Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's Baby by hphglover
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's Baby

hphglover

A/N: First off, let me apologize for the tardiness in posting. This is the last chapter I have written up to now. I have two jobs, plus school has started and my time is a little limited, so don't be surprised if I don't get to update weekly as I have so far. Do not worry; I don't ever abandon my stories, so you will see this to the end. Thanks for all the wonderful reviews, they make me so very happy.

Thanks so much to KB for the beta work on this chapter. You're the best!

HERMIONE'S BABY

CHAPTER 9: HAPPY NEWS

Little did they know, as they were coming down from their high, that their frantic lovemaking had just created their firstborn.

0-0

At the tentative calling of his name, Harry looked up from the papers on his desk. An unusually pale Luna stood at his door. His heart sank when he saw the worry clouding her eyes. He immediately stood up as she walked into his office and grabbed her by the arms.

"What's wrong? Is it Hermione?"

"Yes. She's been taken to St. Mungo's."

"What? Why?"

"She fainted while in the middle of a trial. One minute she was arguing her point, and then she fell. Since no one knew what was wrong, we immediately took her to the hospital. Once I made sure Susan Bones was her assigned Healer, I came to get you."

"Let's go then. I'll send Kingsley a Patronus later. I need to be with her now."

"Right."

They Dissaparated on the spot. Once at the hospital, no one tried to stop them as they made their way down the hall.

Since he had told Hermione how he felt two months prior, they had been going out more and speculation was running high as to what was going on with them. It wasn't unusual to see them together, or even holding hands, but there was something different about them and the press was going crazy trying to figure out what it was. Harry refused all interviews and ignored the press. Hermione only spoke when it was related to one of her cases. All of their friends had kept mum about it as well.

After one incident in where Hermione's displeasure at being bothered was made clear with a well-aimed hex, no one dared approach them or interrupt a meal. Harry had been impressed and more than a little turned on. He'd shown her just how much when they had arrived back at her place.

With everything going for them, it was hard for him to digest this new development. Hermione had complained in the past week of headaches and an upset stomach. Because she was working on a big case and was stressing a bit over it, they had chalked it up to that. However, he had made her promise to see a Healer if she felt worse. He hadn't realized it was so bad and now guilt was eating him alive.

If anything happened to Hermione, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself.

0-0

They were asked to wait outside her door while some tests were being run. He paced up and down while Luna sat there and watched him. Ron showed up a few minutes later and he hugged her. She was trembling and worried almost as much as Harry. He shook hands briefly with Harry and asked to be filled in.

An hour later, Susan came out. Harry got up from the chair as she walked over to them. Ron put a hand on his shoulder and Luna put her arm around his waist. Susan noticed this with a smile, but didn't comment on it. It was funny how the Boy Who Conquered could shake like a leaf when it came to Hermione. He just couldn't deal with anything happening to her, that much was clear.

"Just tell me she's okay, Susan."

"Hermione is fine and she wants to see you. You're the first person she asked to speak to when she came to. Go on in and I'll be back in just a minute to talk to her about the test results."

He sighed in relief and Ron patted his shoulder.

"Go on, mate. We'll go in a bit as well."

"Right. Thanks, Susan."

Wasting no more time, he walked over to the door and knocked on it softy before walking in. Hermione was lying on the bed, eyes closed, looking pale and a little under the weather. There were some potion bottles on top of the table and the light was set low. Hermione seemed to be resting comfortably and that eased his mind. For the first time since Luna had come to get him, he could actually breathe regularly.

He pulled a chair next to the bed and held her hand. His thumb caressed her soft skin and her eyes fluttered open at the sensation.

"Harry."

Her voice was raspy and tired, but it was the sweetest sound in the world to him.

"I'm right here, love. How are you feeling?"

"Tired, but better than before. What happened?"

"Luna said you were in the middle of one of your arguments and then fainted. Don't you remember?"

"Not really. I just remember feeling light headed and then waking up here."

"Susan said she would be back soon to tell us what was wrong. Ron and Luna are outside as well."

"I'd like to see them. I bet Luna is upset since she saw how it happened."

"She's been doing better since Ron came over. They will be in to see you once Susan speaks to us."

Just then, Susan opened the door and walked in, carrying some pieces of parchment in her hands. Harry stood up and watched her warily.

"Hermione, there're some things we need to discuss. I don't know if you want Harry in here for that or not, since it's personal."

Harry stiffened, but Hermione squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"Whatever you have to say, Harry can hear it."

"Well, I figured someone else would be here, due to the nature of the news."

"Someone else? Who else would I want here besides my closest friends?"

"Your significant other, for one thing."

"Susan, please just tell me what it is."

"Well, Hermione, you're pregnant," Susan said without preamble.

Harry's knees buckled and he leaned fully on the bed, eyes glassy and wide. Hermione's smile was simply radiant and full of happiness.

"Oh, Sweet Mother of Merlin, Harry, we're going to be parents!" she exclaimed happily and he finally snapped out of it.

He turned watery eyes towards hers, leaned down to cup her face, and kissed her. Susan watched, surprise evident in her face. It hadn't occurred to her that Harry could be the father, thus her insistence that he left. How wrong she had been! It was all so obvious now. Harry's earlier desperation should have been clue enough.

A moment later, Harry was laughing and hugging Hermione tightly to him and Susan smiled at seeing their happiness. It was clear that this baby was wanted and would be loved immensely. Knowing first hand how difficult it had been for them prior to and during the war, she was more than happy that they could share this now.

Harry finally lifted himself from his lover and smiled winsomely at Susan. "How far along are we?"

Susan smiled at his words. Harry was obviously going to be one of those men that didn't leave their women's side during the pregnancy. Hermione was one lucky witch, but she deserved every bit of happiness that would come her way.

"About two months. So in about seven months, give or take, you'll be welcoming your first child into the world. Congratulations to you both."

"Thank you, Susan. Is that the reason I fainted?"

"Yes. You had a bit of a dizzy spell, but because you were in the middle of an intense argument, it turned into more. How long have you been having these symptoms?"

"About a week. I had already promised Harry to have myself checked over the weekend if things persisted."

"I ran all the pertinent tests already and I've prescribed several vitamins and potions that will keep you in shape during this time. I've also asked for some books to be brought by so you can read about the changes your body will be going through during the coming months. Some of them talk about having a magical child when you are of Muggle descent. I figure those would come in handy."

"Thanks again, Susan. I promise to watch over her and make sure she follows all of your recommendations."

"I'm sure you will. You have a couple of anxious friends waiting outside to see you. Should I send them in?"

"Tell them to give us five minutes and then they can come in," Harry told her.

"I'll be back later on to release Hermione. But I'd like to keep her here for a couple more hours to make sure the potions take effect."

"I'll stay as long as I have to, Susan. This time, you won't get an argument out of me." She rested her hand protectively against her stomach and smiled. "This little baby is wanted and already loved more than you know."

"Believe me, I can tell. Again, congratulations to you both. You deserve this bit of joyful news and happiness."

A moment later, Susan was gone.

0-0

Harry looked down at Hermione, happiness shining in his emerald eyes. "We did it, sweetheart. We're going to be parents!"

"Oh, Harry, I wish I could tell you just how happy and excited I am about this. You've given me the most precious gift ever."

He cupped her cheek once more. "This baby is a gift for me as well and I did it out of love."

"I know it." Tears finally slipped down the corners of her eyes. "I love you so much, Harry James. You have made me the happiest girl on the planet and now a child is the result of our love."

"You love me?" he asked brokenly, tears swimming in his clear eyes once again.

"Yes, you adorable man, I'm in love with you."

"Are you trying to give me heart failure or something, woman? I've just learned I'm going to be a father and then you confess your love as well. This is the best day of my life!" he finished in a shout.

Hermione laughed and a second later Ron and Luna burst through the door. They had been spurred into action by Harry's shout. Both turned in time to see a pale looking Ron pointing his wand around the room, while Luna looked towards the bed to make sure they were alright.

"We're fine," Harry told them with a smirk.

"Bloody hell, mate! Why'd you have to shout like that? I though Death Eaters were after your skinny arse once again!"

"I'll have you know there is nothing skinny about his arse, Ronald Weasley. In fact -"

"That's enough, sweetheart," Harry cut her off while blushing.

Luna laughed and Ron turned several shades of red.

"I have to agree with you on that, Hermione," Luna said while checking out Harry's backside. "His arse is pretty impressive."

"Hey! Stop looking at his arse!" Ron whined.

"Your arse is lovely as well, dear," Luna told him while she patted his bum, always the dutiful wife.

He reddened even more. Hermione laughed again.

"Enough talk about arses for now. What did Susan say?" Luna asked as she walked over to the bed and laid the back of her hand against Hermione's forehead. "At least you don't have a fever."

"We're pregnant!" Harry told them happily.

Luna wasted no time hugging Hermione, both with happy tears shining in their eyes. "Oh, what great news!"

"Well done, mate!" Ron said as he gave Harry a very manly hug. "This is perfect!"

"Thanks, mate. We're both very happy."

"How far along are you?" Luna asked as she straightened up and dried her tears.

"Susan said about two months. I'm sure we'll find out the exact date once I've gone to see the healer."

"Should we tell them?" Ron asked as he moved over to Luna's side and put his arm around her.

"Tell us what?" Hermione asked curiously.

Harry helped her sit up in bed and fluffed the pillows behind her back to make her comfortable. She smiled lovingly at him then they turned their attention to Ron and Luna.

"We're pregnant, too!" Luna announced.

"With twins!" Ron added.

Hermione's eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, gods, McGonagall is going to kill us all!"

"Why?"

"Hogwarts is going to have a trio of our kids in school all at once," Luna explained. "I hadn't thought about it that way. You're right, Hermione, we better keep this under wraps!"

"Nonsense, she's going to be excited," Harry said confidently.

"Love, think about it. First Matthew and Lizzie will go in. That's bad enough. Two years later, the twins and our kid will follow. And you don't see the problem? The Potter-Weasley-Malfoy kids back in school all at once?"

Harry looked at Hermione, eyes widening even more as she spoke. "I hadn't thought about it that way! First the Marauders, then us, and now our kids! Oh, it'll be great fun!"

Luna shook her head. "McGonagall still has about 10 years before she has to retire. It'll be fine!"

"Mate, this is wicked! Our kids are going to play Quidditch together!"

"After they do all of their school work!" Hermione put in and Luna nodded.

Harry and Ron rolled their eyes. The next couple of hours were spent by Ron and Harry talking kids and Quidditch games, while Hermione and Luna went over some of the books Susan had sent with a medi-witch.

0-0

Later that night, Hermione lay in bed, reading once again, while Harry was finishing his shower. A few minutes later, he appeared and went over to the bed. Instead of lying next to her, he lifted her tank top and pressed a kiss to her belly. She couldn't help but smile at his actions. What he did next surprised her even more.

Harry laid his head right below her breasts and started stroking her stomach softly.

"Hey there, little one. I'm Harry, your dad. Your mummy and I are so excited that in seven month's time we will be able to hold you. We're going to love you and protect you for as long as we live. And I promise you you'll never feel unwanted or like you don't belong. You are the result of our love and so very wanted. I love you so much already and I can't wait to see you." Another quick kiss to her stomach, and then he resumed stroking her skin softly, humming a sweet song.

Hermione felt the tears escape the corners of her eyes and mingle with the hair at her temples. She had stopped reading the moment Harry had started speaking to their baby, and had been stroking his hair the entire time. If she'd thought she loved him before, that love had more than tripled by his actions. Who would have thought that a man who had been abused constantly as a child and had such a tempestuous youth could be so loving and tender to his own child? Not that Hermione had ever doubted it could happen, but she hadn't thought he'd be so open about it. It filled her heart with unbelievable joy.

Harry finally settled next to her and she hugged him tightly. "You are the most amazing man I've ever known, Harry James. I love you so much!"

"Enough to marry me?"

Her eyes widened in surprise yet again. "You want us to get married?"

"I do. I love you, Hermione. I want our child to grow in a big, comfortable home, surrounded by love and with both parents present. I'm not going to be a part-time dad."

"I didn't want you to be."

"So how about it? Do you love me enough to marry me?"

"Is this because of the baby?"

"No. The baby was created out of love, but he is not the reason. I want to marry you because I cannot see myself living the rest of my life without you at my side."

"Oh, Harry, I can't see the rest of my life without you in it, either. Of course I'll marry you!"

"Yes!" he shouted while throwing his fist in the air. "This is the best day of my life!"

Hermione laughed at his obvious happiness and kissed him. As their kissed grew longer and increased in intensity, Harry pulled back, a worried expression marring his features.

"Can we make love? Will the baby be okay?"

"Of course, darling, we can make love for many more months. But as the baby grows, we'll have to be a bit careful and more inventive!"

"Nothing wrong with being adventurous!"

"Yeah, I didn't think you'd mind!"

"I love you."

"I love you, too, darling man. Thanks for making all my wishes come true!"

0-0

-->