Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magic and Misperceptions by addisonj
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magic and Misperceptions

addisonj

Magic and Misperceptions

Chapter 8: Before the Assembly Ball

By addisonj

Beta: DeeMichelle

Disclaimer: The following story is based on situations and characters owned by J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, and their publishers.

***

PK readers: sorry, but I've had quite a lot of trouble uploading this chapter! Hopefully it'll work this time!

***

"Are you madly positively crazy insanely in love with him?"

Hermione and Luna were sitting outside on a lovely spring morning. In the several months since the Puddlemere United gala, Luna and Ron had been seeing each other nearly every day. She had fully recovered from the poisoning incident, and Ron had done his utmost to take care of her. Hermione had never seen her friend with this glow of utter happiness before. It was subtle, since her increased dreaminess wasn't easy to ascertain, but for Hermione, it was as clear as day.

"Oh, Hermione, I have never felt his way before! I think it can't get any better and it does! Ronald is so very sweet to me. Did you know he still won't even let me take a sip of water without him testing it first?"

"Has he declared his love for you?"

"No, not yet, but I know it." Luna nearly glowed in response.

"Have you told him?"

"Not yet, but I know it. `Love' doesn't seem like the right word, does it? There are so many different types of love. I mean, I love you, Hermione, but you don't give me butterflies when I see you enter a room."

Hermione smiled in acknowledgement. "And you've never felt this way before? No one else?"

Luna smiled and shook her head. "Absolutely no one."

Hermione paused, her brow furrowed in thought. "I say, he's your first, isn't he? I don't recall you ever mentioning any particular boy before in any of your letters." Hermione watched a blush rise on Luna's pale cheeks. "He is, isn't he? He's your first love! Oh, that's wonderful, Luna. A first time for this gooey inside feeling is just remarkable, isn't it?"

Luna dipped her head to try to hide her blush. She was unsuccessful.

"I don't mean to tease, Luna. I'm just so happy for you. I just didn't realise-"

"You're such a woman of the world, Hermione. You've had Laurent and Viktor Krum, and who knows who else. I've never had anyone serious before."

Hermione looked at her friend. How could this be? She was absolutely gorgeous, with this pale, ethereal beauty unmatched even by a part-Veela like Fleur.

"Luna, my dear, you're absolutely stunning. You must be driving them away because any wizard in his right mind should be banging at your door, and not just a red-headed Weasley."

"Now isn't saying `red-headed Weasley' a bit redundant? They're all red-headed," stated Luna. Hermione wasn't sure if Luna was teasing or just being her usual indescribable self.

"Well, with the grandchildren coming now there's a possibility of some non-red-headed Weasleys. Oh! Fine! I'll be more direct! Not just the youngest son of Molly and Arthur Weasley! But still, the fact remains; you're in love for the first time, hopefully the one and only time if things keep going as they appear to."

The blush deepened on Luna's cheeks. "Do you really think so?"

"Do I think he'll propose?" Hermione sighed. "I can't say for certain, but he seems to be going in that direction. Does he talk about the future with you?"

"Oh, yes, of course. He was saying that he'd like to travel less and spend more time in London. I was saying how I'd like to travel and look for Crumpled-Horned Snorkack. I've always wanted to find one and they're common in Sweden."

"Did you tell Ron about that?"

"Oh, yes. He said he'd like to join me."

Hermione leaned back and grinned. "Oh, he's in love with you then!"

Luna looked at her friend and smiled. "Was that the test then? And he passed?"

"Oh, yes, with flying colours."

Luna hugged her knees to her chest. "I've never felt this way before, Hermione. It's frightening. I had no idea I could feel so intensely about someone. And I've known him for years at Hogwarts. He never made me feel like this before."

"Did you have any feelings at all for him in school? Even just a bit?"

The head dipped again to try and hide the telltale blush. "Well, maybe a bit of a crush. But I'd pushed it aside."

Hermione pulled her friend into a hug. "I'm so happy for you! All these years! I had no idea! I'm sure Ron has no idea. Did you tell him?"

"Oh, gods, no! Why should I do that?"

"I think it's quite sweet. He'd be flattered."

"No, what if he doesn't feel the same? Or laughs at me? No, I'd rather not, thank you."

"Luna, okay, it's your decision."

Luna turned to look more closely at her friend. "Have you ever told a boy how you feel?"

Hermione sighed. "Oh, yes."

"And how did that go over?"

"Luna, I'm only one person. I'm not statistically significant!"

Luna waved away Hermione's verbal arguments. "Tell me."

Hermione sighed again, revisiting unhappy memories. "Well, the first time he ran. Screaming. It was when I was a child, about seven. This boy, Gavin Smith, was so cute! All the girls fancied him. Well, one day in the play park I told him that I loved him. Ugh! He literally ran screaming! He treated me horribly after that and everyone teased me. And he was mortified! I wasn't well liked and to have someone like me fancy him-social suicide." Hermione noticed her friend's face fall. "But that's not a good example! We were children!"

"How about Laurent?"

Hermione smiled weakly as she thought about her first boyfriend. She remembered when he first started treating her differently than the other know-it-alls in their clique at Beauxbatons, how he'd start to sit by her shyly in the dining hall and in classes, ask to carry her books, suggest weekends in town.

"Oh, he said it first. I agreed."

Luna frowned a bit. "And Viktor? Do you love him?"

It was Hermione's turn to frown. "That's a bit more complicated. Do you remember what you said earlier about the different types of love? Well, unfortunately, we love each other in different ways. He loves me like a suitor and I love him like my dearest friend. We just end up making each other unhappy."

"Why's that? I noticed that you two still write to each other quite a lot."

Hermione smiled, remembering some of the wonderful long letters she'd received from Viktor over the years. "Yes, he's a wonderful pen pal. Almost as wonderful as you, but somehow we can't seem to get to the next level.

"I mean we've tried. I mean I've tried. He doesn't seem to have the need to try, he just feels it. Feels that way about me. Oh, and he's such a lovely man. A true gentleman. He's gracious and kind and sweet and gentle. And quite patient. Quite smart and a wonderful athlete as well. But, something's missing."

"What do you mean, `something's missing'?"

"When I'm with him. I don't feel that crazy-girl-in-love spark like I think I should. I know, silly me, waiting for a romance novel to come to life, but I felt more of that with Laurent, and he's not nearly as accomplished as Viktor. He never treated me as well as Viktor, but for some reason my heart doesn't flutter into a million pieces with Viktor."

Hermione looked at the trees across the park, noticing how the branches on top swayed more in the wind than the branches below. When she spoke again, her voice was softer, a bit sadder. "It really would be easier for everyone if I did feel the same way. I mean, he's the perfect man. One of the most eligible bachelors in Europe. But something's missing. And I don't want to commit to him in case there's someone else out there for me. I just have this crazy illogical feeling that I can't compromise on this one thing."

"It makes sense, Hermione. If you feel like he's not the one, he's not the one. You can't change that."

"I wish that I could! I feel dreadful, like I'm breaking his heart whenever I see him! It really isn't fair to him, but I love him dearly like a friend. A best friend. I know he'll always have my back, will always look out for me, will always love me in some way or another. It's not fair to him, but I do."

"I'm sure he appreciates how you feel…"

"But I don't love him the way that I should!" Hermione gave a small cry and buried her head in her hands. Luna pulled her friend into a small embrace and made comforting noises to soothe her.

"Ssssh. Don't cry. I had no idea this was so upsetting."

"Sorry," Hermione wiped the tears from her eyes. "It's just that I know that he's coming soon. They're playing the Chudley Cannons and it's the day of Ron's ball. I'm sure he'll be there and I can't ask him not to be."

"Of course not. And you've told him how you feel?"

"We've discussed this a thousand times! And every time my heart breaks a bit because I know I'm breaking his. I wish he would find someone else, or that I could fall in love with him!"

"You can't force yourself to fall in love, Hermione. Surely a know-it-all like you knows that."

"Argh! One can still wish and hope, can't one?"

"So that's why everyone thinks Viktor dumped you?"

"Yes, to save face for Viktor. I insisted. It would damage him if people believed I ended the relationship rather than thinking he ended it. He keeps his reputation and standing in society, and I get to be the poor victim."

"But it's not honest. From what I know of Viktor, I'm sure he didn't agree to this."

Hermione played with the hem of her shirt before answering. "I know it's not right, but in a way it's true. I mean, I said I didn't love him and he should end it, and he ended it …"

Luna patted her arm. "I'm sure you have your reasons. It's getting chilly out. We should go in. Parvati and Lavender will be back from their shopping trip and we'll see what gowns they bought for the ball."

Hermione wiped her eyes one last time and patted the wrinkles from her clothes as she stood up. She looked at her best friend and put on a brave smile. "Cerulean. I want to wear cerulean again."

***

"Harry! Ron! Come in here for a moment!" Lionel Montgomery, the head of Magical Law Enforcement, called to his two favourite Aurors.

"Montgomery! Did you read our report on the Gaby case?"

"Yes, that's exactly why I wanted to see you. You remember Miss Granger?"

Ron shot Harry a look and smirked. Harry scowled. Ron answered for both of them. "Yes, we know Hermione."

"Splendid! I think she could use Gaby."

Both Ron and Harry had looks of surprise and confusion. Ron finally spoke (for both of them again), "Hermione needs a house-elf? She can't find her own, even if she wanted one?"

"No, no no! I mean Gaby. The house-elf of the alleged Death Eater, Cornelius Phelps. The one you have under protective custody? I just had a brilliant idea!"

"Don't keep us in the dark. Tell us, Montgomery," Harry urged.

Montgomery stood up from his desk and moved to the doorway where the two Aurors stood. "Better yet, let me tell you and Granger together. Let's go to her offices."

"I don't think I've ever been to the fourth level," Ron mused.

"Well, we've never had a reason to," replied Harry.

The three took the lift to level four, the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures department. When the lift doors opened, the young Aurors nearly gasped in surprise. It was almost like another company in there. There was none of the frantic pace of Magical Law Enforcement. The atmosphere was of a holiday retreat, with people chatting with mugs of tea. The furniture was more shop-worn than Magical Law Enforcement's. At MLE, the newest and best of everything was used. It looked like Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures received their castoffs.

The two older men chatting in the hallway noticed the presence of the Aurors and immediately ended their conversation, one turning to greet the new arrivals.

"Montgomery! Harry! Ron! What a pleasant surprise! What brings you to our part of the world?" Scamander greeted one department head to another, as Amos Diggory tried to look busy.

"Granger! Is Granger here? We have an idea for her. Why don't you join us?"

"Yes, well, she's probably in her office. Let's go there-"

"No, no, she won't be there. I saw her rushing off to research. Try the library," Amos suggested.

At that moment, the petite, bushy-haired witch came bursting into the hallway, carrying stacks of parchment and books so high that she had an obstructed view of the hallway and nearly collided into them.

"Oh, hello there!" she said right after bumping into Harry. Ever the gentleman, he gathered up the parchments that fell on the ground and placed them delicately into her arms. "Thanks ever so much!" she addressed Harry, who blushed a bit and was heard to mutter something sounding like "It's nothing" under his breath.

"Granger! Just who we're looking for! Can we go into your office? You don't mind, do you, Scamander?" Montgomery started moving down the hallway before Scamander could even answer, taking some of the books from Hermione's arms and distributing them between the two young men to carry. He took Hermione's elbow as she led him to her office.

"Please, have a seat," Hermione indicated towards the two guest chairs in her small office. Montgomery took one, Scamander the other while the young men stood in the doorway. Harry still held the books in his arms, unsure of where to put them until Hermione, noticing his discomfort, relieved him of his load. He gave her a grateful smile and she returned it, before settling into her chair behind her desk. She gave him one last smile before focusing on her other guests. "Montgomery?"

"Granger! Sorry for disturbing you-" Hermione dismissed the suggestion with a wave of her hand "-but I wanted to tell all of you at once." Montgomery cast a silencing spell around the room. "Granger, the boys here have been working on investigating a suspected Death Eater named Cornelius Phelps. We may have hit the jackpot with a potential witness, his house-elf, Gaby."

"No!" Hermione responded. "That almost never happens. House-elves are loyal beyond logic."

"Indeed. That's why this is such a prize! Gaby's under protective custody now, but I was thinking…" he paused and looked at the assembly in the room, making sure he had their attention. "I think Gaby would be useful not only for convicting Phelps, but if the allegations of abuse are true, letting the public hear about this case of house-elf abuse-keeping Gaby anonymous of course-could turn the tide and encourage more rights."

Montgomery paused for effect as the words sunk in. Scamander was smiling and nodding as Hermione furrowed her brow in thought. Harry watched her, fascinated. He never saw anyone who could make thinking mesmerising. She frowned a bit, her eyes didn't focus on anything in particular, but she looked up at the corner of the ceiling and Harry swore he could see the wheels turning in her mind.

"It could … it could work," Hermione finally said, after everyone else in the room jumped on the idea and exclaimed how excellent it was, to Montgomery's delight. Her forefinger tapped her chin as she thought. "This could be quite good. Gaby could represent all the voiceless house-elves, too afraid to come out and say what really happens in some households, put a face to the crime of house-elf abuse." Hermione turned to focus on Montgomery. "I love it! Scamander, don't you think so?"

"Yes, Hermione, I think it's a splendid idea."

The four sat and discussed it for several more minutes. Harry and Ron advised Hermione on the case, how the surveillance of Phelps was going, what evidence they had so far and what Gaby had told them. Hermione asked numerous questions, taking notes with a Quick Notes Quill.

Montgomery finally stood up. "Well, I'm not needed here any longer. Potter, Weasley, give me a full report when you're done. Scamander, thanks for letting me take your time."

"No trouble at all, Montgomery," Scamander replied.

As Montgomery opened the office door, a tall, hook-nosed young man with long black hair and black robes stood in the entranceway, about to knock.

"Krum?" asked Montgomery. "Viktor Krum?"

Before the tall man could respond, Hermione leapt up from her chair, raced across the floor and greeted him with a tight hug.

As Hermione ran across the room, the crush of her hug with Viktor was like a direct punch to Harry's heart. Diverted by the embrace before them, not even Ron noticed his best friend pale and look away.

"Viktor! What a pleasant surprise! I didn't think I'd see you until this afternoon."

"We were able to take an earlier Portkey," Viktor smiled, looking down at the witch who still hugged him tightly. "Moyata lyubov. Imam ste propusnali." He said quietly, stooping down to whisper into her ear. (translation: "my love. I have missed you.")

"Tya e tvÅ­rde dÅ­lgo" (translation: "it has been too long") Hermione replied, when she stepped an arm's length away from him. Harry noticed a sparkle in Hermione's eyes that had not been evident in their own past interactions. He detected a hint of sadness as well, likely due to missing her boyfriend, he thought.

It looked like the Bulgarian was ready to kiss the young witch in his arms, when she laughed lightly and pushed him away. "Viktor, there are some people here for you to meet."

Viktor looked up regretfully and his eyes met Harry's. His eyes narrowed, and he had a tight smile on his lips, then a warmer one. He held out his hand. "Harry Potter. It's been years."

"Since the Triwizard Tournament," Harry answered, shaking hands with the visitor, noting overall that his English had improved considerably since they saw each other last. Stay calm, Potter, he thought to himself.

"Such a long time ago. Good to see you. You work with Hermione?"

Harry, puzzled by Viktor's pronunciation of Hermione's name, almost forgot that Viktor had asked him a question. Hermoninny? Is that how he pronounced her name? thought Harry, but no one else seemed to notice. "Uh, well, yes and no. We might be doing some cross-departmental work."

"Well, if Hermione is doing work for you, you will be impressed. She is the smartest witch of her age."

Hermione laughed and punched Viktor in the arm. "Silly! Glupav! Your mother thought I was quite stupid when I had no idea how to bake a banista!"

"A mind like yours, skupi, can do more than bake pastries."

"Oh, but when we're up late talking and you're quite hungry, you would prefer a cook to a bookworm?" Hermione teased Viktor. They shared a warm look, and Harry tried to deflect, but Montgomery, who had been watching the interaction with great interest, decided it was his time to step in.

"Lionel Montgomery. Magical Law Enforcement. A pleasure to meet you. Everyone knows the famous Viktor Krum."

"I am no Harry Potter," Viktor attempted to joke. Fortunately, Harry laughed, eager to move Viktor's attention away from the young witch.

"You remember Ron Weasley, don't you?" Harry introduced his friend. Viktor looked at Ron with interest.

"Yes, you were the one who told Harry he was `consorting with the enemy' if he ever talked to me."

Ron's cheeks turned as red as his hair. "Uh, I was pretty stupid then. I even thought Harry put his own name in the Goblet. I'm not nearly that stupid now."

"You needed someone smart like Hermione with you," Viktor suggested. Hermione rolled her eyes, but Harry looked intrigued.

"You know, you're right. I could have used Hermione's brains countless times. Luckily we had Dumbledore-"

"Harry, we never knew if it was really Dumbledore-"

"Oh gods, I forgot something," Hermione suddenly interjected, half to herself. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Ron, I was going to say something, but I totally forgot. Oh well. I'm sure I'll remember in the shower or something."

Both Harry and Viktor tried not to think about Hermione's naked body in a shower.

"Lunch," Montgomery once again spoke to ease the discomfort that was creeping in. "Where are you two going for lunch?"

Hermione looked at Viktor who looked at her in equal amazement, then said, "Oh, I hadn't thought that far ahead. I'm just surprised and happy to see you, Viktor."

He patted her arm. "Anywhere with you, skupi."

As Hermione felt the happiness of just being with Viktor, she failed to notice the scowl that was covering Harry's face. But Viktor noticed. He decided to call the bluff. "Would you like to join us?" Viktor asked as Hermione's mouth opened to protest. The Bulgarian quickly and quietly motioned for the witch to stay quiet.

"Well, I don't mind if I-"

"Nonsense! You two obviously haven't seen each other in a while and we'd just get in the way," Ron interrupted Harry before he could embarrass himself further.

Viktor turned to Hermione. "How about the Leaky Cauldron?"

"Nice idea. I never go there for lunch," Hermione replied. Harry fought not to roll his eyes.

The Leaky Cauldron had almost become a euphemism for having a nooner, since the food wasn't the best, but it was the only restaurant open for lunch with bedrooms for rent by the day-or by the hour-upstairs.

Harry glanced at Ron to see if Ron was thinking the same thing. Ron, unable to meet Hermione's eyes, answered, trying not to laugh, "Yes, it can be quite popular with a certain set at lunch."

Montgomery and Scamander seemed amused as well, but Hermione failed to notice. "Sounds lovely. Gentlemen, are we done here? Harry, Ron, I can discuss this more with you later? You'll be around?"

Harry nodded as Ron responded, "Oh yes. Take your time. Don't need to rush these things, reunions and all that."

It was then that Hermione noticed that the atmosphere in the room changed to something, a bit naughty? She glanced at Viktor who looked at her under half-lidded eyes. "Well, we best be off." She grabbed her outdoor robes from the hook behind her door as the group exited her office. Handshakes were exchanged, and the group dispersed.

"Well that got awkward all of a sudden," Hermione said as they waited for a lift.

"You don't know, skupi? I know something the great Hermione Granger does not know?"

Hermione gave his arm a playful bump. "You know lots of things `the great Hermione Granger' does not. When are you going to stop pretending to be just a Quidditch player and show off that brain of yours?"

Viktor looked at Hermione and gave her a look of love that made her stomach do a little flip flop. But why can't I fall in love with this glorious man? she thought.

"You don't know that the Leaky Cauldron is where people … how do you say, go to have sex at lunch?"

Hermione's mouth fell into a large "O" shape. A few seconds passed before she could even speak, so she demonstrated her reaction by punching Viktor in the arm, not a playful tease this time. And she put much more effort into it. He winced and rubbed his arm.

"Skupi! "

"Don't skupi me! You deliberately misled me in front of my boss! And Lionel Montgomery, the head of Magical Law Enforcement! He's second only to Kingsley Shacklebolt himself in power and influence here, and you suggested we were going for a roll in the sack right now! Argh!" Hermione let out her aggressions by pounding his arm a few more times. "Viktor! How dare you! Not funny! I'm trying to make a good impression here and you're ruining it for a laugh!"

Viktor responded by encasing Hermione in his arms as she tried futilely to pound into his chest. "Hermione, I apologise. I will go back and walk right up to Lionel Montgomery and Rolf Scamander, and apologise."

"And what about Harry and Ron?"

Viktor paused. Hermione noticed.

"And what about Harry and Ron?"

"I will tell Ron," Viktor said carefully. "Hermione, do you not think Harry Potter acts differently around you?"

"I have no idea what you mean. I know he acts dreadfully around me. Insults me, scowls quite a bit. He's not usually that way?"

Viktor stared at Hermione before answering. "When I met Harry he was little puny boy forced into a dangerous situation and handled it quite well. I saw that same look today."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"It seems like around you he scowls. You are a dangerous situation."

Hermione looked at Viktor in amazement. "I'm equivalent to a dragon, in Harry Potter's eyes? Viktor, I take back any remarks about your intelligence. That's absurd! It makes no sense. Have you thought that maybe he just dislikes me intensely? That could make his face squinch up just like when he faces a Hungarian Horn-tail."

"I also noticed that he face did not `squinch up' as you say, until after I mentioned the Leaky Cauldron." Viktor paused for effect, but Hermione just stared.

"Meaning …?"

"Oh the great Hermione Granger cannot add two plus two? He's jealous, skupi. He is jealous of us."

"He wants to date you? Well go right ahead. I have no claim on you and I'm all for equal rights regardless of sexual orientation-"

"Do not joke, Hermione. He wants you."

"Ridiculous! Viktor, have you been hit by too many Bludgers? Fallen off your broom too many times? The man hates me. If he liked me, I would think he'd be flirting with me, you know, actually acting nice around me? Maybe complementing me? Making it so that I enjoy his company? Instead of the exact opposite?" Hermione shook her head. "I take back my remarks about your intellect, Viktor, and maintain you have fallen on your head too many times. Now, tell me about your season. How are the Vratsa Vultures? Do you think you'll make it to the Cup next year?"

Viktor smiled. He knew when Hermione wanted to distract him, she would mention Quidditch. And it usually worked. "Skupi, I'm sure you already know the answer to our prospects this year. What you may not know is that this may be my last year."

"No!" They had arrived at the Leaky Cauldron and Hermione could not help but survey the attendees and wonder which of them would be headed upstairs for a nooner. Or perhaps those with the desire to be horizontal skipped the food in the pub altogether and went straight upstairs, perhaps through a secret entrance? But Viktor's announcement brought her back to their conversation, and she could not continue until they were seated and had ordered. Without much thought, Hermione cast a silencing charm around them.

"Viktor, why? I'm sure you're not going to be fired, you're still in the papers here as the best Seeker ever-"

"I'm sure if Potter played professionally he would take that title away from me-"

"And I haven't read of any career-ending injuries. Do you have another career in mind? Some sort of major life event that made you change your perspective and you need out of Quidditch? An early mid-life crisis perhaps?"

"Hermione," Viktor spoke her name slowly, with great affection, his accent increasing with each syllable as he held her hands on the table. "You seem so scared. No, I must allay your fears immediately. I have not been seriously injured. I have not had a `mid-life crisis' as you say. I am not about to be fired. I have just realised that I have played professional Quidditch for a decade now. I am getting old. One of the oldest on the team. I want to retire while I am still good, before I become a second stringer and a very sad one, too."

"But if you retire, what will you do?"

"Perhaps I should use `that brilliant mind of mine'? I wanted to discuss that and a few other things with you." Viktor brought his head closer to Hermione, and she leaned forward to listen, realising the action was unneeded with the silencing charm, but a natural reaction in the situation of a confidence about to be shared. "Now, you must not share this with anyone, but I know I can trust you. I think I found a way to use Arithmancy in Quidditch."

Hermione's eyes lit up in enthusiasm. "Really! What a fabulous idea! I wonder why I hadn't thought of it myself!"

Viktor smiled and shook his head. "That's why I wanted to pick your brain, if you don't mind assisting the enemy."

Hermione smiled and shook her head in return. "You're not the enemy. I am not beholden to any team."

"But if we're in the World Cup and Bulgaria plays Britain or France?"

Hermione repeated her earlier smiling and shaking of head. "My loyalty is to my friends, not a country. Tell me what you've discovered so far."

They spent the next forty-five minutes deep in discussion about how to use the Arithmantic use of numbers to determine the best in offense and defence in certain situations involving the movement of Snitches, Quaffles and Bludgers. Quill and parchment were produced for formulae and diagrams.

When there was a natural pause in their conversation, both leaned back and took a deep breath, looking at each other. Hermione thought about how much she enjoyed these discussions with Viktor, how he never ceased to amaze her, how he was one of the few people to match her intellect, other than Fleur, Bill, Laurent and a few of her friends and professors at Beauxbatons. And Dumbledore and McGonagall, she thought sadly as well, remembering when she first learned of the headmaster's murder.

Viktor spoke his thoughts, "I so enjoy spending time with you, moyata lyubov."

Hermione smiled at such a term of endearment. Viktor knew she felt a bit uncomfortable when he called her my love, but she hated to correct or reprimand him when he spoke his heart.

"So, that is another reason why I am considering retiring. You said before that you did not want a boyfriend who travelled so much-"

"Really Viktor, that's not exactly what I said. I merely mentioned in an ideal world-"

"You would want someone closer to home who did not have so many groupies." He watched her face twist as he spoke the truth bluntly. "And who was not always in the spotlight. Always in newspapers and magazines." He leaned closer to her but she did not respond in kind. She sat very still, suddenly dreading what his next words might be.

"Obicham, what if I was never in the papers? What if I only travelled occasionally, to help the team? What if I stayed out of the spotlight and worked behind the scenes. I do not think the newspapers and magazines would photograph who I was dating all the time. They would not criticise my love for such shallowness as looks or citizenship."

Hermione swallowed and tried to keep her face impassive. It was difficult. She knew he was referring to the Bulgarian papers and how mercilessly they wrote about her looks, and how it wasn't right that their Quidditch star would be romancing a plain ordinary English girl.

Hermione remembered well when she spent several weeks with Viktor in his family estate in Bulgaria, how his family tried hard to hide the papers from her, and then mislead her on the translation. They did not know she could charm the paper into English and could read how her hair, her body, even her chin was discussed with such venom. She felt like a prized pig. No, not a prized pig, but the ugly, unwanted pig. Even her thighs were deemed too large for their beloved star! They worried about children of such an alliance. Hermione was certainly not a vain young woman and she was quite aware of her shortcomings in appearance, but to have them discussed so openly, so blatantly, so publicly in a national newspaper! She would have rather been called Mudblood and forgotten. But the jibes were so personal. She ended their relationship, but insisted that the press think he ended it with her.

"Hermione," Viktor reached over to grab her hands, which were twisting in her lap. "My love. My dearest dearest Hermione. You know my feelings for you have never changed. I would arry you today if I could. You're the only one for me. No one else comes close. I tried dating models. I tried dating anyone but Hermione Granger, but no one is you."

Hermione kept her gaze away from Viktor, at the far wall where she could see a couple furtively sneak up some hidden stairway in the shadows. So that's where it is….

"Hermione, I would do anything for you. I want the world to know how beautiful-" Hermione shook her head viciously and Viktor answered in a stronger, more pronounced voice as he rubbed his thumb against her hand "-how beautiful you are inside and out. I want to live with you. I want to be with you. I want everything for you.

"We can live in Bulgaria. I can work with the Vultures and you can work with the Ministry, or do consulting work. You are becoming internationally famous for your civil rights work, skupi. You could easily work with different governments about increasing their civil rights of magical creatures. Or you could be a healer. Or a professor. You could be anything you wish, skupi. And I would be a trainer for the Vultures. I would travel occasionally, but I promise that I could Apparate home every night."

Hermione took a breath and finally moved her eyes to meet his. She hated to break his heart, but she had to speak the truth. "Then you must know that my feelings for you have not changed. I love you, but not in the same way you love me."

Her heart sank watching the pain in his eyes, but he continued to rub his thumb on her hand. "I knew you would say that. I thought about it. But you do love me?" She nodded. "Respect me?" Nods again. "Trust me?" Nods. "Most marriages start with much less than that. Arranged marriages-"

"I'll not have an arranged marriage!"

"Arranged marriages among purebloods have much less than that," he repeated, "only family connections, not even respect. We have so much more. The only thing lacking is romantic love on one side." When Hermione did not comment, he continued.

"So, when did you plan to marry, Hermione? I know now would be too soon. But when, in your life plan?"

"Thirty. Thirty-two at the latest," she answered, not surprised he knew her well enough that she had planned this as well.

"So at thirty-three, if you have not found a soulmate, marry me."

Hermione paused. It was actually a good plan, something that appealed to her reason. It did make sense. If she could not find a true love in eight years, why not marry Viktor? She was sure her feelings for him would not change, and vice versa. It was a brilliant idea.

Her thoughts must have registered on her face because Viktor broke into a grin. "Yes? Yes! Splendid! Ura! You have made me very happy man! In eight years we will wed!"

"Viktor, yes, I will marry you in eight years if I do not find my soulmate or true love. But that's a big "if"."

"I will accept it. We should celebrate!"

"No! And don't even think to call me your fiancée!"

He reached across the table and gave her a kiss on the lips. "There. It's, how you say, sealed with a kiss." He looked triumphant, but Hermione felt a hint of sadness that there was no thrill when they kissed, no heart melting or toes curling. It was a nice kiss (Viktor was a good kisser, she didn't even want to think about the opportunities he had to practice), but it wasn't the kiss of true love.

She studied his face. Dark, brooding eyes, large hooked nose, high cheekbones, taken together he was a handsome man. She knew his body was Quidditch tight, with just the right amount of chest hair to be masculine but not like a guerrilla. It could be worse, settling for this not-romantic-love match. She would be settling for a star Quidditch player (not that that was important), who was handsome (not overly important), smart (quite important), well-mannered (quite important), who loved her to death (very important). His family treated her well. She knew they would have preferred a local girl and a pureblood for him, but at least they accepted her because they knew she made him happy. His sisters were quite kind and his older brother already seemed to assume she would be Hermione Krum one day. It could be worse. She had a sudden image of Harry's scowling face across from her. Much worse.

When they returned to the Ministry and Viktor said goodbye to her in the lobby, he suddenly noticed a familiar face. "Weasley!" he said.

Hermione turned around to see the affable Auror coming their way with a smile. "Krum. Hermione. How was lunch?"

Hermione thought she saw a twinkle in his eye and needed to correct that immediately. "No one told me that the Leaky Cauldron was known for liaisons. Viktor let me in on the secret when we got there. I was mortified!"

Ron eyes lit in amusement. "I was surprised that a witch as smart as you didn't know something even a fourth year would know."

"I don't spend enough time with you lot corrupting my innocence."

Viktor pulled her close and kissed the top of her head. "Skupi, when we are married I plan to corrupt all your innocence." Hermione's face quickly shifted from amusement to shock then anger.

"Viktor-"she scolded, but was interrupted by Ron.

"Marriage? Congratulations to you both!" Ron appeared genuinely happy for them and shook their hands.

"No! No, we're not engaged. Viktor proposed and I said if there's no one else in eight years-"

"Eight years! That's a long way away. And that's not terribly romantic at all."

"With Hermione there is not much romance. She is a very practical girl whom I must pursue in a practical way."

"Hush! I can speak for myself. We're very good friends who are very dear to each other. If in eight years my biological clock is going off, we'll be together."

Ron wrinkled his nose. "You're not in love?"

"No"

"Yes."

They answered simultaneously, those monosyllabic responses telling Ron everything he needed to know about their relationship. He appeared troubled. How dreadful to love her, yet not be loved in return, he thought.

"Well, then, uh, best be off. Congratulations, or not. I'm not sure what the etiquette in this situation is."

"The etiquette is that Viktor shouldn't have said anything. We're not engaged. We're not even boyfriend and girlfriend. We're back to where we were, but with the potential of marriage in eight years. Eight years. That's a long way off."

Ron watched Viktor's face fall a little when Hermione emphasised that they were not boyfriend and girlfriend, and how quickly the Bulgarian hid his emotions. I certainly don't want to be in that situation, he thought.

"Well, I'm off. Krum, are you going to the ball I'm hosting Saturday? Not sure if I sent an invite …"

"Yes, Ginny hand delivered it herself. Seemed quite determined I should attend."

Hermione's eyes narrowed. Why was Ginny so keen that Viktor be there? Did she have designs on him? She seemed quite attached to Harry. Did her feelings change?

"Really? Well, my sister can be quite efficient when it comes to party planning. Good! Look forward to seeing you. You're coming, aren't you, Hermione?"

"Of course," she smiled and answered with cool efficiency as her mind raced, analysing this new development. Ginny and Viktor? How did she feel about it? Not jealousy, just that it seemed so wrong. But why?

***

Next chapter: the Netherfield Ball!

Please read and review!!

-->