Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magic and Misperceptions by addisonj
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magic and Misperceptions

addisonj

Magic and Misperceptions Chapter 4: Seamus' Pub

By AddisonJ

For my awesome beta, DeeMichelle

Disclaimer:

The following story is based on situations and characters owned by J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, and their publishers.

Author Note: conversation with Hermione and Harry in pub is paraphrase of Jane Austen Chpt 11 P&P when Elizabeth and Darcy discuss laughter and laughing at others. From Chpt 6 of P&P is the conversation about eavesdropping and dancing (changed to singing in this story) with Sir Lucas, Lizzy, Charlotte and Darcy; and, the conversation between Darcy and Caroline about a pair of fine eyes.

***

The Hogwarts alumni made a habit of meeting at least once a month (once a week was preferable) at Seamus' pub. It had an actual name, the Golden Snitch, but everyone just called it Seamus' pub. The street address wasn't needed either. People would say, meet you at Seamus' pub. Or, meet you at that quill shop or ice cream parlor by Seamus' pub. It worked out well for everyone.

The place was bustling by the time Parvati, Luna, Lavender and Hermione arrived. The three Hogwarts alumnae greeted nearly everyone by name, and Hermione was happy that she at least recognized about a dozen faces. The atmosphere was much better than the prior night at the Puddlemere gala when it was full of anonymous people trying to latch onto someone less anonymous than themselves. This was just full of people who knew each other, who liked each other. Even Harry Potter could not find as much fault here.

Ron and Luna found each other of course. Hermione joined Padma and Neville to chat about the prior night and comment on the goings on.

"Hermione," Padma drew the Beauxbatons witch to one side, trying to gain some privacy in the noisy crowd, "I notice that Ron is quite taken with Luna."

"Yes, he is." Hermione smiled. "Isn't that lovely? They look so good together, and she is so happy with him."

Padma frowned slightly. "Really, is she? I can't really tell."

It was Hermione's turn to frown. "Really? It seems obvious to me. I mean, Luna is her own unique person, but the fact that she's actually spending so much time with him, and is so amenable, and she's smiling …"

"Yes, but doesn't she do that for everyone?"

"Well …" Hermione began to have doubts, which she instantly shook off. If it was obvious to her, surely it was obvious to everyone else. Yet Padma still had a look of concern on her face, which Hermione felt forced to address. "Look," she began, "do you want her to wear her heart on her sleeve like Pav or Lav? Is that what a woman needs to do so you or Ron or anyone else is aware of her affections?"

"Hermione, don't get cross. I'm just saying …"

"Padma, I know you mean well, but surely Ron is mature enough to tell the difference between true affection and hero worship, and to tell if a mature woman is showing affection versus a fangirl. Well, if he can't, he doesn't deserve her."

Padma paused and viewed Hermione critically before answering. She hadn't known her as long as Luna had, but Padma considered herself a fairly good judge of a person's character, and loved her as a dear friend. But Hermione was showing traits of her characteristic arrogance - an arrogance developed from years of being told she was the greatest witch of her age, an arrogance (or prejudice) developed not consciously, but developed nonetheless to the point that she was good at hearing both sides at first, but once her mind was made up, she became quite stubborn in her resolve. Padma loved Hermione as a true friend; she was certain her friend would have been in Ravenclaw with her and Luna if she had attended Hogwarts, but the stubborn and somewhat arrogant streak was something Padma would wish lessened in her dear friend.

"Hermione, calm down. I'm just making an observation and stating my opinion. I'm looking out for Luna; that is all. I know Ron and I know Luna, and I know that, although Ron has dated quite a bit, he really doesn't know women as well as he thinks, and he and Harry are quite used to girls throwing themselves at them; Lavender being quite typical in that regard. I'm not sure he would recognize if an intelligent, mature, normal woman like Luna was falling for him."

Hermione smirked. "Would you consider Luna normal?" They laughed. "No worries, I know what you mean! And I'm sorry I snapped. I just-Luna is my friend. I don't even want to think that her heart may be broken."

Padma patted Hermione's shoulder. "I know. I'm just lucky that Neville and I found each other when we did. Now," Padma paused and scanned the room full of happy Hogwarts alumni, "we need to find someone for you!"

Hermione groaned. "No, please! I just arrived a few weeks ago. I'm busy with work, I don't need any distractions!"

"Distractions? I'm not saying you need to fall in love, and have little wizards and witches right away. Wouldn't you like to have someone to show you around town?"

"Padma, you forget that I am English! I used to live in London."

"But you've been gone so long! A lot has changed since the war. And it's a lovely excuse to meet a young wizard. Hmmm …" Padma scanned the crowd. "What is your type? I heard about Viktor Krum. You prefer the athletic, Quidditch sort? Or because of Viktor do you want nothing to do with athletes?"

"Hmmm, could I just have an athlete's body and a scholar's mind?" Hermione answered in a flirty tone.

Padma laughed. "Oh, picky, are we?"

"Well, since you insist I find someone, I only want the best, of course." Hermione laughed.

"Hmmm …" Padma scanned the crowd. "Maybe Ernie Macmillan? He was a prefect. Or maybe you want someone in the Slug Club? That'd be Cormac McLaggen or Blaise Zabini. Other than Harry Potter, of course …"

Hermione scowled at Harry's name. "No please. Not Potter. Even if he was the last man on earth …"

Padma cocked her head to the side and looked at Hermione again. "I have no idea why Harry acted that way to you last night. He's always been kind to my sister and me. I mean, he is a bit shy and standoffish, but once you get to know him …."

"I doubt I will have that pleasure."

"No, I dare say probably not at this rate. 'Tis a pity. Not only because your best friend is becoming quite friendly with his best friend, but he really is a good person. I think the two of you have quite a bit in common."

Hermione nearly spat out her butterbeer. "We have things in common? What, arrogance? Prejudice?"

"Arrogance and prejudice? Harry? Never! He is quite impulsive sometimes. But very loyal to his friends."

"'To his friends', Padma. Do you hear yourself? For those of us on the outskirts, we remain the enemy."

"Hermione, I simply cannot talk to you when you're so stubborn. You're both stubborn. But you're both loyal and bright and true friends. Pity you don't get along."

Hermione laughed into her beer. "Right. 'Tis a pity. Meanwhile, point me towards these remarkable young men you mentioned earlier …"

Across the room, Harry was observing Hermione talk to Padma. She was so … comfortable in her own skin. Unbeknown to Hermione, he had been watching her since he first entered the pub. She was busy talking amongst friends, socializing. He noticed that she didn't just go straight to the most popular, most notorious people, but spoke with people from Luna's circle, then friends of theirs. She seemed to be cordial with but avoid socializing with Parvati and Lavender's silly set. Interesting. Maybe he was wrong in his earlier appraisal of her? She had very bright, very intelligent eyes. She didn't scan the room for better prospects, once she was in conversation with someone, she really focused on them and didn't glance about the room for someone more noteworthy to speak with. He approved of how close she seemed to Padma and Neville, two really good people who Harry approved of. They lacked artifice; they were genuine, and always supportive of him. He appreciated their friendship and companionship. He was glad to see that Hermione must have a similar view of them. Not showy people, but true and genuine and loyal. And what is more important than those factors in friendship?

Harry frowned when he saw Padma steer Hermione towards a group of men that included Dean, Cormac, Ernie, and Justin Finch-Fletchley. Cormac in particular seemed quite interested in speaking with Hermione and leaned close to her, invading her personal space. He watched Hermione respond by leaning further from him and talking to Ernie. She even placed her hand on her face in a move almost designed to block Cormac from her view, or at least block his breath from her face. Harry felt this urge to move closer, in case she was in need of assistance.

In need of assistance? She's with Padma, and the rest of the blokes would take care of her, too, in case Cormac got out of hand, Harry thought to himself. What's wrong with you?

Harry was moving towards Hermione when his path was blocked by a very bored looking Ginny. "Harry, can you be a dear and get me a white wine? I can't make it to the bar. It's so busy here! And Ron is too busy chatting with Luna to pay me any mind," Ginny drawled prettily in Harry's direction.

Harry sighed. He could tell when Ginny was flirting, but he considered her a friend even before their ill-fated romance years ago. And, he was a gentleman. The lady would like a drink, and he would procure it for her. He gave her a wan smile as he proceeded to the bar, making sure to take the path closest to the group containing the sole Beauxbatons graduate.

"-and then she hexed him with canaries! Canaries!" Cormac was telling a story to the amused group.

"Better than bat bogeys. Those are just dreadful!" Hermione laughed in response

"Girls and their hexes. They're so-" Cormac almost completed that sentence but saw Hermione's raised eyebrow, daring him to insult her gender. "-so interesting! A-hem." Cormac's mates laughed at his obvious sidestepping.

"At least our hexes tend not to lead to blood," Hermione responded. "Unless they lead to emasculation, and even then we try not to have the recipient bleed, do we, Padma?" Hermione asked her friend casually as the men squirmed. Harry tried not to chuckle too loudly since he was eavesdropping, but Hermione noticed. She leaned into her friend so that her mouth was quite close to Padma's ear.

"Don't look, but Potter appears to be eavesdropping," Hermione whispered. "Let's pretend we're actually talking about him."

"No, Hermione, don't do that! Harry's quite sensitive about being laughed at," Padma responded quickly, concern etched in her features.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Really? Hmmm. 'Tis a pity, since laughing at oneself is a welcome trait in my humble opinion."

"Are you two talking about us?" Cormac interrupted the girls.

"Are your ears burning?" Hermione smiled her reply.

Cormac seemed consider that an invitation; he touched her elbow, and Hermione tried not to flinch.

"Have you seen what Seamus did to the back room? Let me show you," he said as he started to lead her away from the group.

Harry instantly made sure that his wand was at hand (of course it was) as he watched Hermione exchange glances with Padma.

"Cormac! How generous, but Seamus showed us that earlier. Lovely, isn't it? So much more space there. But here he is now! Maybe he can tell us what other redecorating he's considering?" Hermione turned to Seamus who was heading their way with handfuls of butterbeers.

"Oi! Seamus! Hand us one of those, will ya, mate?"

"Hang on! Pass these 'round while I talk to these gits. Gentlemen," Seamus paused, "and ladies," he nodded to Padma and Hermione, "we need some music. Padma, can you play a few tunes on the piano, and we need you lot to sing some school songs!"

Padma acquiesced and moved to the piano in the corner of the pub where there was a small stage (actually, a large table). Hermione was happy to be a non-participant as Padma played a few notes and Seamus shouted for quiet.

"All right you lot! And now for the musical portion of our program. We're going to play the Hogwarts school song and you're all going to sing! Ready, Padma?"

Padma nodded.

"Now, follow along!" Cormac moved to write the words of the song in the air with his wand like subtitles as the pub rang out in a loud collection of voices, some off-key, some right on key, but all enthusiastic.

Hermione leaned back and smiled. Once again, she missed the fact that she had chosen Beauxbatons over Hogwarts. No mistake, she loved her years at Beauxbatons. It was there she first learned about magic. However, when she saw the enthusiasm and camaraderie of these Hogwartians … She knew part of their enthusiasm was due to surviving the war; there was greater joie de vivre (to use a French phrase) with them because they survived, many others did not, and the prevalent feeling that they needed to take advantage of each and every day. She hated the cause, but liked their enthusiasm. Hermione, the calm, collected, reasonable one, liked being around these enthusiastic Hogwartians.

Hermione was so deep in thought that she failed to notice her name was being called from the 'stage.' "Hermione! Frenchie! You can't just stand there!" called Seamus. "Let's hear something from our Beauxbatons witch! What can you show us, luv?"

Hermione sighed and shook her head. Knowing Seamus as well as she did, she was not surprised that she was singled out. Public humiliation was always a possibility when one was in the company of a certain Mr. Finnigan.

As the crowd cheered her on, Hermione walked up to Padma who still sat at the piano. She whispered something to the dark haired witch who shook her head, then, reconsidering, whispered something else, which resulted in another shake of Padma's head. Hermione appeared to sigh heavily, then proceed to the stage.

"Excuse me!" she called out, to the loud crowd. Seamus, seeing Hermione needed assistance, stood on the stage and whistled loudly. "Shut it!" he yelled, then nodded for Hermione to continue. She mouthed "thanks" to him.

"Okay, so, I've been 'volunteered'-" she glared at Seamus, who chuckled, "-to sing for you. Since I'm terribly outnumbered here-"

"That's right!" someone called out.

"Stuff it!" Seamus responded.

Hermione paused until there was silence again. "Since I'm outnumbered, I've chosen something quite short, but one of the few songs I know by heart. It's a lullaby my French mother sang to me as a child, when I had trouble sleeping. Sorry, but Padma doesn't know the tune, so I'll need to do this a cappella. It's called, 'Petite Bebe'."

Harry watched as Hermione looked at the crowd, took a deep breath, closed her eyes and sang. She had the voice of an angel! Her voice was true in pitch, strong and steady, yet quiet, and full of hidden passion and feelings. He felt it strike him directly in his heart. The lullaby was a love song to a child, but Harry wished that passion and feeling were directly towards him.

Nearly as quickly as it was begun, Hermione finished her song to applause and yells. She mimicked a quick curtsey and attempted to jump off the stage, but both Seamus and Cormac stopped her. "Oh no, no, no. Blimey, girl, you sing like an angel! You've got to do another!" Cormac said.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Must I?" The crowd roared its approval. She bit her lower lip in contemplation, then her eyes lit up. "Then you'll sing with me! We'll sing rounds. You know Frere Jacques?"

"In English, Frenchie! Don't forget you're back in Britain!" someone called out to several laughs.

Hermione laughed as well. "I'm English!" she yelled back in perfect BBC clipped tones, then switched to her normal voice . "All right, whatever gets you lot to sing! Now, we need to divide this room into thirds. You there, in the Hufflepuff scarf!" Hermione pointed to a blonde woman in black and yellow. "From your right onwards to the wall is group one. And you, in the red and blue stripes." She pointed to a young man with dark hair. "From you to the opposite wall is group three. You in the middle are group two. Now, we'll all practice singing together, then I'll break down the groups."

Hermione proceeded to instruct the pub on the verses of the song, and when to start singing, then acted as conductor while she lead them into first a group sing, then rounds. After a few tries, they successfully sang three rounds of 'Father John', and cheered themselves for a job well done.

There were no complaints when Hermione exited the stage this time, and Seamus gave her a pat on the back and a wink as she went by before he found another recipient for public humiliation. Luna ran up and gave her a hug.

"You did that so well!" she smiled.

Hermione smiled back. "I was assistant choral director at Beauxbatons for the third years. I just pictured you as fourteen year olds and it all came back to me."

Ron joined the laughter, then felt himself being pulled up to the stage by Seamus. "Cuddly Cannons fight song, Weasley!" Seamus demanded.

"That's Chudley Cannons, you git," laughed Ron and he obliged.

Hermione watched Luna watch Ron as he had the pub singing of the joy of the orange clad Quidditch team. How could anyone doubt Luna's feelings towards Ron? Hermione asked herself. She failed to notice a messy-haired wizard staring at her intensely.

Once Ron had finished, Seamus insisted on the Kenmare Krestels fight song, and Oliver Wood and some of his team mates entered the pub just in time for the Puddlemere United song.

Hermione was not a big Quidditch fan, but being part of the wizarding world meant embracing Quidditch. So she did. She attended the matches and rooted for whichever team her friends played for. She was dreading the World Cup if Britain played France; she would be torn between which team to root for. And Bulgaria, well, Viktor was in the past, but he was still a good friend she wrote to often. He had her support as well.

"Luna, your beau has quite a voice," Hermione yelled to her friend over the singing.

Luna glowed. "Yes, Ronald has a strong set of lungs, hasn't he? He needn't worry about the Wrackspurts affecting his brains, he's singing much too loud for them and they hate so much noise."

"Hmm, yes. My thoughts exactly," Hermione responded.

(A/N: paraphrasing Jane Austen in next part of conversation: Pride & Prejudice Chapter 6, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Sir William Lucas, Darcy and Caroline.)

Then she noticed that Harry Potter was standing rather close to them. She leaned closer to Luna so that she could speak to her alone. "Why is Mr. Potter listening to our conversation?" she asked rhetorically.

"That is a question that only Harry can answer."

When they continued their conversation and Harry continued to hover, unspeaking, Hermione felt provoked to respond.

"Potter, since you undoubtedly overheard, what do you think of me teasing Luna about Mr. Weasley's singing voice?"

"Harry! Singing is wonderful! There's nothing like it to unite people," Seamus joined the conversation.

"Certainly, since all sorts of people are under the impression that they can sing," Harry responded bitingly.

Hermione immediately bristled. Does he mean Muggles?

Harry winced. What the hell was he saying? He was trying to be witty but failed miserably. From the expression on Hermione's face, she must have taken it the wrong way. Before he could try to explain himself-if he could even think of an explanation for such a stupid remark-Seamus interrupted.

"Hermione! Why aren't you dancing? Harry, let me present our lovely Beauxbatons witch as your partner. Even you can't refuse to dance with such a beauty." Seamus posed to place Hermione's hand in Harry's when she nearly leapt back, to Harry's discomfort.

"Oh no, Seamus! You must not think I am here looking for a dance partner!" Hermione exclaimed, feeling flush spread over her cheeks.

Harry bowed his head slightly. "Hermione, may I have the pleasure-"

"No, I'd rather not dance tonight. Rather peaked from yesterday. Will just go over and get some water."

"Let me get that for you," Harry offered.

"No, really! I'm quite capable of doing it myself!"

"I fully realize that, but I would like to help," Harry started, then moved his way through the crowd towards the bar.

Hermione was flushed. She was crimson and confused. Why was Harry Potter being so attentive to her today when he publicly snubbed her the day before? Maybe he's trying to trick her into complacency for some prank or another? She knew Ron's brothers founded Weasleys Wizard Wheezes. Perhaps this is all part of a way to humiliate the Muggle-born?

Ernie Macmillan was happy to take Harry's place and chat with Hermione whilst Harry was absent. She enjoyed Ernie's company and they discussed his recent trip to Paris, comparing the differences between magic on the continent and in Britain.

(A/N: paraphrase of Chapt 6 of P&P, Caroline and Darcy)

"I can guess the subject of your daydream," Ginny was suddenly beside Harry as he stared at the dance floor, hoping not to see Hermione dancing with anyone else.

"I think not," he responded curtly.

"You are thinking how horrible it all is. How you'd rather be off on a broom somewhere with your own thoughts."

Harry looked at Ginny. She was a good friend before she was an ex-girlfriend.

"Yes, you know I'd prefer to be on a broom than anywhere else. But that's not what I was thinking about. I was thinking of some lovely brown eyes."

Ginny preened, then, as Harry's eyes drifted away from her, she realized with much disappointment that she was not the subject of his reverie. "Oh," she breathed.

She followed Harry's eyes, which now settled on Hermione, the bookworm's head bent back as she laughed at something Ernie said. Both Harry and Ginny's eyes narrowed, for different reasons.

"Oh, you'll have lovely bushy haired children then," the red-head intoned, her voice filled with sarcasm.

Harry realizing the discomfort his words caused his friend, said, "Ginny, retract your claws. Why do girls go from admiration to marriage to babies in a heartbeat? I'm merely looking. I'm not out for a relationship. I'll probably be sent back to Asia again before too long."

"Oh no!" Ginny's remorse was genuine. Harry and Ron had only just arrived back and already he was speaking as if this was just a stopover until the next adventure.

Harry looked at her with sympathy and gently touched her arm. "Don't worry. Probably not so soon, but I just want it understood that I'm not looking for romantic entanglements." He looked directly at Ginny who nodded. He then proceeded to deliver the water Hermione mentioned several minutes prior.

He arrived back at the group just in time to see Ernie whisper something into Hermione's ear, see her laugh, and respond, "Okay, Friday it is," and watch Ernie walk away, giving Harry a smiling nod as he left.

Hermione accepted the bottle of water and took a long drink. Harry could not contain his curiosity. "What was that about then?" he had hoped he didn't sound too curt or possessive, but Hermione's ensuing frown indicated that he probably did.

"Ernie wanted to see some of Muggle London. We're meeting after work," she replied.

"Do you need an escort? It's been a while since you've been here, right?"

"No, I know London quite well, actually. I always traveled by Tube before we moved to France. I would just hop on the train to get into town."

"Oh." They fell into an uncomfortable silence. Hermione started to prefer the sullen version of Harry to this new, uncomfortable version. If he could just snub her, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Harry shifted his feet awkwardly. As much as he despised her yesterday, today he wanted to get to know Hermione, to make up for snubbing her the day before, but nothing seemed to be going right. So, he went with the first thing that popped into his head:

"So, you used to date Viktor Krum?"

Hermione wrinkled her nose. What an awkward question! Where the bezerk did that come from? "Um, yeah. That's old news now."

Harry's heart did a little flip when she mentioned it was over.

"So, is that your type then? Quidditch players?" He needed to know if his first impression of her, that of being a fan girl crazy Quidditch tart like Parvati or Lavender, was accurate.

Hermione wrinkled her nose again, once again considering her preference for yesterday's sullen, rude Harry Potter instead of this socially awkward, nosy version.

"No …" she said in a drawn out voice, trying to determine his motive. "If I had a type, it would probably be someone as bookish as I am. I only watch Quidditch to see friends play. And it's dreadful dating a celebrity! The papers on the continent are as bad as the Daily Prophet! The whole time Viktor and I were seeing each other, the papers seemed to take it personally that this Bulgarian star was dating a very ordinary looking Englishwoman. They were hoping for a supermodel and got me instead. Took Viktor's preference for me personally, it was all rather ridiculous. I'll not go through that again!" she declared

Outside, he trained his face to be expressionless, but inside he was in turmoil. She doesn't go for athletes or celebrities. He was doomed! But why would he care? He trained his face to scowling to mask his inner thoughts.

Hermione actually relaxed a bit when she saw Harry's scowl. She had wondered if she spoke too much, she had barely said five words to him before, and then she was prattling on for several minutes. Seeing the familiar scowling expression on the Chosen One's face calmed her down and made things right in the world. Then she thought, Oh shite! Did I just insult him? After all, he is a celebrity. But that's assuming that he would want to date me? Ridiculous! She actually shook her head, which seemed to amuse Harry.

"What? You're changing your mind?" he asked.

Hermione's eyes snapped to Harry's. Was he actually flirting with her? "No, I just-oh look! Parvati and Lavender are going on stage!"

Her two housemates, clinging to each other in their in their inebriation, managed to get up on the stage and called for attention.

"We've got a ditty for you! Ladies, you know the words! Join in!" Lavender called out, then she and Parvati proceeded to sing a lewd song about Quidditch pants.

Harry frowned as he watched Hermione laugh at her housemate's antics. She even joined in the singing of the chorus! He was appalled. His first impression of her was clearly correct. Maybe she did have some better qualities, such as her close friendship with Padma and Neville and Luna, but she also had the unpleasantness of Lav and Pav. Harry scowled, and moved away from the singing witch.

Hermione clapped her hands at laughed at the end of the song, and was about to speak to Harry again, but he seemed to disappear into the crowd. She was surprised by her feelings of disappointment.

The night concluded for Hermione with Ernie walking her home and giving her a kiss on the cheek. It was very sweet. She liked Ernie. He was interesting, worldly, and intelligent. She didn't feel romantic about him and didn't think he felt that way about her, but he could be a good friend.

Inside their home, Hermione was preparing the hangover potions her housemates would be requiring when Luna arrived, floating into the living room with a smile on her lips. She sat prettily on the sofa and sighed. Hermione took the invitation to sit beside her.

"Spill. Tell me everything. Did he kiss you?" asked Hermione.

The blonde witch smiled and pulled on her radish earrings. "Lovely. He's wonderful. So sweet, so attentive. He makes me happy."

Hermione pulled her friend into a big hug. "I'm so happy for you! And he's treating you well?"

"Oh yes, Hermione. He even suggested we go hunting for Blibbering Humdingers."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Really? That sounds serious."

Luna smiled and hugged a pillow. "Oh, I don't know, but I'm so happy. I might be falling in love!"

Hermione gave another hug. "I'm so happy for you! And he feels the same way?"

"I think so. It's all happening so fast! We're going out tomorrow."

"Already! Three times in three days! This is serious!"

Luna smiled. "I hope so."

***

Back at Grimmauld Place, Harry, Ginny and Ron were discussing the night's events as well.

"Her hair? Is it not the color of moonlight? Her smile! Pearls! Her teeth are pearls!" Ron was lying on the sofa, dreamily tossing an orange in the air while discussing the many luminous attributes of Luna Lovegood.

Harry smiled from the chair opposite while Ginny scowled. "Ron, Ronnikins, you're deliriously in love, aren't you?" he asked his best friend.

"Ugh! You're just making a fool of yourself, brother dear. I'm not sure she's in your league!" Ginny frowned.

Ron ignored his sister. "Harry, have you ever felt this way? No, I doubt it. It's wonderful! Everything is wonderful! Life is wonderful! I love life!"

"How much of this is alcohol induced and how much of this is real, Ron?" Ginny asked.

Ron sat up to respond. "No, it's real. It's the real thing. I'm sure of it! We're going out to Diagon Alley tomorrow. Taking her to Florean Fortescue's for ice cream."

"Tomorrow? You're seeing her again tomorrow! Won't you get sick of each other?" Ginny frowned as Ron's face went misty again.

"No, how could I get sick of an angel?" Ron smiled dreamily. Ginny scowled and Harry laughed.

"Ginny, we won't get a commonsense word out of him for a while. I'll tuck him in tonight. See you later."

"What are you doing tomorrow, Harry?"

"I'm going to see Teddy. It's been far too long." Harry smiled at the thought of seeing his godson. "He loved the toys I brought him from Asia."

Ginny smiled back. "You're a good godfather, Harry."

A shadow passed over his eyes. "I wish I could do more. I wish I could be here for him, like Sirius was here for me. I wish Remus and Tonks were still here. I wish they were all still here."

Ginny went to give Harry a tight hug, but he just patted her back absentmindedly. He suddenly realized where he was and with whom, so he just gave her a wan smile and gently pushed her away. "I'll be fine. Thanks, but I'm fine. We're all fine. We're still here and we need to appreciate that."

Ginny, thinking of Fred and the rest, blinked back some tears and they shared a hug.

"Good night, Ginny," Harry whispered into her ear as he walked her to the fireplace. "I'll take care of Ron."

"I'm just worried that he's falling so fast, that she won't return his affections," Ginny whispered once she determined that Ron was out of earshot.

"Don't worry, I'm on it."

"But remember that girl in Singapore I heard about…"

"I was there, Ginny. I took care of that one and I'll take care of this as well. Who knows, maybe Luna feels the same way?"

Ginny frowned. "Hmmm. I don't like the crowd she hangs out with. They're all so flighty and shallow."

Harry thought about his conflicting impressions of Hermione Granger. He could only grunt a response, neither confirmation nor denial. He kissed the top of her head, ignoring her silent request for a deeper kiss, and waved goodbye as she Flooed back to the Burrow.


***

A/N: Next Chapter: Enter Wickham!

This is the last chapter that will follow closely to P&P. Hermione is a working girl, the next chapter will be at the Ministry and be a bit about her work there. But I'm going to keep the essence of P&P, of course.

BTW, updates will not be as frequent as Chapters 1-3, but more like weekly, if possible. Real Life of both me and my other working mom beta is happening, but we are committed to this fic!

And Please Read and Review!!!