Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Second Strike by gti88
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Second Strike

gti88

A/N: PK recently experienced some technical difficulties, it seems...it took down some chapters, which I will upload with this one...on a second note, some reviews also went missing, so if you'd like to leave your thoughts once more, I'd appreciate it...thank you. DUE TO THE DAMAGE CAUSED BY PK'S COLLAPSE, CHAPTER 1-19 HAVE BEEN RE-UPLOADED.

Chapter XIX: Rosa Canina

Peeking between the branches and through the window, the sun woke Regulus early the following morning. He had had a strange dream involving himself, the Forbidden Forest and a cloaked figure he could not recognize. What he remembered most vividly, however, was the feeling of helpless panic that become increasingly pervading...

Andromeda turned in her sleep beside him and settled on top of his arm. He didn't mind, it was as asleep as her. He tried to shift his thoughts to the amazing girl beside him, but still could not quite shake the terrible feeling of the dream.

She shifted again, but this time opened her eyes. "Morning."

Her voice snapped him from his reverie. "Good morning," he smiled. "Sleep well?"

"Very, I could get used to it here," she told him. "How about you?"

"I did too," he decided to forgo the disturbing details.

She laid her head on his chest and looked up at him. He caught her gaze, smiled, but didn't say anything.

Downstairs, Harry was already busy pacing around, exchanging short, impatient words with Ron and Charlie. With Charlie's help he had determined that the flower in question was called Rosa Canina, or the common dog rose, as he told him later. Harry had complained at himself for not picking up on that quicker.

Ron could not understand why his best friend was agitated to begin with, but checked his curiosity, since he knew Harry would tell him sooner than later. Charlie was busy telling him about a particular spot in the Carpathian Mountains, east of Cluj. They would have to go the city first, Charlie said, to pick up needed supplies for the expedition, but Apparating there would not be an issue.

Draco sauntered in, still largely asleep, but awoken by Harry's restlessness.

"What's the racket about? Can't a person get some shuteye here?" he rubbed his face.

"Morning to you too," Ron said, "Harry's having a breakdown."

"Not a breakdown, Ron," Harry told him dryly, "the next full moon is tonight. I want to make sure we make at least some progress while we're here, and being way from the ministry for too long - "

"Alright, I get it," Ron cut across him.

"Fine," Charlie intervened, "I'll get my people to prepare for Regulus' transformation. I'll go with you, Harry, to find the flower, and Ron and Draco can come with us if they wish."

"Perfect plan," Harry said. "But right after breakfast."

"Now he's normal," Ron told Draco under his breath.

"Scrambled eggs, anyone?" Charlie gladly delved into the change of topic.

Not a few minutes later, the better halves of the company appeared from dreamland, possibly less awake than Draco had been. "Morning," Hermione muttered.

"I can't believe they're up before us," Ginny remarked as she managed to open her eyes fully.

"Coffee?" Charlie held up the sizable pot.

"Please," all the women present agreed unanimously.

"Charlie, how is that girl you were telling me about a few weeks ago?" Ginny inquired of her older brother, as the company sat down and the scrambled eggs were passed around.

"How is she?" he echoed her. "She's alright. Why?"

"Well, we've all been wondering how long you were going to stay single. You know, time is flying."

"You needn't worry about it," he smiled conspiratorially, "I'm waiting on twins."

"You what?" Somebody dropped a fork in shock.

"How long?

"When?"

"Congratulations!"

He patiently waited for the shock to subside. "So far so good, two more months till they come into the world."

"And this is the same girl?"

"Yes."

"Where is she?"

"Down in the city. She went to see her mother for a few days."

"Her family is also here?" Hermione said in delight.

"Yes, indeed," Charlie nodded. "Worked out really well for all of us."

"Have you told Mum and Dad yet?"

"Not yet, Ron," Charlie told him, "I want to keep it a surprise for a while longer, so keep it under wraps for now."

"Can I tell them when we go back to England?" Ginny beamed.

"Maybe I'll call them and do it myself," Charlie wondered aloud. "But sure, if you'd like."

"Mate, can you pass the coffee pot," Ron asked of Harry and his best friend obliged.

"When is your girl coming back?"

"Today, actually," Charlie looked at his watch to confirm the date, "I'll introduce you all when she comes back, but to let you know ahead of time, her name is Esmeralda."

"Esmeralda," Harry repeated. "That's a very nice name."

"Thank you."

"Mate, no, you can't," Albus voice drifted from the hallway leading into the kitchen, as he was talking to Otto about something, "do you have any idea what she would do to you?"

"Well, you did it," Otto rebutted him, "and she loved it, didn't she?"

"Yeah, but you don't know Jane."

"And you do?"

Albus did not have time to reply when they walked in the kitchen. Six more chairs, especially for the young'uns in the crowd, were waiting for them between Charlie and Ginny.

"Morning, boys," Ron acknowledged them. "Help yourselves, the breakfast is good!"

"Thanks, Mr. Weasley," Albus said and motioned Otto to sit down.

"Where are Holly and Jane?" Ginny asked them both.

"Sleeping," Otto explained, "they wouldn't get up for some reason, so we came down and left them in peace."

"Alright then, join in before there's no more breakfast left," she said.

Holly and Jane descended into the kitchen eventually, but when they appeared, only Otto and Albus were left at the table. The day had started for most of those involved and suspiciously, only Regulus and Andromeda had not surfaced.

"Finally," Otto said. "Morning."

"Hey," Jane yawned. "What's for breakfast?"

"Scrambled eggs," her significant other replied. "Pull up a chair."

**

Charlie had insisted that the trip to the Carpathians happen after Esmeralda came back from town, and she did around midday, as he had said. After the usual pleasantries and introductions, she was suddenly overcome by the tiredness so common to expectant mothers, and Charlie saw her to their bedroom where she could sleep.

"Not sure whether it will be a boy or girl yet," he answered the consecutive question, "but I would honestly be happy with either."

"Not a boy?"

"Girls are better."

"Boy, or girl, it will be my child," he crossed off the passions, "and I'll take care of it. Now, about our little trip - "

"You, me and Ron," Harry said. "There's no point making this party too big."

"Fair enough," Charlie nodded. "Draco?"

"I do want to come, yes," he said, casting a cool glance in Harry's direction.

"Very well, let's not waste anymore time," Charlie's impatience surfaced. "We should wrap this up before dark."

"How far do we need to apparate?" Harry asked him.

"Two hundred kilometres," Charlie told him.

"Not bad," Harry turned it over in his mind, "but we were going to go to the town first."

"Exactly."

"Keep an eye on Regulus," Draco told Ginny. "He might transform at any point after sunset."

"Maybe you should stay behind," she looked at him meaningfully. "Just in case."

Her request made him pause. Maybe this was a good idea, he told himself, after all he was able to restrain a werewolf and there was no guarantee what Regulus would do after he transformed.

"Did you finish that enclosure for him?" he asked Charlie.

"Yes, it's in the basement," Charlie said. "I showed it to Ginny and Hermione this morning; they can give you the tour before tonight."

"Alright," Draco nodded. "What time should we put him in there?"

"Before sunset," Charlie told him sternly. "To minimize the risk, you know."

"Of course," Draco said. "Fine, I'll stay behind."

Ginny looked visibly relieved. "Thank you."

"Don't be too long now," he implored the other three men of the group on his own turn.

"No worries, we'll be quick," Charlie assured him. "I've been to the area before."

With a final goodbye, Charlie, Harry and Ron twisted on their respective heels and disappeared with loud cracks into thin air.

Despite the more southern latitude, November was colder in the mountains than it was in Britain. Ron pulled his coat tighter around himself. "Bloody," he muttered, shielding himself against the wind.

"There is no way we are going to find a dog rose in this weather," the redhead complained, wiping his face from the now falling rain.

"All we need is the root," Charlie spoke into the wind, making Ron strain his ears to catch his words, "I can use magical means to make it grow."

"You know what it looks like?" Harry wanted to be sure Charlie knew what he was doing, even though he trusted him fully.

"Don't patronize me, Harry," the second eldest Weasley did not take the bait.

"Sorry."

"Over this way," Charlie waved for the other two to follow him and he led the way towards a rock outcropping that promised some shelter from the gale.

"I can't see the flower anywhere," Ron said once they were huddled behind the boulder in relative isolation from the strengthening wind.

"I have it, don't worry," Charlie opened his coat to reveal a root and stem in his inside pocket. "This is not the reason I brought you here."

"It's not?"

"No."

"Then why?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Do you notice the wind?" Charlie asked rhetorically.

"How could we not," Ron told him. "What are you getting at?"

"The wind isn't natural," Charlie stated simply.

"What do you mean?" Harry did not quite comprehend. "It's a strong wind, just like anywhere else in the world."

"Except these parts," he explained, "the strongest winds recorded here do not even approach the strength of this gale."

"Alright, let's give you the benefit of the doubt for the moment," Harry conceded, "what do you think is causing it?"

"Dark magic," Charlie told him unemotionally. "I've seen Unspeakables here and around the town, but not in it, yet."

"How do you know about Unspeakables?"

"You're not the only one with connections," Charlie told his brother dryly. "They've been active here for a while."

"What else do you know about them?" Harry quickly grew suspicious.

"Somebody is pulling the strings from England, this is obvious," Charlie rejoined, "but I can't say who it is, because I don't know."

"Why did nobody bother to inform us they were operating this far out?" Ron turned to Harry.

"I thought the Ministry had agents in the Balkans," Harry tried to remember some particular piece of information. "Hermione and Ginny would know for sure, we should ask them."

"How localized are these winds?" Ron inquired of his brother.

"Very," Charlie said, "they appear and disappear very rapidly usually. Typically means that one of them Unspeakabels is around here somewhere."

"So you're saying we're hiding."

"Precisely," Charlie nodded. "Watch the clearing now."

Right as he had given the instruction, the wind had begun to die down significantly as suddenly as it had appeared when they had apparated to the area.

"How do you know when and where they meet?"

"My job requires extensive travel," Charlie replied, "I meet people who give me information and you know how sensitive dragons are."

"Maybe we should bring you into the intelligence fold at the Ministry," Ron suggested.

Charlie, nor Harry, had the chance to reply as several of the hooded figures materialized in the clearing.

The three of them fell silent, exchanged uncertain looks and focused on the scene unfolding before them.

"Did you check the area?" one of them asked the other.

"Three apparations departing from the area," said the other. "We should be safe."

Ron looked at his brother, but the latter only smiled knowingly.

"When did they say they were going to arrive?"

"This mysterious great lord, or whatever they call him, is coming with them."

"I could care less who is coming, I'm asking you when they're coming here."

"That kind of language will get you killed one of these days," the other said tastelessly. "Five-ten minutes from now."

"Good," the second Unspeakable replied rather waspishly.

"Tone it down," the first chastised him. "My skin is riding with yours, you prat. Get that through your thick skull."

"Bugger off, I didn't ask to be part of this."

"The family's fate depends on us doing this, whether you like it or not," came the exasperated and slightly defeated reply. "Whoever this fuck is, we have to give the respect. I know, our situation is less than ideal, but there is no alternative."

"There's always an alternative."

"Be quiet, they're coming," his brother clenched his fist with a wince. "Bow down like they instructed us."

Not a moment after both were kneeling on the ground, the same unnatural wind picked up and in a flash of a bright yellow light, an entire delegation materialized from the air.

From behind the massive boulder concealing them, Harry, Ron and Charlie caught their first glimpse of Anu. His tall, almost ethereal figure drifted forward amid several of his kind flanking him and alongside them, more representatives of the Unspeakables, only one of which was not wearing his hood.

Harry's eyes shot wide. He knew that person, he was arrested in a raid some years back when the Aurors busted a black market artefact operation -

What fascinated him more, however, were the tall beings - they seemed very intelligent and did not fit the description of any magical creatures he knew about.

"They do, yes," Kamm said, turning to Anu.

"Stand up!" he barked at the two brothers.

"Sir," one said completely neutrally while the other clenched his fists again to suppress his anger.

"You have the information?"

"Yes."

"You have confirmed Charlie Weasley's presence?"

"Yes," he replied in the same neutral tone.

"You are to assemble your team to eliminate him tomorrow, as per your observations. The Great Lord Anu," he indicated the being behind him, "and myself will be supervising this operation."

"Yessir."

"That is all. You are free to go."

Modestly, the brothers rose, bowed once again and right on the spot, apparated back to wherever they had come from.

For a moment, Anu looked straight at the boulder, behind which Harry, Ron and Charlie were hiding.

"My lord?" Kamm prompted him.

The alien being looked down at Kamm.

"Very good, I hope they do not disappoint as well." There was, however, a barely noticeable note of uncertainty in Kamm's voice.

Without any further ado, Anu and those he came with simply faded into thin air and the Unspeakables were the only ones left behind.

"Kamm!" Mihailov angrily flipped his hood back. "What was that!"

"What do you mean, you idiot!" Kamm was no less confrontational.

"That last bit," Mihailov snapped. "What was that?"

"I'm not certain what you mean," Kamm imposed restraint on himself.

"Who's in control?" Mihailov lowered his voice as well, but the edge did not go away. "We or them?"

"We're equal partners," Kamm told him coldly. "Or do you not realize that yet? We signed a damn agreement."

"Who are you trying to convince?" Mihailov challenged him still. "Us or yourself?"

"What in the blazes are you saying?"

"You're losing your touch, Kamm," Mihailov told him, "they're getting more independent with each passing day. Why did we come together, but they left without any warning? Huh? Tell me!"

"Crucio!"

Not expecting the curse, Mihailov's expression went from anger to shock and in the next moment, was down on the ground, writhing in pain.

"You are not to question me," Kamm walked next to his squirming body. "I am the leader of this organization and my commands are meant to be obeyed, not questioned."

He left Mihailov to deal with his pain and pointed his wand to another of the Unspeakables in attendance. "Avada Kedavra!"

The masked crony fell to the ground without a whimper. The others did not budge, though cold sweat must have been accumulating at their respective brows at this point.

"Do you see, Jones?" Kamm said. "This will happen to you and Mihailov the next time you dare challenge me to this extent."

"Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir," Jones gave him the formal bow, though his jaws visibly clenched as he did so.

"Crucio!"

"Am I clear, Mihailov?"

The latter's screams, filling the air in the approaching dusk, served to confirm the positive response to that rhetorical question.

"Let's get out of here," Kamm lost interest in his writhing subject. "Where are we staying, again?"

"Cluj, sir," Jones replied cautiously.

"Good," Kamm seemed to regain his normal calm demeanour. "Let's go. Take this scumbag with you."

One by one, the hooded figures apparated from the clearing and the quietness that was there before the unexpected visit, returned.

"What in the hell was all that about?" Ron burst out from behind the rock. "Who do they think they are!"

"I think we just got our first look at who we're dealing with, Ron. Everything going on in England - this is big." Harry sounded feverish and scared.

"It is them," Charlie said definitively. "I didn't know I've been a target for a while now."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Ron jumped at his brother. "We could have apprehended these bastards on time!"

"Do you know what Unspeakables do when they're captured?" Charlie raised an eyebrow at the two best friends.

"Burn up and die," Harry's memory flashed the scene from their interrogation in the dungeons of the Ministry. "Of course!"

"Exactly," Charlie said.

"Then how did you know they were interested in you?" Ron asked him.

"I've seen them watching me," Charlie said, "so I did a little field work of my own. You know, not all of them are terribly bright."

"What do you know about them?" Harry asked him.

"They're brothers, as you might have found out. They're Muggle born, and they come from a poor family...mother passed away shortly after the second one was born and the father is a chronic alcoholic. They haven't had any way of realizing themselves, so when the Unspeakables came here about six months ago, they were among the first to sign up."

"Wow, you know quite a lot about them," Harry said.

"Part of my job," Charlie smiled, "I already work for the Ministry."

"Why did I not know that then," Harry asked. "I'm the head of the damn department."

"I'm not on official record," Charlie's expression turned serious. "You only know about half of the agents not on record. The other half work under deep cover, though they still feed the information that finds its way to your desk."

"That needs to change," Harry looked squarely to him, "as soon as we return to England."

"So what do we do about them?"

"I'll be honest, I didn't know I was a target until tonight."

"So how did you know about this meeting then?" Ron asked him suddenly.

"Like I said, I follow them around too," Charlie said. "I have my ways of obtaining information too."

"Charlie," harry told him quite seriously, "I'm going to need a report from you on what exactly your methods are. If we can use your intelligence more robustly, that would be much appreciated."

"Yes, but he protocols of the agency prohibit it," Charlie replied. "Unless we can do it unofficially."

"The protocols will change, you have my word," Harry assured him, "I'll make it happen once I'm back."

"No worries about that," Ron interjected once more, "but we still don't know what we're doing about the house."

"Do you know when they might strike you?" Harry asked.

"I have ideas," Charlie looked down, "but I don't know when or where they'll attack me."

"Alright then," Ron said. "Take Esmeralda and keep a low profile in town tonight - rent a room, that will keep you safe for today and tomorrow."

"I just might do that," Charlie agreed, "in the meanwhile, my home is your home, so don't hesitate."

"Thank you," Ron said. "Better get going then, we don't want to put you in any more risk than you have to be in."

"One more thing," Charlie paused. He bent down and took the plant at his feet by the root. "For your little furry problem."

"Ah, thanks," Harry remembered what they had initially come for here. "Good thinking."

"You're welcome. Now we can go."

The three of them disappeared with consecutive cracks, leaving the clearing as still and dead as before.

A/N: This update took too long, I know...November is a killer month for essays - not recommended for your health.

-->