the staff table) mutter something about holding the hand of a filthy mudblood, Harry glared at Draco and said, "Shut it, you filthy Death Eater spawn, unless you want a repeat of what happened on the train! Sirius showed me that spell. Of course, I've never tried it before so I might mess up and make you half a ferret instead."

Draco's eyes widened in fear and he silently turned on his heel and went to the Slytherin table.

"Sirius didn't show you that spell," whispered Hermione as the sat at their table.

Harry smiled at his girlfriend and whispered back. "Draco doesn't know that." She started giggling softly.

"So," said Lavender, who had walked up to them grinning, "I see you're holding hands. Does that mean that you're dating?"

Hermione blushed and nodded as Lavender squealed and said, "I've got to tell Parvati!" and almost ran back to where her best friend was sitting.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "At least now everybody at Hogwarts will know that you're taken. Hopefully that'll stop most blokes from asking you out."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You know that nobody ever asked me out before you. I," she looked down. "I know I'm not…"

"If they saw you in that bikini they would!" said Harry with a wicked grin, causing her face and neck to turn crimson.

After a few moments of regaining her composure, Hermione said, "I'm just hoping the girls will leave you alone. Especially since we started exercising, you look really good."

Harry took her hands in his and looked her in the eye. "You're the one who looks good. But even if that weren't true, you have absolutely nothing to worry about even if other girls do like me because of my stupid fame. You're the one I want."

She kissed him quickly just before the sorting began. After that Dumbledore allowed them to eat before making his speech. Hermione was surprised to find out from Nearly-Headless Nick that Hogwarts had so many house elves working in the kitchens, but continued eating after Harry asked Nick, "Are they happy here?"

"Yes," the ghost said, "Many of them claim that Hogwarts is the best place to work in all of Scotland, except of course when that poltergeist is terrorizing them."

Soon the time came for Dumbledore to make his speech. After welcoming the students and reminding them of the rules, he introduced, "…our two new staff members. Professor Black, who I'm sure most of you know was recently cleared of all the charges that were against him, is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." There was a round of applause.

He then continued. "As Professor Snape will be busy this year performing other duties, he will no longer be teaching potions, while he does remain the head of Slytherin house." There was tremendous applause from every table but Slytherin. Albus then motioned to a gray-haired woman in tan robes and said, "Professor O'Brian is the new potions teacher." There was mild applause for her. Harry thought she had a kind face as he made himself look at her and not at the murderer she was replacing.

Dumbledore was lucky no one tried to hex him when he announced that there would be no Quidditch this year. However, the news that the Triwizard Tournament was being held instead seemed to alleviate the anger, until he said that only people seventeen years or older would be allowed to submit their names to the impartial judge. Harry however, realized that Hermione must be rubbing off of him as he went over the runic symbols he'd studied that summer and was anxiously awaiting his test. He didn't pay any attention to the details of the tournament once he knew he couldn't enter even if he wanted to, which he didn't.

Hermione giggled when she heard him whispering the names of runic symbols while Dumbledore was still speaking. "You'll do great, Harry," she whispered, "Don't worry."

"Does hearing that help you if you're taking the test?"

She looked down for a moment. "Er, no."

Eventually the students were dismissed to there dorms, and Harry made it a point to find out the Gryffindor password from a prefect before walking toward the staff table. He felt Hermione kiss his cheek and heard her say, "Good luck."

He soon found himself standing in front of McGonagall. "Hello Professor."

"Hello Potter. May I introduce you to Professor Aruna, our Ancient Runes teacher. She'll be administering the examination." She gestured at the professor.

Harry looked at the red-haired woman in her late twenties, and extended his hand. "Pleased to meet you, Professor Aruna."

As she shook his hand, she glanced at his scar. "I'm pleased to meet you as well, Mr. Potter. If you'll follow me to my classroom, we'll get this test over with so Professor McGonagall can write up your schedule."

As they began walking, Harry said, "Thank you for allowing me to take this test."

"Oh, that's no problem. I understand that Miss Granger has been tutoring you this summer."

"Yes. But if I mess up, it's not her fault," he added quickly.

She smiled and turned toward him. "I noticed you holding her hand. Are you two dating?"

Harry blushed madly. "Er, yes."

"Good. She usually sits by herself in this class, and I'd wondered about her social life. Mind you, she's at the top of the class, but I'd hoped she had some people to have fun with."

"We do our best."

"If you pass the test, I'd imagine she won't be sitting here alone anymore."

Harry was still blushing. "She, er, mentioned that when we were discussing the possibility of my taking the class."

"Very well. Here we are." She opened the door to an empty classroom decorated with pictures of magically historical places that Harry knew were protected by runes and they walked in. He chose a desk near the front and she summoned a parchment, quill, and ink. "This quill has been jinxed against cheating," she said with a mock-stern expression. "You can't copy off of anyone in here."

He chuckled. "Oh man. There goes my evil plot."

She smiled. "You may begin now."

-

About fifty minutes later, Harry got up and handed her the parchment. "I'm finished."

"Already?" She smiled. "Either you really know the material or you really don't. Hold on a minute while I grade it." She then summoned the answer key and performed a spell on both it and Harry's test. Both scrolls were then animated as they floated in mid-air next to each other, each revealing specific questions in synchronization as Professor Aruna watched carefully. She'd say, "Next question," every fifteen seconds or so as she smiled more brightly as she went on. Eventually she announced, "You got a perfect score!"

Harry smiled widely himself. "Blame Hermione. She kept drilling me and drilling me until I would dream about this class."

The teacher shook Harry's hand firmly and said, "I'd like to officially welcome you into my class, Mr. Potter."

"Thanks, Professor."

"By the way, Miss Granger is the only other person I know that's gotten a perfect score on this test."

"Really?" he asked, genuinely surprised. "I'd think some of the Ravenclaws would've too."

"Yes really. The last question tricked everyone but you two."

"Why? I thought it was the easiest question on the test."

"Exactly. Everyone else complicated it. They thought it was too obvious of an answer."

"Well, thanks again," said Harry. "It was nice meeting you."

"It was nice meeting you too, Harry. Do you mind if I call you that?"

Harry smiled. "Truthfully, I prefer it."

"Goodnight."

Harry then walked out the doors in the direction of Gryffindor Tower. Before he took five steps away from the door, he saw Professor Dumbledore standing there, but he didn't look normal. He looked almost transparent like a ghost, but he wasn't the color of a ghost. Harry smiled as he realized that Dumbledore must be invisible. He was going to ignore the headmaster until he remembered that he had to speak to him. He walked straight up to Albus and said, "Hello Professor Dumbledore."

Harry couldn't help but laugh at the look on the aged professor's surprised face. He then appeared normal. "I'm curious, Harry. How did you know I was here?"

Harry smiled. "I've had to learn to not allow anyone to sneak up on me," he answered vaguely, "I've actually learned a lot this summer, and was hoping you could help me with a few things."

Albus raised his eyebrows. "Really? What may I help you with?"

"Well, Professor Lupin has been helping me learn occlumency, but feels that I've learned as much as he can teach me. He said that you're a master Legilimens, and that you may be able to help me improve."

"Occlumency?" he said with a twinkle in his eyes, "That certainly is a useful skill, especially considering the dreams you've had of late."

"Sirius believes that they were really happening. What do you think?"

"I think you shouldn't dwell on those dreams."

"But what do you think?" insisted Harry. "Sir, I'd really like an answer."

Dumbledore looked a bit sad. "I do think that Professor Black's analysis is correct, and I also believe that it is a good idea to learn occlumency to block them as you're attempting. Although we may be able to gain a small advantage through those dreams, there is a much greater risk of Voldemort manipulating you through them, perhaps sending false visions." Harry's eyes widened at this thought. "Not to mention the unpleasantness you endure during the ordeal. I shall endeavor to teach you that skill. If you've no objection, I'd like to quickly evaluate you now so I can plan our lessons accordingly."

Harry blinked. He didn't really want the old man in his head, but he figured it was either him or eventually Voldemort. "Alright." Dumbledore looked Harry in the eyes. After a few seconds, Harry felt a tingling sensation that slowly grew as Harry felt his barriers weaken. He tried reinforcing them, but it was too late. He felt Albus in his thoughts for a split second before he was out.

"Very good, Harry," Albus said with a twinkle in his eyes. "I'd say that you're about half way to being a master. I should like to meet with you every Thursday night after dinner."

"Thank you sir. Um, could Hermione join us? She's at about the same level that I am. Ginny Weasley's been learning with us as well, but I don't think it's as important that she learns. She doesn't know as many secrets as Hermione."

"Such as what you've been learning this summer?"

"Yeah, but Ginny knows that too. Maybe she should study with us."

"I don't think it would be productive to have all of you together for the lessons. I can only read one mind at a time. I shall speak to them both individually. I believe you said that you feel it is more important that Miss Granger master occlumency." Harry nodded. "May I ask why?"

Harry contemplated for a moment whether to let Dumbledore know they knew the prophecy, but decided not to. "Well sir, she's my girlfriend now, and, er, I tell her all my secrets. If someone were trying to find information on me, they'd naturally pick her first."

"I understand, my boy, and would be more than willing to help, but you both should be safe at Hogwarts." Harry decided not to mention the various perils he'd faced inside the castle walls. "Was there anything else?"

"Yes, er, one of the things we've, that is Hermione, Ginny, and I, have been learning, can't be done here. I was hoping you'd allow us to go to Black Manor for a few hours each Sunday."

"What is it that you're learning that cannot be accomplished inside the…apparition?" he narrowed his eyes appraisingly at Harry.

"Well, I don't believe that I should answer that question," said Harry with a smirk, causing Dumbledore's eyes to twinkle.

Albus winked. "Then it's a good thing I didn't ask that question. You three may floo to Black Manor for whatever reason it was that has slipped my mind to ask every Sunday after breakfast, but you must return before lunch. Since you won't have Quidditch practice taking up your time, I don't expect this or any other training you may be doing to affect your grades. However, should your professors inform me that your grades are slipping, this privilege, which I insist that you three keep secret, will be taken away. Professor Black is of course welcome to join you, although if I'm not mistaken, Remus will be there to help you as well."

"Thank you sir." Harry decided to add, "After that attack earlier this summer, I want to be as prepared as possible to escape. If I wasn't wearing an emergency portkey then, I'd have died."

"Yes, I heard about that. The Death Eaters do seem to have been active lately." He sighed. "Oh, by the way, how did you do on your test?"

-

When Harry arrived and gave the password, he thought he'd find an empty common room. Instead, he saw Hermione sitting near the door reading. She immediately put a bookmark in the huge tome and closed it as she got up. "Well, how'd you do?"

Harry grinned. "I had no problem remembering where Gryffindor Tower is or the password."

"On the test, you brat."

He put his head down. "Let's just say that I didn't perform like a Ravenclaw."

"Er, um, what did you have a problem with?" she said sadly.

"Well, there was this one trick question on the test."

"Oh, I heard that a lot of people missed that. Surely she didn't fail you for one question."

"Everyone but you and now me missed it. I got a perfect score, unlike any Ravenclaw." He then smiled until she punched him arm. "Ouch! Why'd you do that?"

"You deserved it and I'm not sorry! You had me thinking that I didn't teach you properly! That was mean!"

"I'm sorry, Hermione. I shouldn't have joked about grades. I know how important they are to you."

"They should be important to you as well," she said pleadingly.

"Well, this one certainly is. I don't have to listen to Trelawney talk about my impending death anymore. I'm really tired. Goodnight Hermione." He then kissed her.

"Goodnight, Harry."

-

The next morning at breakfast, while McGonagall was handing out schedules, Lucius Malfoy and Cornelius Fudge (followed by two aurors) walked into the Great Hall and strutted toward the Head Table.

Fudge spoke loudly. "Professor Dumbledore, it has been called to my attention that your new `professor,' Sirius Black, publicly humiliated Draco Malfoy by transfiguring him and accused his father Lucius of being a Death Eater, which we both know he was proven innocent of years ago. As Minister of Magic, I demand the immediate removal of Black!"

At that moment Sirius took out his wand and pointed it at Lucius' robes. The sleeve was severed and fell off while the aurors pointed their wands at Black, who set his down. Sirius shouted, "Look at his arm, Fudge!"

Looking angry, the minister did as he was directed, and his face turned pale as he said, "The Dark Mark? But you…"

"Avada Kadavra!" shouted Lucius, killing the minister and then turned his wand on the guards, nonverbally stunning them (it was faster than avada kadavra) before they could point their wands at him instead of Sirius. Lucius performed another spell and the room went pitch black.

Harry and Hermione both muttered, "Lens-see at night!" to activate the night vision of their contact lenses.

Harry could see him getting out the door dragging Draco behind him. He pointed his wand at Lucius and shouted, "Reducto!" blasting Lucius' left hand, which was holding his son, off. At the same time, Hermione summoned his wand, which came out of his hand because of the shock. Lucius then found himself hanging upside-down in midair.

A few seconds later, the light returned to normal, so Harry and Hermione had to quickly close their eyes and deactivate night vision. When they opened them again, Snape was pointing his wand at a now terrified Lucius Malfoy who was still hanging. After Snape felt Dumbledore had gotten close enough, he released Lucius from the levicorpus spell, but he didn't fall. Surprising everyone, he became a bat with a deformed wing and immediately flew out the door and was gone before anyone could catch him.

Draco had watched the whole thing and didn't know what to do. He only knew he was angry. He turned toward Harry. "I heard you send the spell that took off my father's hand, Scarhead! I'll do the same to you when you least expect it!" He then turned to his Head of House. "Snape! How could you!?! I thought you and he were friends? I'll…"

"Stupefy!" said Snape, effectively stunning Draco. He then turned to the disapproving glare of the Headmaster. "He was getting hysterical and needed to be sedated. I doubted that he'd swallow any potions in his present condition. I suggest taking Mr. Malfoy to the hospital wing."

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->