Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ace of Hearts by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ace of Hearts

usako99

Ace of Hearts
Chapter 15

Without taking the time to put on her robe or her house shoes, or even to think about what exactly she was going to say to him, Hermione rushed out of her room to the kitchen. Entering quickly she came to a dead halt almost crashing into the corner of the counter; frozen and unconsciously gaping like a fish.

Silver eyes connected with hers for a moment, silently scanning over her body and observing her face. Hermione closed her mouth, a frown settling upon her features as she looked at Aurora standing before her, in her kitchen holding one of her t-cups and clad in nothing but a white, long sleeve button up shirt. Or to be more specific, nothing but Harry's white, long sleeve button up shirt; she growled

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

She and Aurora stared at one another for a moment longer before Aurora motioned to the pot on the stove.

"Tea?" she asked, giving what, in Hermione's opinion, was a smug look.

She glared, "No... thanks."

"Were you expecting someone else?" The other woman asked taking a small sip from her cup.

"No," Hermione ground out. "I was thirsty, so I just came out for some juice."

"Well," Aurora said with a derisive smile. "Don't' let me stop you, I know how badly you must need your juice," she took another sip of tea. "Especially after seeing how you almost broke your neck to get in here... I think you'll find it in the fridge."

"I know where the ruddy juice is, this is my house after all," she ground out between clinched teeth, but still not moving to retrieve the juice.

Seeing the other woman raise a brow at her, then look between her and the fridge several times infuriated her. She was not going to let this tart come in here and treat her like a guest in her own home! Hermione took a deep breath, composing herself before speaking again.

"I think I'll wait to get my juice," she commented in a sugary tone, composing her face into a look of boredom "it would just spoil if I got it now."

The offending brow went down as Aurora expression went form amused to annoyed.

"Are you implying that I would spoil your juice?" she inquired in a low tone.

Hermione shrugged, grabbing an apple out of the basket on the counter and tossing it back and forth a few times.

"Well you know what they say," she paused, peering closely at the apple then looking over it at Aurora. "One bad apple spoils the bunch," she finished cheekily, cleaning the piece of fruit on her shirt before placing it back in the basket on the counter.

Aurora glared at her for a second before responding.

"You know, green is not your colour, it's so unattractive on bushy haired brunettes." she smirked.

"Just what is that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked, taking a step towards the dark haired woman.

Aurora watched her movement curiously before allowing another smug look to cross her face. "It means; I know that you're jealous, that's what it means."

"Me... jealous of you!" Hermione scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"No, you... jealous of me and Harry."

"I'll have you know that I have no reason to be jealous of you and Harry. Sure, it's quite true that I don't like you. I'll say it straight out, but that has nothing to do with your relationship with Harry."

"Suuuuure it doesn't," Aurora replied still looking haughty.

"It doesn't," Hermione ground out "you are not the first girlfriend that Harry has had you know, and I never disliked any of them. But then again they were never as disagreeable, obnoxious or overbearing as you are."

Aurora snorted, "Ha! Like you have ever met any of Harry's other girlfriends."

"I have!"

The other woman rolled her eyes.

"How would you know if I have or not?" Hermione asked, incensed at her audacity.

"Ginny told me," she stated, sipping her tea again.

"Oh... so discovered her little secret have you?" Hermione said, relaxing and cocking her head to the side; smirking as an unsure expression came across Aurora's face. "You know... that when she's not busy being a Healer at St. Mungo's, she spends her free time as God." She smiled fully when Aurora frowned at her. "Oh, yeah, that's how she knows everything and is never wrong... yep," she took a relaxed stance leaning against the counter. "I understand why you would trust what she says completely, I mean after all, she's always had a way with..." she leant forward, looking around before finishing in a whisper "the daft ones." She pulled back, giving a wink. Her smirk returned. "They just love her to death... trust her completely."

Aurora placed her cup down slowly onto the counter and Hermione could see the slight tremble in her hand from where she seemed to be attempting to control her anger. The other woman then glared at her through long lashes, her silver eyes glinting like knives and her wavy locks that were all black just moments ago, now with blood read streaks running through them. Hermione, unwilling to be cowed by that -that, cow, took a step forward glaring back at her. She wasn't just going to let Aurora just come in here and walk around like she owned the ruddy place. Drinking her tea, out of her cup, telling her where her juice was and most importantly prancing about in her Harry's shirt like some teenage jezebel. Her scowl deepened and an intense frown settled upon her face as they continued to glower at one another for an undetermined amount of time.

"Hey ladies, how's it going?" Ron asked, striding into the room sometime later.

At his unexpected entrance, Hermione and Aurora finally broke their intense stand off with Hermione opting to retrieve the apple she had placed back into the basket earlier and Aurora taking her tea cup over to the sink and emptying out the contents. Though they had stopped scowling at one another, the tension in the room was palpable. Ron froze halfway into the kitchen, looking around uncomfortably unsure of what to do next, after a several moments of a chilly silence he decided to risk breaking it.

"Hey, Aurora, nice shirt, but it's a little big on you isn't it?" he asked, playfully tugging at the collar and oblivious of the death glare he was getting from his girlfriend.

Hermione scowled and Aurora smiled.

"Now Ron," she said looking past him and directly at Hermione "you know this is Harry's shirt. He let me borrow it when I left mine in the living room."

The only thing that kept Hermione in the kitchen instead of doing what she really wanted to do -which was stomping back to her room and casting a silencing charm so that no one could hear her scream and break random objects against her wall. Was her worry that Aurora would tell Ron her suspicions about her being jealous over her and Harry. She took another calming breath before responding to what she knew was a verbal jab from the dark haired woman.

"You know it's amazing that, even tough the shirt is so big on you, it still somehow manages to barely cover anything," she chimed in a sweet voice, taking a bite of her apple.

Aurora gave her a silky smile in return. "I know, but it can't be helped, when your legs are as long as mine..." she looked down at her legs for a second before looking back at Hermione and giving a shrug.

Hermione was miffed at her quick response, and it only deepened when she looked at Ron who was now taking the time to stare appreciatively at the legs in question.

"Actually I wasn't referring to the length, I was referring to the width. Tell me, how is that a shirt that can cover a chest as broad as Harry's, can barley cover your bosom?" she gave a small smile, her brows rose in expectancy.

Ron's head snapped in her direction as he gave her a shocked look.

Aurora glared for and instant before reverting to another smug expression, "Well, I could explain -but then again I wouldn't expect you to understand." her gaze settled on Hermione's less than ample bosom.

Hermione huffed indignant, "Why you two bit-"

"Harry!" Ron exclaimed out of nowhere. "There you areā€¦ the girls were just discussing wardrobe! Glad to see you were able to find another shirt, right Mione?" he gave a nervous laugh.

Hermione turned to see Harry standing in the doorway, wearing a pair of drawstring pants and a t-shirt. He looked at her for about a second, before looking past her and staring at Aurora desire evident in his eyes. Feeling horribly ugly, inadequate and invisible, she pushed past him. Ignoring the tingle from the contact that flowed through her, she stormed to her room shutting the door loudly behind herself, and casting the afore mentioned silencing charm.

**************************************

"I'm sorry," Harry said to Aurora pulling away.

"That's alright," she ran a hand though her dark locks and gave him a small smile.

Harry sat back on his hunches looking at the beauty before him feeling lost and confused. He studied Aurora's face which was turned towards the window, the only light in the room being the moonlight lightly caressing her soft features.

"Aurora..." she looked at him "I want to, I really do... it's just," he searched for words. "I'm just not ready for our relationship to go that far yet. Maybe soon... but... just not yet..." he trailed off as she once again looked out at the window.

"I understand..." she said softly still not looking at him.

"Do you?" he asked, reaching out to touch her hand.

She pulled away from his grasp, wrapping her arms around her bare chest, turning her head she looked him directly in the eyes.

"I do. Perfectly." She placed her hands on the mattress, pushing up and lifting herself off of the bed.

"What does that mean?" he quizzed with a frown.

She looked back at him running a hand through her hair. "Nothing..." she sighed.

"No, Aurora, what does it mean?" he asked again, standing from the bed.

"You know what it means Harry."

"No, no I don't. Perhaps you'd like to clarify."

Aurora sighed "Look I can't do this right now -not like this," she made a motion to indicate her body, which was absent every stitch of clothing except her lacy panties.

"Well, we're going to have to... I don't want you to walk around confused about what happened tonight."

"I'm not confused about anything," she sighed. "Look, I left my shirt in the living room and I really need some tea to relax, if we're going to do this now."

"We are."

She glared at him for a moment before looking around the room, picking up a shirt off of the floor she held it up. "Is it okay if I borrow this then?"

Sighing and running an agitated hand through his hair, he gave a sharp nod yes before looking out of the window. Aurora placed the shirt on her slender shoulders, covering her exposed chest when she buttoned it up almost all the way. Then, giving him one last glance she headed towards the door. As her hand touched the handle Harry called out to her.

"Aurora," she turned to find herself pinned with his steely gaze. "Don't leave. We still have to talk about this."

She gave him a small glare before responding, her voice laced with sarcasm. "Yes sir."

With that she turned and walked out of the room, closing the door softly behind herself.

As soon as the door closed Harry fell back onto the bed and look up at the darkened ceiling, his mind once again working overtime. This was exactly why he shouldn't have gotten involved with a member of his team.

He let out a long sigh, what had he almost done? Up until tonight he had easily prevented himself from taking his relationship with Aurora this far because he didn't want to lead her on considering how he felt about Hermione. Then after everything that had happened earlier this week and then their talk by the fireplace, he had somehow convinced himself that he could have deep feelings for her if he tried. He rubbed his eyes feeling weary. Well, that plan did not seem to be working out. Even though the sex probably would have been incredible... he had found that he was unable to do it. Why?... Why couldn't he have great sex with the gorgeous Aurora?... Because he stupidly still kept wishing that he were with Hermione instead.

'What a wank,' he thought to himself, about himself.

He had to get over Hermione -he just had to. Aurora was everything that he could ever want in a woman. She was funny, sexy, smart, strong, witty, alluring, nice, intuitive and the list went on, the only thing that she wasn't... was Hermione. And for some reason, that one thing was the deal breaker. He groaned, planting his hand in his hair and expelling a long breath, how could he continue with this relationship if he didn't think it was going to go anywhere?

Before he and Hermione had made love, he had done his best to just get to know Aurora, to develop a friendship with her. The plan was to keep it at that pace until it eventually transitioned into something deeper then friendship, then perhaps after that he would be comfortable with it being physical. He just knew that once it reached that point, it wouldn't take long before he would be in love with her and finally be able to push the thoughts of his best mate out of his mind.

Harry shook his head at how incredibly naive he had been. He just needed to talk to Aurora and figure out where to go from here. He abruptly sat up, looking around the room -wait, where was Aurora?

Looked over at the clock on his nightstand and noting the time, he realized that she had been gone for almost twenty minutes. Getting a bit concerned that she had left, Harry rose from the bed. Grabbing a pair of pants to put on over his boxers and a shirt from the wardrobe he hastily dressed and quietly slipped out of the bedroom.

As he neared the kitchen he heard the distinct voices of Aurora and... Hermione? He cringed at the tone of the latter's voice as he got close enough to hear what was being said.

"Actually I wasn't referring to the length, I was referring to the width. Tell me, how is that a shirt that can cover a chest as broad as Harry, can barley cover you bosom?" Hermione said.

Harry's eyes opened wide in shock, he had never heard her talk like that to anyone. Obviously he wasn't the only one unused to her malicious turn of phrase, he watched Ron turn and give her a look probably quite similar to his own.

Aurora glared at Hermione for a second and still not noticing his appearance a smug expression descended upon her pretty features. "Well, I could explain, but then again I wouldn't expect you to understand." her gaze lowered and Harry suppressed a groan, he knew exactly where she had chosen to look.

He heard Hermione give an indignant huff and in his opinion she was right to be upset, Aurora had no reason to look there. Hermione's breasts were perfect, just the right size to fit in your hand and in your mouth...

"Harry!" Ron exclaimed out of nowhere, making him jump as he was brought out of his thoughts. "There you are the girls were just discussing wardrobe. Glad to see you were able to find another shirt, right Mione?" he gave a nervous laugh.

Hermione turned to look at him her beautiful cocoa colored eyes connecting with his for a moment, before he looked away from her and at Aurora instead. He didn't want to take the chance of anyone realizing that the lust that was evident in his gaze wasn't for his girlfriend, but for Ron's. Harry felt her eyes leave his face and a moment later she pushed past him and rushed to her bedroom.

He turned his head away, biting his lip and clinching his hand at his side to keep himself for reaching out and grabbing her wrist as she passed him. The smell of roses and new parchment wafted up to his nose, and his body tightened in response as he struggled to mentally regain control of it. When she slammed her door he, Ron and Aurora all jumped a bit and looked at one another unsure of what to do next.

Harry wanted more than anything to go into that room after her and hold her, comfort her. He knew that she was upset and he knew it not just from her actions, but also because he... felt it. Running a hand though his hair he leant wearily against the wall, looking at the floor for a minute to compose himself before he finally looked up. When he did, he noticed that Aurora was looking back and forth between him and Ron as if waiting to see just who would go after Hermione.

"Ron..." Harry said, cocking a brow when his friend looked at him. After a moment of Ron still not moving, he rolled his eyes and motioned towards the door. "Well... go after her!"

Ron made a pained expression before walking past him to Hermione's door, hesitating and giving Harry another look before raising his hand to knock. Harry felt Aurora come to stand beside him barley brushing his arm as they both watch Ron try, unsuccessfully, to open her bedroom door after receiving no response from his knock.

"Mione," he said knocking on the door again. "Come on... open the door," he knocked harder, quickly loosing his patience. "This is ridiculous," he grumbled giving the door a kick. "Hermione Jean Granger!! Open this door right now!"

They all waited expectantly, Ron looking angrier by the minute, Aurora looking more amused by moment and Harry looking more worried by the second. After a while the door still didn't open, but you could hear Hermione's distinct voice respond from within.

"Go away Ronald!" she yelled, slightly muffled through the door.

"Fine!" Ron yelled back, giving the door one last swift kick. He stormed into the living room with Harry and Aurora following him. They continued to watch him as he stomped around the area for a moment grumbling under his breath his hands clenched into fists.

"Ron," Harry said, "maybe, you.." he trailed off as his friends furious eyes locked on him.

"Maybe I can do what Harry?! Huh, maybe I can turn into you? Is that it!" he yelled, taking a step forward.

"No of course not!" Harry yelled back, "I was just going to say maybe you should calm down!"

"Maybe I should calm down! HA! I'll calm down when I'm good and bloody damn well ready to calm down and not a moment sooner!"

"Why the hell are you so angry with me! What did I do?!"

Ron opened his mouth to respond then closed it, running an agitated hand through his hair and leaning against the back of the couch he looked grimly at Harry.

"Nothing," he said quietly "you didn't do anything..." he trailed off looking at the wall and dangerously close to tears.

Even more guilt consumed Harry as he watched his best mate struggle to hold a breakdown at bay. Taking a few steps forward, he took a place leaning against the couch next to Ron, giving him a pat on the back.

"Don't worry mate, she's just moody, you know how she can be sometimes."

Ron scoffed. "That's just it Harry," he looked at his friend. "I know how she can be, but in all the times I've known her I have never seen her act so... so... jealous before."

Harry looked away, avoiding eye contact with both Ron and Aurora.

"I'm sure that it wasn't jealously," he said quietly "trust me, Hermione does not want me."

Ron stood giving a sardonic laugh, before turning and giving Harry a small mocking smile.

"Whatever you say mate," he said pushing away from the couch and walking to front closet to grab his cloak. "I'm going to head out, I need... some time to think," he looked at Harry who had opened his mouth to comment. "Alone," he finished in a final voice, before Disapparating from the room.

Harry let his head fall back, looking at the ceiling he expelled a breath.

'Now what?' He asked himself. Hearing a throat clear he turned his head and saw Aurora standing a few feet away with her arms crossed over her chest and a frown on her face. 'Well I guess that answers that,' he thought sarcastically, pushing away from the couch and walking towards his girlfriend.

A.N. Well that's it for this chapter 15, you know the routine PLEASE REVIEW!! It is what inspires me to keep writing for you lovely people, and it also helped me to make a few required changes to this chapter. Thanks for your input!!!

-->