Unofficial Portkey Archive

Immutable Feelings by memoryspell48
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Immutable Feelings

memoryspell48

Disclaimer: Canon Harry Potter is not mine, nor do I pretend it to be.

A/N: I feel really badly for not updating sooner, but for some reason this chapter gave me fits. I knew what I wanted to happen in the chapter but I couldn't get it right the first few tries. So, anyway I hope that you all enjoy this. Once again, I apologize for typos as I wanted to post this as soon as I finished and I'll go back and fix them later. Bad habit yes, but oh well. Oh, and I wanted to thank everyone who reviews all the time, your feedback means a lot to me. Happy reading! 33 days until Deathly Hallows ;)

Chapter 9 - Keeping Friends Close

Harry, Hermione, and Ron sat in the library attempting to get some of their mountain of homework done. Hermione, of course, was well ahead of Harry and Ron, despite the fact that her mind had been racing all day. The three were still unsettled about what they had heard in the exchange between Malfoy and his friends the other day. The worst thing though had been facing Ginny now that it seemed clear that her boyfriend was still scum. None of them had had the heart to tell her anything yet, making any interaction with her more than slightly uncomfortable. It had been worst for Hermione, as she really couldn't avoid Ginny, as Ginny lived in the same dorm as her. The boys could go hide it theirs.

Hermione chewed on the end of her quill, deep in thought, though not about a homework problem. Harry noticed as he looked up from the essay he was writing and frowned. He knew that expression all too well, the Hermione planning face. If there had been a pair of knitting needles around, he'd of sworn she was thinking of something involving S.P.E.W. Feeling his stare, Hermione looked at him for a moment; clearly about to share whatever was on her mind with him.

"We have to tell Ginny what we overheard in the hall yesterday," Hermione whispered to Harry who was sitting next to her at the table, shielding her face from any onlookers with a rather large book. Ron looked up from his own work, blinking sleepily. A few seconds ago he had been nearly fallen asleep in his chair while reading over some notes Hermione had let him borrow from History of Magic. Professor Binns never failed to make him feel like taking a long nap, no matter how many hours of sleep he'd gotten the night before. He was curious as to what was going on behind Hermione's book, hoping that his friends hadn't decided to have a good snog in the library.

"Not really. I don't know if that's really a good idea. After all, we're not sure if any of that was serious or if it was just all talk," Harry replied, pretending to suddenly be very focused on an essay for Snape that was nowhere near completion. "Besides, we really never share stuff like this with Ginny, and I don't know if we should start. Not that I don't trust her, but we usually keep things between the three of us," he added, after pausing a moment. He looked over at Ron for support. Ron, having heard all of what Harry had said, nodded in agreement.

"But, she has to know about this, Harry. Malfoy could hurt or get her involved in his plans without her knowing it. We have to think of some way to tell her, without revealing too much of what we know. I agree that it would be best to keep her out of it, but because she's involved with Malfoy with really have no choice. After all, we can't very well let her stay together with a boy who still thinks it's a good idea to murder you, and me for that matter. She thinks she's in love with him after all," Hermione protested indignantly, putting her book down on the table rather loudly. The three pretended not to notice the librarian glaring over at them.

"I don't see why we have to tell her, like Harry said. After all, if Malfoy is really such a complete git, it will be pretty clear to her fairly soon. Hopefully she's smart enough not to go along if he asks if she wants to go out for a romantic date, that involves a Death Eaters meeting," Ron insisted, homework forgotten.

"Yeah, I still don't believe how she'd think that he's changed. He's just as foul as he's always been," Harry said, his expression darkening.

"You don't think he's got the Imperius Curse on her or something, do you?" Ron asked in quiet horror, his eye widening.

"No, Ronald. You can't be serious. Malfoy may be a foul human being, but he's not that stupid. He couldn't get away that in the school without being caught. Besides, not to sound horribly sappy, but if you love someone your more likely to overlook a person's faults. I've never really watched them together, maybe he does act differently around her," Hermione told him seriously.

"Ugh, it's best that you never have watched them together," Ron said, a look of pure disgust on his face.

"I agree, that's a foul mental image you've caused," Harry complained.

"Yes, well as much as you two can't stand them together, Ginny likes him a lot. I know the pair of you will love it when she breaks up, but she'll be hurt. I doubt she'll take it well when I tell her. In fact, it would be nice to have some support on this," she admonished, waving around the quill in her hand as she spoke.

"I don't know, Hermione. I mean this is kind of a girl matter really. You know how bad Harry is with the ladies' - they always end up in tears, well except for you." Harry frowned, clearly about to protest, but Ron continued, "Don't get mad Harry; I'm not much better either. Clearly we are not the ones with the skill to break this to Ginny," Ron told her, looking rather uneasy about the whole thing. "Besides, since it's my sister, she'd think I was just trying to tell her what to do or some rubbish like that, and you know how she gets when she thinks I am try to boss her around."

Harry nodded in silent agreement, avoiding Hermione's eyes.

"Oh, honestly!" Hermione exclaimed indignantly.

She rolled her eyes at the pair of them, picking up her book again and pulling it closer to her face to hide her exasperated expression from Harry and Ron. It was as she expected, they expected her to break the news to Ginny about how rotten her boyfriend Malfoy truly was…alone. They were clearly trying to worm out of it in every possible way, though they probably thought they were being subtle. Not that she had expected their behavior to be any different. Harry may have defeated Voldemort with the bravery of a hero, but it seemed to have done little to improve his courage when it came to dealing with girls.

She scribbled angrily, nearing the end of an Ancient Runes essay that she'd been researching and working on for the past few days, glancing up every few moments to verify a fact in her book. Homework was often an ideal way to vent emotions. She'd been stumped for ideas as how to finish off the essay, but now she only had a few more lines left. Getting the feeling that someone was staring at her, she wearily tore her eyes away from the parchment. A pair of guilty-looking green eyes met hers as she glanced up.

"Hermione, could I maybe see your notes from Potions? I can't read my own writing in this bit here of my notes," Harry whispered as he pointed to a section of his notes that didn't even look like real words, but a child's scribbling. He gave her a crooked smile, knowing full well that he and Ron had managed to thoroughly annoy her earlier and was bracing her temper. His eyes sparkled impishly, given him the appearance of a puppy that had just eaten your slippers but then comes over looking for forgiveness.

She frowned for a moment and rolled her eyes, but shoved the requested notes at him with a sigh. The expression of surprise on his face that accompanied the surprisingly swift acquiescence of his request, made her mouth twist into a grin. It was hard to be annoyed with Harry for very long. Harry winked at her and fell to looking at the notes. Though not by much, Harry at least seemed a little more concerned with his studies, she noted, going back to her own work. Ron leaned over to sneak a peak at the note's Harry had managed to get having dozed off completely that particular day.

The three were so focused on their work that they didn't notice a certain red head approaching.

"Hi, guys!" Ginny greeted them cheerfully. She was holding an armload of books, clearly meaning to settle down and study with them.

"Hey, Ginny," Hermione replied, forcing a quick smile. Ron and Harry, however, only managed to look extremely uncomfortable, especially when Ron dropped a book on the group, causing a loud thump that caused several students to look around and glare.

Ginny looked confused a little confused by their behavior but didn't say anything.

"Hermione," she whispered. "I was wondering if you had a moment to help me with this essay for Transfiguration. I don't know why it's giving me so much trouble, but you're the best person to help."

"Oh yeah, of course I can help, Ginny. Could I meet you upstairs in the Gryffindor common room in about five minutes? I can't really talk much in here. I just want to quick finish up this essay for History of Magic." Ginny smiled thankfully.

"Yeah, I'll see you in a few," she said, and took off to grab another book or two. Harry and Ron looked very relieved to see her going.

"Wow, way to get rid of her Hermione! I thought she was going to sit down with us to chat and study. I don't think I could have taken how bloody awkward that would have been!" Ron told her, clearly relieved.

"You're being so stupid about this Ronald. And no offense, but you are as well Harry. Just because she might have to break up with Malfoy doesn't mean she is going to fall into pieces or crumpled into a heap crying when I tell her. Honestly, you two really don't know anything about girls' feelings sometimes," Hermione snapped in annoyance. She quickly finished over her essay, giving it one last look over as she refused to use a spell to correct her mistakes. Quickly she rolled in up into a neat scroll, placing it in her back along with the rest of her things.

"Well, I'll see you two later. I hope Malfoy doesn't get you in the meantime," she announced as she got up from her seat. Ron was sulking about being scolded and Harry looked rather guilty, but said nothing.

***

Hermione slowly walked down the hallway towards Gryffindor's dorm not all that eager to face Ginny herself. She knew Ginny would be fine, but what she didn't know was if the younger girl would believe everything she had to tell her. This was a sticky situation no matter what way she looked at it.

Hermione smiled weakly as she stepped in through the portrait hole. Ginny was sitting alone in the common room flipping through a book when she got there. Since it was the weekend, most people were elsewhere studying or visiting with friends from other houses. Ginny smiled when she spotted her.

"Hey, Hermione! I really appreciate you helping me. I know you probably are overwhelmed with work yourself but things have been getting really hard this year. Anyway, I just have to do well on this essay or McGonagall will kill me."

"Oh, you don't have to thank me. It's really no trouble," Hermione insisted. She took a seat across from Ginny her favorite chair. "Listen, there's something I have to talk to you about before we go over the essay," she continued. Ginny nodded, looking curious as to what Hermione was about to say.

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" Hermione sighed and shook her head.

"No, not really, and what I am about to say might sound unbelievable, but I swear I wouldn't lie to you."

"I know that, Hermione. Please tell what's going on. You're worrying me."

"Well, a few days ago, Ron, Harry, and I were walking back from class and we heard people whispering. We stopped, curious as to what they were talking about. Turns out it was Malfoy and his old group of friends. From what they were saying it sounds like Draco's father, along with the rest of the Death Eater's are up to something, and no good ever comes of that. It seems he is the same as always, Ginny. I know that you two are together and that you care about him, but for your own safety I had to warn you," told her, speaking as quickly as possible so that she wouldn't lose her train of thought as she spoke.

Hermione nervously wrung her hands, waiting for Ginny's reaction. Talking the whole thing about it made her feel strangely unsettled. Ron and Harry hadn't been acting that concerned, but she was still very upset about the new possibility of yet another threat to Harry's life.

"Ginny?" she queried. Ron's sister looked strangely calm, although her face was devoid of color.

"Are you sure? Really sure? I am just having such a hard time believing this," she finally squeaked. Hermione nodded sadly. She rose from her own seat and sat next to Ginny.

"I know this hard to deal with, but it will be okay. There's better guys out there, and I know you wanted to see the change in him, but really some people just can't change or don't want to," Hermione said, trying to be comforting.

"It just doesn't make any sense. This is crazy really, like a nightmare. I love him and am sure he feels the same way about me. Why would he do this?" Ginny whispered, more to herself than Hermione.

"I-I think I need to go lie down for a little bit and process," she added, getting up abruptly from the couch.

"That's fine; just don't do anything foolish, like go after him or something. Please."

Ginny relatively calm reaction was more disquieting that extreme anger or sobbing would have been. Hermione sadly watched her younger friend walk up the stairs and leaned forward, burying her face in her slender hands. This year was supposed to calm, happy. Why did things have to get complicated? She looked up at the sound of someone entering the room. She lifted her head and blinked in surprise to see that it was Harry.

"What are you doing here?" she blurted. Harry smiled uncomfortably.

"I feel bad that Ron and I dumped this on you alone and that was wrong. I am probably too late to help now, as from the look on your face it seems you've told her," he admitted. Hermione ran up and hugged him in answer.

"Harry, I am so worried," she whispered, a few tears escaping her brown eyes.

She closed her eyes, feeling his warm breath on her neck.

"It will be fine. I promise. Nothing can be worse than Voldemort right? And we got through that together. Please don't worry. I just hate that you have to deal with all this because of who I am," he told her sadly.

"Oh, Harry. I don't care. I just don't want anything to happen to you. I love you, you know," she cried, biting her lip in surprise for letting the last bit escape. To her surprise Harry didn't seem upset by this revelation, as he kissed her heartily in response.

"I love you too, Hermione," he whispered, kissing her again on the top of the head.

-->