Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Strike Upon the Hour by gti88
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Strike Upon the Hour

gti88

First off, a gracious thank you to everyone who reviewed the story so far :D

And now, the aftermath…keep your hats on, as Ron lets hell loose…

Chapter VI: A Confrontational Healing

Harry had hastily managed to throw his clothes back onto himself - in an effort to appear at least half-decent.

"Ron," he said. "This…this isn't what it appears to be…"

"Save it, Harry," came his icy reply.

"Look, I'm not the only one in this room who is not innocent," Harry replied accordingly.

"That isn't relevant right now, Harry," said Ron sharply. "Why in the hell are you shagging my wife?"

It was evident to Harry that Ron could barely contain his anger. In asking his last question, he had also taken a step closer.

"The same reason you fucked Luna," Harry told him quietly. "Admit it, Ron, there's no point…"

Ron, however, did not permit his best mate finish. Harry felt a fist connect with his jaw, and he was sent flying back into the desk. There was a resounding crash, and Harry's head began to throb painfully when it made contact with the wood.

"Ron!" Hermione shrieked from the corner where she had found temporary refuge.

"Don't start with me!!" Ron shouted in return. "It's already bad enough!"

Still carried astride by his unleashed anger, Ron's foot kicked Harry in the stomach, while he was still down on the floor. The latter's face distorted in pain, but his eyes looked up defiantly.

As if he was a wild rhinoceros, Ron stood, staring at Harry in hate.

Harry wheezed and coughed up blood, as he staggered to his feet.

"You…you bloody prick," he gasped, still grimacing from the pain in his stomach. "She knows."

Ron's eyes flashed dangerously again. "What does she know?"

"That you shagged Luna, dimwit," Harry told him, and a chuckle escaped him; immediately after, he coughed again.

Ron was uncomprehending for a second, but then his gaze settled on Hermione, who was trembling in fear.

"Is that true?" he asked her.

Deciding, in her panicked mind, that honesty was currently the best coarse of action, Hermione nodded affirmatively.

"And you didn't tell me!" Ron shouted again and started towards her, but a strong arm stopped him.

"Touch her, and I will kill you," Harry said dangerously low. "Go on, try it."

The first flickers of hesitation entered Ron's eyes; Harry meant every word that escaped him. He angrily wrenched his arm from Harry's grasp, but his feet remained rooted.

"Alright now?" Harry asked him in a rising tone. "You're just as guilty, Ron. Don't take it out on me or Hermione."

The anger and resolve in Ron suddenly died. Reason seemed to be at last, returning.

"I'm sorry, Harry," his shoulders collapsed and he looked at the floor.

Hermione, her eyes still fearful, took a few tentative steps forward.

"Are we calm enough now?" she asked the room at large.

"I think so…" Harry answered her.

"Good then."

An uncomfortable silence followed those words, and at last, Hermione decided to attempt breaking the ice.

"Ron?"

"Yes, Hermione?"

"Look…I knew you slept with Luna. Harry told me, and that's why I was acting weird the other night…I was hoping you would tell me," Hermione explained.

"Well, at least you knew," Ron said bitterly. "And I didn't have the slightest idea you were shagging Harry behind my back."

"That was not very correct of me, either," Hermione lowered her head. "I'm sorry too."

"Aren't you going to say anything, Harry?" Ron prompted him.

Harry, however, was at a loss. In a way, he was the middleman of the whole scheme. Ron and Hermione had both confided in him, expecting confidentiality on his part - which was foolish, because these matters of personal nature would eventually surface.

For he felt guilty and uncomfortable, because of the fact that he kept information, which had caused turmoil for both of his best friends, one of which had quickly become much more to him…

"Look, Ron, I am sorry too…this whole affair is…crazy!" frustration finally took hold of him.

"Crazy, right…" Ron agreed, and another bitter smile came onto his features. "I just did not expend to find you and Hermione this way."

"Believe me, we weren't expecting you either," Harry said.

"Where does that place us, Harry? I mean, our lives are already chaotic enough - where do we go from here?"

"Not backward, in any case," he said. "Hermione?"

"I'm really sorry, Ron," she repeated her apologies again. "But I cannot hold it any longer. Five years was too long, and I have an inkling that neither of us was really happy with the marriage."

The redhead observed her for a minute, thinking.

"Hermione, believe me, I know. I've been talking to Luna for a year before you learned about me and her…well…"

He did not finish and averted his eyes from Hermione. "How long did you and Harry hide?"

The frankness of the question made both his companions rather uncomfortable.

"Not long…" Harry started, and paused. "A few months, maybe…"

"A few months?" Ron asked. Why did he have to be so inquisitive, Hermione fumed inside.

"Yes, a few months," Harry replied with a tone of finality.

His best friend was slightly taken aback.

"Alright, no need to be angry again," Ron said complacently.

"Bit rich, coming from you," Harry jabbed him with an ironic smile. His head was still throbbing.

Overall, the situation seemed to have calmed down enough. The awkwardness and enmity were still present, but would eventually be overcome.

"Ron, I have a proposition," Hermione said confidently. "To resolve this once and for all."

"I'm listening," he replied.

Hermione took a deep breath. "Divorce," she said.

"Well, I could have figured that out."

"I'm sure you could have Ron, but there is no time for more petty arguments," Hermione told him rather sternly.

"Alright then. When d'you want to be divorced from me?" he asked her.

Harry's love thought for a minute. "When I know that you're happy. Let me see you with Luna, just to know that this decision won't torment me for the rest of my days."

"Will do," Ron affirmed. "I'll go owl her right now even, to invite her tonight for dinner."

"Sounds splendid," Hermione agreed, and watched Ron, as he turned and left in the direction of the Ministry's mailing department.

Harry released a breath he didn't realize that he had been holding. Frankly, he could not believe the exchange that had occurred between them over the past hour.

He had defeated Voldemort, was now the head of the Auror department, but still managed to be ashamedly beaten up by his best friend. Yet, Harry felt he deserved it - he had not been honest and fair, and did regret it. However, on the other hand, the end justified the means; his friendship with Ron may be strained for a while, but it did endure one of its most frightening tests of loyalty and understanding.

For now, he would focus on his relationship with Hermione - he knew she was satisfied with it, and he intended to keep her happiness. As for her post-marriage relationship with Ron, he could not honestly say what would happen; perhaps they would resume the friendship they had from their Hogwarts days. On the other hand, the consequences, good or bad, of their unsuccessful marriage could not be ignored.

Their relationship could retain its friendliness, although it would be slightly more distant and formal - time was needed to adjust to the new circumstances.

**

Ginny looked out the window from her flat. She could hear Draco's steady breathing on the couch as he slept on.

The reason of her disquiet was not associated with Harry - but rather, with her family. She had retained her relationship with Draco a secret from the rest of the Weasleys. By now, however, she was certain Ron was aware - Harry would have told him.

The two people who were the main alarm of her concern were Molly and Arthur - her parents. Her father had a long history of enmity with the Malfoy family, and her mother would definitely not approve; for reasons Ginny could not fathom, other than the shared hate, but she was bound to reject the relationship.

And how would Draco cope with the entirety of the pressure thrust upon him? His father was dead, and Narcissa Malfoy had disappeared without a trace shortly after the war ended. He was left to fend for himself in this world, and she was determined to stay by his side, as was he to support her in every way he could.

Another sigh escaped her. Her beloved rolled over on the couch, and mumbled something in his sleep, before quieting again.

Ginny's thoughts returned to thinking of ways to tell her parents. She knew she had delayed the confrontation on purpose, and the façade of her soon to be terminated marriage with Harry would not hold for much longer.

She had mentioned the issue to Draco on several previous occasions, but he had not been successful in coming up with a solution. His observation that he would be prejudiced based on his heritage, was currently, infallibly correct. Nothing he could attempt by himself, even with Ginny's support, would appease Arthur and Molly.

Despite the recent tribulations her relationship with Harry had proceeded, she decided on asking them both for their assistance - well, mainly Harry, and ask him to persuade, if he could, Ron to join her effort.

Taking a fresh piece of parchment and a quill, Ginny moved Draco's legs further into the couch, and sat down. Thinking, and simultaneously worried, she began to write.

**

Ron had already dressed in his best set of robes. He paced around the kitchen, nervous, expecting his invited guests to arrive soon. The table had been lavishly decorated and prepared to serve the guests - the testament of Ron's cooking abilities stood at the center of the table. Surprising even himself, Ron could not help but think the turkey looked rather tasteful.

Earlier, he had sent a note to Luna, inviting her to dinner, and she had graciously agreed to come, as indicated in the letter she returned to him a mere hour later.

The other two people that were showing up were Harry and Hermione. Ron was more nervous about how Harry would receive him, having in mind the brawl between them, which happened the very same day. Hermione was a completely different dilemma; having snapped in her company, and hurt Harry in the process, would most certainly damage their relations.

Yet, they had both also consented to be present tonight, and Ron's nerves were already thinly stretched, as the clock slowly crept to the accepted hour.

And then it struck; one, two…eight times altogether.

Nearly immediately after, the doorbell rang. Ron fixed his attention away from the clock, and proceeded to open the door.

The sight in front of him depleted the air from his lungs, and his mouth fell slightly open. Luna stood there, in an elegant dress, a bit revealing, but accentuating her figure rather nicely, Ron thought. The soft red dress she was wearing reflected a little of the light from the kitchen, and produced a very pleasing to the eye glowing effect.

"Ronald?"

Luna's voice quickly sobered Ron from his musings about her dress.

"Oh, do come in," he said quickly, and a small tinge appeared at his cheeks.

"Thank you," Luna said serenely, and seemed to float inside the flat as she was walking in.

She directed her steps towards the kitchen, and once she arrived there, looked at Ron expectantly.

"Err," he flustered, "did you find the flat alright?"

"I did, yes," she replied dreamily. "It is a very nice flat."

"Well, thanks," Ron cracked a nervous smile. Where was his confidence? His usual conversations with Luna were much more comfortable, even when she sounded completely carried away. What was wrong with him?

She, however, only continued to smile at him, unperturbed by the awkwardness Ron seemed to be feeling.

The second ring of the bell deprived him of any chances to ponder the questions that had risen in his mind. Excusing himself, he went off to admit Harry and Hermione.

Once the party had assembled around the table, the night started to become to an extent, more relaxed. The small talk carried them for a while, but the more pressing matters were looming closer, as neutral topics of conversation started to diminish.

"Mate, look," said Ron, "I know you love Hermione, and that she loves you back." He took another swig of the wineglass he was holding. "And I don't hold it against you, seriously!" he continued, "but I have to know…"

"Yeah, Ron?" Harry prompted him; his best friend was still somewhat nervous.

"That you will take care of her," finished Ron.

"You know that I will," Harry told him, quite seriously too.

"And, you know, about the fight - I'm sorry, again," Ron forwarded his apologies once again. His eyes flickered to the bruise on Harry's jaw.

"Think I deserved it, though," Harry replied solemnly. "After the way I've been acting…"

"No, no, Harry, it's all my fault…I should've told Hermione."

"Maybe I should have admitted that I was with Harry as soon as I could, Ron," Hermione put in.

"It sounds as if you all share the guilt," Luna offered to the conversation.

Her simple statement stunned the other three in a temporary silence.

"We do, don't we," Ron said hesitantly.

"Aye, it makes sense…" Harry affirmed.

Hermione only nodded. She had managed to reach that conclusion some time ago, and it had caused her to feel horrible. Yet her relationship with Harry had been worth the pain and sorrow, nevertheless. At last, she would attain happiness.

"Harry?" she said.

"Hermione?"

"Are you divorcing Ginny soon?"

"Yes, next week. Why d'you ask?" Harry asked in puzzlement.

"I was wondering if it would be possible for me and Ron to divorce at the same hearing. We are still only formally bound, and I think it would be wise to end that as soon as possible," she explained patiently.

"Ron?" Luna asked him. "Do you want to do this?"

"In fact, I think it's a swell idea," Ron said enthusiastically. Maybe slightly too much so - Hermione did not appear to be in a very celebratory mood.

"Alright then, so it will be next week we formally end our marriages," Harry confirmed at large.

"Cheers, mate, for a better tomorrow," Ron said, and his toast was echoed all around.

"I love you, Ronald," Luna told her adoring half.

"Love you too, Luna," he replied, albeit uncomfortably - it was an odd feeling, saying those words in front of Hermione.

But Hermione's heart was devoid of jealousy and contempt; instead, it was filled with happiness for Ron and Luna. She would still not quite see eye to eye with her soon to be former husband, but time would eventually heal all wounds caused between them. The genuine smile that lit up her face could not be more real, and she saw Ron visibly relax when he saw her approval.

The rest of the night passed in relative peace - for the seeds of a better future had been planted.

A/N Chapter Six…Ron got a little wild, but all's well that ends well…we got one or two more chapters to finish the story off nicely, and it will be followed by a short epiloguereviews are welcome, as always

-->