Unofficial Portkey Archive

Being The Best Man by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Being The Best Man

ShellyLove

Author's Note: Okay guys, here's chapter 5. I know it's been forever since my last update and I truly apologize. First, I had a bad case of writer's block then a term paper and work. Real life needs to stop interfering with my fic. I took down the chapter and added more, now it's back up, I've already got a good start on the next chapter. It will be a whole lot longer, thanks for your patience.

Harry ran an agitated hand through his hair and continued writing attempting to tune out the obnoxious voice of his "partner". Two weeks had passed since he and Jason had started working together and since then Harry had done the majority of the paper work. On a stakeout, the prat had left his post and given away their position to the two Death Eaters they had been tracking. The idiot had even shot a spell straight through a muggle's window after the culprits had already disapparated.

Now the wanker was going on and on about how happy he and Hermione were together. "She and I, we're a match made in Heaven. Soon it'll be wedding bells for us too," Jason rambled to at least four other Aurors and many more within earshot. Harry rolled his eyes and went back to the report he needed to finish before he could go home.

"It's only been going on six months, Jason. Don't you think you're rushing a bit, mate?" asked a rather stout young Auror named Phillip.

Jason turned to him and smiled graciously, "No I don't think so. Hermione is one in a million. There aren't many women like that anymore."

Harry turned his head slightly, so he really does love her. C'mon Potter, you're just hard on him because he's with Hermione. If he wasn't the two of you would be friends, his mind called. Harry shook his head and waited for the conversation to continue.

A man next to Phillip smirked and agreed, "Right you are, Jason. Not many girls with brains look that hot."

"Don't you dare speak of her that way, Raoul. She is no prize to be won and discarded," Jason exclaimed heatedly. He turned from the group and left the office, everyone within earshot quickly returned to their work.

Fifteen minutes later, having finally finished the report Harry handed it to Kingsley's secretary and headed to grab his things. Ron sat on his desk, grinning while tossing Harry's wand from hand to hand. "Hey mate," He said jovially, getting to his feet and clapping Harry on the back.

"Hello, Ron, how was your day?" Harry replied a smile spreading the length of his face as he and Ron headed towards the lifts.

Ron smiled and waved at almost every person they passed on through the halls, "Oh I'm fine, ready to marry Luna and get away on my honeymoon. I'm tuckered out from this job, mate. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but a break would be nice," he explained.

Harry looked around, everyone knew Ron from the war but this wasn't for his part in helping Harry. Ron had become well-known for his work as an Auror. Harry's chest swelled with pride at his friend's accomplishments. Harry pushed the button for the ground floor and the two men entered the empty lift and waited as their descent began.

Harry turned to his friend and said, "Ron, you've done so well for yourself. Most of the captured Death Eaters were caught by you, everyone knows your name and it's not for being the Boy-Who-Lived's best friend. I'm so proud of you, mate."

Ron's ears reddened and he dropped his eyes to his feet, "Thanks, Harry. I just needed to make something of myself. Make the family proud you know, I mean they were before but I needed to do it on my own. Couldn't use you as a crutch forever, mate," he explained his deep voice quiet.

Harry's heart fell a bit as he replied, "Ron, I was never a crutch. People just thought I was I never could have done half of what I did without you and Hermione."

The lift came to a stop and the two young wizards exited into the lobby and headed towards the street exit. Ron remained quiet all the way to the street where he and Harry should part ways to head home. Harry stopped at the curb and lifted his eyes to the clear blue February sky. I've missed England so much, I'm happy to be home, Harry thought to himself smiling. He heard Ron clear his throat from behind him, so he turned his attention to the tall red head. "What is it, Ron?" Harry asked noting the serious expression on his friend's face.

Ron took a breath and asked, "Harry, I could tell when you showed up at the Burrow that you thought I was marrying Hermione. Why didn't you mention it to me that you didn't know?"

Harry stood taken aback at the question before answering, "I figured since you never mentioned a name but 'her' and 'she' that you and Hermione were still together. I mean you never did say that you and Hermione had split. I was shocked to see Luna on your arm, but I caught on rather quick." A yard stood between the two friends as the wind blew softly.

Ron nodded and shoved his hands in the pockets of his robes and said, "Because I knew if I told you that Hermione and I weren't together that you would have come home as soon as you got the letter. I couldn't make something of myself with you here, Harry. I know that makes me sound like a right bastard, but it's the truth. It's no excuse but I truly am sorry and I am so glad you're back," Ron finished and averted his eyes from his companion and waited for Harry's reply.

Harry stood in the late winter air, completely aghast but felt no anger towards his friend. He'd distanced himself from his life in England to come to terms with what had happened and to find his place. Ron had done the same thing, but it could only be done with Harry gone. He finally understood what a toll their journey had taken on Ron. He closed the distance between he and his friend and placed his hand on Ron's shoulder.

"Ron, I understand why you did what you did. You were right; I would have come straight back to be there for you two. I needed time away, and England needed time without me. I cannot begrudge you for finding your place. It's alright," Harry explained, with a smile.

Ron raised his face and laughed, "Thank God, I thought you were going to hex me. Whew," he said wiping away imaginary sweat from his brow.

"Ron, you're so full of it. Well, guess I better head home, see you," Harry said, turning and starting down the street.

Ron called after him, "Where are you going?! It's Wednesday, its dinner at the Weasley house and you're coming!"

Harry turned back to his best friend of ten years and grinned just like he had when Hagrid had told him he was a wizard for the first time.

Two small pops echoed through the still country afternoon air and a passerby would swear they appeared out of thin air, but they would simply say they took a hike through the woods. Harry and Ron made their way up the walk to the Burrow, both feeling as though returning home. The smell of Mrs. Weasley's cooking met their nostrils as they entered the back door. The entire Weasley clan had turned out for this week's dinner; even Bill had taken a day off and left the curse breaking to the goblins in Egypt. Charlie was on holiday nursing a healing arm from a scrape with a Chinese Fireball. Even Percy showed up, who now worked at a small Wizarding magazine called "The Spell", having resigned from the Ministry after the war. Fred and George, who had just returned from opening their first shop in America that morning, were full of life and laughter as always. Harry greeted each Weasley with a warm hug, receiving one in turn from each red-headed family member.

Harry plopped down at the table across from Arthur Weasley and scanned the room for the youngest Weasley, "Arthur, where's Ginny?" Harry asked curiously.

Arthur stiffened but regained his composure and replied curtly, "She'll be along any minute; she's bringing her latest boyfriend to meet the family."

Harry's eyes widened, "I take it you don't like the bloke, is it because he's the "latest"?" he asked watching Arthur's brow crease in frustration.

The older wizard cleared his throat and forced a smile, "No, she's been dating him quite a while. It's just a bit of an adjustment for us all to make."

The look of confusion on Harry's face caused Arthur to laugh loudly. Both men turned to the sound of an opening door in the kitchen and Harry felt his heart drop as he heard a very familiar drawling voice say, "Good evening, everyone. Sorry we're late."

Harry stood, not believing his ears and made his way to the kitchen. Draped around Ginny's waist was a hand attached to an arm attached to the body of Draco Malfoy. Ginny smiled and ran to Harry catching him around the waist in a big hug. "Harry, I've missed you so much!" she cried, Harry's scowl softened to a smile as he hugged Ginny back.

He looked down into the blue eyes that had once made his heart skip a beat and all he found there was the love of friends. "I missed you too, Gin. Why weren't you at the party a few weeks back?" Harry replied as Ginny stepped back into the arms of Draco.

Ginny's smile faltered, "I know, I'm really upset that I missed it. I was training, you do know I'm the chaser for the Holly Head Harpies now right?" she spoke with well-deserved pride.

Harry smiled and replied, "No I hadn't heard, been a bit out of the loop these last few years. I'll have to come see you play sometime." Harry's eyes flicked to Draco and back to Ginny as he took a step forward and offered his hand to his old rival, "Draco, good to see you."

Slightly taken aback, Draco took the offered hand cautiously and replied, "Same to you, Harry. I won't lie I was expecting the third degree over Gin here," his smile widening as Harry returned his grin.

Harry laughed, "Just as long as she's happy, I'm alright. Hurt her, and I'll hurt you. Deal?" he challenged.

Draco had eyes only for Ginny as he answered, "Deal."

Not long after, everyone sat down to eat and glorious conversation began. Ron and Percy were conversing over the new issue of the magazine and the workings of the Ministry. The twins sat in the middle of the table, telling Bill and Charlie about their newest ideas and Harry taking time to catch up with the two people that took him in. Draco and Ginny sat at the end of the table, ogling each other. The food was spectacular as usual but Harry couldn't help but notice the absence of the bushy-haired third of the trio.

Hermione shook her hair out of her eyes as she worked, finally completing her last report and leaning back in her chair staring at the ceiling of her rather spacious study. She raised her slender hands and pulled her brown curls back into an easy bun and yawned while glancing at the clock.

"BOLLOCKS!" Hermione screamed she was over an hour late for dinner at the Burrow. Hermione hurried ran to the kitchen grabbed her coat and apparated on the spot not even bothering to freshen up or change clothes.

Harry leaned back from the table, his stomach feeling as though it would surely burst if his jeans were just a bit tighter. The occupants of the table gave off an aura of contentment as the conversation continued an easy flow. A hurried knocking sounded from the back door and Harry hoisted himself up from his chair and moved to the door. He grasped the handle and pulled, behind the door stood a very frantic and adorable rather late Hermione Granger.

"Molly, Arthur, I'm so sorry I'm late," Hermione called rushing right past Harry into the dining room.

"Not to worry, dear. I saved you a plate; I knew you'd be along shortly. Did you get caught up with work?" Molly asked a knowing twinkle in her eye as Hermione lowered herself into a seat beside Fred.

Hermione blushed, "Yes, I was trying to finish the reports on the new shipment of books for the store. I figured I would finish in enough time," she explained quickly.

Smiling, Molly replied, "It's quite alright, dear. You're here now and that's what matters."

Hermione smiled gratefully and tucked into the large plate set in front of her. Harry leaned against the doorway, his hands in the pockets of his jeans simply smiling at the scene in front of him. Everyone was here save for Luna who had taken the night to visit her father in Witman, nearly twenty miles away. Harry returned to his seat and took up conversation with Fred and George.

"Honestly, Harry what really kept you away so long? And don't give us this bull about needing to find yourself. It was a girl, wasn't it?" George asked, causing Hermione to nearly choke on her Shepard's pie.

Her eyes flicked to Harry, who smiling simply replied, "No there was no girl that kept me away from home. I just had to figure out some things that's all."

Fred's face hardened, "You're kidding me, Potter. It took you FOUR years to figure something out, must be monumental, aye George?"

George smiled, "That's right, Fred. So what was it, Harry? Did you find the snorkack? Man, Luna will be so excited!" This caused the table to erupt in laughter even Ron's ears turned pink as he smiled fondly at his fiancé's eccentricities.

Harry laughed and replied, "No, there was always something pulling me back, but I figured that it wasn't the time to come home. I was very very mistaken, so much has changed in the time I was gone. I regret not coming home sooner," his face grew serious as he leveled his gaze on Hermione, whose mouth formed a small 'O' of surprise as she gazed into the emerald depths.

The table fell silent as a small pop sounded outside, everyone's attention turned to the door, save for Harry and Hermione, their eyes still locked across the table. Arthur rose and made his way to open the door for the visitor. He returned a moment later with Kingsley Shacklebolt at his heels, Harry and Ron got to their feet, "What's happened?" Ron asked quickly his face showing no traces of the laughter from minutes before.

Kingsley shook his head his voice grave as he announced, "It's Bellatrix Lestrange, she was due for execution today, but she escaped her guard and apparated away."

The entire room fell silent as everyone's eyes turned to Hermione, who looked as though she'd seen a ghost. She pulled her sleeve back to reveal the jagged letters M-U-D-B-L-O-O-D, now healed and almost translucent against her skin. Harry felt rage course through his veins at the memory of Hermione's screams in Malfoy Manor. Hermione's ears rang with the words Bellatrix screamed as she was taken away, "I will kill the mudblood, Potter. Mark my words, I will avenge my Lord."