Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's Baby by hphglover
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's Baby

hphglover

A/N: This is the last chapter of the story. The next one will be an epilogue. Thanks for the lovely reviews and for sticking with the story. This chapter hasn't been beta'd, so please forgive any and all mistakes. Hope you enjoy it as well.

HERMIONE'S BABY

CHAPTER 11: MEETING THEIR LITTLE ONE

The only thing he wished for was having his parents witness all of it, but he knew that they were watching him from heaven and would guard his kids throughout their lives. He wasn't a big believer in Holy things, but in his heart he just knew that and it was enough.

0-0

Before they knew it, it was time for Hermione and Luna to give birth. Hermione was due only a couple of weeks before Luna and they were both feeling it. Swollen feet were now a daily occurrence and they hardly left their houses.

Harry had insisted on buying Hermione a new home. Since money had never been an issue for him and he had plenty of it, he decided he wanted to give Ron and Luna a new home as well. Ron had been completely against it at the time, but since Harry had purchased the home already, there wasn't much he could do. Luna had loved the big house so he had finally given in.

They now lived close to Ginny and Draco, in Manors that were next to each other and had plenty of room for their kids to run. A huge swimming pool was being built out back. A screened in porch would be built around it and it would also have a water heater so they would be able to use it for most of the year. In addition, a pond was close by. Potter and Weasley Manors were both impressive and well taken care of by a small army of very-well paid house elves that were more than delighted to work for them.

While Hermione and Luna got bigger, Harry and Ron took the time to arrange the Manors to their wives liking and the nurseries were both amazing. Neither Hermione nor Luna had been able to stop crying for minutes once they had seen the finished products.

Since Harry and Hermione now knew they were expecting a little boy, they had decided on a safari theme for his room. The walls now sported a light green color and the furniture was done in rich walnut tones that were polished to a shine. The other colors that complimented the room were pastel browns, creams and yellows. Several stuffed jungle animals guarded every corned of the crib. Above it hung a colorful mobile that played music softly and matched the stuffed animals on the crib. The pillow cover and the baby's towels all had Andrew James embroidered on them. A safari jeep also sat on a small table next to the bed and several wall hangings also adorned the walls.

A rocking chair sat next to a tall book case that was full of all of the Muggle fairytale books, Disney stories, and wizarding baby books available. That had been Harry's surprise to Hermione. Since he had no real knowledge of what to buy, he had gone to Hermione's parents and they had been more than happy to help him buy them. While they had not been that impressed with the news that Hermione wanted to have a child without being wed, they had been more than happy when they had found out Harry would be the father and had all intentions of making an honest woman out of her.

When Hermione had seen the rocking chair and bookcase, she had simply stood there, tears pooling in her eyes, unable to say much for the first few minutes. Then she had turned around slowly, hugged him and cried for several minutes. Used to the tears by then, he had hugged her back and rubbed soothing circles on her lower back. He had learned to differentiate between her tears and those were the happy kind.

When she finally complained of lower back pain a few days before she was due, he was immediately on his feet and in action. He had been rehearsing for the past week, and while she had laughed at his anxiousness, he had told her he wanted to be prepared. Their suitcase stood by the door, the car seat had already been placed in their car, and the papers had been filled at St. Mungos, where she would have a private room guarded by a couple of experienced Aurors. Harry was not taking any risks when it came to his wife and child.

As soon as they checked in, the waiting game started. Ron had gone to pick up Hermione's parents and Luna was at Hermione's side as they practiced their breathing together. It was quite the sight and some of the mediwitches made comments about it. They'd never seen anything like it. Harry stood on her other side, holding her hand and kissing her forehead. Hermione's healer had also been by to pay her a visit and to tell them it would still be a few hours.

Several hours later, Hermione was ready, and as always, she put her best effort forward and after several cries of pain and some heavy breathing and pushing, Andrew James came into their world.

When the healer lifted him up so they could see him, tears fell down their cheeks. Harry was asked if he wanted to cut the umbilical cord, and after some hesitation and encouragement from his wife, he did so. Andrew was cleaned quickly and wrapped securely in a blue blanket before the mediwitch laid him gently on Hermione's waiting arms.

Luna had stepped away the moment she had seen him and left the entranced new parents so she could tell their family and friends the good news. Cries of joy accompanied her announcement.

For the next few minutes, they both stared in wonder at their baby, not saying anything, just watching him breathe while he slept peacefully. He was a little red and wrinkled, not to mention a little swollen, but to Harry and Hermione, he was the most beautiful baby in the world.

Hermione took his tiny hand in hers, marveling at the difference in size and noticing how cute his little nails were. And when Andrew James Potter-Granger wrapped his little hand around her index finger, Hermione fell in love once again, took another shaky breath, and thanked all that was Holy for the wonder that was her baby. A lump the size of a grapefruit had taken residence in her throat since she had first seen her baby boy and made it impossible for her to utter a single word. Not that she had much to say. This was one of those rare moments in which she had been rendered speechless, but she didn't really mind. After all, there was a small miracle wrapped in blue nestled in her arms. Mere words were insignificant.

Harry, meanwhile, looked at Andrew's hair, black like his own and probably just as unruly and had to smile at fate's audacity. Not that dealing with Hermione's wild curls would have been easier. The poor kid had no chance when it came to good looking hair, he mused. He wasn't sure what color his eyes would be, but he was hoping they would be a mix of his and Hermione's. One thing he was sure of, his was one handsome baby and the love he felt at the moment was like nothing he had ever experienced before. All of a sudden he finally understood what had driven his parent to protect him as a child, even if it meant certain death. Parenthood sure as hell put things in a whole new perspective for him. He knew then, that given the chance, he would also protect his child with his life.

Just then, Andrew James opened his little eyes and stared up at his mother for the first time. The tears that she had been holding finally fell as she looked back at him.

"Hi," she whispered. "Welcome to our world and happy birthday, my sweet darling."

Andrew James blinked a couple of times, but kept staring at her. Harry smiled at the first connection between mother and son and his tears fell freely as well. To be a part of this, to witness such a tender sight, it was enough to make the strongest man fall to his knees.

"Want to say hi to daddy?" Hermione continued in the same soft voice. "He's been dying to meet you, sweetheart."

Andrew James blinked again and tightened his hold on her finger. Hermione chuckled and finally looked up at Harry.

"Ready to hold him, daddy?"

Harry just nodded, dried his tears quickly and stepped closer to the baby. Just then, Andrew James noticed him and looked his way. His piercing blue eyes were amazing to look at, but he knew they would change in the days to come. He gathered the baby carefully, following Hermione's advice. Once he had the baby in his arms, he stood very still and they watched each other for a few minutes. Harry's tears fell again and he was unable to speak. He had never felt such love, such tenderness and such a fierce need to protect like he did now. This was his son. His heir. And the result of his and Hermione's love.

Hermione watched and fell in love with her man all over again. It was clear that he was completely taken by Andrew James. His love for the baby shone brightly in his emerald eyes. His tears made him manlier to her because they were tears of joy and happiness. Harry James Potter was one sexy daddy!

Harry started walking around the room, humming the entire time, and looking at his beautiful son. Hermione watched, proud and full of love, at the two most important men in her life. Bliss. It was pure, unadulterated bliss.

0-0

A while later, Hermione's parents were allowed in the room and her mother couldn't hold back the tears of happiness at seeing her grandson for the first time. Her father was also teary eyed when he got to hold the baby. They congratulated the new parents and spent sometime talking to their grandson. Hermione watched on amused.

Her parents had always been loving, but were also very serious. To see them so carefree and emotional was new to her and she realized that she liked it a lot. She had read somewhere that when parents became grandparents they acted completely different. They were relaxed and happy and showed their emotions more freely. Instead of feeling completely responsible for another human being, they were able to enjoy being grandparents fully. She had a feeling Andrew James would be spoiled rotten by them.

When he started crying, Hermione knew instinctively that he was hungry. Her mother helped her get ready to breastfeed him for the first time. While it hurt at first, she didn't complain knowing it would be best for him. They all watched in amazement as Hermione breastfed Andrew James for the first time. He held her finger the entire time and Hermione couldn't stop looking at him. He seemed so peaceful and happy. Harry was at her side, watching attentively and marveling at the way nature worked. His love for Hermione multiplied at the sight.

0-0

"Bloody hell, Luna, do you think we're ever going to be allowed in there? It's been a bloody hour since Hermione gave birth," Ron complained while pacing outside the private room. "I am the godfather, for Merlin's sake! Her parents have been in there for the longest time, too."

"Just because you wanted to parade Matthew around for the entire world to see the minute he was born doesn't mean Harry and Hermione are going to do the same. They're doing their bonding with the baby now, so be quiet and wait!" his wife admonished him while she rubbed her huge belly.

"Easy for you to say. You've already met him. How long does it take to bond, anyways?" he kept on whining.

"And then you wonder why Hermione thinks you have the emotional range of a teaspoon," Luna wondered out loud.

"Excuse me? I have matured, woman. You've told me so yourself."

"Of course you have matured, Ronald, but you sometimes still revert to your old self. Now is a fine example of that."

"Fine, I'll sit and act all proper and mature so you're not embarrassed by your husband."

He sat down and pouted while trying to look mature and manly. Luna laughed and patted his cheek lovingly.

"Oh, Ronald, give them a few more minutes. It's not going to kill you. Remember this is a special moment for Harry. As much as he loves you and the Weasley clan, he's never really had a family of his own before. And Hermione is an only child. Her parents also need a moment with them."

Ron was quiet for a moment, as if contemplating her words. "You're right, of course. I never thought of it that way. I'm sorry I'm acting like a fool."

"It's alright, darling; I know you're anxious to see them. Harry will be out soon, you'll see."

0-0

True to Luna's words, Harry stepped out of the room about fifteen minutes later. Ron was immediately at his side and gave him a congratulatory hug. Luna just waved from her seat.

"How are Hermione and the baby?"

"They're both wonderful. Hermione doesn't even remember the pain right now."

"Do you like being a dad?"

Harry just smiled. "I really don't know how to describe what I'm feeling, Ron."

"It's alright, mate. I think I know the feeling. Like you're the happiest man on earth, right?"

"Yeah. You were so right when you told me we're a couple of lucky bastards."

Ron smiled. "We deserve it, though. It was about bloody time things went right for us."

"I never thought I'd know what absolute joy is all about, but when I held Andrew James in my arms for the first time, it felt like my heart would burst."

"Wait until he smiles at you for the first time, or calls you daddy. Man, there is no better feeling in the world."

"I can't wait. Do you want to meet your godson? I know I've been in there for a while, but I couldn't seem to tear myself away from my family."

"Its fine, mate. I was getting a little impatient, but Luna straightened me out right quick. I'd love to meet him, though."

He helped Luna up from the chair and the three of them walked into the room. Mrs. Granger was sitting by the bed, and Mr. Granger was standing behind her. Hermione was holding Andrew James in her arms while they talked softly.

When the door opened, Hermione looked over to them and smiled radiantly.

Ron walked over to the bed and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Hey, there. Feeling alright?" he asked softly.

Hermione nodded at him. "Isn't he beautiful?"

Ron looked down at the baby and smiled. "That he is. You did a wonderful job. Luna told me it was a bit of a difficult delivery but you were strong as always."

"Thanks, Ron. It was worth it."

"I'll say. Do you think I can hold him?"

"Of course." She looked down at her son and smiled. "Andrew James, this is your uncle Ron. Want to say hi?"

Andrew James just kept looking up at her and she smiled. She lifted him up a little and Ron bent down to pick him up. Andrew blinked a couple of times and stared at him as well.

"Hi, little fellow. I'm your favorite uncle Ron. Wait until you meet your cousin Matthew. You're going to have a lot of fun playing together."

The rest of the day was spent with family and friends visiting and wishing the new family well. The room was suddenly full of flowers, stuffed animals and cards. The Minister of Magic had come by to say hello as well as Minerva and Hagrid. Andrew James slept for most of it.

When night time arrived, a bed was prepared for Harry and Andrew's basinet was put in between their parents. He woke up every two hours or so and Harry would bring him over to Hermione so she could feed him. The next morning, both were tired and a little sleep deprived, but they didn't mind. As long as Andrew James was happy, they were, too.

Hermione would be released the very next day and Mr. and Mrs. Granger had decided to take some vacation time. They would be staying at the Manor for a few weeks to help Hermione out. Having been away from her parents for most of her teenage and adult years, Hermione was more than happy they were willing to do that. She was looking forward to spending all of that time with them and Harry got along with them beautifully as well.

0-0

Just as Hermione was going to be released the next morning, Luna went into labor. She really wanted to stay, be there for her as she had promised, but Luna told her she would be fine and to go on home and get Andrew James settled in. Harry promised to be back as soon as he could. At least most of the Weasley's were there to keep a nervous Ron company. Even though he had been through it before, it was twins this time and he was worried about his wife.

Harry took Hermione home, got them settled in, and headed back to the hospital to be with his best friend. Having the Granger's at home with his wife made it easier for him to leave. That and the couple of Aurors he had guarding his family and home.

The twins were born quickly and without much fuss. Luna was a warrior and went through it like nothing. Everyone was amazed at her composure. While Ron had been a nervous wreck, Luna had remained calm and almost smiled through the entire thing. She mentioned that some sort of weird creatures were there to help her along. Used to it by now, the Weasley's just nodded and smiled at her.

Harry was able to go back home later that afternoon and reported the good news to Hermione and their family. Alexander and Samantha Weasley were beautiful and even though they were on the small side, they were healthy. Luna was doing just fine. She had even mentioned maybe having one more. Ron had paled at that and they'd all had a good laugh about it.

Ginny and Draco had announced they would wait another year before adding more children to their close knit group. Mrs. Weasley had pouted a bit, but forgot about it quickly when she went back to gaze at the twins.

All in all, it was another great day that would be remembered for years to come. New babies meant more laughter and joy in their lives. When Harry and Hermione went to bed that night, with Andrew James sleeping peacefully in his basinet by their bed, they felt truly complete and happy. Life was good and they were thankful. Who'd have thought the shy boy that had come to Hogwarts and his bushy haired friend would ever get together, marry and conceive such a beautiful child? Not only that, but they were in love.

The forever kind.

0-0

-->