Unofficial Portkey Archive

Being The Best Man by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Being The Best Man

ShellyLove

Author's Note: Hey everyone! This is my newest fic, it's gonna be a longer than my others. I've just started writing so with school and work; my updates could be longer apart than I'm planning on. So please bear with me. I hope you enjoy! Reviews would be wonderful.

Love, Shelly.<3

Disclaimer: J.K. wrote Harry Potter, not me.

It was any other night, any other dinner, any other date. They laughed and spoke about their day, eyes shining with love as they listened intently to the other. The waiter took their orders and poured each a glass of red wine. She knew he was up to something, his eyes gleamed with mischief across the table, showing only a hint of smile throughout the entire meal. Smiling to herself, she humored him, acting as if she didn't suspect a thing.

Opposite her, his fingers fiddled with the napkin in his lap as he waited for the maître'd to return and ask about dessert, though the young French gentleman already knew what the young man had planned. He straightened his tie nervously as he listened to her singsong voice in sweet rapture, his doubts melting away as he met her eyes.

"Fancy dessert tonight monsieur, mademoiselle?" asked the young dark-haired waiter in his think French accent.

Without hesitation, the young man answered "We'll have champagne and a slice of your best cheesecake with raspberry drizzle," smiling at his female counterpart.

The waiter smiled and with a nod disappeared with their dishes, leaving the couple alone again. She placed a small hand on his and smiled, "you remembered."

He took her hand in his and squeezed it gently, a grin spreading across his handsome face. "Of course I did, love. I even remembered the drizzle," he responded causing her to laugh softly.

She simply adored him; he was kind, funny, charming and handsome in his own goofy way and she loved him for it. The pair sat in a comfortable silence, his fingers tracing small patterns on her soft skin. He sat entranced at the woman before him, his heart hammering against his ribs.

The young Frenchman returned and filled their glasses with sparkling champagne and set the delectable slice of cheesecake in front of the young woman. Her hear began to race as her eyes found the diamond ring nestled in the depths of her favorite French dessert.

Stunned, she raised her eyes to find him on his knee beside her chair. He removed the ring from the cheesecake and cleaned it with a napkin before holding it before him, his eyes locked on hers.

"Luna, you are the woman I wish to spend the rest of my life with. Will you give me the honor of being your husband?" he spoke, his deep voice ringing throughout the now silent restaurant.

Luna's pale grey eyes filled as she placed a hand on his cheek, "Yes, Ronald. I will," she answered smiling.

He took her left hand and slid the ring onto her finger before brushing his lips lightly across her knuckles. Ron stood and brought his fiancée to him and paced a chaste kiss on her lips. The diners of the restaurant burst into applause and when the clapping quieted the couple settled down to eat the sweetest dessert of their lives.

Hermione Granger got to her feet, leaving her comfortable couch and book behind as she made her way to the hurried knocking on her door. "I'm coming!" she called hoping the knocking would cease, it didn't. She grasped the doorknob and opened the door to see her best friend Luna Lovegood grinning like an idiot on a pale purple cocktail dress. "Luna? I thought you were out to dinner with Ron?" Hermione asked smiling at her friend. Luna pushed her way inside and dragged Hermione to the living room of Hermione's flat, her smile growing even wider as she turned to her longtime friend.

"Luna, what's going on?" Hermione questioned, laughing softly. Luna held her hand in front of her face, her palm hiding one twinkling grey eye. Hermione's toffee brown eyes found the diamond ring adorning Luna's left hand ring finger and screamed. The two young witches jumped up and down laughing and hugging. Once the giggling calmed the two girls settled on the couch. Hermione tucked her pajama clad legs under her body as she turned to Luna, who had anchored herself to the couch, her bare feet resting on the oak coffee table.

"How did he ask?" Hermione asked taking her friend's hands in her own excitedly.

Luna recounted the entire evening from start to finish, grinning from ear to ear and ending with "You will be my maid of honor won't you?"

Hermione smiled, "Of course, Luna! I cannot wait to get started. Dresses, flowers, trousseau, guest lists; this is going to be great."

Across London, in he and Luna's flat sat Ronald Weasley writing a letter to his best mate. He dragged a hand through his red hair as he wrote hoping the letter would convince Harry Potter to return home. No one had seen Harry in four years, just a few short weeks after the fall of Voldemort. Though Harry kept in touch through letters it wasn't the same, Ron had returned to home and wished to go out to a pub with his friend to celebrate his engagement.

In the weeks following the war Harry and Ron had completed Auror training, graduating at the top of their class. Harry sent word for everyone to gather for a party at his flat. This party, it turned out, was Harry's going away party. He explained that he had been offered a place in the Auror Department in the States and he was leaving the next day.

Everyone understood that Harry needed space from England, from the fame, from everything that he'd faced over the years. No one, not even Ron and Hermione, could have imagined he would stay away this long. Ron sat at the kitchen counter hoping his friend would return to take his place as best man at their wedding. A small pop yanked Ron from his reverie and a pair of small arms wrapped around his waist from behind. He felt her lower her head to the shoulder of his suit jacket and her dreamy voice say "He'll come back."

Ron finished the letter and called their owl, Achilles, from his perch in the small office at the end of the hall. "I hope you're right, Luna," he replied kissing Luna's cheek before tying the letter to the dark brown owl and sending him out into the late-January night. The couple retreated to the living room, warmed by the bright fire and settled down on the couch. Luna sat curled into Ron's side, her feet tangled with his on the floor. Ron wrapped a strong arm around her shoulder and smiled, "What'd Hermione think?"

Luna laughed softly, "We had girl talk, Ron. You know I can't tell you what was said."

Ron caught her eye and pouted, "Hey, I'm your fiancée now."

Luna placed a soft kiss on his lips, "Darling, girl talk doesn't care," she replied smirking,

"Oh, really?" Ron asked, laughing as he caught her lips in a fiery kiss before he lifted her in his arms and carried her to their bedroom.