Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magic and Misperceptions by addisonj
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magic and Misperceptions

addisonj

Magic and Misperceptions

Chapter 19: The Press and Wickham

By addisonj

Beta: DeeMichelle

Disclaimer: The following story is based on situations and characters owned by J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, and their publishers.

A/N: Wickham returns.

"Potter, huh?"

Hermione was in the Ministry cafeteria three days after her wonderful weekend with Harry. She was busy-not working one weekend would do that to one's to do list-but blissfully happy. Her co-workers noticed but didn't comment on her new habit of humming anytime and anywhere: whilst reading reports or simply walking through the hallways. Her blissful mood came to a halt when she noticed who was standing next to her in the queue.

Draco Malfoy. She was certain he had been avoiding her since Ron held the ball for Luna's safe return, and for that she was grateful. As much as Hermione did not avoid confrontation, she did not welcome it either. And the fact that she had ignored her own best instincts and the opinion of her friends to listen to Draco's lies about Harry… well, it was now water under the bridge but Hermione Granger did not forget.

"Yes, Draco, what about Harry? Cat got your tongue? Come to apologise for slandering my boyfriend?" she drawled, echoing the vocal tones Draco often used when disparaging others.

"Making your way through celebrities, Granger? Doesn't seem like your modus operandi, but then I did hear Oliver Wood likes brunettes."

"Upset that you're not his type, Malfoy?"

Draco sneered and moved away. "I did assume you had better taste, thought you'd appreciate someone with intelligence, not just amazingly good luck."

"Malfoy, I could litter an owl's cage with all the misinformation you fed me. You're lucky I don't hex you back to Malfoy Manor."

"Promises, promises, Granger," said Draco as he walked away, but Hermione had a feeling that it wasn't over yet.

***

"Look at this one, Hermione! Your hair doesn't look so bushy there!"

"But my arse is huge! Who are these photographers? Why do they only publish photos with Harry looking wonderful while I look like an ogre?"

Luna, Parvati, Lavender and Hermione were sitting around their kitchen table comparing articles in the Daily Prophet and Witch Weekly about the wizarding world's most eligible bachelor being off the market. Headlines proclaiming "The Chosen One has Chosen" and "The Boy Who Loves" with photos obviously taken whilst the couple was unawares, taking stolen kisses. One photo was even in Hyde Park.

"Since when does the Daily Prophet send reporters into Muggle London?" Hermione asked. It particularly infuriated her that it included Teddy. She always thought that children should be off limits to celebrity paparazzi, but that rule did not seem to apply in the wizarding world.

"Oh look! This article actually did some research. There are timelines comparing Harry's love life to yours. My goodness, Harry gets around! They even interviewed some witches in Australia and Singapore. I think there's even a Muggle in here, Harry dated her a couple times in New Zealand," Luna said.

"Let me see that," Hermione grabbed the paper and scanned the article. "Oh! Once again they just focus on Viktor and Harry, and assume I'm a fame seeker. Why don't they realise that personalities matter as well?"

"Are you going to write a letter to complain?" Lavender asked eagerly, crunching her toast.

"No, it'll just make it all the worse. No matter what I said, they'd twist and spin it, and it'd just prolong this agony. Nope, won't do it," Hermione responded with finality and pushed the paper aside. Parvati grabbed it.

"Look, it says they tried to interview Viktor before a game and he only said `no comment'. They lost the match," Parvati said.

Hermione's eyes widened and she took a drink of her pumpkin juice. She hadn't heard from Viktor at all. She knew she should have told him before the media circus hit; it would make sense for it to come from her. And she did write him, a quick note about what was happening in her life and happened to mention dating Harry, but he never responded. She sighed, wishing she was a better friend to him.

"Look at all these models Harry dated, and Ginny. You're not his type," Lavender stated, scanning the photo spread of tall thin models who appeared on Harry's arm over the years. Then there was a picture of Hermione leaving work in her Ministry robes, lack of makeup, and obviously tired and tense after a long day.

"See? They find the worst photo of me. I look like the tomboy sidekick," grumbled Hermione. "Oh gods, all of Harry's ex's have straight hair!"

"Oh look! They quoted Draco! He says you came on to him last fall," Parvati added.

Hermione snatched the newspaper from Parvati's hands. "That's a lie!"

"There are numerous sources stating they saw you two spending lunches together at the Ministry."

"Since when is lunch a date? And we've been avoiding each other for months now. Argh! This is maddening. See? They twist the facts to form whatever so-called `truth' they want!" Hermione was tempted to incinerate the paper, but knew her flatmates would just find another one. And she should be aware of what types of lies were being spread about her.

"Oy! Cormac's in here! He said he knew you only went for celebrities when you stopped dating him for no reason. He says you were obviously setting your sights much higher," Lavender read.

"That prat!" stormed Hermione. "I stopped dating him because he was an egocentric wanker. Oh! Damn him! Where's my wand? He needs to be hexed!"

"Calm down, he's not worth it. If you hexed him, the press would have a field day with that," advised Luna. "Oh look, they tried to interview Laurent, but he refused to answer questions as well. You've got a few good guys in your corner, dear."

Laurent. Her first love. Hermione looked at the photo. He hadn't aged much. He was standing next to a bookish yet beautiful blonde.

"That's his fiancée, Monique Gauthier. She runs-"

"The largest wizarding bookstore in Paris, yes, I know her. We were all friends. I had no idea they were engaged, or that they were even dating," Hermione completed Luna's sentence wistfully. She frowned, stood up and started pacing. "I think, I think I need to go for a walk."

"Why don't you Apparate to Harry's? I'm sure he'd love to see you," suggested Luna.

"Yes, mmm, maybe later. I think I'll see if Fleur is up and about." Hermione threw some powder in the fireplace and Bill's head appeared.

"Hermione! We were just talking about you! The press is rubbish, don't worry. Do you want to talk to Fleur?"

"Yes, mind if I come over for a bit?" Hermione asked.

"You're always welcome. Come along."

"If Harry comes by, I'll let him know where you are," Luna said unnecessarily as Hermione entered the fireplace.

"Thanks, chère," she responded as she disappeared in the green smoke.

"I know, I know! They make you look horrible! But you must fight back! We can give you a makeover," Fleur suggested after Hermione settled in with a cup of tea.

"No, I'm not going to not be true to myself if I do that. I'm just upset that my friends are being hounded as well."

"You mean Viktor et Laurent, oui? I saw that article. At least they didn't talk."

"How is Laurent? Have you talked to him or his brother lately? Wasn't Philippe your year?"asked Hermione.

"Yes, I heard about the engagement. Did he not tell you? Did you two stop writing?"

Hermione ignored the obvious question. "I haven't been writing as often as I should…"

"You two were never right for each other. Oh, you were right, but not perfect. One day, each of you would have found someone else, and you would be happier elsewhere, non? You were a good couple, but not crazy love, oui? Not forever love?"

Hermione took a sip of tea. "I should be getting back."

"Wait, wait. Let me at least loan you some robes. You hide your figure too much, ma cherie."

"Oh! It's obvious I'm not a model and never will be!"

"Yes, but you have assets they are not aware of. And they are not all just your brains. Use the Quibbler. Show the wizarding world the other side of Hermione Granger. I'm sure Luna would help."

"Yes, I hate to abuse our friendship-"

"Pshaw! That is what friends do. She can write a disclaimer that she's known you for ten years, but because she's known you for ten years she feels compelled to write. Call it the Opinion page, but then she can be sure to have only beautiful photos of you on the News page. Oui? No ethics are compromised then."

As Hermione pondered Fleur's suggestion, there was a loud popping sound and Harry appeared.

"Oh, Hermione! There you are! I've been looking, oh, hello Fleur! Sorry to drop in and all, gods, what a day! Hermione, I must speak to you," Harry rushed his words while holding a parchment.

"Harry, have a seat. What is the rush?" Fleur asked.

"Harry, is everything all right?" Hermione asked, concerned.

"Yes, no, well, I've read those article and, gods Hermione, I have to do something. I hate the press! They thought I was delusional fifth year and now they're attacking my girlfriend."

Hermione got out of her seat and held onto Harry's agitated hands. She was upset, but did not want him to see her distress and have it feed his own.

"Harry, this will all blow over. Once someone else has a scandal or whatever, this will be forgotten. Must be a slow news day."

Harry appeared to weigh her words, but then he held up the parchment. "I've written a rebuttal."

"Oh, Harry!" cried Hermione.

"Mon dieu!" added Fleur.

"You really don't need to do that. I don't think it will help, it'll likely do the opposite," Hermione added carefully, trying to keep her feelings of alarm in check.

"But you don't understand, I must do something. I can't have them paint you as some fame seeking nothing. And to hint that I deserve better? And that some shallow ideal of beauty is better? Hermione, you're so much more than any of those other girls. I want the world to know that."

Hermione could see the earnestness, the determination in every look, every move, and every wordfrom Harry. She knew he did have to do something, that he could not sit still when a friend was slighted. She understood that, it was the same motivation that led her work for magical beings.

"Harry, I understand what you're doing and why. And I really appreciate it, I truly do. But is it needed? It won't change how we feel about each other, and it won't matter to our true friends."

"Will you at least read it?" Harry asked with a puppy dog look. Hermione could not say no.

Several revisions later, they arrived at the compromise text.

And the next day Harry's response was published in the Daily Prophet. And the paper responded with its own opinion piece.

"They think you put Potter under an Imperius curse, that's why he wrote the pro-house-elves letter months ago," Scamander said as he arrived in Hermione's office.

It was early morning, but Hermione was already in her office, head in hands.

"I know," she wailed. "This is bloody ridiculous! When I dated Viktor, it was all about my looks, I understand that. But to attack my work? And to indirectly attack this department's work and the new direction of the Ministry? Merde!"

As Hermione had her head in her hands and Scamander was shaking the newspaper, Shacklebolt burst into the office. "This is bullshit. I don't get involved in the personal lives of my employees, but this stops now."

"I am so sorry! I had no idea dating Harry would jeopardise our work in any way," Hermione said. "This is insane. They're connecting dots that don't exist. There is no causality here and I did not do an Unforgivable on Harry!"

Shacklebolt settled himself on one of the office chairs. "We need a strong offensive, make a strong statement that this ends here and now."

"Some friends of mine suggested a group letter, but I don't want any more of my friends being dragged into this. Bad enough they're interviewing ex-boyfriends. This really is appalling," Hermione added. She then took a deep breath, and sat upright. "Okay. Let's take care of this. Luna Lovegood from the Quibbler is my best friend and flatmate. She already offered her paper's services. I'm thinking of giving them an exclusive of something … something to take eyes away from the Daily Prophet and onto the Quibbler."

"I'm thinking of a measured Ministry response. I don't want to be involved because it's already blown out of proportion, but I can have a trusted third party write and assure everyone that Harry is acting of his own volition. And that the Ministry supports your work, not just lovesick young men." Shacklebolt winked at Hermione for that last comment.

"A neutral third party…hmmm…" Hermione thought aloud.

"Montgomery!" Hermione and Shacklebolt said at the same time.

Shacklebolt found an intern wandering down the hall. "Winterbloom! Get Lionel Montgomery here, please."

"We'll need Harry, too; I want him to know what's going on." Hermione was about to tell the intern to contact Harry, when she suddenly said, "Bugger this!" and pulled out her cell phone, to Shacklebolt and Scamander's surprise.

"Harry? It's me. Can you come to my office? Yes, it's all rubbish. Shacklebolt and Scamander are here and we're getting Montgomery. You're already at work? You see him? Can you have him come down? Lovely. Thanks much. See you in a jiffy," Hermione spoke into the phone, then looked at the surprised looks of the two men. "What? Some Muggle things are quite efficient."

"Is that the latest model?" Shacklebolt asked, reaching his hand over to examine.

"Yes, it's got tons of apps. Reception is still spotty here especially, but this network's the strongest," Hermione explained as she handed her mobile over to the Minister's examination.

"Is that a telephony-thingy? It's so small. They've changed since I last saw one," Scamander said, looking over Shacklebolt's shoulder. "My goodness!"

Montgomery and Harry arrived shortly thereafter while Hermione was still showing the other two wizards her favourite smart phone apps; Montgomery was looking concerned but Harry was livid. He exchanged glances with Hermione as she made sure to remain in her seat behind her desk; holding back her desire to cross the room and embrace him.

Montgomery sat in the last remaining chair in the room as Harry stood, leaning against the doorframe. "Well, you two got yourselves into a pickle! Already told Harry posting a rebuttal was a waste."

Hermione and Harry exchanged looks, his contrite, hers understanding.

"Montgomery, we need a neutral third party to put this to rest. Explain how Harry has absolutely no signs of an Imperius curse, the mere thought of which should not be taken lightly, and that all departments here support the work being done in the Department of Magical Creatures, and that's that. No personal comments on their relationship at all. Not even a hint of it. Hermione, what are you doing?" Shacklebolt noticed Hermione writing at her desk. She handed him the parchment.

"I just quick Quilled it. Find someone in marketing to edit it once you all review. I'd suggest we review it one last time before Montgomery owls it to the paper. Harry, I think Luna wants to do an exclusive interview with you about all this," Hermione said.

"Yes, something about how you saved the wizarding world, just want some privacy now, and please don't focus on external factors of beauty for true beauty comes from within," added Montgomery drily.

"Says the wizard with the witch half his age," joked Shacklebolt. Hermione forced herself to keep her features even.

"Ten years difference. No cradle was robbed," Montgomery retorted.

"I think I should stay out of this; I don't want the emphasis to come back to me," Hermione redirected the conversation to the original topic. "However, Luna agreed to post some more … favourable photos of me."

"Gods, who found those dreadful pics of you before? That was obviously biased," Scamander added.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "As much as I'd love to sit here and discuss my personal appearance, I think we're done? Sorry, but I really just wish to forget all about this and get on with my real work."

The men took the clue and stood to leave, each in turn commenting on the nasty turn of events and how they'll take care of things, until just Harry was left.

He shut the door to her office, placed a silencing charm and crossed the room in few steps. Hermione met him halfway.

They were suddenly shy. "Hi," she said.

"Hi," he responded. He watched her resolve crumble and he took her in his arms. "I am so sorry I'm such an idiot. You tried to warn me."

"What's done is done. This will be salvaged. How are you doing? Are photographers hounding you? Rita Skeeter working on getting an exclusive?"

"Sometimes I wonder if they're pushing all my buttons just to force me to do an exclusive with her." He grimaced. "Vile woman." He kissed the top of her head, then, placing a finger under her chin and lifting it, he placed a lingering kiss on her mouth.

"I missed this. I missed you last night," he breathed.

Hermione was feeling her insides warm up and tried to remember she was at work with only a door between them and the rest of her department. She looked into his gorgeous green eyes and smiled. "We'll make up for it tonight then."

"Promise?"

She nodded and he kissed her again.

"We'll need to use more backdoors and Apparate more often in the next few days."

"Until some sort of scandal breaks and the press find something else to bother themselves with."

***

The fates conspired to get the Harry-Hermione story out of the headlines.

The two couples were having a quiet evening at Grimmauld Place when Molly Weasley's voice came through the fireplace.

"Ron! Come home now! There's been a catastrophe!"

Words of that sort to an Auror means Death Eaters, so Ron and Harry grabbed their wands and immediately went to the fireplace while Luna and Hermione followed shortly thereafter.

The Burrow was a hub of activity. Arthur, George, Charlie, and Bill were pacing as Molly sat in a chair and moaned, "My little girl!" Angelina, Fleur and her daughters were trying to comfort their mother-in-law. Hermione looked about to see who was missing. Ginny.

"He kidnapped her!" wailed Molly. Hermione rushed to the group of women, ignoring an inner voice asking if she should even be present when there was a Weasley family crisis. She wasn't part of their family, but she was close to some members of it, and was always accepted at family functions. Arthur and Molly were becoming loco parentis to her, and if there was anything she could do to help, she would.

"What happened?" Hermione asked Fleur in a whisper.

"Ginny sent a note that she ran off with Draco," Angelina answered.

"Bloody hell!" Luna exclaimed. Everyone looked surprised that the young Ravenclaw knew such language.

"By `run off', was this voluntary?" Hermione asked.

"No! My baby would not go off with that, that villain!" exclaimed Molly between sobs. "Why? Why?"

Hermione took Angelina's elbow and distanced them a bit from the rest.

"Angelina, you're closest to Ginny. Is this possible? I don't think I ever saw them together," inquired Hermione.

"If you ask me, there was always a bit of attraction there. You never noticed?" asked Luna,who followed.

"I don't think I even saw them in the same room," said Hermione.

"At the ball Ron had a few months ago, didn't you see them dance together? They only had eyes for each other."

Hermione tried to recall that ball, but unpleasant memories of Draco standing too close to her came up. She looked over at Harry and Ron who appeared to be getting a debriefing from a distraught Arthur Weasley. They exchanged glances and Hermione walked quickly to his side.

"She's with Draco," Hermione said.

"I heard," was Harry's equally terse response.

"Did you know they were seeing each other? Is this as much of a surprise to you as it seems to be to the others, except Luna?"

"My sister would have nothing to do with that … that ferret!" exclaimed Ron.

"What's the note say?" Hermione redirected the conversation to less subjective course.

Arthur sadly handed Hermione the short parchment.

Dear Mum and Dad,

I've decided to run away with Draco. I love him and he loves me. Don't look for us.

Love,

Ginny

Hermione handed it back. "Any thought of Imperius?" she asked.

"How would we know for sure unless we saw her?" Bill responded. "Let's focus on reason. What's in it for Draco? Assuming Ginny is lovesick and doing this, would Draco be conning her for his own reasons? If so, why?"

"You mean, follow the money?" Harry asked.

"Ginny hasn't a lot of money. If he was after money, there are lots of single witches who are wealthier," George said.

"Okay, if it isn't money, what else would he be after? Revenge? Prestige? Reputation? Deliverance?" Bill asked.

"Money, sex and power. Those are the prime motivators of human behaviour," Hermione added.

Arthur grimaced at the word `sex' and Molly wailed. Hermione mouthed `sorry'.

"Okay, well, can we trace them somehow? Can we find out where they are? It might be easiest just to ask them why," George asked.

"Wait, just to be sure, we know this is her handwriting?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I performed a spell on it already. It's hers," Bill advised.

"How did you receive it? Did she drop it off? Was it owled?" asked Hermione.

"Owl," replied Arthur wearily. He ran his fingers through his thinning hair, shoulders slumped. "The owl came during tea."

"Well, you're the Aurors, any suggestions?" asked George snarkily.

"We could put out a bulletin asking if anyone has seen them. We can check the usual places, Malfoy Manor, his flat in town, check with her other friends , her co-workers. Let me alert the Ministry, we can say it's a suspected kidnapping. We can put the word out as well to Draco through his associates that he needs to come out with Ginny and assure us that there's no harm done, that this isn't a kidnapping, or it'll all be much worse for him," Harry advised.

"Let's get to the Ministry then. We don't have a moment to lose," Ron said.

He and Harry were headed for the Floo when Hermione grabbed her bag and said, "I'm going with you."

Harry stopped and looked at her. "Hermione-"

"Harry look around, I can't do any good here. I think I can help more at the Ministry," Hermione said.

The Weasleys looked at Hermione, then looked around the room. "You know, I think she's right," Arthur said. "I think we have enough people sitting about worrying."

"I mean, I could stay and help Luna with the children…" Hermione started.

"Hermione, thank you, but I can handle the children. You go help at the Ministry," Luna said.

Hermione looked at both Molly and Arthur who nodded. "Okay," she said. "We will find them."

At the Ministry, Ron and Harry explained the circumstances to Montgomery, who offered the Ministry's services. Hermione worked with the Department of International Cooperation to learn if any International Portkeys had been used by Malfoy and Ginny. Ron contacted Aurors around the country and Harry investigated possible leads.

It was the wee hours of the morning when Harry approached Hermione with a cup of coffee (no sugar). She was lying on a couch in his office, taking a short nap while waiting to hear back from some of the Asian ministries.

"I'm awake! I'm awake!" she sat up quickly and nearly spilled the hot liquid. Harry cast a quick anti-spilling charm so that the coffee remained in the mug.

"Bloody hell, Hermione, it's okay to take a nap. You can go home, too. Luna came by earlier with sandwiches. You're welcome to lie in your own bed. I'll let you know if anything turns up or if we need anything from you," Harry said as he placed the mug in her hands.

Hermione put the mug on the desk and arched her back in a cat stretch. Harry tried not to stare as he remembered her nude in a similar pose.

She rubbed her eyes and gave him a small smile as she took a sip of her coffee. "Perfect, thanks. You read my mind."

"Just the way you like it," he said lightly as he tried not to think about what he would rather be doing with her in a room late at night.

"Well?" she asked after they both drank coffee in silence. "How's Ron holding up? And Molly and Arthur? It must be a terrible shock for them."

Harry took a sip of coffee before he answered, "Yeah, Ginny's their little princess, the youngest girl of six brothers. No one expected anything like this to happen."

Hermione studied how Harry refused to look her in the eye. She knew they had a history. "You know her much better than I do. What do you think? Was it kidnapping? Imperius curse? Or is the letter true?"

Harry shook his head and he looked down at his coffee. "Damned if I know. I mean, if she was in love, she'd want a huge wedding at the Burrow. This isn't her style."

"Is that what she wanted for you two?" Hermione asked quietly.

Harry's head shot up. "How did you know?"

It was Hermione's turn to look down. "I didn't know. You just told me." She had no idea why his past relationship with Ginny bothered her now. "Maybe, just maybe, if I was the youngest girl of an all-boy family. And maybe, maybe if I was going to marry the prince of the wizarding world I'd have a huge fairy tale wedding with all the stops out, rather like Princess Diana in the Muggle world. But, perhaps, if that dream fell through and I actually fell for the former prince of the dark world instead, I don't think I could face my family if I really wanted to marry him. I'd be afraid my brothers would challenge him to a duel or something, so I'd run and hide, and marry him in secret, then come back already married so it'd be much harder to undo. Just maybe," she said quietly, watching Harry's reaction.

Harry didn't say anything. He did frown slightly when she said, "prince of the wizarding world" but he seemed contemplative. Then, he sat next to her on the couch and just held her against his side as she wrapped an arm around him and rested her head on his chest.

"You didn't know Ginny at school, but she was one of the prettiest, most popular, most athletic girls there. She always had a boyfriend, and she was always brave, being part of Dumbledore's Army with us. I remember seventh year when Ron and I were looking for the Horcruxes, I would think about her at Hogwarts and miss her terribly. So when the War was over and we both survived, it was natural that our relationship would continue.

"We were boyfriend and girlfriend for years, all the way through Auror training and the year after. But, it wasn't the same then. It was easy in a way during the War, because everything was black and white. You are for the Light or for the Dark. But after, all the little stuff became more important. And the War impacted us quite differently.

"I wanted to go away, escape to the Muggle world for a while and I did, but Ron was starting Auror training and I wanted to join with him. McGonagall gave us automatic passes for our N.E.W.T.s, so we were allowed in. I'd see Ginny on weekends and, I dare say I loved her, but it was the love of a young man who was happy to be alive and thrilled that a pretty young witch was crazy about him. But, that's not enough. I didn't want the press, the attention, the awards, the parties. Ginny did. I just wanted a normal life for once. Ginny had normal, she wanted extraordinary. I'm actually a very boring bloke. If Voldemort didn't exist, I'd be just an average wizard, quite ordinary except rather good at Quidditch and duelling, but like so many other fellows, and that's fine with me. But if Ginny had her druthers, she'd be a fairy princess or something or a supermodel, but that's not the life I want."

"You certainly dated quite a lot of models, if the press is right," Hermione added under her breath.

Harry pressed a kiss to the top of her head before continued, "Did you also notice in that timeline in the paper that none of those were relationships? They were arm candy, no more, no less. I knew the paparazzi would be there and I just did the easiest thing. For people I really care about, I wouldn't let them go through that circus. I could have asked Padma or Luna or Katie, nearly any of my Hogwarts female friends, but I didn't want them to deal with the aftermath, the gossip, the speculation. So, I'd have some model go with me. Like an escort service but not necessarily including sex."

"`Not necessarily'," quoted Hermione.

Harry tilted Hermione's head towards his own and looked deeply into her eyes before kissing her softly on the lips. "I'm honest with you, Hermione, I'm not a monk. And I didn't expect you to be a nun before we met."

"Fair enough," Hermione replied once her lips were parted from Harry's.

"But Ginny is my friend. She knows me better than most. We look out for each other. We thought we were looking out for Ron but we bungled that. Badly. Oh! I wanted to tell you but it's a secret!"

Hermione sat up. "What?"

"Ron is shopping for a ring. For Luna. You absolutely cannot say anything though. It's meant to be a surprise, but he already asked her father for her hand in marriage."

Harry was not sure what Hermione's reaction would be. Positive, he was sure, but he did not expect her to nearly leap off the couch and into his lap, pulling him into a tighter embrace than they were already in.

"Gods, Harry, that's wonderful! Oh, I shall certainly keep this secret," Hermione nearly giggled with glee. "When will he ask her?"

"Soon. Well, not soon now. He was going to do it next weekend when they go to her father's home, but now…"

Hermione nodded, filling in the words in her head. Now, with Ginny and Draco missing… other things took priority.

A tip came in with daybreak. A pair matching their description had checked into a hotel in Wales. Aurors took them to the Ministry and kept them in separate holding cells.

"But he's my husband! I demand to be with him!" Harry heard Ginny's cries as he ran to the interrogation rooms.

"Shut your yob, Ginny! You have no idea what you're saying. He's put you under a spell, I'm sure of it," Ron pleaded with his sister.

"You don't understand! I love him! Didn't Dad show you the note? I want to be with him."

"You're mental, Ginny; you don't know what you're saying. Mum and Dad will be here in a sec and will take care of you."

Harry entered the room to find Ginny standing in the centre facing her youngest brother, looking beautiful and fierce. If he had any sort of romantic love for her, well, there was none, but his seventeen year old self would have been bedazzled.

"Harry, can you talk to Ron? Can you make him understand?" Ginny's voice was calmer as she addressed her former lover.

Harry took a seat, and made himself comfortable. "Understand what exactly, Ginny?"

"That I love Draco. That I married Draco. That I'm Mrs Malfoy now."

The last sentence sent Ron into a rage. He nearly lunged at his sister, but the reflexes of everyone else in the room were quicker and she deftly moved to safely.

Harry put an arm around Ron's shoulders. "Ron, mate, maybe you could wait outside for a bit. Let me handle this."

Ron gave Harry a look, glared at Ginny, and left.

With her brother gone, Ginny was noticeably calmer. She smiled at Harry, using some of her old charm. She patted her hair and smoothed her robes. "I must look like a wreck," she said.

"You were always beautiful, Ginny," Harry replied.

Her vanity satisfied, Ginny took a seat at the table across from Harry. "What do you want to know?"

And she talked. They had been seeing each other in secret since Ron and Luna got back together. It was like one of those Muggle movies, the ones where the couple starts out hating each other, but then fall madly passionately in love. She said that Draco was reformed, he renounced his dark past and only wanted to embrace the light in the future. They were both strong-willed, passionate, attention-seeking, high maintenance, high living, pleasure-seeking individuals who embraced the things Harry rejected: namely, the spotlight. For the first time in her life, she knew what love was and they found no reason to wait.

Harry listened to this, thinking of the agony that Ron, and likely the rest of the Weasleys were going through as they watched and listened through the other side of the two-way glass. He remained neutral, acting as if this was any other case, but at the end, Ginny became quiet and reached for Harry's hand.

"It would never have worked between us, I know that now. I knew you said it years ago, but I couldn't believe it, didn't want to believe it. But it seems to obvious now. I know Mum and Dad will be disappointed, my brothers will be furious and probably challenge Draco to a duel, but this is the life I want. This is my love. And I hope they eventually accept him, because I could not bear to have to choose. I don't want to go there."

He nodded slowly and said, "All right, Ginny," before rising from his chair and knocking on the door to leave. A female Auror replaced Harry in the room as he walked out to face the Weasleys, and Luna and Hermione. The tears on the faces of Arthur and Molly said enough. Even Ron stopped his belligerence, and instead leaned into Luna.

Hermione and Harry's eyes met, and she rushed into his arms. He had no idea he had been so tense listening to Ginny for the past hour, but once he was in Hermione's arms, he felt he could finally relax and be safe.

The normally boisterous family was quiet, each clinging to their spouse or partner. Harry asked where the children were and Hermione whispered that Andromeda was caring for them. Eyes were wet with tears; the prior anger fell to the beginnings of acceptance.

"And Draco? What has he said?" Harry asked. Ron just jerked his head towards the interrogation room. Harry took Hermione's hand and they walked to the two-way mirror there.

Fox and Bristol were tag teaming, doing the good cop, bad cop routine. Harry knew it well, he practically trained them.

Draco was demanding a lawyer. He was demanding to know why he was interrupted from his honeymoon. He demanded to see his wife. He demanded a lot.

He still had his superior tone, speaking as if he were above everyone else. But there was a worried undertone, especially when he spoke of his new wife.

"I need to see Ginny. I need to know that's she's unharmed. I need her!"

Bill and Fleur exchanged looks, then Fleur spoke quietly to Arthur and Molly. "She's not cursed. Ginny's doing this of her own free will."

"We can have it confirmed, but from my experience, neither one is cursed. It's real," Bill added. Arthur shuddered and Molly wept.

"Cheer up! Think of the pranks we can pull on the ferret at Christmastime," George joked. The family groaned and Angelina poked her husband.

"Stuff it, George," she muttered.

Fox left the interrogation room, and talked quietly to Ron and Harry, then Montgomery. They then spoke to the Weasleys. Hermione watched Ron's hand tighten and loosen, and Luna grab it into her own.

"We need to release them. There are no charges, there is no crime. They're certainly of age, and acted of their own volition. We tested and neither is under an Imperius curse. If we keep them any longer, I'm sure Malfoy will charge the department with abuse and we don't need that type of publicity." Montgomery looked at the tense faces of the Weasley clan. "How about we have you all meet in a private room? We'll bring Ginny to you first, then Draco. Do I need to take your wands?" Montgomery attempted a joke, but from the looks on the male Weasley faces, it was unwelcomed.

A room without a two-way mirror was found, and the family was ushered inside. Hermione stayed on the outside and watched with heavy heart as the usual boisterous family was reduced to shells of their former selves.

Luna stood outside with Hermione, but Ron wordlessly took her hand and brought her into the room with the rest of the family. Harry was unsure of his place, but Arthur said, "You're part of our family," and he entered the room as well. Hermione stayed outside, so she was the first to see Ginny escorted from the interrogation room to the more private conference room.

Their eyes met. Ginny: fierce, proud, beautiful, but fear and worry etched in her eyes. When the door to the interrogation room opened and she was released, she seemed surprised to only see Hermione in the hallway. "In there," Hermione said, and indicated the door down the hall. Ginny nodded, mouthed "thanks" and headed to the room.

Just before entering, she stopped, looked at Hermione one last time, and opened the door.

Hermione waited in the hallway. She was not sure why. She was certainly unproductive. She did not bother opening her satchel which always contained some sort of means of occupying her time: reports to be written, books to be read, research to review. Instead, she simply stood there and waited. She breathed. She looked vacantly at the wall opposite. She simply existed for those minutes, until Draco's door opened and he, scowling, glanced about the hall, his eyes resting on Hermione, scowled some more, and was escorted to the room which held his wife and family. It was then that Hermione collapsed into the chair that had always been at her side, and she closed her eyes.

"Napping, Granger?"

"Reilly. Good to see you," Hermione opened her eyes to see one of her favourite Aurors.

He handed her a take-away cup of tea.

"They're all in there? How's it going? Any shouts? Wands confiscated?"

"They're all quite well-behaved actually," Hermione admitted, taking a sip of tea, and then making a face.

"Not the way you like it?"

"Too much sugar, but thanks, I needed this."

"I'd give you a neck massage, but Potter would hex me, methinks," Reilly said with a twinkle in his eye. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Flirt."

The door opened and Harry exited. His eyes scanned for hers, and he gave her a small smile.

"You're still here?" he asked, a hint of pleasure in his tone.

"Where else would I be?" asked Hermione.

He nodded to Reilly, then took Hermione's hand, raising her from her chair, as he took the cup from her hand and gave it back to Reilly.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"Home," he said, and they Apparated to Grimmauld Place.

***

Please read and review!

Next Chapter: the last chapter (!!), our Happy Ever After, plus an appearance by Viktor Krum.

(A/N: yes, I combined Caroline Bingley and Lydia. Aren't Ginny and Draco an excellent couple?)

-->