Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Summer Job by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Summer Job

Konflickted

A/N: I know this seems to be taking forever, but we have to build up to the fun stuff, ok? Hang in there, peeps.

Lily had to admit that the Potter's had an amazing house. As she walked up the back driveway, she had a perfect view of the back side of the house. She smiled at the thought that this house was so big that she honestly could go the entire summer without ever crossing path, if he was even going to be here. She carried her two small traveling bags to the servants' entranced and knocked once. A round little woman with a weathered face answered the door.

"You Lily Evans? The woman asked. Lily nodded.

"Yes, ma'am," Lily said as the woman gestured for her to follow. Lily followed quickly, the door shutting behind her automatically.

"Good, you got manners," the woman said quickly as she gestured to a small room. "We need more of you with manners. This is your room, an' you are responsible to keep it up."

"Yes, ma'am," Lily said as she placed her bags on the bed. The woman opened the small wardrobe.

"This is your uniform. We work Monday through Saturday, and we alternate nights and Sunday. So long as Mr. Black stays away, you will never have to worry about being called in the middle of the night to make a sandwich," the woman said. "I am Mrs. Miner and you are my assistant."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Miner," Lily said as she took the uniform. It was a simple plain black dress with a white full bodied apron. She would look like a proper maid, and for a moment Lily resented Petunia so much it burned.

"Well, get dressed in your uniform and I will show you our stations," Mrs. Miner said quickly as she closed the door. Lily stripped down immediately and redressed in the uniform. She shook her head, wondering what she was going to do if James did show up over the summer. She knew it was bound to happen, but maybe by then she would have been so exhausted that she wouldn't care.

"It's a bit tight in the top," Lily said quietly as she exited. Mrs. Miner looked at her and nodded once.

"It'll have to be taken out," Mrs. Miner said. She headed down the hallway and Lily followed quickly after her. The ascended the back stairs that dropped them on the bedroom level. "No matter how old or young, we never call our employers by their first names. It is always Mrs. Potter or Mr. Potter, which when the whole Potter family gets together at the end of summer can be confusing. This is Mr. Potter's bed room, which is the youngest Mr. Potter. He is three and his mother and he both live here under her brother's, Mr. Potter's, request. See how confusing it can be."

"Yes, ma'am," Lily said quickly as she penned notes into a little notebook she stored in her pocket.

"We are responsible for Baby Potter's bed chambers, his playroom, his nanny's quarters, which by the way changes often since he is as naughty as his older cousin running nanny's out," Mrs. Miner said. "We are responsible for Mr. Black's quarters and of course, Mr. Potter's chambers. Since they are both away for summer holiday, it is only a matter of time before they get run off and end up back here."

"I have to clean Sirius and James' rooms?" Lily asked. Mrs. Miner frowned.

"Mr. Black and Mr. Potter, please, and yes," Mrs. Miner said. Lily nodded, apologizing and wrote it in the notebook. So much for her keeping a low profile, it was going to be nearly impossible if she had to go in and clean his room everyday.

"You must be Lily Evans," Mrs. Potter said as she came up the stairs, the ornate front stairs that Lily already knew it was understood that she was never to use. Lily nodded and almost curtsied, which looked a little awkward.

"Yes, ma'am," Lily said. Mrs. Potter looked undeniably like her son, or her son like her as it may be. She had the same hazel colored eyes and waves of dark, dark brown hair. Hers was tame though, unlike James' hair.

"I have already heard so much about you from Professor Dumbledore," Mrs. Potter said. "I feel like I already know you."

"Well, thank you ma'am, for giving me the opportunity," Lily said. Mrs. Potter nodded.

"I can see why he likes you," Mrs. Potter said with a slight smile, and Lily wondered if she was talking about Professor Dumbledore or not. She didn't dare ask. Lily didn't really want to know it wasn't Professor Dumbledore.

"Well, Mrs. Potter, I was just showing Ms. Evans here the ropes," Mrs. Miner said. Mrs. Potter nodded.

"Carry on. I am sure we will all enjoy the quiet days before James and Sirius are run off from their current adventure," Mrs. Potter said smiling at them. Mrs. Miner nodded at her head and Lily followed her down to the kitchens.

The kitchen was huge, undeniably huge, and the cook, a chef really, was a big man that reminded Lily oddly of her father. He and his small army of helpers greeted her warmly, but did not envy Lily. When Sirius and James returned, be it in a week or a month, life would be hell for Lily. They didn't know the half of it.

-->