Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's Baby by hphglover
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's Baby

hphglover

A/N: I know I've been away for a little while, but I'm back! I've been working on this story for a while, and while I have several chapters written, I'm not done with it yet. I don't promise to update weekly, but I will do my best to update regularly. I've enjoyed writing this a lot, so I hope you enjoy reading it.

Thanks to my beta-reader, Unbloomed, for her wonderful work. All mistakes are mine for not leaving the chapters alone once she is done with them.

I would love to know what you think. Please be kind and review.

HERMIONE'S BABY

CHAPTER ONE: A WISH AND A DREAM

"Are you sure this is what you really want?" Luna asked her dear friend, concern coloring her words.

Luna was frowning while looking through the many pamphlets and papers scattered all over Hermione's desk. They had been discussing the issue at hand for well over an hour and she still had trouble digesting the news.

"Yes, it is. I've thought long and hard about it and those are my two choices."

"You're only twenty-five, `Mione. There's still plenty of time."

Hermione shook her head sadly.

"No one can guarantee me that and you know it."

"The war's been over for eight years now. The Aurors have made sure most death eaters have been caught. You prosecuted most of them making sure they were incarcerated for the remainder of their lives. There is no imminent danger looming ahead. Why is there an urgency to do this right now?"

"Because it will take time. It might not go right the first time. And in between procedures I would have to wait a while. Luna, you're a whole lot smarter than people give you credit for and I know you understand what I've explained."

"What about doing it the old-fashioned way? Is that not an option?"

"Be serious, Luna. Who am I going to ask for help with something as important and complicated as this?"

"We have plenty of friends. One of them would be willing, I'm sure."

"You are married to Ronald, so he doesn't count. Neville is going out with Susan and they should be married by year's end. Draco and Ginny are married as well. There is no one else."

"Yes, there is," Luna insisted stubbornly.

"Don't you even think about it," Hermione warned, pointing a finger at her. "It would be completely unfair to him."

"Why? He's your best friend. He loves you and he would do anything to make you happy. Besides, he's single and has been for quite a while," Luna reminded her gently.

"No."

"It would be ideal and he's the best candidate. Stop being so stubborn, Hermione," Luna begged.

"No way in bloody hell will I ask Harry to help me with this. He's had enough complications in his life already. He's finally able to relax and live normally without the fear of some evil wanker wanting to do him in every five minutes."

"Voldemort is gone and so are his followers. More to the point, what is it that Harry wants most in life?" She didn't wait for Hermione to answer and just plowed ahead. "You know better than most what his dream is. In letting him help, you would be granting his wish as well."

"No, I wouldn't, Luna. That's why I want to do it one of the other two ways. I don't want a commitment and if he was to be involved, there would have to be one."

"I'm sorry, Hermione, but that's a bloody lie. I know you. We have been partners for three years now and I know how much you want to have someone to call your own. If you want to be in denial, go right ahead. But don't think for a second that you can fool me!"

"I don't even know why I told you about all of this in the first place. It was obviously a mistake," Hermione muttered as she started gathering all of the papers.

Luna smiled and didn't bother getting offended by Hermione's words. "You told me because, other than Harry, I'm the only other person on this Earth that has the bollocks to stand up to you and tell you what's up," Luna told her, smiling serenely. Even after all this time, it was almost impossible to make Luna lose her cool.

"Must be because you both have a death wish," Hermione shot back.

Luna had the nerve to laugh and Hermione glared at her.

"Not at all. We know you and we love you. We're not afraid of that fiery temper of yours because we know deep down you're a softy. You don't let others see your weaknesses and your needs as a woman. You're a shark in the courtroom and feared by most criminals. The few that have made the mistake of not fearing you had to learn the hard way."

"You exaggerate," Hermione said, waving her hand in a dismissive motion.

"No, I don't. Your co-workers are in awe of you. Your friends love and admire you. Your parents couldn't be more proud. Look around you if you don't believe me," Luna ordered as she pointed at the walls.

The walls of Hermione's office were covered in plaques, commendations, certificates and letter from dignitaries and Ministers of Magic from nations all over the world. In her short career, Hermione had managed to do what most people couldn't accomplish by the time they retired. Rumor was that she would be Minister of Magic by the time she was in her mid-thirties. Luna didn't doubt that for a moment.

"The only reason those are all up is because the Minister wants it that way. I hate being in the spotlight and you know it."

"Another reason you and Harry get along so well. You have so much in common it's amazing to me that you haven't gotten together yet."

"I love Harry with all of my heart, but he is like a brother to me."

"Yes, so you both say. I still think its crazy," Luna said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Why? Just because all of you paired off together doesn't mean we have to because we are the only two remaining singles in the group!"

"It is not because of that and you know it. You are as perfect for him as he is for you. You're just too blind or stubborn to notice it. Or maybe you're both in denial."

"I refuse to continue this conversation!" Hermione hissed hotly as she slammed both hands on the desk and glared at Luna some more.

Luna didn't even flinch. "Fine! Be stubborn all you want. But he would he happy to do it. He'd do anything for you."

"Luna, as much as I love him and he loves me, I would never ask Harry to do this for me. I just can't," she said, her tone softer this time.

"What is it you can't ask me to do, `Mione?"

Hermione gasped as her eyes flew to the opened door of her office. Standing there with a confused look on his face was Harry. He had opened the door in the middle of their argument and neither had noticed. Hermione glared at Luna, who just smiled and shrugged innocently. Harry stepped into the room and closed the door.

"Nothing, it's nothing," Hermione said, waving her hand dismissively and trying to hide the pamphlets from his view.

"What are all these?" he asked as he picked one up and eyed it curiously.

"Hermione has a bit of a problem and we were trying to find some answers for it," Luna told him while ignoring Hermione's death glare.

Harry was immediately concerned.

"What's the matter, `Mione? Are you sick?"

"No, Harry, it's nothing like that," she was quick to assure him.

Harry finally focused on the paper in his hand and his eyes widened. He took some more after tugging them free of Hermione's tight grip and scanned those as well.

"Are you pregnant?" he asked, eyebrows raised in utter surprise.

"Of course not!"

"But she wants to be and that is the problem," Luna told him serenely as if she wasn't dropping a bomb with her words. "Hermione wishes to have a child of her own."

"What?" Harry shouted.

"Luna," Hermione cried out at the same time.

"Oh, for Merlin's bloody sake!" she exclaimed in an unusual burst of anger. "Hermione, either you tell him or I will."

"Don't you dare. I already told you I don't want him involved."

"And I told you he would be the perfect candidate."

Harry cleared his throat loudly. "I'm still here, in case you two forgot."

"Harry is your best-friend. Tell him or I will," Luna threatened softly once again.

Hermione leaned back against her leather chair and closed her eyes. "I can't."

"So be it, then," Luna said as she turned to face Harry. "Harry, like I told you, Hermione wants a child to call her own. The two choices she has considered so far are adopting an orphan or doing artificial insemination. Do you know what that is?"

"I've heard of it, but I'm not sure how it works," he confessed while stealing looks at Hermione, who was starting to blush.

"Basically, she would go to a Muggle doctor, who would impregnate her with some stranger's sperm in a sterilized environment devoid of love. I, for one, think it's preposterous that someone like Hermione would have to go to such extremes when there is another, more natural, method."

"I see," he said as Hermione groaned at Luna's exaggerated explanation.

"Honestly, Luna, you make it sound so clinical. It isn't that bad."

"It's worse! A baby needs to be created with love whenever possible, as it is in your case. When Ron and I found out that I was pregnant with Matthew we were ecstatic. That child is the light of my eyes and Ron's heart and soul. I want the same for you, `Mione. Why can't you see that?" Luna asked in a voice filled with emotion.

"I don't have the same choice as you. I don't have a man that is totally devoted to me like Ron is to you. I don't know if I will ever fall in love and I don't want to keep waiting to find out," Hermione answered in a broken voice.

She still refused to open her eyes.

Harry watched his dear friend and his heart ached for her. It was true; she had never fallen in love. She'd never been in a serious relationship because work consumed most of her life. After the war she had taken in upon herself to finish her studies in record time and had immediately joined the Ministry in their Law Enforcement department. She had risen through the ranks faster than anyone before.

In doing so, in devoting her life to righting the wrongs Dark Wizards had inflicted upon their world, she had forgotten about herself. While their other friends had learned to balance their jobs and their personal lives, Hermione had dedicated herself to rid the Wizarding world of the scum. Now, at age twenty-five, she found herself entering a lonely flat where her only companion was the ever loyal Crookshanks.

"What is it I can do for you, `Mione? You know I would do it just to make you happy. Please tell me how I can help you," he pleaded in a soft voice.

Hermione shook her head. "There's nothing for you to do, Harry. But I appreciate the offer more than you know."

"Oh, for Merlin's sake, Hermione!" Luna cried out exasperated.

"Drop it," Hermione warned in a low and dangerous voice.

Others would have shivered at her tone, but it was Luna, so she readily ignored it.

"No! Even if you get mad at me or stop talking to me, I'm going to tell him what I think the third solution could be."

Hermione finally opened her eyes and Harry saw the tears that were threatening to spill over.

"It's not right to ask him for such a sacrifice. He's given enough of himself to all of us already."

Harry leaned over the desk and covered Hermione's hand with his.

"I'd do anything for you, Hermione; you should know that by now. Please tell me how I can help you," he pleaded once again. "You've never left my side and now it's my turn to repay some of your kindness."

Hermione could see how much he cared for her in his eyes. He was truly concerned for her predicament. She exchanged a look with Luna and her eyes were pleading with her as well. Hermione took a deep breath. Luna nodded at her in encouragement.

"Harry, Luna thinks the other solution is to ask you to father my child," Hermione whispered and leaned back once again, closing her eyes to block out the look of shock that would surely cover Harry face.

Two tears slid out of the corners of her eyes and down her cheeks.

"You want me to be the father of your baby?" he asked in a cracked voice.

"I told Luna it was a bad idea," she answered.

"That's not what I asked."

Hermione opened her eyes once again and their gazes locked. Warm chocolate brown and brilliant emerald green fighting for dominance, both full of questions, hopes, uncertainty, wishes and dreams. She finally faltered under his more potent gaze.

"I would never ask you to sacrifice yourself like that for me, Harry."

"Again, evading the question. You've gotten too good at that. I want an honest answer, Hermione Jane. Do you, or do you not, want me to father your child? Simple yes or no question," he explained, a bit irritated with her evasiveness.

Hermione looked at him for several seconds, her brain rapidly calculating the pros and cons of her answer. Finally, she knew in her heart what the right answer was, but try as she might, she couldn't tell him that.

"I can't do this right now," she whispered and before either of her friends could react, she stood up and left the office.

Harry stared at the closed door for a moment before he turned to Luna. "Did I push too much?"

"No, Harry. Hermione is just scared. We've been going over this for a while. She was ready to snap and when you cornered her, she did."

"I feel like such a fool," he admitted as he sat down again.

"Don't. She'll come around eventually and I'm positive her answer is going to be yes. We just need to give her time to process it all."

"I was serious, Luna. I would make her dream of being a mother a reality."

"You don't have to tell me, Harry. I know how you feel about her."

He swallowed with difficulty. "You do?"

Luna simply nodded. "It was only a matter of time before you two ended up together. It's practically written in the stars." She patted his hand affectionately. "Give her a few days to cool off and then talk to her again. She'll come around."

"Thanks, Luna."

-->