Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magic and Misperceptions by addisonj
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magic and Misperceptions

addisonj

MAGIC AND MISPERCEPTIONS

Part Three: Ron and Luna reunion

Chapter 14: Return

Author: AddisonJ

Beta: DeeMichelle

Disclaimer: The following story is based on situations and characters owned by J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, and their publishers.

***

Harry Potter had faced difficult situations before. Facing the press was always a tough one, as were most social occasions, award ceremonies, and that whole Saving the Wizarding world thing that took seven years of his life, not to mention the ten years prior to that of living with the Dursleys. Yet, facing Ron after deliberating separating him from his love ... that was a whole new category of difficulty.

He had owled Ginny prior to his Apparating back to Grimmauld Place to assure him that he was prepared to take all the blame. Harry was about to enter when he recognised the Weasley owl flying to him. After delivering the bird some owl treats, he read the missive from Ginny.

Harry-

Don't be absurd. We're in this together. I'm his sister, he's stuck with me. You're his best friend, I should be sheltering you. Let's just be honest.

-G.

Confidence increased, he entered their home.

Ron was in the kitchen, eating half a chicken. He looked up when Harry entered, acknowledged his friend's presence with a brief nod, then continued his assault on the poultry. Harry shook out his robes and sat down across from Ron and waited. And waited. And waited. And Ron continued to eat with a gusto that surprised even Harry.

When it was clear that Ron would not be leading the discussion, Harry spoke.

"Ron, I am so sorry. I was absolutely wrong about Luna. She does love you, mate. I thought I was saving my best friend from heartbreak, and I caused it instead, not just for you, but for Luna, too. I'm so sorry."

Ron paused when Harry began the speech, and his listening was evidenced by the decreased speed of his chewing.

At the end of Harry's apology, Ron kept eating for several minutes. It was as if he just completed a fast and had to recover those missing calories.

Harry, nearing the end of his patience, reigned in the temptation to yell, stand up and walk away. This was his best friend, and he needed to repair this relationship.

"Ron, for Merlin's sake, say something!"

It was then that Ron stopped chewing. He took his time wiping the grease from his chin, and looked at Harry long and hard. "D'you have any idea of the agony you put me and Luna through?" Ron began. Harry, thinking about the agony he currently felt from Hermione's rejection, nodded slightly.

"A bit, but I'm sure yours is worse," he mumbled a response, not sure if the question was rhetorical or not.

Ron was just beginning. He pushed back his chair and stood up to better vent his rage. "Luna. She's been heartbroken. How could you convince me to leave without even saying anything at all to her? Without even an owl post? How cruel is that? I had to go over there prepared to beg and plead for her not to hex me. And do you know what she did?" There was a pause in conversation, so Harry shook his head quickly, assuming Ron expected a response. "D'you know what that angel did? She took me back, no questions asked.

"Oh, I told her all about you and Ginny talking me into this. Persuading me. And how my stomach was in knots the whole time because I knew in my heart it was wrong. Gods, Harry! I couldn't even enjoy my time with the Chudley Cannons, that's how upset I was! You know that has never happened before. Well, Luna, my angel, took me back. And she told me she loves me, too! She loves me! Harry, if she had rejected me, mate, well, I wouldn't be this calm seeing you right now and would be hexing you, I would, Boy Who Saved Us or not!"

Harry stood up and approached his friend with a small amount of caution.

"She loves you?" he asked, eyebrow raised with a smirk.

Ron's grin widen in response.

"She loves you? I thought Luna had a bit more sense than that," teased Harry.

"She always was a bit of a loon. Singing `Weasley is our King' is a sure tip-off, eh?" Ron joked. "But she's my loon now."

Harry took another step forward and his friend met him halfway, bringing him into a tight hug. "Ron! I'm so happy for you! I'm happy for you both!"

"She's the one, Harry, I'm sure of it. I'm going to ask her to marry me once things calm down." Ron's face held a defiant air, as if posed for a fight. He got none from Harry, but another warm hug.

"Well done," Harry replied. "Do you think she'll have you?"

"If she has me, I'll be the happiest man on earth."

Harry felt a sudden stab in his chest and absentmindedly rubbed the Veritas, Equality, Love coin that was always present in his pocket. If Hermione had returned his love, he would be saying the same thing. But life didn't work that way. Their lives were not in parallel. Their lives were about to diverge quite a lot.

Harry swallowed the lump that formed in his throat and clapped Ron's shoulder. "You are the happiest man on earth. And the luckiest. And so is Luna because she has you."

Ron grinned. "So you'll come with me to see Luna?"

That was unexpected. "When? Now? To apologise?"

"Yes. She said you don't need to, but I insist. And I think you'll feel better, too, if you did."

"Of course I will. Whatever I can do. I've always liked Luna a lot. She was always supportive of me when things were dark at school. She understood me at times no one else did."

"Well, it's settled then! I'm going over there later today. You'll come with me."

"Um, will her flat mates be there?"

Ron raised an eyebrow but did not ask questions. "Lav and Pav are on holiday chasing some Quidditch team. Hermione's still in Cornwall."

Relief. "Oh, just wondering." Harry looked away, not meeting Ron's gaze.

"Right then. We're going to Seamus' later. You'll join us."

"It'll be good to see everyone again. Um, seen much of Ginny? Is she still touring?"

"Matter of fact, I got an owl from her right after you sent yours. She plans to be back in a few days. Will stop by soon."

"Good, good. Hadn't seen her for a while either," Harry said absentmindedly. Ron raised an eyebrow, but did not pursue it further. He knew not to raise his hopes that Harry would join the family permanently as a brother-in-law.

***

"Luna! I'm home! I'm finally home! Merci Dieu!"

Hermione enlarged her luggage which had been shrunk to pocket-sized for easy Apparating. The house was quiet. Luna had owled her that the two other housemates were on holiday (probably stalking Oliver Wood), but Hermione had assumed that her favourite housemate would be present.

Hermione placed her luggage in her room, but her unpacking was interrupted by odd noises somewhere in the house. Wand raised, she followed. They were coming from Luna's room. Slightly alarmed, Hermione was prepared to hex whoever had bound and gagged her friend when she saw something to stop her in her tracks.

Ron and Luna were engaging in intense snogging with her bedroom door cracked open and insufficient Silencing.

Shuddering, Hermione backtracked quickly to her own room, shut the door and applied a Silencing charm herself to prevent further listening to their lovemaking. Sighing, she realised that it had been quite a while since she had been intimate with a man. Ernie was a friend, Cormac just seemed like a flirt, Draco was a malicious player, and Harry … She wouldn't have put Harry in the category of potential lovers until his declaration days before. She still couldn't process it. She just knew that instead of being repulsed or flattered or any other expected reactions, she just felt hollow and sad.

Hermione sat on the edge of her double bed and hugged herself tightly. She recognised the signs of depression and was concerned that she may be headed towards that abyss. What she needed was a long walk to clear her head which made her think of the long walks on the beach at Linnet, and her warm friendship with Hank Pilsner.

A sniffle escaped. Why did thoughts of him cause such agony? If she wasn't so sure it wasn't, she would have labelled her reaction heartache. She needed to get away from this house with her happily reunited friends and get distracted. Work was always perfect for that task, but for some reason, it didn't hold any appeal at that moment. Muggle London always worked. She would take the Tube and lose herself at the National Gallery or Westminster Cathedral. There were literally thousands of options available in the Muggle world. She could always go to Oxford Street and pretend to be Lav and Pav, and complete a fashion report: what's new in Muggle fashion? That's what she would do. She would pretend to be someone she was not. Maybe then the ache would go away.

***

Hermione arrived back at the flat in the early evening, after determining what time was too late to be roped into dinner plans. Luna and Ron were canoodling on the couch when she arrived.

"Eww! Get a room!" she mimicked the voice of an eight-year old as she entered.

"Hermione! You're back!" Luna cried and rushed to give her friend a tight hug. "I saw your things in your room, but where have you been? I missed you!"

Hermione and Ron exchanged greetings and hugs as Hermione answered Luna's query.

"Uh, you two were a bit occupied when I arrived, so I thought I'd give you some privacy," she replied as the two lovers flushed.

Luna hung her head and Ron turned red, nearly matching his hair.

"Sorry! I don't suppose we set the Silencing charm, did we?" asked Luna.

"Or had the door closed," Ron mumbled.

"Correct. I was considering Obliviating myself so I needn't know about the mole on Ron's back. Can we change topics now?" Hermione begged. The lovers held hands and laughed.

Ron suddenly grew serious. "Hermione, I already apologised to Luna, but I wanted to apologise to you for what I did to Luna."

Hermione shook her head for him to stop talking. "If Luna accepts you back, I will, too. If you treat her poorly, I know several Bulgarian hexes that are untraceable."

Ron shuddered and Luna laughed. "We all know that we need to be on Hermione's good side because she is the Hex Queen of our house."

They moved to include Hermione on the couch.

"We're going to Seamus'. You must come along," said Luna.

"Oh, but I've already eaten-" Hermione started.

"Who eats at Seamus'? I prefer the butterbeers myself," Ron replied.

"And we want to hear all about your trip. How are the werewolves treated? And how can you turn the rest of England into Appley?" Luna asked, as she tucked Hermione's hand under her arm. Hermione was always grateful for Luna understanding the importance of her work.

"I'll answer that, but let's not talk work right now. I just want to enjoy being home again," Hermione replied.

"I'm glad you consider yourself at home," Luna smiled.

Hermione hugged them both. "I'm just so glad to be home!"

Luna detected something beneath Hermione's words but had no time to question her when the doorbell rang. Hermione startled.

"Who?" she asked.

"Harry's joining us!" Ron replied as he moved to open the door for his friend.

Hermione did not know it was possible to be both hot and cold at the same time, but she did. And it only got worse when she saw the tall, handsome, messy-haired Auror in the doorway, looking at her probably the same way she was looking at him. "Oh, gods," she breathed.

"Merlin," Harry whispered.

Their reactions were not lost on their friends. Luna and Ron exchanged quick looks, then went into action. Ron clapped an arm around Harry, bringing him into the room before Harry could consider bolting back out again.

"Look who's here! Hermione's back from her trip. What a nice surprise, eh? She can tell us all about her trip over a pint," said Ron

Both Harry and Hermione's eyes grew large.

"I-I was just saying I'd rather not discuss work and catch up with what you two-three-you lot have been up to," Hermione improvised quickly. She had to let Harry know what she knew about the reconciliation of their friends. "Luna told me that Ron came back. I'm so happy to see them together again."

That was reason enough for Luna and Ron to forget about the others in the room, and grab each other for a kiss. Their happiness glowed from their skin, and Hermione felt the ache in her chest again. Her eyes met Harry's; his look was indefinable. Very tense, but she could not tell if it was due to anger, fear or loneliness.

Knowing the couple was occupied and not looking at her, Hermione swallowed the lump in her throat and mouthed "thank you" to Harry. He nodded then turned to focus his attention on the knick knacks over the mantel.

At the pub, Harry and Hermione found themselves seated together. It was difficult not to, with only the four in their party and the lovers obviously seated together. Hermione was happy for Luna, but felt guilty that Luna's happiness only deepened the depression in herself.

They were a quiet group, Luna and Ron kept kissing and holding each other, then would stop suddenly, realising they were not alone, and try to engage the others in conversation.

Hermione sat next to Harry, leaning away, trying to avoid the tension she felt rising between them. Her body was responding to the close proximity of his in a way familiar, yet unfamiliar to her. She had responded to her first lover, Laurent, that way, and Draco used to give her those chills, but with Harry, the dial was set to eleven (to reference the Muggle mockumentary, Spinal Tap). Once again she wondered why life was so cruel to have her not respond to the perfect Viktor that way. He loved her; he'd marry her regardless of her friends and Muggle birth. True, she had hated being the focus of so many tabloids, dating one of the greatest Quidditch players this generation, but wouldn't life be easier if her heart followed her reason?

Harry noticed Hermione had barely drunk her butterbeer and instead ripped the cocktail napkin into precise ribbons. She rarely looked at him, and yet he couldn't stop looking at her. She hates me, he thought. She really hates me. And I probably deserve it.

He hadn't told Ron that he saw Hermione in Appley, and certainly not that he had fallen in love with her there. They had discussed Auror work or Ron's newfound happiness. He wasn't sure if Hermione had mentioned him at all, but from the looks of it, he guessed not.

"Are you going to the Burrow on Sunday?" Harry asked her.

She looked surprised, then shook her head. "I really should, it's been a while. I'd love to see Fleur and Bill again especially, but I thought I might take an international Portkey and see my parents and grandparents. It's really been too long."

Harry nodded, disappointed.

"Harry, don't you have some work in France?" Ron asked. "Kingsley mentioned a possible Death Eater connection to some activity there?"

"That was supposed to be confidential, Ron," Harry whispered loudly.

"Oops. Too much butterbeer," Ron shrugged his shoulders in response but appeared too happy to be concerned.

Harry frowned. Ron usually had more discretion than that. He also did not want to follow Hermione to France. No, scratch that. He did want to follow her to France. He wanted to meet her parents and grandparents, to learn everything about her. He wanted to see her childhood home, her primary school, learn about her life at Beauxbatons. He even wanted to know about her relationship with Viktor Krum-especially that. A flame of jealousy formed even with that passing thought.

"Won't you tell us anything about your trip, Hermione? How are the wolves treated in Appley? Did you meet anyone interesting?" Ron asked.

"I'd rather not talk shop at the moment, because I'm still processing it all, but there's tremendous potential that the rights they have in Appley could be applied to the rest of Britain. It's not a continental solution but a truly British one, and I think we can sell some base regulations to the Wizengamot in a few months."

Hermione questioned herself for adding the next part, but she did so, still ignoring Harry's gaze:


"And yes, I met someone interesting. I met another Auror, Kyle Reilly, there. He was there with his partner, Hank Pilsner."

Ron chuckled. "Reilly! He's quite the player. Leaves hearts broken in every port, that one."

Luna reached over and grabbed her hand, whispering loudly, "Is that what happened to you? Because I know something did. You've changed."

Hermione felt Harry staring at her intensely as she snatched her hand away from Luna's. "I'm sorry; I can't talk about it now. I'm still trying to understand it all myself, but it's not Reilly."

Harry couldn't stop himself, but he had to know her thoughts, so he entered into the conversation. "I know Hank Pilsner, good fellow. From America, right?"

"So he said."

"Were hearts broken then? Because you're exactly his type," Harry said.

Hermione was sure her heart stopped beating.

"Gods, Hermione, you've gone pale. Are you sick? Are there special wolf-y diseases you've been exposed to?" Ron queried.

"No, I'm … what were we talking about? No, actually, can we change the topic? Ron, Luna, you're going to the Burrow, aren't you?" Hermione stammered, ignoring Harry's intense stare as she turned bright red.

"Of course. Harry?" Luna answered for both of them.

"Yes, I thought I'd bring Teddy. I don't see him enough, and Molly was asking about him."

"Teddy?" Hermione was intrigued. Was he a classmate?

"My godson."

"Teddy's the son of two Aurors who were killed at the final battle," Luna explained.

Hermione shivered, faded memories were emerging from secret hideaways of her mind. "Oh no."

"You're cold?" Harry moved to put his jacket over her shoulders, but she shook it off, uncomfortable with the close contact.

"Tell me about Teddy," she asked softly, staring at Harry's butterbeer, avoiding his eyes.

"He's the son of Tonks and Remus Lupin. Remus was the best Defence Against the Dark Arts professor we ever had. He was also a werewolf, so he was dismissed," Harry explained.

"That's why your work is so important to us, Hermione. I'm not sure if we ever told you that part," Luna added.

"Well no …"

"Teddy was born just before the final battle. Remus wanted Tonks to stay home, but she wouldn't do it. They both died that night."

"Oh no!"

"I was asked to be his godfather. I was only eighteen. He's actually being raised by his grandmother, but I'm trying to do my part and give him a father figure," Harry continued.

"Teddy's a Metamorphmagos. You should see him! How old is he, seven or eight? You can tell his moods, his hair changes colour. When it's purple, he's happy and when it's red, watch out!" Ron added.

"Too bad we can't say the same to you, Weasley," joked Harry.

"And he can imitate people, animals. He does a lovely miniature Harry, complete with glasses and scar," Luna continued.

Hermione felt a sudden burst of longing which unnerved her. And then she understood why. She turned to Harry, eyes wide with empathy. "That must make you quite proud."

Harry blinked, as if she could read his thoughts. "Being raised an orphan by the Dursleys, I always wanted a family. Teddy is my way of doing something about that. Hopefully practice for the real thing, maybe, one day."

"You'd be a wonderful father," Hermione whispered. She felt his aching loneliness and desire for a true family. She shuddered, wondering why she suddenly felt telepathic. She turned away from Harry and studied her butterbeer with renewed interest.

Luna and Ron looked between the two, then looked at each other. Ron stood up. "How about another round? Luna, can you help me carry the drinks?" Ron and Luna left before the two could even answer.

"That was more than a bit obvious," Harry noted when they were alone. Hermione smiled.

"They could have put up sign: `These two need to be alone'," Hermione answered.

"I'm sure Weasley's Wizard Wheezes has some, half price for friends and family," Harry joked. "Do we need to talk?" Harry asked abruptly.

"I got your letter. Thank you," Hermione said simply, once again staring at his butterbeer, not at Harry.

"It was posted in the Daily Prophet yesterday," Harry replied. "I'm doing a full interview with the Quibbler."

"No, I meant the other letter. Thank you. Thank you for bringing Luna and Ron together."

Harry shifted uncomfortably. "It was the least I could do since I drove them apart."

"You meant well."

"The road to hell is paved with …"

"No, not that. You were looking out for a friend. I'm not without fault myself."

"I gave my best friend and your best friend heartbreak."

"I've been pretty stupid myself sometimes," Hermione added quietly.

"You? The brightest witch in France and now Britain?" Harry teased.

"I'm only book smart, as I am learning day by day."

The words hung in the air as the other two returned with the drinks.

The tension had broken a bit by the time Ron and Luna returned with four butterbeers (which Hermione accepted, even though she had not finished her first drink). There was still electricity between Harry and Hermione; a pull, an acute awareness that made Hermione quiet and kept Harry staring at her when he had hoped no one noticed. But the other two noticed. They also noticed Harry tense up when Cormac came by to welcome Hermione back from her trip. They noticed how Harry gripped the edge of the table and glare when Hermione stood up to give Cormac a hug, especially when Cormac seemed to hold onto the hug a bit longer and tighter than expected. Glances were exchanged between Ron and Luna, and they knew they had a topic for their pillow talk.

***

Luna tried to get Hermione to talk for the next few days, but her friend was resistant. "I'm not ready yet," she'd respond, and continue with what she was doing.

"Sweetie, I think something big happened to you, and you need your friends now. I want to help," Luna started. Hermione continued with rearranging her closet.

"Believe me, you'll know when I'm ready. I shall dump on you like a thousand buckets. But right now, I can't talk. I … I'm not sure how I feel about things. I'm realising I was quite wrong about something, and now I'm questioning every decision, every judgment I ever made. Have I been so arrogant in believing all the crap that's been said about me being `the brightest witch of her age' that I have become so egotistical that I just make rash judgments and assume they're facts just because I think so?" Hermione sat on her bed and twisted a blouse between her fingers. "I've made such a jumble of things that I think I'm simply ridiculous, and shouldn't be doing my job. Someone with some common sense and not just book sense should be there."

Luna sat next to her and rubbed her back. "Don't you think that Scamander and Shacklebolt would see through you if you were as horrid as you think? Won't you give me some credit and think I would see through you if you were so brash and egotistical? You've befriended everyone with your intelligence and your sense of fairness. If you were some egocentric snob as you seem to think you are at the moment, you wouldn't be here now. I'd find a way to boot you out of the house. And you wouldn't have so many friends, and your workplace wouldn't act as if you walk on water. So, what is the thing you made a dreadful judgement about?"

Hermione let out a cry and flung herself on her back. "Harry!" she cried.

Luna lay on her side next to her. The answer was expected. "What about Harry?"

"I thought he was a prideful arrogant sod. I believed Draco's lies about him. I realise I had wanted to believe that crap about him. But I know I was wrong."

"Do you mean from the letters to the editor he's writing on your behalf? You should be flattered, Harry rarely calls attention to himself or gets involved in anything political, but he's going out on a limb for your cause. I think it's due to Dobby and Remus and others."

Hermione sat up. "You're right. It's not just for me. Gods, I've such a big head! Thinking the world revolves around me!" She suddenly took out her blouse and folded in neatly, entering the closet again and continued with her task. "Why am I thinking he would do anything special for me? He's got an obligation for an old friend. Loyalty, that's it."

Then why did he say he loved you? Hermione's mind asked. Her hands started twisting the trousers that she already held, ignoring Luna's observant eyes. "I need to focus on my work." Hermione returned to her fail safe response to any situation. "Maybe I'll owl Viktor. I haven't seen him for a while. I could use a holiday."

"Using Viktor as a distraction is not fair to him, knowing how he feels about you," Luna said in a harsh-for-Luna tone. Hermione looked up guiltily.

"I know! Gods, I'm making another mess of things! I heard he's telling everyone that we're getting married in eight years. What a fuckup I am." Hermione fell on the bed again and buried her head in her clothes.

Luna sat down again and rubbed her back. "Something happened with Harry." It was a statement, not a query.

"He loves me!" Hermione cried out, then burst into tears.

"And that's a bad thing?" Luna asked, puzzled.

"And I hated him! I was so wrong! I've been wrong about so many things, I'm a fool!"

"Let's focus on one thing at a time. How do you feel about him?"

"That's it, I don't know! I used to hate him, now I don't know! I know I like Hank Pilsner, that was his glamour. I'm a fool!"

"You're anything but a fool, Hermione Granger. Maybe an over analyzer."

Hermione sniffled. Luna was correct in that. Her left brain was considering the statement.

"But what should I do? Let me think …. I first disliked Harry when I met him, and he was so rude at that party, then he snubbed me on the dance floor. He started being nicer to me the next day at Seamus', I really should have given him a chance then, but I remembered the snub and I remembered overhearing him saying that I wasn't particularly attractive. That's it! I thought with my ego! My pride was wounded, and I ignored any further clues that perhaps Harry just had a bad day when we met. I only sought out things to support my prior hypothesis: that Harry was a prat. I ignored all the good things like how you would defend him for starters; I should know that you are an excellent judge of character. I ignored how he stayed by your side when you were at St Mungo's, and how he is so loyal to Ron. I ignored how he always supported me at work. I really must stop jumping to conclusions, and be open to differing opinions, and not be absolute in my beliefs."

Hermione sat up, a smile broadening her face. It was the happiest Luna had seen her in days. She started straightening her closet again, with greater focus and speed than before.

"I feel like myself again. Better than myself! I need to be open minded and accepting of differing opinions. Luna, can you help me do this? Can you let me know straight away if I fall back on my old ways?"

Luna gave her a hug in reply. "Of course. Now, I think you should test that theory and go with us this weekend. Ron and I are joining Harry when he visits his godson. You can put your words into practice."

"Oh, I'd love to, but I really must go to France. I miss my parents and I miss France, it's been too too long. Oh, and the food!" Hermione smacked her lips. "Mon Dieu, c'est magnifique! Le pain, the bread is so good! I cannot describe how wonderful a simple loaf of bread can become manna of the gods, but it is. Maw!" She smacked her lips again as Luna laughed.

"Another time then. I want you to test this theory."

"Of course. I think we'll have plenty of time."

Luna smiled.

***

Please review!

Next chapter: Harry and Hermione get to know each other.

A/N: thanks for the reviews! Sorry if I haven't replied to them all, Real Life is an overscheduled mess at the moment. But I do appreciate each and every one of them.

And welcome to those who usually don't ship HHr, but the movie opened their minds ;-)

-->