Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's Baby by hphglover
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's Baby

hphglover

A/N: My apologies for the late post and for not answering any of the reviews as I usually do. I've been sick for a bit. As always, thanks to my beta Unbloomed.

HERMIONE'S BABY

CHAPTER SIX: GETTING TO KNOW YOU AGAIN

"Do you always answer your door so scarcely clad?"

"Only when I want to impress the ladies," he joked.

"Well, don't let me stop you, then," Hermione hissed as she pressed a bag of still warm croissants into his chest and turned around to leave.

0-0

Harry started at her retrieving back for two seconds before he snapped out of it and took off down the hallway after her. Her grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"Where are you going?" he asked, unable to keep the surprise out of his voice.

"Home! It was a stupid idea to come and see you. You seem to be getting ready for someone else."

"I was getting ready for you, woman! I was planning on taking you out to breakfast."

Hermione felt herself blush for jumping to conclusions as she had. A soft oh was her eloquent and intelligent response.

Harry took her hand and led her down the hallway and back into his flat. He closed the door quietly behind them and didn't bother saying anything. He just took her into his arms and kissed her senseless, a bag of forgotten croissants at their feet.

Hermione's response was immediate. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she pressed closer to his body. Her hands roamed his still wet lower back and she loved the feeling of his sleek muscles as they rippled in response to her ministrations. She kissed him back with all of the pent up hunger she had been feeling since waking up wet and aching for his touch.

Several minutes later, Harry broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against hers, their breathing a bit out of control.

"I don't know why you had to assume I was going to see someone else after what happened between us last night, `Mione."

Try as he might, he wasn't able to keep the hurt out of his voice and Hermione caught it. It only made her feel worse about her idiotic reaction.

"I don't know what came over me. It was a stupid reaction and I apologize for hurting your feelings. I didn't mean it," she told him as she laid her head on his shoulder and hugged him close.

"Don't do it again. You should know me better that than and I'm actually disappointed that you don't."

His words cut her deep and she had to face facts: she had been deliriously jealous at the prospect of him going out to see another woman that wasn't her. There you had it. Hermione Jane Granger, bookworm extraordinaire, had feelings just as any other woman in the planet and it came as a shock, even to her.

"I do know you, Harry."

"Then why did you do it?"

Hermione broke away from him and took a couple of steps back. She couldn't really have this conversation being that close to him. She looked everywhere but at him. Harry waited anxiously for her response, since a lot depended on her answer. He wanted to see just how honest she could be.

Hermione ran a hand through her curls in frustration.

"I was jealous, okay?" she finally admitted. "I acted like any other silly woman would have and I let my heart control my actions instead of my brain."

Harry tried, really tried, to keep the smile from forming on his lips, but it was a lost battle and he knew it.

"Thank you."

"For what? I hate acting like a fool."

"Thank you for your honesty. While there is no reason you should feel that way, I am still flattered that you would get jealous at the thought of me being with someone other that you. However, there is nothing for you to worry about. I am committed to seeing this through and there will be no one else in my life for the duration of it, and possibly after."

His words caught her by surprise, especially his talk of the future. It pleased her immensely that he felt that way, since she did as well. Things were going slightly different than planned, but as scary as that was, they both wanted to move forward.

"Do you still want to take me to breakfast? I think the croissants I brought over are mangled beyond recognition."

"Of course I want to take you to breakfast. I was hoping we could spend the day together. I have some shopping to do and I'd like it if you'd go with me."

"Sounds good. I could get some new clothes and shoes."

He raised his eyebrows at that. "You just sounded like such a girl!"

She smacked his arm and laughed. "I am a girl, you oaf! Even when you and Ronald were completely oblivious to that fact for years."

"Believe me, `Mione, I was never oblivious. I just never acted on it."

Before Hermione could reply, he started walking down the hall towards his bedroom. Hermione stared after him, eyes wide with surprise, and wondering what exactly he had meant. Had Harry felt something towards her even back in school? How come she'd never noticed?

She went to the bathroom to fix her make-up and apply a fresh coat of strawberry lip-gloss. She fixed her hair and straighten out her clothes. When she noticed what she was doing, she started laughing. It was actually kind of fun to get ready for someone else, especially when that someone could kiss like an angel!

Once she was finished, she went to the living room to wait for Harry, knowing he was bound to take a few minutes getting ready. Unlike Ron, who took no time getting ready for anything, Harry took his time. Everything was supposed to match. It was one of the reasons she loved going shopping with him. He actually had really good taste in both men's and women's clothing.

Fifteen minutes later, he was back. Hermione took the time to admire him. Light blue Levi's that accentuated his fit legs and tight bum. A stripped polo shirt that his chest filled out nicely. Brown, leather loafers and matching belt completed the look. Even his hair, which was as unruly as ever, looked good. His woodsy cologne reached her nostrils and she smiled knowingly at him. It was the one she had given him for his birthday.

"Ready to go?" she asked as she got up and went to him.

"Yes. Thank you for waiting patiently."

"It's not a problem. You look very handsome, by the way."

"I'm glad you approve, Miss Granger. I did it for you."

"Thank you!"

"And you look lovely yourself. Forgive me for being so blunt, but the way you fill those jeans and that tiny shirt should be consider illegal!"

Hermione had the grace to blush at his candid words. So her jeans were a bit tight and her baby tee hugged her curves. It wasn't as if she had done it on purpose.

Right, said the voice inside her head. And I'm Mother Theresa!

Oh, shut up, you.

Alright, no need to get upset. Just pointing out the obvious.

Completely ignoring you now.

Have it your way, then. Just as long as we both know you dressed with him in mind, I'm happy.

Go away!

So rude!

"Are you done talking to yourself now?" an amused Harry asked.

Hermione snapped out of it and laughed. "Once again, it's scary how well you know me sometimes!"

"Ready to go? All of a sudden I'm starving."

The way he was looking at her body made Hermione wonder what type of hunger he was referring to, but before she could voice her thoughts, he took her hand and led her to the door.

After going to a lovely café and having a late breakfast, they strolled hand in hand down the street and towards the shopping district. Once there, Harry proceeded to a couple of the designer stores and made Hermione try on a few things. Shushing her protests away, he bought her the things he liked best on her. She ended up with three pairs of jeans, a few shirts and polo shirts, matching shoes and belts, and a couple of purses.

He got a similar amount for himself and she stopped complaining then. They reached a lingerie store and Harry raised his eyebrows at her playfully. She pulled him inside and started going through some of the racks while he looked at the items on the tables.

There were so many pretty and sexy things his mind immediately went into overdrive imagining what it would be like to see Hermione wearing some of them. He especially liked the silk and lace ones.

An older sales woman approached him and smiled in greeting. "Anything I can help you find, young man?"

Harry was about to say no, but then thought better of it. "I don't really know her size."

"Is she here with you?"

"See that curly-haired beauty over there? It would be for her."

"Ah, she's easily a 34-C and probably a four." She started rummaging through the table and came up with several pieces. "Do you like these? They would play well against her skin tone and hair color."

Harry nodded while looking at the pieces she had chosen for him. "They're lovely. Are you sure about the sizes?"

"I've been doing this for a long time, young man, so you can trust me."

"In that case, I'll take the lot. Can you gift wrap them for me?"

"It'd be my pleasure. It's a very lovely thing for you to do. I wish more men were as forward in their thinking and did this more often. I can tell you really love her by the pieces you picked. They are going to look wonderful on her."

"Thank you for your help and kind words."

"Follow me, then, and we can get you out of here. Make sure to take her to a nice, romantic dinner tonight. She'll love that. Maybe after, she'll model on of these little numbers for you, eh?" she finished with a wink.

Harry blushed and she laughed, patting his cheek in a motherly way. She rang up the items and wrapped them up for him. After thanking her profusely again, he went to look for Hermione, who was by the lotions counter testing the samples.

"Hey!" she greeted him. "I though you'd stepped out."

"I was doing a bit of shopping. Do you like any of those?"

"I can't decide between these two. Maybe you can help me pick?"

Harry nodded. Hermione raised her left wrist for him to smell and then the right. He did it again and then dropped a quick kiss on each wrist.

"I actually like them both. One is soft and sensual, something to wear at night. The other smells refreshing, like something you would wear to wake up the senses. They both fit you well."

Hermione smiled at him. "I'll get both then."

She picked the lotion, body wash, and spray bottles for each scent and went over to the counter to pay. Harry didn't even try paying for it, knowing well she wouldn't let him buy her anything else. Hermione was too independent for her own good as far as he was concerned. He had more money than he knew what to do with it and he liked to spoil his close friends every now and then.

Once she had paid, they left, hand in hand again and continued their shopping spree. For Hermione it was a wonderful change of pace. She was used to working even on weekends and just being out with Harry showed her there was more to life than work. If she wanted to have a baby, she was going to have to work regular hours and be home on the weekends. She wasn't going to hire a nanny just to take care of their baby. She wanted to be as involved as possible.

"What are you thinking about? You seem really lost in thought."

"I'm thinking about the future of our baby and how I'll have to work fewer hours."

"I'm going to be there to help as much as I can, I hope you know that."

"I do, Harry."

"It won't be so bad. Look at Luna and Ginny for example. They are both dedicated mothers and professionals at the same time. They're doing it beautifully. I don't have a single doubt you will be the same."

"Speaking of, aren't those Ginny and Draco over there?" Hermione asked pointing with their entwined hands.

"It is. Fancy running into them here."

"You know how Draco loves to wear designer clothes. He's such a girl when it comes to that," she joked.

"Don't let him hear you say that. His manhood would be crushed."

"Doubtful. His ego is still astonishingly large."

Harry laughed at her description of the man they now called a loyal friend. Just then, Ginny spotted them and waved her hand enthusiastically at them. Draco noticed and started pushing Elizabeth's baby carriage towards them. Ginny and Hermione kissed on the cheek.

"Fancy meeting you here, Potter. Hey, there, Hermione. How are you?"

"Doing well, Draco. How's our little princess doing?" Hermione asked as she let go of Harry's hand to look at the baby.

While she was bent over the carriage, Ginny and Draco looked at Harry questioningly since both had noticed they had been holding hands. Harry just shrugged a shoulder and smiled at them.

"Have you guys had lunch yet?" Ginny asked and smiled mischievously at Draco.

"No, and now that you mention it, I'm starving," Harry told her and smiled back.

"There's a French bistro just down that side street over there and their food is delicious," Hermione said as she straitened back up.

They all agreed to go and Ginny wasted no time grabbing on to Hermione's arm and leading her away from the men. Harry and Draco looked at each other and the look said it all. Ginny was about to put Hermione through the interrogation from hell.

"So, `Mione, took today off, did you?"

"It was time, don't you think? I don't remember the last time I had a weekend to myself and I'm really enjoying it."

"Would a certain green-eyed hunk be part of the reason?"

"Could be, yes."

"I saw you holding hands. What gives?"

"It's nothing, Gin. You know how close Harry and I are. Our holding hands shouldn't come as a surprise to any of our close friends."

"Ah, maybe not, but the look in his eyes is different. He doesn't look at other women the way he's been looking at you lately."

"Is that so?" Hermione said, trying to buy time.

"I'm surprised you haven't notice. But then again, there seems to be a similar shine in your eyes as well. It suits you both."

"What are you on about, Gin?"

"Oh, Hermione, when will you finally notice you're made for each other? It's so obvious that all of us have been wondering for ages when one of you will remove your head out of your arse long enough to notice."

"Ginevra Malfoy, how very rude!" Hermione exclaimed.

"But so very true. Listen to me, `Mione. Whatever is going on between the two of you seems to be working wonderfully. I mean, you're actually enjoying the weekend as you're meant to do and the world hasn't fallen apart. I hope this is only the beginning."

"I wasn't that bad, was I?"

"When was the last time you went shopping, to dinner with friends, or even just a stroll in the park?"

Hermione was surprise at the answer to that question, so she didn't voice it. Her silence was answer enough.

"Fine, Gin. I get the point. Luna pointed out the same thing yesterday. My name is Hermione Granger and I'm a workaholic!" she finished with a laugh.

"Acceptance is the first step," Ginny told her while laughing with her.

0-0

"Think she's done grilling her yet?" Draco asked as they neared the door of the restaurant.

"They're both laughing, so I'm thinking she is."

"Merlin, my wife should have been a prosecutor as well. She's so bloody good at it."

"I don't think the Wizarding world could handle it. They consider Hermione a shark in the courtroom. Luna fools them with her soft demeanor and by the time they notice the cunning woman behind it, it's too late. Adding Ginny to that would be catastrophic for the criminals. Not to mention we would be basically unemployed."

"Good point there, Potter. Let's go break up their little private party. I'm starving."

"Good idea."

"Oh, by the way, I'm glad you finally found the bollocks to ask Hermione out. It was about bloody time, mate."

Harry was too stunned by Draco's comment to respond.

-->