Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magic and Misperceptions by addisonj
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magic and Misperceptions

addisonj

Magic and Misperceptions

Chapter 18: A Visit to Shell Cottage, and Meeting Teddy

Author: AddisonJ

Beta: DeeMichelle

Disclaimer: The following story is based on situations and characters owned by J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, and their publishers.

(A/N: I'm baaack. The last three chapters have been returned from my beta and I'll be posting them over the next week or two. Hint: it's a happy ending. )

***

Back at the castle, Hermione and Harry met the Longbottoms at the greenhouse. Hermione hurriedly explained that she would be visiting some friends with Harry and thanks for the trip to Hogwarts, but Harry would be taking over hosting duties. Padma and Neville noticed their two friends were now holding hands and readily agreed to the change of plans.

Harry showed her the castle. From the Gryffindor tower to the Potions classroom in the basement, to the Room of Requirement (which appeared to be a hotel bedroom when they walked in, which made them blush and walk out again), to the secret passageway to Hogsmeade.

"Thanks for the tour. I really wonder what would have happened if I had attended Hogwarts instead of Beauxbatons," Hermione said. "It doesn't help to try to rethink the past though, does it?"

"Not when the present looks wonderful," Harry added, squeezing her hand.

Once outside the castle gates, they Apparated to Shell Cottage to visit Bill and Fleur.

"Harry! You're here early. And you've brought Hermione!" Bill greeted them at the front door.

"Gods, Hermione, did you just fuck?" asked Fleur in French. Hermione blushed and patted down her hair as Harry looked confused.

"Fleur! Harry might not understand, but the children know French! Watch your language!" Bill reprimanded.

Fleur ignored her husband and grabbed Hermione by the arm. "Excuse us, we need some girl talk," she spoke in English, and then switched to German as she lead Hermione to the sitting room.

"So, Harry?" Fleur asked in German. Hermione blushed.

"Yeah, Harry," she replied in German.

"Was it good? How does he make you feel? How does he treat you? Does he love you? He brought you here, this must be serious; and you don't just hop into beds, I know you."

"Yes, excellent, excellent, yes. Did I answer all your questions?"

Fleur clapped her hands. "Excellent!" She switched to French. "I knew there was a spark between you two. I could tell at the Burrow. There is a connection there, something we cannot name, but it was there and you can't suppress it, not without losing your mind. Bill and I have that." Fleur sniffed the air. "Merde, do you need to wash up? Use the bidet?"

Hermione wrinkled her nose and sniffed. "Oh gods, do I smell like sex?"

Fleur dragged her friend to her own large closet. "I have been pregnant enough times to have clothes in every size. Here, take your pick. You want to allure him, but not overpower him like a cheap Muggle. Here," she thrust a soft blue blouse and a grey skirt into Hermione's hands. "Take a shower, clean up, there are lotions and soaps there, choose. You'd recognise them, I brought them from France. Dress up for your man. You are English but you are French, Hermione Granger. You should know how to play up your assets but stay true to yourself. Let's pluck those eyebrows."

Hermione held up her hands to stop Fleur's wand from reaching her eyebrows. "Later. I really need some cleaning up now."

While the witches chatted, the wizards sat in the back garden drinking butterbeers. "So, Hermione?" asked Bill. Harry nodded. He did not discuss his love life with Bill or anyone really, and did not plan to start now. "She's a great girl. Smartest witch at Beauxbatons. Fleur thinks highly of her and I love her, too. If there wasn't Fleur …." He let the sentence linger as Harry looked up sharply. "I'm just saying she only deserves the best. And I know you like you're my younger brother, Harry, but I care for Hermione, too. Since she's an only child, I'm going to have to step in and be her older brother here." Bill paused and looked Harry square in the eye. "You can't just shag her and walk away."

Harry sputtered his response, his anger growing. "I'm obviously not shagging and walking away! I brought her here!"

Bill nodded, his scars flushed and his fang earring bounced lightly. He took a swig from his bottle. Seemed to consider Harry's words, and then nodded again.

"Right then. What's new at the Ministry?"

They settled down to more normal topics when the witches reappeared, Hermione refreshed in a change of clothes, a dusting of makeup and her hair falling in gentle curls along her shoulders. Harry stood up and walked over to give her a kiss. "You look amazing."

"Fleur can work magic," Hermione responded.

"It's not me. It's being young and in love," Fleur replied.

Harry watched Hermione flush and look away, but he saw the hope that her feelings for him may be growing. He took her hand, "There's something I want to show you."

***

The grave had a simple marker. "Here lies Dobby - a Free Elf".

"He saved my life," Harry said quietly. "When we escaped from Malfoy Manor, Bellatrix threw a knife at me, and Dobby put himself in its path. He saved me and he died."

Harry sat on the ground and stared at the grassy mound. Hermione echoed his movements, reaching out to hold his hand, eyes threatening with fresh tears. She kept quiet. She knew when to talk and when to listen. This was a time to listen.

"He's the one who told me about the Room of Requirement when we needed secret meetings for Dumbledore's Army. He's the one who gave me gillyweed for the second task; he spied on Draco for us. He … he's the reason why I'm here today. His last words were my name."

"Oh Harry!" Hermione could be quiet no longer and flung her arms around him, and held him and held him and held him. Harry did not bother to brush away the tears from his cheeks. Somehow, in these sad memories, there was a comfort and safety in her touch. A grip released but still embraced, he felt her lean her head against his shoulder, and they sat in silence.

Afterwards, when the sun was setting and there was a chill in the air, Harry turned to Hermione and gave her a tight squeeze.

"Thank you," he said.

"For what?"

"For knowing what to do, and what not to do. For doing just the right thing, just now."

Hermione smirked. "I'm sorry to say I actually understood that."

He kissed the tip of her nose and she closed her eyes. "Yes, I know. Let's walk along the beach here. It reminds me of Linnet. I would remember this place when we were there. Let's walk." He stood up first then helped her up, never losing touch. "I stayed here for a while when we were hunting the Horcruxes."

"I always wanted a home by the sea," Hermione said after they had walked for a few minutes.

"Yes, I know, I remember you said that in Appley, too."

"Maybe since I'm a London girl, or a Paris girl, but the sea … There's something special here."

"It matches my mood," Harry said, "The wind, the sounds of the sea pounding on the sand, the roughness, it suited me; it still suits me."

"I find it invigorating," said Hermione, her chin upturned as she faced the wind. "It refreshes my mind. I think it clears all the debris and I can see clearer. In Linnet, it would help me formulate my plans with the werewolf laws."

"How's that going, by the way?"

"Well. I think in a few months we'll be ready to forward some proposed legislation and get some buy-in before heading to the Wizengamot. But I'm quite optimistic."

"And what about house-elves?"

"Once we get the foundation for the werewolf laws, next year we'll bring forward legislations for all magical beings. We wanted to start with werewolves; there is strong public sentiment that if we give werewolves rights, they will start terrorising humans. So we want to start with protections to give werewolves rights like jobs, access to Wolfsbane, and resources to accommodate full moon transformation in a safe, secure, humane environment. Once that's set, we'll introduce legislation for house-elves, goblins, giants, and centaurs. I'm quietly optimistic, but there is still much work to be done, and we can't take any of this for granted."

"I'm impressed that once you set your mind to something, you do it. This might actually work, after centuries of oppression-"

"Yes! Isn't it fabulous? This sounds stupid and corny, but I do want to leave the world a better place when I go, and this will be my mark on it. I couldn't quite articulate it with Montgomery, but I need to do this now, and then I can go on and be an Auror or healer or researcher or professor or what have you, but now the mood in the country is ripe for this. I need to do this. We need to do this."

Harry stopped, held her face in his hands and kissed the tip of her nose again. It was becoming one of his favourite places on earth. "And you do so fabulously. But what about the house-elves? Will there be any laws to stop masters from abusing them?"

Hermione's eyes sparkled. "Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking, and having Gaby and news of the abuse will help turn the tide. Then we can push the Prevention of Elf Abuse laws. It has taken me a while to realise that many house-elves want to be owned and don't consider themselves slaves, they should be protected with basic rights and freedoms. Wrapping it in abuse prevention is a start, then giving them the right to find other employment is another. Baby steps."

Smart, compassionate, articulate, Harry could not think of anything more he could want in a witch. He was amazed that he once confused her with a fangirl. He kissed her soundly on the lips and she returned the kiss with a hint of hidden passions. He couldn't wait to be alone with her. It wasn't just lust, it was so much more. He realised that they hadn't stopped holding hands or touching in some way since they were reunited. When their lips parted, he kissed her hand, then looked at her, beaming.

"I'm happy," he said, feeling a bit foolish, saying the obvious.

"So am I, Mr Potter," she replied with a smirk. "A smile really suits you."

"I only save them for when I really mean it. I feel like I've only a set lifetime allotment, and I shouldn't let them go to waste."

Hermione reached up and kissed him again. "Then I shall try to make you go through your allotment and borrow more."

They didn't just kiss, they talked, comparing stories of the War and her Dumbledore notes, then feelings after the War and trying to cope with the new world without loved ones. For Hermione, the demons were the loss of her friend, and knowing she was capable of killing someone. For Harry, there were so many demons since he had years of war, of being on the run, of being nearly killed so often and losing so many. He spoke of how the Weasleys were like his surrogate family and how much he felt at home at the Burrow, but it still wasn't a real home to him. Nowhere was, not even his current home, Grimmauld Place. He was considering moving back into Godric's Hollow, or perhaps find someplace new entirely.

"That's why I don't mind travelling so much. I don't feel rooted anywhere. The Burrow and Grimmauld Place are the closest to home, but they're not really mine. The Burrow is for the Weasleys and Grimmauld was Sirius's home, the home for the House of Black," Harry explained. "Sirius willed it to me, but I think it really belongs to Teddy; but Andromeda doesn't want to live there."

"Are you planning to travel again soon?" asked Hermione tentatively.

Harry looked at her worried face and kissed her again. Any excuse for a kiss would do.

"No!" he answered emphatically once he finished kissing her, and she smiled. He kissed her again. "What about you? Are you going to go back to France once your laws are passed?"

She tipped her head to the side in thought. Harry held his breath for her answer. If needed, he could handle a long distance relationship, it would be easy enough for him to get International Portkeys, but he would rather not.

"No," she answered slowly as Harry exhaled. "But I must admit, at first I had planned this to be a temporary transfer." She looked at Harry. "I do plan to make it permanent. I love it here. I'm half French, I've lived half my life in France, and I do miss my friends and my family there, but I feel like I'll miss England more than I miss France if I should move back. Not sure if that made any sense-"

Harry shut her mouth again with a kiss. "Yes, it made sense," he said between kisses.

After more kisses and talk, they walked arm in arm back to Shell Cottage where Fleur, Bill, Victoire and the new baby, Dominique, were waiting in the back garden, looking like a picture perfect family.

Hermione turned to Harry suddenly. "Kids? One day, do you want them? Not necessarily with me," she added suddenly when a look of shock crossed his face, "but in general. Just curious, getting to know you, and all that."

Harry's face turned from surprise to intensity. He kissed her again, this time open-mouthed, long and slow. It was several moments before he answered.

"Yes, absolutely. Four, I think. I'm the last of the Potter line, and I always wanted sibling."

A teasing smile grew quickly on Hermione's face. "Four's a lot. What if the mum is working outside the home as well?"

"Three then," he said between kisses. "There will be freed house-elves and nannies helping."

"If it's all imaginary, just have five kids and three house-elves. I heard a rumour that you can afford it, Mr Potter," she teased.

Harry laughed despite himself. He never mentioned his wealth; it was a sore subject for him, an inheritance based on the deaths of his parents and godfather, but Hermione was one of the few people he knew who was not interested in his wealth, and felt free enough to tease him about it.

He kissed her again. "Rumour based on fact. Then, in this imaginary world, I'd want more children than the Weasleys, and live in a huge house much more stable than the Burrow, here by the sea, and have a beautiful and adoring wife who could simultaneously help raise the children, support me in my work, and in return, I'd support her saving the world."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Both of you saving the world? That's quite busy. That doesn't leave much time for raising children."

"It's imaginary. Multi-tasking and being organised helps."

She laughed. "Come along, I see Fleur waving at us."

"You're staying for supper," Fleur said in English the moment they were in hearing distance. "And you should stay over. You can see Teddy and Andromeda tomorrow. Just Floo them , you're staying the night."

"We don't want to be an imposition-" Hermione began.

"Nonsense! I've already had the guest room prepared for you," Fleur answered in English, then switched to French. "I'm sure you'd like to lie down somewhere other than the forest floor," she said as she plucked a pine needle embedded deep in Hermione's curly hair.

"Most of us can still understand you," Bill called out while Harry stood, looking puzzled.

Hermione turned. "Is that all right Harry? To stay here?"

"I already put a silencing charm on the room," Fleur added, and watched in amusement as both Harry and Hermione blushed. "You're a screamer, are you?"

"Fleur! The children!" called out Bill.

"P-shaw! In France, we children know our parents make love, n'est ce pas, Hermione?"

Hermione blanched at the thought of her parents having sex. The Doctors Grangers were rather prim.

Seeing her distress, Harry approached Hermione and put an arm around her, answering for them both.

"Thank you for the offer, Fleur; we'll stay. I'll just use the Floo let some people know so no one worries?" asked Harry.

"Of course, of course. Our home is yours," Fleur answered.

Hermione was saved from further conversation by Victoire's approach. "Tante Hermione, piggy back!" the little girl demanded in a combination of French and English. Hermione complied.

In his peripheral vision, Harry watched Hermione play with the children as he told both Andromeda and Ron of their changed plans. He also told Ron to let Luna know that Hermione was with him, in case she was needed (he knew full well that an owl could reach Hermione, but he still had some Muggle habits).

Hermione was firm, but very loving with the children. She played with Victoire and indulged the child, but was not afraid to set boundaries when Victoire wanted sweets before dinner with a firm "Non!"

"Uncle Harry! Comment ça va? How are you? You must learn French!" Victoire called out when Harry approached.

"Now, we wouldn't want him overhearing our secrets, would we?" Hermione teased the girl.

"Is he your boyfriend now?" Victoire asked with the candour of a child.

While both Harry and Hermione looked stunned by the question, Bill and Fleur leaned in to hear the answer.

"I suppose you need to ask him that," Hermione managed to sputter a response, as she looked at Harry.

Harry smiled and wrapped an arm around Hermione. He kissed her soundly on the cheek. "Yes," he said, winking at Victoire.

Hermione looked at him at grinned. "Correct response, Potter," she teased. "That means you'll have to break off with all of your other paramours."

"You, too."

"There are none. Friends, only."

"Well then, we'll have to make a public display of affection in a well-populated spot to make sure the whole wizarding world knows you're off limits."

"Using the he Daily Prophet to do your dirty work again? Why not give Rita Skeeter an exclusive: The Chosen One Gets Girlfriend." Hermione pantomimed the headline.

"Dinner is served!" the house-elf interrupted the conversation.

Dinner was delightful and Harry could not remember having such a combination of love, joy, friendship, and humour combined with good food in a very long time.

After dinner, they sat in the garden and watched the sun set whilst drinking dessert wine.

"Bill! Let's retire now, and give Harry and Hermione some privacy, no?" Fleur stood up and reached her hand for her husband to follow. The children were already in bed, and there was an air of romance as lanterns lit the back garden.

"Yes, right, of course," Bill sputtered a reply. Remembering the new status of Harry and Hermione's relationship, he added, "You did put a very strong silencing charm on the room, didn't you?"

Hermione gasped in response and Harry feinted a hand to his wand. "Don't speak ill of my girlfriend!"

Girlfriend. He liked that word. It all happened so quickly over the past few hours, but had taken months to get to this stage, over hurdles of their own creation.

"I'm right here! There may not be a need for a silencing charm if you keep that up!" scolded Hermione. The men immediately put on their serious faces, albeit with a twinkle in their eyes. "Maybe you should check your silencing charms as well?"

Bill grinned and moved to swot Fleur's bottom, but she quickly manoeuvred away. "Quidditch reflexes," she taunted him.

Moving quicker, Bill wrapped his arms around her and gave her a passionate kiss. "Head Boy privileges."

As the married couple exited amid their increasingly amorous kisses, Harry and Hermione exchanged looks.

"Well," Harry started to speak, but faltered, the awkwardness of the moment growing.

"Well," she answered, shyly meeting his eyes. "Um, I admit I'm feeling a bit out of sorts now."

"Me, too!" Harry was grateful for her honesty. "It's not that I-well, I don't want to presume, I mean, I don't often-well, I do that often enough, but not with someone like you and … bugger, all, I can't speak! I sound like a bleeding idiot."

Hermione blushed, leaned forward, and gave him a quick kiss to silence his rambling.

"Will you always kiss me when you want me to shut up?" he asked.

She kissed him again as proof. And the kiss deepened, as lips parted and a warm glow overtook both of them.

"Blimey!" Harry's eyeglasses were askew and Hermione corrected them. Harry stopped her hand. "Bugger it; I think they'll be coming off soon."

"That and a few other things," she mumbled, but Harry heard. Their eyes met and they shared a laugh.

The walk to the guest room was short, but was lengthened as Harry chose moments to push her against walls and kiss her soundly. "I don't think they have silencing charms in the entire house," Hermione would gently scold her lover and he would silence her with kisses as well.

"Bloody hell!"

Harry opened the door to the guest room of Shell Cottage and immediately thought of the Room of Requirement. He heard how some students would use the room for their own amorous encounters. Well, the guest room looked exactly how he'd imagine the Room of Requirement would appear for an amorous encounter: candles everywhere, rose petals along the floor, forming a trail that lead to the bed which was covered in petals as well. Soft R&B music played from a hidden source.

"Fleur!" Hermione exclaimed once she saw the room. She looked at Harry and blushed. "I don't think we're meant to be playing Exploding Snap in here."

"Good, because I don't see any in here."

"I don't see much in here. Lighting a bit dim, oh, gods!" Hermione noticed the basket by the bed. "Is that-oh, my!"

"Do you think they're edible?" Harry followed her gaze. "I think I've seen a few of these in Bangkok."

"If not Knockturn Alley. Not that I'd been there," Hermione hastily added. She held up the chocolate body paint and silk scarves. "I may be a bit old fashioned, but-" Before Hermione could continue, Harry flicked his wrist and the basket was whisked into the closet. Hermione sighed.

"Thank you Harry," she responded with kind eyes. "I was starting to feel a bit of performance anxiety."

He grabbed her by the shoulders and covered her mouth with his. No tentative kisses at first any longer, it was the kiss of experienced lovers, and she responded as such. Her hands pulled at his messy hair to bring his lips closer, his hands raced along the sides of her body as breathing deepened.

"Glasses." Hermione took them off and placed them (with as much care as she could summon in such a moment) on the night stand.

"Clothes." The temptation to use a vanishing spell was strong, but Harry preferred the Muggle way of slowly undressing and kissing each bit of skin as it was exposed.

Lust overwhelmed them as hands, lips, legs were all engaged in undressing, finding erogenous points and increasing pleasure.

The silencing charm was put to good use several times that night.

Afterwards, they talked. They shared their secrets, the secrets Hermione had shared with Luna and those Harry had shared with Ron. They talked about hopes and dreams, all those intimate things one discusses when lying naked next to someone who is terribly terribly precious to them, and you don't want the night to end because it's so wondrous and special and oh-my-God is this really happening and how wonderful and it's been so long and I'm so happy and I don't want this to end. Ever.

The next morning, they didn't talk much, not to each other. Yet, they just couldn't be away from each other. They had to touch. Hermione would be in the kitchen helping Fleur, and Harry would walk by for no apparent reason, his gait would slow as he passed Hermione, as his arm would brush along her exposed arm and covered backside. She would look at him, and he at her, and they would smile. Small, deep smiles that said so much as their eyes met and they seemed to communicate without words. Then he would continue his walk and Hermione would return to whisking eggs, but she would first pause, sigh and smile, then continue with her work.

`They're in love,' Fleur thought as she watched them. `They don't know it yet. Well, Harry does, Hermione not yet. But she will, and soon.'

They sat side by side at the table, legs touching, hands touching when possible. They engaged in conversation with everyone at the table (even Dominique, although she was too young to join in), but their own language appeared to be in looks and touch. Fleur glanced and Bill, then tilted her head towards the new lovers. Bill nodded. The married couple had their own language as well.

After a walk along the beach which brought back happy memories of Appley, they Floo'd to visit Andromeda and Teddy. Hermione had never met Teddy, but had heard about him.

"Uncle Harry!"

A sandy haired boy ran up to Harry and gave him a huge hug. His hair then changed to black as Hermione watched his features alter to resemble a smaller version of Harry.

Hermione had heard about Metamorphmagus, but had not seen one in a long while. It was uncanny. At first, the boy had a heart shaped face and sandy hair with grey eyes, then he had messy black hair and green eyes. He was only missing the scar. It was as if seeing a young, scar-less Harry.

Teddy seemed to notice Hermione just then. Andromeda already had, and walked over to introduce herself.

She was a striking woman, long black hair and an aristocratic air. Pureblood, Hermione thought, then felt shameful that she was typecasting.

Introductions had to be made, and Harry found his voice.

"Andromeda, let me introduce Hermione Granger, my girlfriend. Hermione, Andromeda Tonks, Teddy's grandmother."

An eyebrow rose at the pronouncement of their new relationship; Teddy noticed the word as well.

"Girlfriend!" The boy leapt out of Harry's arms and into Hermione's, impeding Hermione's offered handshake with his grandmother. "Uncle Harry never had us meet a girlfriend of his before. Well, Aunt Ginny doesn't really count because she's like our aunt anyway. Girlfriend! Will you be my aunt, then?"

Harry blinked and rubbed his head in frustration, trying to find an answer. Hermione, sensing his discomfort, leaned in to stage whisper to the boy.

"It's all a bit too soon to ask, actually. He only just asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday. You don't decide to marry someone so soon."

"But if it's true love-" the boy started, but was interrupted by Harry.

"Andromeda, have you been filling his head with stories?"

The grandmother's eyebrow rose again. "It has been known to happen. When James saw Lily…"

Gods, I had forgotten that Harry's parents' story is a great tragic romance of the wizarding world, Hermione thought to herself. How could we compete with that? Wait, why am I even asking that, assuming that…

"Yes, yes, we have all heard that story. Hermione doesn't need to hear it, nor does Teddy. Teddy, what are you doing?"

Upon hearing Harry's startled voice, Hermione glanced up and saw the reason. Teddy's hair, once messy and black, turned curly, and his nose changed from Harry's to hers. His eyes were still green but he had her freckles …

"Oh, Merlin," Hermione breathed. She dared not look at Harry, but felt his gaze on her.

"Teddy! Stop that! You're just making mischief now! Stop that this instant!" Andromeda scolded her grandson and his features went back to as they were when the couple first arrived.

Sensing Hermione's unease, Harry squeezed her hand. Hermione exhaled.

"Teddy, show Harry and Hermione your new toys," Andromeda commanded.

The boy, easily distracted, jumped up and towards his rooms. "I have a dragon that shoots fire sparks! So cool!"

The rest of the day was spent playing with Teddy. It was a respite for Andromeda, she was able to spend some child-free hours while Harry and Hermione played house. And it was surprisingly fun. When Harry was more indulgent, Hermione was firm and vice versa. They complemented each other.

The sun was beginning to set when Harry and Hermione were bidding their farewells.

"I had a lovely time," Hermione said as she clasped Andromeda's hands in her own.

"You must come back with Harry again. He comes by at least once a week, if not more," the witch replied.

"Yes, Aunt Hermione, you must come by! You know the funniest Muggle stories!"

"And she's scary smart. Don't want to cross her," joked Harry. Hermione gave him a playful nudge.

"Eww! Don't kiss in front of me!" pleaded Teddy.

Harry laughed and pulled Hermione close to him. "We'll save that for some privacy. Give your Auntie `Mione a hug."

"Love you, Auntie `Mione," said the now raven-haired boy, as he gave her a tight hug.

"Love you, too, Teddy. Be good to your grandmother, we'll see you soon."

"Take me to Muggle London?" he asked. Hermione looked at Andromeda who nodded.

"If you're a good boy. We'll take you to a big Ferris wheel."

"I want to try that underground train! Or watch a movie-thingy."

"Yes, yes, we can do that and more. If you're good. Start making a list and we'll compare notes next time, and see what your grandmother suggests."

Teddy fell into Harry's arms and gave him a tight hug as well. "Love you, Uncle." This time, the voice wasn't light and fun as when he said the words to Hermione. With Harry, the words were tense and full of depth and meaning. It was the love built over time and obstacles and hardships, yet enduring.

As Hermione contemplated the difference in tone, she noticed Teddy's features turn into a blend of her own and Harry's, then back to just Harry's before the hug was broken.

"Does he do that a lot?" Hermione whispered to Andromeda.

"Just for you, dear," she whispered back.

As they Apparated back to Grimmauld Place (Harry taking Hermione in a full frontal sidealong), she noted the hint of sadness in the slump of his shoulders. She squeezed his hand.

"You all right?" she asked, knowing the answer, but wanting a conversation opener.

"I wanted them to move in with us, but Andromeda, she only has Teddy now. She lost everyone she loved in the War. Her husband, her daughter, her son-in-law. I offered the house to them. Gods, I could just live in a flat, I don't need all this, but she insisted. I wish I could do more.

"And I'm gone so much. When I was in the Far East, I did get international Portkeys on a regular basis to come back, but still… I know what it's like to be an orphan, and I want what's best for my godson."

Hermione was getting upset with Harry's self-recrimination. "Stop hurting yourself over this. You're doing the best that you can. You're not responsible for Teddy being an orphan, and you ended those responsible for that. What you need to focus on now is to continue to make sure that Teddy knows he's loved, and he knows that. That's bloody obvious. And that's what matters.. So stop beating yourself up over this. I simply won't tolerate it."

Harry looked down at the fierce look on Hermione's face and his love for her just grew. She looked like a woman warrior, defending his psyche against himself. He adored her for it.

Love. He knew he still loved her, and that his love for her was changing and growing. His love for her encompassed so much: from a love for her intelligence, her looks, her compassion, her loyalty to her friends and family, her fierce passion for civil rights and the underserved. Yesterday, he learned of the depths of her commitment to what was right, from Dumbledore's `riddles' that saved him and Ron over and over, risking her wellbeing by researching Horcruxes at Muggle-hating Durmstrang, to the amazing discovery that she formed her own Dumbledore's Army in France and they actually flew in to join them in the Final Battle, at the cost of her best friend.

Veterans. He and Hermione did not have the shared history that he and Ron had (and he was glad that as a Muggle-born, Hermione did not have to go into hiding as fellow Muggle-born Dean Thomas did), but they shared the Final Battle. They shared the experience of combat, of dealing with Death Eaters and the deaths of loved ones. And they both survived.

With an arm around her waist, he pulled her into a deep languid kiss, pressing himself against her. She tangled her hands into his hair. They were both quickly learning each other's bodies and touches, unaware that their privacy was about to be interrupted.

"Blimey! Oy, there, Harry! Is that Hermione?" Ron's shocked tone caused them to pull apart, but Harry kept Hermione pressed against his side.

"Hermione! How did you enjoy Hogwarts?" Luna glided into the room, sailing past a stunned Ron as she sat down on the sofa in front of the couple. "Ronald, close your mouth, dear."

If Harry had suddenly sprouted wings and danced about the room in a pink tutu and polka-dot umbrella, Ron would not have been more amazed.

"What? When?" Ron choked out.

"You must have found the Hoy-gong Speckles. They're quite common in Scotland this time of year. Latch themselves onto couples in love."

"Love? Harry? Hermione?" Ron babbled. What will Ginny say? he thought.

"We're together now," Harry said as an explanation. He took Hermione's arm and they shared an armchair, Hermione in his lap, leaning against his strong chest, feeling his heartbeat through his body into hers.

"Yes," was all that Hermione cared to contribute to the conversation at that moment.

"But what? When? How?" Ron continued to babble.

"Ron, you'll never believe, but remember those notes Dumbledore wrote us at Hogwarts? The anonymous ones? They weren't from Dumbledore, they were from Hermione!"

"What? The ones that explained Horcruxes to us, and those notes that helped during the Tournament?" This change of topic allowed Ron to regain his senses as he joined Luna on the couch.

"Hermione? You helped them? While you were at Beauxbatons?" asked Luna.

"I know, amazing, isn't it? We just found out ourselves. McGonagall knew, Dumbledore knew of course, but the rest of us were in the dark." Hermione proceeded to explain Dumbledore meeting with her, insisting that she attend Hogwarts, then the gift of the owl, the puzzles, and so on. Harry added his own perspective as a recipient of the letters, and Ron joined in as a witness to Harry receiving them, and Dumbledore denying responsibility.

"How delightful! When you were writing me, you were writing Harry as well!" Luna laughed. "It is like it was all meant to be, you were meant to be our friend."

"That might be, but I won't discard my years at Beauxbatons. I learned so much there and made some wonderful friends." A shadow passed over her eyes and Harry squeezed Hermione's hand, finally understanding the source of the momentary pain. She looked up at Harry and the shadow passed, replaced with a warm glow. "But I'm glad I'm here," she answered Luna, but looked only at Harry.

The four friends spent the evening at home talking, comparing stories of the past, of their weekends, of how Hermione's house mates would react to her new status. Then they retired to their rooms, and silencing charms were used in both bedrooms.

Please read and review!

Next chapter: the public reaction and Wickham/Draco returns.

-->