Unofficial Portkey Archive

Immutable Feelings by memoryspell48
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Immutable Feelings

memoryspell48

Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter does not belong to me, I only wish. This plotline of this story that isn't canon, is mine

A/N: Since I definitely won't be done with this story before DH comes out, I wanted to let you all know that I will be continuing the storyline as planned, even if the story has to be AU. If Harry dies or the ships in canon end up being Ron/Hermione, Harry/anyone other than Hermione (especially Harry/Ginny *winces*), I will continue as if none of this happened. Harry/Hermione forever! That's what fan fiction is for after all, playing with the story to make it the way we wish it was? Just wanted to make sure that was clear. My guess is that other authors on the board will do the same, after all fan fiction is all about molding the characters and the plot in directions you wanted it to take but it's didn't. Okay, now I'm rambling and you all are probably really wishing that I'd just be quiet so that you could get on with reading the new chapter, so enjoy! It's a bit longer than some of the others, which I felt you all deserved since I took so long to update, and since I reached 100 reviews. Yea! Keep reading and reviewing.

Chapter 12 - No Turning Back

Hermione shifted underneath the covers, letting out a soft noise of annoyance, burying her face in the pillow to block the sunlight that was shining through the windowpanes, as she slowly drifted awake. As she turned over, her stomach flipped as she realized that she wasn't in her own bed. She quickly remembered that she had come to see Harry last night after her nightmare, and wondered what time it was. It probably would be best not to get caught in bed with Harry, despite the fact that nothing had happened. She noted that Harry was breathing slowly and evenly, still asleep.

Slowly she rolled onto her side and opened her eyes. Anxiously she peered around, soon noticing that it was far too late to make a stealthy get away. She and Harry had an audience. Ron, Dean, Seamus, and Neville were all gathered around Harry's bed, exchanging looks and whispering amongst themselves. Ron looked absolutely disturbed, his eyes wide and his mouth agape. Neville appeared to be slightly confused about what was going on and the other two boys were sharing amused glances, almost as though they had expected to wake-up to find her in Harry's bed at some point during term.

Hermione felt her face burning in mortification as she pulled the blankets up over her head for a moment to hide; not really wanting to meet the questioning faces of the boys crowded around her boyfriend's bed. She elbowed Harry in the back hard to wake him up. He made a sort of angry snort in protest, but was silenced when he saw his friends staring at the two of them.

"I thought I bloody closed the curtains," he mumbled in irritation to himself, still sounding quite groggy.

"I don't think that the founders should have trusted the girls any more than they did us boys. It seems to me girls take advantage of it. Then again whoever though it would be Hermione Granger to push the rules this far," Dean commented with an amused smirk, holding back a laugh.

Seamus and Neville sniggered loudly, making no effort to hide their amusement about the whole thing. Ron was looking rather ill by this point, clearly disturbed by the fact that he thought his two best friends had just shagged in the boys dorm.

"It's really not what you think, you filthy minded gits!" Harry demanded, getting up out of bed and putting on his glasses which sat on the table near his bed. "I mean look!"

He pulled the covers off Hermione to show that she was still fully clothed in her pajama top and bottoms. Hermione's face turned a shade pinker if that was even possible. She climbed out of Harry's bed and searched around the floor for her slippers, starting to feel less embarrassed and rather angry at the boys were assuming the worst of her and Harry.

"Potter, don't tell us the two of you innocently shared a bed last night. You're a teenage boy for the love of Merlin! We all figured you and Granger had shagged plenty of times already, just didn't think you too were bold enough to do it right in the dorms. Imagine if McGonagall saw this," Seamus told him with a laugh. Harry's expression darkened, clearly he was not amused.

"I tell you we didn't do anything last night, and even if we did, it's none of you lot's business anyway. You all better not go spreading this nonsense around either. Hermione and I could risk getting in major trouble," Harry snapped, rumpling his out of control hair in frustration. "Besides, you have no business to talk, Seamus. All you do is talk about how many women you've scored with."

"Are you sure nothing happened between you two?" Ron asked weakly, his cast still rather greenish, looking much as he had before his first Quidditch match fifth year.

"Ronald, honestly, you should believe your best friends! Like Harry said, absolutely nothing happened. You all just have incredibly vulgar minds and are out to cause trouble where there is none," Hermione snapped, her face suffused with anger.

Ron wilted slightly under Hermione's wrath. "Oh, I believe you Hermione, I swear!" Ron replied hastily. Hermione didn't quite look convinced. She crossed her arms and shot a scathing glance at the rest of the boys, as though she was daring them to challenge her word. They all sifted around uncomfortably, keeping the eyes averted.

"Harry, I'm really sorry, but I have to get back to the girls dorm. I'm sure I'll have to deal with that lot as well," Hermione announced, turning to look at her boyfriend.

"Sure, Hermione, I'll see you later," he mumbled.

She took off quickly for the door, her footsteps loud on the stone stars that let down to the Gryffindor Common Room.

"So, what's it like, Harry?" Neville asked shyly, looking curious but uncomfortable.

Harry groaned. "What are we, girls all of the sudden? I told you all that nothing happened, now can we please just drop it. And if anything did happen I would never sit around and tell you four all about it. There really are more important things to be worrying about." He angrily snatched his robes up from where they were lying on the floor.

Ron nodded in agreement to Harry's sentiments, looking closer to his normal color. "Harry's right. You all are meddling where you shouldn't, and if you don't believe Harry, at least give him some bloody peace!"

Dean and Seamus looked slightly put out, and deciding there was no more fun to be had at Harry's expense for the moment, headed down to breakfast shortly after. Ron looked over at Harry appraisingly a moment, then glanced down at the bed, shrugged and mumbled something about how they should probably hurry down to breakfast. Harry sighed in frustration and pulled on his robes.

"Thanks, Ron," he said, looking up at his best friend, wondering if Ron really had believed him and Hermione. Ron rearranged his features into a weak smile and waited for Harry before taking down to breakfast.

Hermione meanwhile, was dealing with her own set of questions and curious glances. She happened to pass Lavender on her way up the stairs to the girl's dorms; she was greeted with a cold glare. Gossip traveled far too quickly at Hogwarts it seemed.

Ginny was sitting on Hermione's bed waiting for her when she got back to the room. There were several other girls that shared the dorm with Hermione hanging around that clearly must have alerted Ginny to the fact that she hadn't been there this morning. Ron's sister seemed to be in a much brighter mood than the last time her and Hermione had talked. The other girls in the room seemed to waiting around to discreetly listen in. Ginny noticed and gave them a look that made them leave quickly.

Ginny smiled at her older friend, clearly holding back a laugh, and wasted no time in grilling her friend.

"Why didn't you tell me!?!" she demanded in a loud whisper as Hermione sat down on the bed next to her.

"Tell you what?" Hermione asked wearily, though she was sure that she knew the answer to the question.

"You know what Granger! You and Harry, you know, shagged last night didn't you? I figured you would have told me that you were planning on taking that step with Harry, but I suppose if it just happened in the moment, you really couldn't," Ginny babbled excitedly. Hermione rolled her eyes and held back an angry remark.

"No, no, Ginny, I swear we didn't. Why does everyone assume that's what happened? I mean I could have fallen asleep in the library for goodness sake!"

Ginny frowned slightly, looking completely unconvinced.

Her bushy haired friend threw up her hands in frustration. "I mean really, everyone around here has their minds completely in the gutter!" she exclaimed exasperatedly. "If only Umbridge knew how standards have slipped."

Ginny frowned for a moment at the thought of their horrible former teacher and then laughed.

"Oh fine, Hermione. It seems you're telling the truth, but we'll be having this talk again at some point I think," Ginny told her with a smug assurance, as she gathered up some of her books from the floor stuffing them hurriedly in her bag.

"If that's what you choose to tell yourself," Hermione sniffed, as she began bustling about the room to get dressed and ready. She was already so far behind her usual schedule that she would probably have to miss breakfast, not that she would mind the stares of people as she sat down next to Harry. Hoisting her bag onto her shoulder she sighed wearily; it threatened to be a very long day.

Harry and Hermione didn't have chance to talk about their interesting morning, until after Herbology in the afternoon. The boys from Harry's dorm at least seemed to have had the sense not to spread the rumor around the school, as the two of them had gotten very few glances or whispers from other students so far.

"I'm really sorry about this mess, Harry," Hermione told him, as the walked across the courtyard to the library to get some homework done before their next class. "I shouldn't have come to see you last night like that." She nervously placed with a strange of her hair.

Harry frowned. "Hermione, don't you dare apologize. I could care less about what those gits had to say. Really, I'm the one who should be sorry. I should have warned you that they'd be childish idiots if you were still with me when they woke up. I hate that people are saying something about you that isn't true."

Hermione flushed slightly.

"Still, I hate involving you in rumors, Harry. You've been talked about enough over the years at this place," she said sadly. A muscle in his check flinched, but he shook his head.

"Really, it doesn't matter anymore. I'd much rather be involved in a rumor like this, than one in which people are calling me a murder or a nutter, so just don't worry about it anymore," he said firmly, his jaw set in determination. She smiled and took his hand, squeezing it affectionately.

"Harry, I'm sorry if I ever didn't understand enough in the past. People have made fun of me before, but I've never had to deal with things the way you have," she said sadly. Harry smiled, and looked slightly uncomfortable.

"Yeah, well that's the past eh." His eyes widened a moment, as a thought hit him.

"Just realized that I left my bloody Potions book behind, Hermione. I'll be right back. Go ahead to the library without me, I'll meet you there," he told her. She nodded and watched Harry run across the school grounds. She sighed, wishing that she didn't have Draco's father and his scummy Death Eater lot to deal with. The year would have been so wonderful without it.

She was lost in thoughts about Harry, when someone stepped in front of her, blocking her path. She blinked and looked up to see Malfoy. His usual cold sneer was in place, yet he looked oddly amused.

"How's it going?" he said with an eerie grin.

"I'm fine thanks, much better than your father who belongs in Azkaban," she responded, smiling sweetly. The smile disappeared from his face, but he chose to ignore her comment for the moment.

"So, Granger, I hear that you and Potter are quite the cute couple. Good think Potter's blind, must need new glasses," he scoffed. "You two deserve each I suppose, although I still don't see why he'd go for a filthy Mudblood like yourself."

Hermione fixed an icy glare on him. "Why does it matter to you? It's not like I stole Harry from you or something," she retorted. Malfoy frowned.

"What did I tell you about talking back to me you filthy little know-it-all!" he spat, his eyes stony in anger. "Don't think I don't know that you and Potter are following. What with his desire to save everyone, and yours to know everything, I figured you'd suspect something was up soon enough."

He stepped forward, suddenly drawing his wand. She took a step back as he pointed it at her chest like a dagger, and bit her lip to keep a small cry of fright from escaping her lips. Malfoy was likely bluffing for the most part, and she couldn't risk giving herself away, by acting guilty of knowing more than even he might guess.

"You're not frightening me, Draco. I know that you wouldn't dare use any harmful magic against me in the school. You wouldn't risk disappointing your father any further than you already have. I really don't know what you're talking about. Harry and I know nothing. You seem awfully paranoid to me, it seems as though you're up to something and just gave yourself away," Hermione said, keeping her expression blank and trying to sound confident, even though her heart was beating wildly in her chest like a wild Hippogriff. Surreptitiously she slid her hand into the pocket of her robes, and wrapped her fingers around her wand tightly.

"Oh, I wouldn't would I?" he replied scornfully, taking no notice of the fact that her wand was now out. "I'd be a little nicer to me if I were you, Granger. You don't want to be upsetting your enemies in times like this, and you wouldn't want a terrible accident or something of the sort to happen to Potter, now would you? You and Potter clearly know something."

Hermione attempted to keep her face devoid of any emotion that would give her away.

"Times like what? I really have no clue what you're talking about, you miserable boy. If I were you, I wouldn't be spilling information all over the place. You never did learn when to keep your mouth shut," she spat, her pulse throbbing in her head. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been so angry. He jabbed his wand harder against her chest. She raised her own, her dark eyes stony.

"I know you're lying through your teeth you little Mudblood. You can't fool me! After all, why would Ginny suddenly act so coldly towards me lately, huh? I am sure you told her something that you heard, and I will find out what!" he told her hotly.

A scornful smile spread across her lips. "So, that's it. You're girlfriend doesn't want you anymore, and you needed to find someone or something to blame it on. No offense, but your winning personality isn't enough to hold onto a girl, unless it happens to be some mindless scum like Pansy," she said, her voice nearly a hiss.

Malfoy let out a mirthless laugh, but looked slightly less cocky. His grey eyes narrowed.

"You've been warned; you and Potter are being watched. Enjoy your sickening romance and happiness while you can," Malfoy told her cryptically, lowering his wand and stepping away from her. He sneered back at her and then took off into the school.

Hermione kept her own wand high and pointed at him, until Draco was completely out of sight. She put a hand to her forehead, wiping away the cold sweat that had formed. She stood there in the courtyard for a few moments, extremely shaken by her encounter with Malfoy, her mind racing. Harry, she had to find Harry!

She turned around and raced towards the Gryffindors dormitories, hoping to catch Harry before he reached the library, taking the path she expected he'd use. Extremely distraught, she bumped into Harry, literally.

He let out a noise of pain as she contacted him solidly.

"Hermione, what's the rush? We still have plenty of time before our next class?" he exclaimed, while putting a hand to his chest, still in pain from having the wind knocked out of him.

Hermione grabbed his arm and pulled him into the nearest broom closet. Harry smiled for a moment and leaned down to kiss her. Gently she pushed him away.

"No, Harry, that's not why I brought you in here! Something's happened, and it's not good," she explained, her eyes wide. Harry looked down at her worriedly.

Before Harry could speak she quickly told him about her encounter with Malfoy.

"He didn't hurt you, right?" Harry demanded, looking her over.

"No, no, Harry. I'm fine, I swear. I am just really worried about what he's going to do next. He knows that we've had our eye on him and his mates, so it will be even harder to find out information. Also, he scares me. He seems extremely eager to avenge his father and to prove himself. I am afraid that you'll be attacked, Harry," she said, her voice growing strained with emotion.

Harry sighed, looking very concerned about all that he had just heard. He looked down into her eyes sadly.

"Hermione, if you feel like you'd be safer, not being involved with me, I understand. It's why I broke up with Ginny. And it's even worse this time because I love you, and selfishly, letting you go is the last thing I want to do," he said quietly.

She inhaled sharply, her mouth set in a hard line as she returned his gaze. "Don't you ever mention anything like that again, I swear Harry! I love you too, so much. Besides, no offense, but your logic is rubbish because even without you, being Muggle born makes me a target no matter what," she told him assuredly, and then hugging him tightly.

"I suppose you're right, Hermione," he said tenderly.

She smiled. "I always am," she replied with a laugh. He grinned and kissed her. Despite the trouble and darkness that was ahead of him, the future seemed less grim with Hermione by his side.

-->