Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Strike Upon the Hour by gti88
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Strike Upon the Hour

gti88

Disclaimer: I don't own HP

Ever done it at the office? Come on now, don't be shy, we know you did ;)

In that case, let the sparks fly…favourite couple's going at it again…

Chapter Five: In the Heat of the Day

"Mr. Potter?"

Harry snapped out of the brief trance that had overtaken his senses?

"Yes?" he asked.

"If you could please place your signature on the line here," directed the clerk behind the desk.

"Oh, right," Harry conformed and quickly signed the form at the bottom.

"Excellent," replied the clerk with a rather fixed smile. "The divorce hearing will take place exactly one week from today."

"Thank you," Harry smiled.

"Quite welcome," she replied. "Have a good day now."

"I certainly will," he said. "And you do too."

His heart feeling inexplicably lighter, Harry walked out into the corridor, and back towards his office. Suddenly, the afternoon's work seemed much more pleasant and bearable, compared with his original opinion of it, when he came in the morning.

Yet, a surprise was awaiting him at the front door of his headquarters. Not expecting to see him so soon, the rookie Auror Harry had instructed to follow Ginny, was standing, nervous and anxious, in front of the door.

"Sir!"

"Brenton? What are you doing here?" Harry was puzzled.

"The reports, sir," explained the Auror.

"Ah, yes. So soon?" he inquired further.

"Well, sir, the job was not terribly difficult."

"Alright then. Come on in, and let me hear what you have uncovered," said Harry and opened the door; the young Auror followed closely behind.

Harry took the chair behind his desk, and motioned to his visitor to start speaking.

"Well, sir," he began, "Ginevra Potter was spotted entering London yesterday evening. She remained for one night at a flat, located on Grimmauld Place - number eleven, or thirteen, we could not determine, and this morning, her route took her to Diagon Alley. As of this minute, she has entered the Ministry premises."

Perusing the full account of Ginny's movement, Harry was suddenly alerted to the sound of the buzzer that sat on his desk.

"Mr. Potter," sounded the cool, disembodied voice of a female. "There is a visitor here to see you."

"Who is it?" Harry asked with a slight edge.

"The person identifies herself as Ginny Potter," said the voice again.

"Alright, admit her in," Harry commanded, somewhat angrily. "Brenton, you are dismissed. Thank you for your help."

"Yessir!"

The rookie stood up and exited the office.

Harry's temper, however, had flared again. Wondering why he accepted to see Ginny, he waited, seething, for her appearance.

Not five minutes had elapsed since he approved the visit, and there was a hesitant knock on the door.

"Enter!" he said authoritatively.

The door opened yet again, and in walked the fiery redhead, who had so unceremoniously dismissed him, much like a dirty rag.

"Ginny," Harry observed coldly.

"Hello, Harry," Ginny replied, trying to sound as careless as possible, but the nervous note in her voice was noticeable. "How are you?"

"That's not important," he snapped. "Why are you here?"

"Had to talk to you," she answered quietly.

"Yeah? Did you now," he challenged her sharply.

"As a matter of fact, yes!" Ginny's voice grew stronger.

"Don't take that tone with me," Harry raised his voice an octave in return.

"Who, in the hell, are you, to tell me what to do?" Ginny practically screamed. Her hand slammed the desk as she said this.

"I'm the guy, who is divorcing you. Next week, honey!" he shouted.

An unexpected silence followed those words. Harry was breathing heavily, and Ginny could only manage to stare in shock. The clock on the wall could be heard, ticking off the seconds

"Divorcing me?" she repeated faintly.

"That's right," Harry responded firmly.

"But don't you love me?" Ginny pleaded, or at least, made a weak attempt to do so.

"Don't patronize me, Ginny," he immediately strangled her answer. "You said you were in love with that worthless git, Malfoy. What could you possibly need me for?"

"He is most definitely not worthless!" the redhead flared up once again.

"Really? And what exactly does Malfoy offer you," Harry said, unable to keep the sarcasm from his voice.

Ginny fixed him with an exceptionally cold stare.

"Everything you didn't," she told him icily.

Those words immediately wiped the sarcastic smirk from Harry's face.

"I see," he observed, calmly looking into Ginny's still fervent gaze.

"Well?" she prompted him.

"Well what?" Harry asked.

"Aren't you going to admit it?"

Harry had become, similarly to the reader, utterly confused. "Admit what?!"

"Oh, don't pretend you aren't aware of what I am talking about, Harry," Ginny continued on scathingly. "D'you honestly think I'm the only one guilty here? That you're innocent."

"Ginny, what are you on about?" Harry inquired nervously.

Inexplicably, he thought he understood to what she was referring; that night…

"The moonlight beach," she declared loudly. "I saw you Harry, becoming quite intimaete with Hermione that night…"

An involuntary smile had flitted across Harry's features when his mind recalled the night in question; yet, the smile was brief, lasting no more than a moment - unfortunately, plenty long for Ginny to notice.

"How dare you smile!" she chastised him once again; Harry's face had immediately returned to its stony demeanor.

"I…are you certain it was me?" he tried a lame excuse

"Positively," Ginny replied. "And why did you do it?"

"Perhaps for the same reasons you shagged Malfoy behind my back," Harry took on his own accusatory tone.

"Oh, and what would those reasons exactly be?" Ginny said challengingly.

Harry leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes. A sigh escaped him, and he raised himself from his chair. Walking around to the front, he leaned on the desk, and looked down at Ginny; she was not sure - was it sorrow, regret, perhaps frustration, he was trying to communicate?

"Ginny," he said heavily. "I think it is time we have a long overdue talk."

"Whatever do you mean?" she asked in confusion.

On the contrary, Ginny was very well informed of what Harry was going to say.

"Us," her husband continued. "Our relationship."

"Hmm," she acknowledged quietly. "What about it?"

"Everything, Ginny," Harry answered softly. "It's over between us."

She found herself silently agreeing to his statement. "What happened?"

"Five years of miscommunication," he said. "You were away for long periods, and I sat, waiting for you. Well…I suppose I just grew tired of waiting."

"Our careers," Ginny put in when Harry had seized talking. "We just grew apart."

"Aye, that happened too," Harry nodded. "Our priorities became different - you want a glamorous life, and I want a quiet one. That, I think, is the main, unbridgeable difference between us."

"Maybe," Ginny seemed to agree. "But it's different with Draco - he just tunes in more with my character than you do, Harry."

"Completely understandable," he said. "It's how I feel about Hermione."

"You do?" Ginny asked, albeit slightly incredulously.

"Yes."

"Well, in that case…"

"What about it?" he looked at her.

"I am just wondering, Harry, if we aren't making a mistake, going our own ways."

Harry paused for a minute, thinking.

"Maybe not," he said at last.

"Are you certain about that?" Ginny asked him quietly.

"Well, face it, Ginny. There is no point on denying it any more - our relationship is spent. Even if we continued, it would not be long before you find another bloke to shag behind my back."

She was slightly taken aback by his honesty and insight, and as a result, offered no response.

"I know I'm right, Ginny," he continued. "But I'll appreciate it if we remain friends after all this is over."

"I think that would be possible," she replied with a slight smile. "And you'll have to accept the fact that Draco Malfoy has my heart now."

"Not promising anything, but I will try," Harry said. "However, there is one condition…"

"And what is that?"

"You accept Hermione, because just as Malfoy is yours now, she is mine."

"Won't Ron be angry about it?" Ginny inquired incredulously, this time really surprised with Harry's calm tone.

"Oh, I think it can be arranged," he replied mysteriously. She still looked at him suspiciously.

"Alright then," Ginny said. "If there is nothing more, I'll see you in the hearing next week."

"That you will, and I'm more impatient than you are for the date to arrive," Harry answered.

"I don't have a doubt about that," Ginny muttered. "Well, goodbye, Harry."

"See you later," he said, and watched as Ginny stood, waved at him, and departed through the door.

"At last," Harry said to himself, and with renewed vigor, took on to finish his work for the day.

**

Hermione was not in the slightest concentrated to finish her duties, as had been the tendency with her recently. Her mind was reeling with impossible and wild ideas about a world, where she was with Harry, and her relationship with Ron was as friendly as it had been before their marriage.

The reason for her alarm and frustrations at the moment was the horribly awkward last evening she had spent with Ron. He had pretended normalcy, or as much as he could, bearing in mind the fact that a guilty conscience was tormenting him, and she had had to appear as if she knew nothing of the affair.

She was not completely innocent either. She had thought about Harry, a bit too much, admittedly, and in her carried state, she let the dinner burn. However, the expected complaint from Ron did not come for some strange reason - clenching his teeth, he ate the charred chicken to the last bone.

Hermione did not dare bring up the topic of Ron's adventures with Luna. The strained conversation eventually had frustrated her, and she retired for the night. Ron, feeling useless and awkward, had turned in shortly after her.

To place a lid on her current dilemmas, those pesky erotic dreams infiltrated her while she slept - needless to mention who their primary focus was, she woke up drenched in the morning. After a quick shower, and a hasty morning greeting to Ron, she rushed off to work, even without her customary cup of coffee - one more reason she felt quite snappish today.

Her spirits sinking even lower, Hermione sipped from the horrible tasting office brew. Gagging, she put the mug down, and looked at the consecutive report. She poised her quill to write another line, when a sudden knock distracted her.

"Come in," she said without looking up.

The door opened, and then was shut quietly behind the newcomer. Immediately, she heard the lock click.

A horrible thought flitted through her mind.

Oh no…

Her eyes looked up. Oh, yes!

No words were spoken. She stood up to greet him, but barely managed to rise off her chair. His arms snaked around her, and the green eyes captured hers.

Reports? What reports…

Her wonderment about Harry's visit quickly evaporated. She immediately figured why he was here.

The intense gaze made her weak. A second seemed as long as a century; she felt her brain going…the familiar passion arose within her.

Dreams? No, this is real…

Hermione's eyes closed. The mere contact between their lips sent shivers through both; the kiss was electrifying…hands began to roam, up and down, to her legs, back, stomach; she wasn't inert either - responding to every touch, every kiss, with ministrations of her own…

Time flew by, and neither remembered what had happened, until…

…She was stuck up against the wall, her head bent backwards, and as if by themselves, her vocal chords were producing moans of pleasure, as Harry's rhythmic thrusts provided wave after wave, after wave, of increasing pleasure, and a desire for more, that made her feel primitive, wild, free…

"Harry…the desk…" Hermione managed to breathe between gasps.

Absorbed in what he was doing, Harry barely managed to understand her. Primal desire had swelled in him too - each stroke caused a firework display in his mind; he thought of nothing else. It was wild, passionate, raw…

He whirled her around, and they slid across the desk, almost collapsing in the process. Quills, papers, folders, everything crashed to the floor spectacularly; they however, did not have a care in the world.

The anticipation built, sweat poured from both, breathing became more labored; harder and harder it became to resist; Hermione was coming closer and closer to another unforgettable climax…as was Harry, coincidently.

The steps of someone echoed outside in the hall. Yet, they were deaf to the outside world…it was only their world that was held significant; absorbed in it, Harry and Hermione were at peace, harmony…perfection.

A silent knock sounded. Hermione arched her back, whimpering more and more intensely…Harry's eyes were closed, a dreamy expression having overtaken his features. She was absorbed, unaware, consumed by his presence…

The visitor insisted he not be ignored. Yet, he was…

"Harry!"

Hot, sticky and warm…Hermione opened her eyes, and smiled, the tension leaving her muscles. He collapsed against her.

"Amazing," Harry whispered in her ear. She could not agree more.

The tranquility, however, was not meant to last. The person outside was attempting to twist the doorknob to open the door, but with no avail. Hermione was slowly becoming aware of her surroundings.

"D'you hear something?" she asked Harry.

"No," he murmured, while making a hot trail of kisses around her collarbone. "I used a silencing charm."

She relaxed for a second, but only for a second.

"Alohomora!" came a loud voice from the other side of the door.

To her horror, Hermione saw the door opening, and the prominent red hair of Ron Weasley became visible.

"Bloody hell, why would you…"

Ron's voice died instantaneously, as he froze in his tracks.

"Oh…"

"Ron!" Hermione shouted.

Harry's head snapped up, and his eyes met Ron's - they were marked by betrayal and confusion.

A/N Chapter five…an exciting conclusion is coming up as the story begins to wind down, and in the meanwhile, reviews are more than appreciated! :D

-->