Unofficial Portkey Archive

Being The Best Man by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Being The Best Man

ShellyLove

Author's Note: I would like to apologize for the two week gap between updates. School and work have been crazy and I haven't had much time at all to write, but here's chapter 5. I hope you enjoy.

Hermione awoke early the next morning, stiff from the restless sleep from the night before. After a shower and a small plate of eggs and kippers, the young witch dressed for the day. She and Luna would be no doubt trying on quite a few dresses so the brightest witch of her age dressed for comfort in a faded pair of blue jeans and a simple black long sleeve V-neck shirt. Hermione had just shrugged into her heaviest coat when a knock sounded from across the flat. Hermione gave herself a once over in the mirror and dragged a hand through her bouncy brown curls and headed for the door.

The knocking persisted; this was Hermione's warning of Luna whose patience ran thinner than Hermione's which was a feat in itself. "Hold on Luna, bloody hell," Hermione called, a second later she swung the door open and not only Luna, but Harry stood before her.

"Hermione, it's about bloody time. You know I hate standing in front of a closed door," Luna quipped to the young witch in front of her, whose gaze was directed over her shoulder.

"I know, Luna," Hermione laughed, then turned her attention to Harry, who looked as though he'd never had a drink in his life, though his emerald eyes were guarded. "Harry, what brings you here?" she asked, smiling up at her friend.

Harry looked taken aback, as though she would never have noticed his presence. "I ran into Luna when I went for coffee this morning and she invited me along today, if that's alright with you?" Harry explained casually, his eyes never meeting hers. Bugger, she hasn't even mentioned last night. Of course she probably thinks I'm too embarrassed and she doesn't want to bring it up. Especially since I interrupted, oh shut it Potter, Harry mentally chastised himself.

Hermione smiled, "I'd love for you to join us Harry, and it has been quite some time since we've spent time together. You do understand we will be trying on dress after dress, you've always been such a trooper," Hermione joked, causing the first real smile she'd seen in years on the face of her old friend.

Luna stood between the two and smiled to herself. So I told Ron not to push them along, but I'm a little more tactful than my darling fiancé, she thought. "Alright, you two ready to go? At this rate I won't get married until after I have my first child," the young blond voiced aloud to her friends.

"So we shall go," Harry said holding the door open for both girls, smiling as Hermione brushed by him. Mione, you're going to be the death of me he mused silently.

Downtown London on a Saturday was usually crowded, but today the cold temperatures had forced most of London indoors. Only a few pedestrians braved the cold to commute from shop to shop. An older woman took a turn past a rather dodgy looking pub on a street corner and preceded to the flower boutique farther down the street, the small pop that issued behind her failed to catch the woman's attention. Soon three young people emerged from an alley near the pub and headed down the street.

"So where to, Luna?" Hermione asked, pulling her coat closer around her in the harsh cold.

Luna looked at the shops that lined the street and stopped short then her gaze traveled to Harry whose face was turned down from the wind. "Harry, what was that place you were telling me about earlier?" Luna asked, stuffing her hands deeper into her pockets.

"Oh, you mean Daisy's? It's a little bridal shop about a block from here," Harry responded casually, averting his eyes from the brunette witch on the other side of Luna.

Surprised that Harry, let alone any man, knew of any bridal shop Hermione piped up. "May I ask how you know of this shop, Harry? Planning on getting married?" she quipped as Harry led them in the direction of Daisy's.

Harry let a small, deep laugh escape him and explained, "Aunt Petunia forced me to wait while she tried on dress after dress for a wedding for some friend of hers. The shop is right around the corner from here. Blimey Hermione, I'm only twenty one."

Luna stopped short, an idea forming in her head, she rounded on Harry. "And what's wrong with getting married at twenty one, Potter?" she questioned, narrowing her bright grey eyes.

Harry's eyes widened and he quickly replied, "Merlin, Luna I didn't mean that for everyone. That was meant solely for me." Luna let her façade of anger fade, her eyes softening as she laid a hand on Harry's arm.

Hermione's gaze snapped to the tall wizard who had stopped walking, his black hair blowing chaotically in the wind. Annoyed by his reluctance to show his emotions, Hermione challenged, "What do you mean just you, Harry? You always dreamed of having a family."

His carefully built shield shattered in front of her, the next moment his eyes were guarded once again and Hermione was left more confused than ever.

Amidst the serious conversation, the trio had finally made it to Daisy's, a small boutique stuck between an insurance office and a dry cleaning business. Behind the bright yellow writing that decorated the window was a simple white bridal gown on display. Momentarily forgetting her scheme, a bright smile lit up Luna's face and she bolted the short distance to the door and disappeared inside calling an excited "That's the one!" over her shoulder.

Hermione smiled fondly and headed for the door, reaching for the handle just as Harry's long fingers grasped the knob. Harry sucked in a breath as electricity traveled up his arm at her touch. He raised his emerald eyes to Hermione's and muttered "Sorry," and pulled the door open. Hermione smiled, her mind whirling as she entered the store. Harry dragged a hand through his windblown hair and followed her in out of the cold.

Nearly two hours later, Harry felt as though facing Voldemort all over again couldn't be as much torture as it was to feel glued to a chair and watch a woman try on so many dresses and ask him his opinion. Luna had chosen the gown on display the moment he and Hermione had caught up to her. Though not extravagant, the delicate trim and fall of the dress turned Luna into a petite princess. Both he and Hermione had assured Luna that Ron wouldn't be able to get through the ceremony with her standing next to him. Luna had laughed and quickly changed back into her clothes. Luna then began choosing dresses for Hermione to wear, thus began Harry's current predicament. He had seen every color possible this afternoon, reds, oranges and a quite ghastly shade of green.

"What about this one?" Hermione asked pulling back the curtain and revealing a frilly pink strapless dress. Luna got up from her seat beside Harry and made a circle around Hermione, assessing the dress from every side.

"Hmm, I don't know about the color. What do you think, Harry?" Luna asked, silently laughing as Harry's eyes widened for the thousandth time.

Harry took a look at the witch before him, her toffee curls fell just past her shoulders and the dress fell delicately to the floor. To Harry, she could have worn trousers and a blouse and attended any formal event and be splendidly beautiful. His eyes scrutinized every inch of her and he sighed, and got to his feet.

"Well, it's a beautiful dress, but Hermione hates pink," Harry stated, laughing at the grim look on Hermione's face as she watched him.

Harry, feeling a little reckless, circled Hermione as Luna had and passed close to Hermione's back. A sharp intake of breath from Hermione encouraged Harry as he continued to speak, "She's also rather tall, so why not a short dress? Of course it's whatever you'd like, Luna."

Luna smiled and replied "Of course you're right Harry. Sorry Herms let me go try a short one." Luna bustled off behind the multiple racks and the sound of shuffling fabric carried on for a few minutes.

"Thank you, Harry," Hermione stated as she headed back into the changing room pulling the curtain closed.

Harry smiled, "No problem, just because I haven't been home doesn't mean I forget everything about you," he answered thoughtfully.

Luna returned with a bright blue dress and handed it through the curtain and returned to her seat beside Harry. "If this isn't the one she's going starkers, I'm wiped out," Luna whispered to Harry. Both burst out laughing, but quickly quieted as Hermione stepped out of the changing room.

The cobalt blue dress hit Hermione at mid-thigh, a black sash draped elegantly across Hermione's waist. Accentuating each curve of Hermione's body, the strapless cocktail dress was hands down the best of the many she had tried on that day. Harry felt his mouth go dry at the sight of the woman standing with her hands on her hips, her teeth worrying her lower lip. "Well?" Hermione asked quietly, inwardly squirming under Harry's scrutiny.

Luna stood, a wide grin plastered on her face, "This is the one, Hermione. You look amazing." Luna crossed the room and hugged her friend. Hermione smiled in relief over Luna's shoulder, her brown eyes laughing as she and Harry shared a knowing look.

Luna stepped away from Hermione and turned to Harry, "Okay mister, it's your turn," she commanded giggling at Harry's bewildered expression.

"What?" Harry asked, thoroughly confused. Luna pointed to the dressing room now vacated by Hermione, who was glad to be back in regular clothes.

"C'mon, Harry. Its fun the first couple of times," Hermione joked, pulling him up by his hand and pushing him into the changing room.

Luna disappeared behind the racks on the men's side and Hermione sat down to wait, her mind traveling a mile a minute. What is going on? Why am I so antsy around him? Hermione asked herself as Luna returned with a black tuxedo and a white dress shirt. "Okay, Harry. Put those on and we'll decide on ties and whatnot," Luna ordered happily and took the seat beside Hermione.

This is going so well, they're already aware of each other. I'm so bad, Luna thought mischievously before turning to Hermione and saying, "This is so much fun, Hermione. I cannot wait until you get married, then you can repay me for torturing you."

A look of utter discomfort passed over Hermione's face, "What do you mean when I get married?" she asked, her voice raising an octave.

Luna, slightly taken aback, replied "Hermione, you used to talk about getting married all the time. You were always planning it and everything back at school. I mean you and Jason have been doing great, I thought you had at least considered the idea."

Hermione lowered her head and remained silent for a moment, then said "Luna, I have considered it, believe me, but Jason. He just doesn't want that, and I'm not sure I do either," Hermione lowered her voice, eyeing the curtain that separated the girls from Harry before continuing, "We haven't even had sex yet, I mean I just don't feel that comfortable with him. How could I ever possibly marry him?"

Luna nodded in understanding and asked, "Well if you aren't comfortable then why are you with him? I mean you have always said he's the best relationship you've ever had. I thought things were great between you," her voice taking on a note of slight anger.

Harry stood in the changing room listening intently to the conversation, Hermione is unsure about Jason, maybe there's hope for me after all. Maybe not, I mean I didn't hear that little bit where they both got quiet. Easy Harry, don't get your hopes up. Bollocks, I've been in here too long, Harry thought. He quickly finished buttoning up the dress shirt and shrugged into the black jacket and slid the curtain aside.

Before Hermione could answer, Harry stepped out and turned to the nearest mirror and looked at himself. She hadn't seen him dressed up since fourth year and things had certainly changed. Harry had filled out quite a bit since then, his broad shoulders and chest filled out the tuxedo nicely. Hermione's cheeks burned as her gaze on Harry's backside was interrupted as Luna made her way to Harry.

"Wow, Harry. You look so handsome," Luna commented as she picked up various color bow ties and walked over to Harry who had turned to his back to the mirror and faced the girls.

Harry smiled and did a little bow before moving his hands to his pockets as he chanced a glance at Hermione. The look in her eyes nearly knocked him off his feet, she looked embarrassed. Her entire face flushed as his eyes met hers, is it just me or are her eyes darker, Harry shook off the thought as Luna slipped a green tie around his neck and began to tie the soft fabric.

Two minutes later, Luna threw her hands up in frustration and turned to Hermione, pouting and said "I can't tie these, Hermione help me."

Hermione got to her feet and crossed the room, wary of the close proximity with Harry after her very unsettling reaction to his formal appearance. "Easy, Luna. I've got this, but are you sure green is a choice. Ron does have red hair," Hermione replied casually.

Luna stopped in the doorway and turned, "Bugger, you're right. Well try to find a blue one that matches your dress. It'll bring out Ron's eyes, I'll just go buy everything right quick. I'll just come back and be amazed," she said brightly.

Hermione then turned to the pile of bow ties in Harry's hand and sifted through the various colors until she found a soft electric blue that matched the color of her bridesmaid's dress. Harry attempted to control his breathing as Hermione reached up and placed the tie around his neck and began to tie it. Little did he know, that the woman in front of him was attempting to control her shaking hands.

Hermione straightened the bow tie and pulled the collar of Harry's dress shirt down, her fingernails just brushing his neck, eliciting a sharp breath from Harry. Hermione raised her eyes to his and found the guards down, they were the eyes that she had been able to read for seven years before he disappeared.

"Hermione," Harry started, his voice soft and eyes piercing. Hermione lowered her hands to his chest and a small smile formed on her lips.

Luna stood just outside the doorway and waited until Harry opened his mouth to continue and entered her hands full of bags. "Great job, Hermione. Well we're all done here, thank you guys so much. I'll bring Ron back later this week to get his sizes and I'll make sure to have yours for you then, Harry," Luna exclaimed beaming.

"Of course, Luna, I'm always happy to help two wonderful women for the better part of the day," Harry joked as he disappeared into the changing room to retrieve his clothes and change.

Luna chuckled, "Yeah yeah, Potter," then added, "Well, would you guys like to go get lunch?" as she and Hermione waited for Harry.

Hermione quickly replied "Yes, that sounds lovely. I'm half starved." She had taken three steps away from Harry when Luna entered the room and she wasn't quite sure why. Harry is my friend, why am I acting this way, she thought to herself.

Luna interrupted her thoughts, "What about you, Harry?"

Harry exited the dressing room for the second time, dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt. He ruffled his hair and replied, "I wish I could, but I have to go to the Ministry. Kingsley said something about meeting my partner or something."

Luna nodded and picked up the bags she had deposited in the chair nearest her and the three friends exited the shop. Harry hugged both girls and called a "See you later," then apparated with a soft pop.

"I'm sorry, Kingsley. What did you say?" Harry asked politely. He was seated in the office of Kingsley Shacklebolt, the new Head of the Auror Department.

The tall, black wizard smiled and repeated his previous statement, "Unlike the Auror department in the States, we work in partners. You won't be working on cases alone here, Harry. You'll have a partner, kind of like muggle police officers, you know."

Harry laughed, "Yeah, something like that. Well, who's my partner?" The idea of a partner intrigued Harry, back in the States he'd been undercover most of the time and it got quite lonely at times.

Kingsley shrugged, "I'm not sure who you know anymore, Harry. So follow me and we'll see," he explained bluntly.

Kingsley got to his feet and exited his office with Harry in tow. The Auror Department was just as Harry remembered it, cluttered. The small cubicles covered the room, and witches and wizards were all over the large room that served as headquarters. On one wall was a large board covered in pictures of dark wizards who were wanted. Those pictures whose subject had been captured or killed received a red slash through the photograph. Harry recognized many of the faces of those still at large as those who had followed Voldemort and fled the Battle of Hogwarts four years prior.

Kingsley led Harry to an empty cubicle and said, "This is your area, Harry. You have more experience than most of these Aurors, so you'll be my lieutenant of sorts," his dark eyes twinkling, matching the smile that usually graced his handsome face.

Harry clapped him on the back and replied, "Yes, boss. Now, what about that partner?" looking around the room for someone he knew.

Kingsley turned to the room and shouted, "Griffiths!"

Harry turned from his cubicle and followed the sound of footsteps that were quickly approaching the place where he and Kingsley stood. Harry's eyes widened as the young wizard reached them, a pair of glasses rested atop his dark hair and he turned his attention to Kingsley and answered, "Yes, boss?"

Kingsley cleared his throat and raised his voice to be heard above the noise of the busy office, "Griffiths, this is your new partner, Harry Potter," then Kingsley turned to Harry, "Potter, this is Jason Griffiths, your partner."

One thought passed through Harry's mind as he looked at Hermione's boyfriend, I'm in deep shit now.