Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Summer Job by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Summer Job

Konflickted

Lily was so angry, she couldn't stand it. If she had as much money as James Potter did, lived in a house as lovely as he did, and owned as many possessions as he did she certainly wouldn't be whining about saying that there was nothing to do. For one, she wasn't a whiner. For another, she would be out having adventures. Granted, James and Sirius had been out having adventures until they had been run off. Lily smirked to herself as she folded their clothes. Only they would be run out in the first weeks of summer holiday.

"When you are done there, could you please take that tray out to the pool?" Mrs. Miner asked as she began to prepare the tray for the boys. Lily nodded once and held her tongue. Except for the alternating nights, Lily was doing more work and seeing James far too often for her liking. She forced a smile that became genuine. This was her Sunday off, and Lily was ready for it. She just needed to get through today and tonight.

"To the pool, yes ma'am," Lily said as she folded the last pair of boxer shorts, checking to make sure that she had placed the garment in the right basket. Lily took the tray of drinks by the handles and vowed to run this right out to them, not wasting time.

Lily took a deep breath, remembering her personal mantra. This was a means to an end. She would get through this, as she had overcome all of her other challenges: her parents' death, her abandonment from her sister, and now Potter. Oh, how he infuriated her. Every time she turned around, he was there with his big stupid grin, goofing off with Sirius. They were the reason Lily kept to herself. James Potter and Sirius Black were both up on all of the gossip, locally and distant. She was determined not to give anyone more reason to gossip about her.

"Lils, come to slather on some sun block?" James teased as Lily placed the tall glasses on the tiny tables at the edge of the pool. She glanced at him, lazing on a raft in the pool. He pushed his hair out of his eyes, the wildness only tamed because his locks were wet from chlorinated water.

"No," Lily said as she began retrieving the empty glasses that were randomly left all over the pool.

"Come for a swim, Lily," Sirius coaxed playfully from where he stood in the pool, scooping water up in his hands and splashing Lily. She jumped back and scowled at him.

"I am busy," Lily said as she gathered the last glass. "Your lunch is almost ready and will be brought out in a few minutes."

"Come on, take off that dreadful uniform and come swim with us," James said. He threw a devilish smile at Sirius. "As your employer, I demand it."

"Nice try, Mr. Potter," Lily smirked smartly, shaking her head as she stalked away. She glanced back at him over her shoulder. "Don't go and drown on us, please. I would hate to go to school with out you."

"Was she joking?" Lily heard James ask Sirius as she headed through the gate, closing it tightly behind her. She laughed to herself and headed into the house, placing the glasses in the sink. Chef looked at her.

"That is where all my glasses went to," Chef said as Mrs. Miner nodded and headed out the door with a heavy tray. "Those boys really can turn a house upside down."

Lily went to open her mouth to reply but the sound of a scream and a crash brought the whole servant-staff practically rushing out the back door and to the pool. Mrs. Miner was flat on her back covered in the boys' lunch, her ankle twisted in an odd position. Lily covered her mouth as Chef went to help Mrs. Miner up. The woman went pale and began to tremble when she tried to put weight on it.

"I think it must be broken," Chef said as her helped the squat woman to a chair. James and Sirius were standing outside of the water, looking at Mrs. Miner in horror.

"Don't cha worry `bout me," Mrs. Miner said as she tried to stand. She fell back into the chair and looked helplessly at Sirius and James. "Don't you worry none, boys. All an accident, really. Didn't see that damned root and nearly tripped right into the pool. Lily, get them towels before they freeze to death."

Lily nodded quickly and retrieved two thick, plush towels from the warmer, thinking to herself that not only could they have gotten the towels themselves, but also to even be able to afford a poolside towel warmer was a sin in itself. She was beginning to resent the rich. She handed them the towels, not even looking at either of them. Chef tried to scoop Mrs. Miner up, but the poor woman was just too heavy for her. Lily was the only one with her wand on her, as she never went anywhere without it whether she used it or not.

Without a word, Lily made Mrs. Miner lighter and Chef shot her a grateful smile as he hoisted her out of the chair and carried her back to the house. Lily hung back while the other servants of the Potter house followed in procession. She waited until the others were out of ear shot, making short work of cleaning up the boys' lunch off the ground. She checked to make sure that the others were gone and then glared at the boys.

"You thought that I was bringing your lunch, didn't you?" Lily snapped at them.

"Don't be silly, Lily," Sirius said. He cracked a smiled at his unintentional rhyme. Lily scowled at him angrily.

"Don't you dare lie to me, Sirius Black. I might be employed here for the summer, but I still know you better than that," Lily said. She was on her feet, one hand on her hip the other jabbing Sirius in the chest. "You intended for that trap to be for me."

"Aren't you a little full of yourself?" James teased. Lily turned her furious glare to him and he backed away a step.

"You really hurt her, James. Sirius. Don't you understand the gravity of this?" Lily chastised angrily. "Regardless of your target, you hurt her. You need to apologize and promise her you will behave better. Mrs. Miner thinks the world of you, and if she knew you did this on purpose it would kill her."

"Sorry," James and Sirius mumbled as Lily scooped up the last of their mangled sandwiches.

"Hey, do you think we can get new sandwiches?" Sirius asked hopefully. Lily scowled.

"I ought to make you eat these ruined ones," Lily snapped at him. Lily hesitated, realizing that she was well beyond boundaries. She straightened up a bit, her sense of purpose and duty returning. "I will make you new lunches and serve you in the dining room. Say, ten minutes?"

"Ok," they said. Lily nodded once and turned to see Mrs. Potter standing there, her arms crossed. She did not look happy.

"May I have a word with you, Ms. Evans?" Mrs. Potter said. She looked past Lily and to the two boys. "You will have lunch in twenty minutes in the dining room."

"Yes ma'am," the three said in unison. Lily carried the tray and followed the regal woman with dread. Lily could feel her heart turn icy cold with fear. Mentally she tallied up the money she had already made, plus the money she had saved from last summer. The numbers didn't equate to a full, final year at Hogwarts.

The two women stepped inside of Mrs. Potter's private drawing room. Lily still held the silver tray covered in James and Sirius's ruined lunch. Lily didn't know what to do with, so she remained standing holding it while Mrs. Potter circled around to one of the plush chairs by the hearth. She looked at Lily standing there, measuring her up. Mrs. Potter took out a small gold bell from her pocket and rang it once. The sound was so faint, Lily scarcely heard a sound. Mrs. Potter's personal assistant appeared as if from thin air.

"Maggie, the tray," Mrs. Potter said as she sat down. The woman nodded and curtsied rather properly. Lily thought that she must ask her about that later when the servants ate together. Lily gulped, fighting back disappointing tears. She had yelled at James and Sirius. She had called them by their first names. She had been caught doing so by Mrs. Potter. Three strikes in one conversation, Lily knew she wouldn't be there for dinner.

"Tea ma'am?" Maggie asked properly as she headed out the door. Mrs. Potter shook her head and waited until the door was completely closed behind her.

"Are you happy here, Lily?" Mrs. Potter asked as she gestured to a chair directly in front of her.

"Excuse me ma'am?" Lily asked as she hesitantly took the seat. She was on edge, despite the comfort of the room.

"It is a simple question, dear. Are you happy here?" Mrs. Potter asked. Lily hesitated. This was not a question that she thought that she would be asked after that little scene by the pool.

"I am thankful to have the opportunity to earn enough money to attend Hogwarts next year, Mrs. Potter," Lily said quietly as she looked at the woman.

"You needn't worry about that, if that is the full reason you are working for us," Mrs. Potter said as she patted her lap. An obese ginger cat jumped in her lap. "Awe, Crookie, you're a dear. Do you like cats?"

"My sister is allergic, so we never owned one," Lily said confused. She hesitated. "What did you mean that I didn't need to worry?"

"We host a few students who aren't able to afford the full cost of tuition and what-not for school," Mrs. Potter said. She smiled at the girl. "I would rather you spend the summer as a guest and let us just worry about your education, dear."

Lily waited a moment, contemplating. She wouldn't have to fold stupid James' boxer shorts or get up in the middle of the night to make stupid Sirius a sandwich. She could lounge around the pool and get a tan, go shopping even if only window shopping. She could have a hell of a fun last summer before her final year. Lily took a deep breath. Sure, it sounded nice.

"Mrs. Potter, with all due respect, I appreciate your offer, really," Lily said. She took another calming breath. "I think I will have to pass. I would feel better if I worked for the money for school."

"Even with my son going out of his way to make your life a living hell," Mrs. Potter said as she continued to stroke the obscenely purring cat. She seemed like she was contemplating why anyone would turn her down in exchange for a summer of work.

"I have dealt with worse from James, I mean Mr. Potter over the past six years at school," Lily said quietly as she struggled still with her pride and her internal child wanting to have a fun summer. Pride continued to overwhelm the inner child with pure logic and sense of self worth.

"Alright, dear," Mrs. Potter said after a second. She smiled at Lily and nodded. "I can see the benefits of working hard over the summer, but should you change your mind, please feel free to come and take me up on the offer."

"Yes, ma'am," Lily said as she stood. Mrs. Potter waved her off and Lily left the room in a hurry. She fled the room and leaned back against the door, her heart pounding. She had been so certain that she had been canned, but she was still employed. Lily held her hand to her heart and thanked her lucky stars that she hadn't been.

Rushing, Lily made lunch for James and Sirius. Both boys were dressed and waiting for Lily in the dining room. She felt flushed as she placed their food in front of them, complete with drinks. She didn't say anything, just went about her work and hurried to do so. She thought to herself just a little longer until she would have a whole day to herself. She just needed to get through dinner and the night, and she would have a whole day to herself.

"Bad news, poppet," Chef said as Lily came back into the kitchen. Lily looked up at him in alarm. Mrs. Miner was there, sitting at the table. Her ankle was bandaged big and fat, the purple peeking from the toes.

"What's the matter?" Lily asked quickly.

"My ankle's hurt real bad, and I was supposed to assist the boys in town to get formal clothes for next week's big dinner," Mrs. Miner said remorsefully. "I hate to ask this of you, since tomorrow is your day off, but could you go in my place? It would be Baby Potter, Mr. Potter, and Mr. Black."

"Tomorrow? It has to be tomorrow?" Lily asked as her happiness slid from her heart and her face. She sighed and nodded. "Of course, no of course, Mrs. Miner. You can't do it on account of your ankle. Just feel better soon, and I will go with them tomorrow. No problem."

"Oh, honey, you are a dear," Mrs. Miner said from her seat. She blew her nose in her handkerchief. "I just didn't know what I was going to do, and the boys can't be trusted to get decent formal wear. Every year, they try to get acid green and venomous purple. Thank you, dear, thank you. I promise I will make it up to you."

"No, problem," Lily said as the glory of a full day off became more and more a distant prize. Lily felt as if she could cry, but she didn't. There was far too much work to be done.

-->