Unofficial Portkey Archive

Being The Best Man by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Being The Best Man

ShellyLove

Hermione stood in front of the mirror assessing the fitting cobalt blue cocktail dress she'd chosen for the engagement party at the Burrow. It had been a week since Luna brought her the news; she couldn't believe how fast time had flown since Hogwarts. Hermione's intelligent gaze searched her reflection from the black heels to her shoulder-length mahogany curls that fell gracefully around her face. She turned from the mirror and crossed her bedroom to the bay window and peered out into the late afternoon sky.

The sun had fought clouds all day, trying to peek through the gray haze that frequented the United Kingdom most winters. Hermione found herself reminiscing about the different, beautiful skies that she, Ron and Harry had slept under on their hunt for Horcruxes. His face swam into her mind as she remembered the party when he'd said goodbye. Hermione shook the thoughts from her mind and turned from the window.

The young witch had just slid her black jacket over her shoulders when a soft pop echoed through her empty flat. "Hermione, you ready darling?" came a gruff, smiling voice from her kitchen. Hermione made her way to the kitchen after a brief "yes." Dressed in a neat black suit stood Jason Griffiths, her boyfriend of five months, stood in the kitchen. Jason had come under Hermione's care in St. Mungo's after he'd been injured in a raid on known Death Eaters that were still evading the Aurors. What had started out as a good friendship had flourished into the best relationship Hermione had ever had.

He greeted her with a broad smile that crinkled the corners of his bright brown eyes. "You look gorgeous, love," he said crossing the room and laying a kiss on her cheek.

"Thank you," Hermione replied blushing. She reached a small hand and flattened his disheveled brown hair. "You're hair always gets messed up when you apparate, but you clean up nicely, Jason," she said smiling.

He laughed and struck a model pose causing Hermione to laugh loudly, "I know, I'm just so handsome," he joked kissing her lightly on the lips.

Hermione smiled against his lips and pulled away, "It's time we left," she stated taking his hand. The couple vanished with a small pop.

Across the Atlantic, in an apartment I New York sat 21 year-old Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Conquered. The young man stood on the balcony of his apartment overlooking the city, a letter clutched in his hand. His mind swam with different emotions as his mind repeated the sentences from his best mate once more.

Harry,

I hope all is well with you, mate. I have some news for you, I'm engaged. Popped the question tonight at dinner and can you believe it, mate, she said yes. We're planning on a short engagement so there's a lot to be done. You're my best man, Harry. There's no one else I'd have beside me. It'd mean the world to us if you'd come and take your place. Though, I understand you hate the limelight and are probably enjoying being in the States, where not everyone knows who you are. Hope to hear from you soon.

Your Friend,

Ron

The wind ruffled Harry's jet-black hair as he walked back inside his modest apartment off Times Square. I cannot believe Ron's getting married, that mean, he thought to himself, silencing the thought before it even began. Nodding to himself, he waved his wand and packed the contents of his apartment into suitcases. He was moving back to London, even he couldn't believe it. Harry quickly called up his landlord and canceled his lease, then called his boss and asked for a transfer back to the Ministry of Magic. It's not as if Harry had made roots in the States, it was just a way to escape and forget.

Now even that period was over, it was time to return home to his friends, his old life, to her. Harry apparated with a small pop, picturing the red phone booth that led underground to the Ministry of Magic, ready to see everyone he'd left behind.

The Burrow was bustling with people as the sun began to fall to the horizon. Everyone had come out to celebrate the engagement of Ron and Luna. The tent from Bill and Fleur's wedding covered the expanse of the yard to house the guests. Along one wall were tables full of food and drinks, tables were set up around the dance floor. Molly Weasley had outdone herself this time, and Hermione had told her so when she and Jason had arrived.

"Why thank you, dear," she replied pulling Hermione into a fierce hug, then Jason in turn. "Go on and enjoy yourselves," she continued for before heading back into the house to continue cooking.

Hermione and Jason made their way across the expansive lawn of the Burrow, pausing to greet friends they saw along the way. Once inside the tent, Hermione spotted Ron and Luna dancing a little ways off, Jason then led her to the massive table of food.

"You hungry, love?" Jason asked, eyeing the assortment of food but meeting Hermione's laughing eyes. "What?" he added at her amused expression.

"Just go on and eat, I'm not quite hungry. I'm going to see Ron and Luna, you eat your heart out, Jace," Hermione replied laughing as he piled his plate high with everything in reach.

"You're perfect, Hermione," Jason replied, grinning broadly.

Hermione smiled at him fondly and made her way to the dance floor, stopped just a few feet shy of her friends by Dean Thomas, a fellow Gryffindor that she hadn't seen in a long while. "Hello, Hermione, you're looking quite delicious this afternoon," he said smiling devilishly.

Quite used to his friendly banter, Hermione replied, "Oh Dean, I just couldn't decide what to wear," laughing and pulling him into a hug.

"Care to dance, Hermione?" he asked smiling, "I promise I won't get handsy, it has been about two years since we've seen each other."

Hermione took his extended hand and allowed him to lead her to the dance floor. The band had just started playing a fast tune when Dean and Hermione began to dance; soon enough Dean was completely lost and bowed out. "Really Dean? You only danced for a minute," Hermione quipped.

"Sorry, Herms but how can I compete with your wonderful moves," he replied laughing, "I should go and find Lav, good to see you."

Hermione smiled, she missed her Hogwarts friends. Hermione turn back to where she had left Jason and found him sitting at a table, in conversation with Neville Longbottom, all the while shoveling in forkful after forkful. Hermione laughed at her goofy, charming boyfriend and focused on the couple of the day. Luna and Ron were seated at a table, sipping on iced pumpkin juice and waved her over excitedly.

"Herms!" Ron exclaimed standing and pulling her into a hug, then Luna followed suit.

"Congratulations, you two. I told you she'd say yes, Ron," Hermione smiled, as Ron grinned goofily at his fiancée.

"Of course I said yes, Ron you doubted me?" Luna asked, winking at Hermione.

"No! I doubted myself," Ron replied softly, interlacing their fingers and kissing her cheek.

Hermione couldn't be happier for her friends, it was about time they all began settling down after the war. The three friends talked for a little while longer before Arthur Weasley called for everyone's attention.

"Hello everyone, thank you so much for coming. We are here today to celebrate the engagement of our youngest son Ronald and his wonderful fiancée Luna. Ron, care to say a few words?" Mr. Weasley announced from the stage.

Ron pulled Luna up on stage and held her close as he spoke. "Everyone, thank you for supporting Luna and I. Merlin knows I could have mucked everything up, but she said yes. Now I'm getting married and I'm going to be the happiest man in the world. You're my friends, my family, and I promise to treat this woman right. If I don't, you be sure to kick my arse," Ron called, eliciting applause from the crowd.

Fred and George chorused from a table in the back, a very loud, "Kiss her!"

Ron grinned and met Luna's lips, pulling her close. Luna pulled back and grabbed the microphone from him, "Now everyone, go eat and dance so he'll wrap it up!"

Hermione felt a hand on her lower back; she relaxed against Jason and smiled as his arms wound around her waist. "They're so in love aren't they?" he asked, his lips close to her ear.

Hermione looked back at him, "Yeah they are, it's wonderful," she replied.

"Care to dance?" Jason asked, holding out a hand to her. Hermione knew he could dance, almost as good as she could and it was one of the things that made them so wonderful together.

"You know I'd never say no to a dance," she replied smirking. She took his hand and the pair began to dance fluidly across the dance floor.

Harry apparated from his newly acquired flat in downtown London to the gate entering the Burrow. Wow, nothing has changed, he thought as he made his way up the walk to the house he'd spent every summer since starting Hogwarts. The sound of music reached his ears as he cleared the hill and the house came into view. The large tent from the summer after his sixth year blew softly in the breeze.

Harry stopped just a few paces from the opening of the tent and straightened his tie. His black suit fit snug against his body, the white dress shirt and black tie gave him the air of confidence he hoped he had inside him. Harry pulled a large hand through his raven locks and made his way through the flapping opening into the crowded tent.

He passed through the crowded unnoticed at first, taking in all the familiar faces and the smiles of his friends. His emerald eyes found Ron and Luna at a table by the dance floor laughing and talking with those around them. Fred and George were eating at a table in the back, Bill and Fleur were dancing slowly next to a couple who could not keep themselves still.

The couple waltzing ferociously was a brown-haired man and a woman with dark brown curls. Both had intelligent brown eyes and matching smiles on their faces. Both clearly loved to dance. Harry caught himself getting lost like the others enraptured by their dancing. In front of Harry, stood Neville Longbottom who looked nothing like the man Harry had seen four years ago. Neville now carried himself with confidence and looked as though he'd finally come into his own.

Harry could help the words that fell from his lips, "Neville, man, you've changed," he spoke loud enough to be heard above the music.

Neville turned to the sound of his name and his jaw dropped, "Harry? Is that you?" he asked incredulously. Silence fell throughout the party as every eye turned to face Harry. One pair of those eyes was the girl in the blue cocktail dress who had been dancing until she heard his name. Green met brown over the heads of everyone.

Ron raced through the crowd to his friend and nearly plowed him to the ground in a fierce hug. "Harry, you came back! Man it's good to see you!" Ron said releasing him and grinning from ear to ear. Harry smiled back at his friend, why hadn't he come home sooner?

"It's good to see you, Ron. Congratulations, where's the lucky girl?" Harry said, his eyes moving instinctively to Hermione, who still stood awestruck next to her dark-haired dance partner.

Ron turned and held out his hand to Luna, who stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Harry's waist in a soft hug, "Welcome home, Harry," she said moving to stand beside Ron.

The wheels in Harry's brain began to turn, Ron's marrying Luna, not Hermione, his mind chanted. "Well, Ron, you are a lucky man. To snag Luna here," Harry replied, smiling. "Why'd the party stop? C'mon everyone, it's just me. Today is about Ron and Luna!" he called and the music began again.

Ron whispered a quiet, "We'll catch up later, pub tonight?" With a nod from Harry he disappeared back into the crowd with Luna in tow. Harry turned toward the dance floor and made his way to Hermione, who still stood staring at him as he walked towards her.

Harry finally reached her and just stopped in front of her, at a loss for words. Four years of correspondence only through letters passed between the two as they both struggled for something to say. Harry simply pulled her into a hug and it was a moment before he felt her arms squeeze him tightly around his waist. Harry whispered a quiet "I'm sorry" before Hermione pulled away.

Remembering that Jason was standing right there she turned to him, and said "Jason this is Harry, Harry this is Jason." Her heart had begun to pound when she saw Harry's face in the crowd, he'd finally come home and here she was caught in between her boyfriend and her reclusive best friend.

"Good to meet you, mate. I've heard a lot about you," Jason said smiling, extending his hand to Harry.

Harry took his hand and shook it, responding, "Nice to meet you too mate. So you're the infamous Jason, Hermione has told me quite a bit about you."

Hermione raised her eyes to Harry, she hadn't told him anything about Jason, but he was trying to no be rude. "Hermione, I'm going to make a quick trip to the dessert table, would you like something?" Jason asked, pulling Hermione from her thoughts.

"No, thank you though. I'm fine," Hermione responded mechanically. Jason hurried away and left Harry and Hermione standing alone on the dance floor.

"Mione, would you like to dance?" Harry asked quietly his eyes searching for hers. Hermione nodded and let him pull her close and they began a slow dance across the floor.

Hermione spent the first few minutes just looking up at his face, where it was once lean and tired it was now full and chiseled. She could feel the muscles underneath his clothes as they danced. Harry had grown up, but then again so had she. Harry kept his eyes focused over Hermione's head, afraid if he met her eyes she would see her thoughts like she always had.

"So you're back," Hermione stated quietly pulling him off the dance floor and to a table near the back of the tent.

"Yeah, I'm back," Harry responded, sitting down and dragging a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry Hermione, I thought you and Ron were," he trailed off nervously.

Hermione smiled, "Ron and I lasted three glorious days after you left, that was never going to work," she replied casually. His stomach turned upside down at the smile she gave him when she spoke, it was like he'd never been gone.

"So you aren't mad at me?" Harry asked her, taking two glasses of pumpkin juice from a floating tray and handing her one.

Hermione's smile faltered, "Not anymore, no. I was for a while, because you didn't come back in a year or even two. After three I just figured you were trying to get over everything and that was fine. I understood, but that didn't mean I didn't miss you any less," she explained seriously.

Harry smiled at her words, "I missed you too, Mione." His stomach flipped again and he felt a tightness in his chest he thought he could actually run away from, he was wrong. Bollocks, he thought.