Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bond of the Spirits by don-bski
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bond of the Spirits

don-bski


Chapter 14: Diem de Spritus (Day of the spirit)

The wakeup alarm sounded on the clock in the living room of Dan and Emma Granger. Hermione and Ginny stirred from their separate sleeping places on the two sofas in the room. Ginny reached and groped for her wand as she sat up. She brushed the red hair from her face trying to wake up. Hermione sleepily sat up also. In retrospect, she thought that she and Ginny probably should not have talked so long last night. But they had both been very excited about this day. Hermione stood up and Ginny moved close to face her. Ginny touched the wand lightly to Hermione's chest and said, "diem de spritus". Then, they both went back to their respective sofas and lie down again for a few more hours of sleep.



"Harry, Harry. You need to wake up for a minute," said Ron.

Harry sat up as Ron's room at the Burrow came into focus. Ron was sitting on his bed rubbing his eyes. After another minute, they both stood. Ron took his wand and touched it to Harry's chest and said, "diem de spritus".

Then, while covering a big yawn with his fist, Ron said, "A few more hours of sleep then?"

"Yeah. That's a good idea Ron," said Harry as he fell back onto the cot.



Molly fussed over Harry and attached a red carnation to his lapel. He wore a white tuxedo with long coat tails and a white bowtie. After scrutinizing him one last time, Molly pronounced him ready and then hurried back upstairs. Harry stepped outside to wait as Ron had asked.

"Ginny," said Ron at the floo. "Are you and Hermione at the church?"

"Yes, we got her a while ago. I've got her in a room on the left side by the entrance."

"Ok. I'll bring Harry then."

Ron stood up and straightened the coat of his charcoal colored tuxedo and bowtie. He also wore a red carnation on his lapel. He touched his hand to his coat pocket and felt the small case containing Hermione's wedding ring. He said to Arthur, "We'll be going then. See you and Mum at the church."

Ron stepped outside and after joining Harry said, "Ready to go mate?"

Harry smiled and said, "Yeah Ron. Really looking forward to seeing her again."

Ron smiled and they disapparated.



The guests were seated in the church wherever they wished and quietly conversing with each other. In attendance were the extended Weasley family, Hogwarts school friends, Hagrid, Liz Beth, Tom, Ian, Martha, Wilbur and most of the professors from Hogwarts. Two large flower arrangements were in front on both sides of the sanctuary. Lit candles, with flowers around the bases and draped with fluttering red, white and gold ribbons, floated along the walls.

Music began to play. Harry and Ron walked in from the side and stood in front on the right. Arthur and Molly Weasley carried a lit candle up the center aisle. A three stem candelabra stood at the front with a single unlit candle in the center. Molly added the candle she carried to the candelabra and then she and Arthur seated themselves. Emma Granger then entered carrying another lit candle up the center aisle. She also added it to the candelabra and then seated herself.

Minerva McGonagall entered from the left side and walked to the center. She stood beside the candelabra and faced the guests. Smiling and carrying a bouquet of flowers, Ginny walked up the aisle wearing an elegant deep green dress. Ron met her in the center, took her arm in his, and led her forward a few more steps. They then separated and turned to face the guests. The music shifted to the bridal march and everyone stood and turned toward the entrance of the church.

Hermione wore a white satin strapless wedding gown with a layered and pleated skirt that flared and hung just above the ground. It was accented in lace from her waist up. At waist level and to the side, was an arch of white roses. Her hair was elegantly arranged, held in place by Fleur's tiara. Lily's griffin necklace rested high on her chest. Upon seeing her, Harry was mesmerized, his gaze transfixed on the woman he loved. She was beyond beautiful. Her face radiated a pure white glow as Dan Granger led his daughter slowly up the aisle.

Hermione felt a delightful weightless elation. She blushed slightly seeing that all eyes were unblinkingly looking at her. Her gaze fell on the man she longed to be with, he was waiting for her. There was radiance about him. Everything else in her field of view went out of focus.

Harry moved toward them. His eyes fixed on hers. Dan Granger kissed his daughter on the cheek and stepped back allowing Harry to take his place next to Hermione. It was very hard for both Harry and Hermione not to wrap each other in a hug. Joining arms, they walked forward and stood before McGonagall. The music faded to silence.

McGonagall said, "Good afternoon to all. I would like to welcome you here today to witness and celebrate the bonding of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger in marriage. It is my great privilege to officiate at this ceremony. I have been blessed to see them grow from children into adults of courage, honesty and virtue."

"The particular ritual that they have chosen is called the 'vinculi spiritu' or 'bond of the spirit'. It is ancient and not often used. Its origin dates back at least three hundred years. It seeks to confer spiritual blessings on the couple in addition to their life union as husband and wife. This marriage bond is most sacred and serious. It is not entered into lightly or without careful consideration."

"The 'vinculi spiritu' requires purification in mind and body. Harry and Hermione completed the preparatory parts of the ritual in isolation from each other over the last two days. The best man, Ronald Weasley and the maid of honor Ginny Weasley have stood by them throughout this time. They kept watch and aided them at certain times. On this third day, in the presence of us all, Harry and Hermione will bond themselves into a new life that shares body, mind and spirit with each other. In doing so, their union is beyond a promise. It will be part of their true being and we may rightfully refer to them as soul mates."

"We begin with a scripture reading about love which is the foundation of a marriage."

Katie stepped forward to a small podium. Then, she began to read aloud.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. ... Love is patient and kind ... the greatest of these is love." [1 Cor 13:1,4,13]

McGonagall looked at them and said, "Harry and Hermione, have you come here freely, and without reservation, to complete your bond to each other in the sight of God and these present here today?"

"We have," they said together.

"Harry and Hermione, do you understand that you will be bound to each other as husband and wife for the remainder of your earthly life?"

"We do," they said together.

"Harry and Hermione, since these are your intentions, I ask that you face each other now and join your right hands."

They turned and smiling at each other, joined their hands at chest level. Taking out her wand, McGonagall passed it in an arc over their joined hands. A golden ribbon appeared and then wound itself around their joined hands.

McGonagall said, "Harry, please pronounce your pledge to Hermione."

Looking into her eyes he said, "Hermione, I freely present to you all that I am in body, mind and in spirit. I take you as my wife to share with you my life, hopes and dreams. I promise to be true to you always. I will comfort you in your sorrow, celebrate in your joy, and care for you always. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

McGonagall said, "Hermione, please pronounce your pledge to Harry."

Looking into his eyes she said, "Harry, I freely present to you all that I am in body, mind and in spirit. I take you as my husband to share with you my life, hopes and dreams. I promise to be true to you always. I will comfort you in your sorrow, celebrate in your joy, and care for you always. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

McGonagall said, "In the presence of us all, witnesses of the words spoken by each of you today, we bless and approve your pledges to each other." She lightly tapped their joined hands with her wand. A spark flew up from their joined hands and settled on the top of the unlit candle in the candelabra. It scintillated like a star. The ribbon was replaced by a golden glow that dissolved into their hands.

McGonagall said, "The rings, that they will now give, are a sign to all of their solemn pledges to each other."

Harry turned to Ron. Ron held out Hermione's gold wedding band in the palm of his hand. Harry took it and turned back to face Hermione taking her hand. Looking into her eyes while sliding the ring onto her finger he said, "Take and wear this ring as a sign of our love and fidelity."

Likewise, Ginny held out Harry's gold wedding band for Hermione. Looking into his eyes she said, "Take and wear this ring as a sign of our love and fidelity." She slid the ring onto his finger.

After a short pause, McGonagall said, "Please join your left hands for the consecration of your bond."

Harry and Hermione raised their hands to chest height, with palms facing down, and laced their fingers. McGonagall held her wand tip above their rings and said,

"liberum arbitrii electio de mentibus" (free-will choice of the minds)
"cum caritas de corda" (with love from the hearts)
"esse nunc coniuncta in spiritus" (be now united in the spirit)

The rings both began to radiate and pulse in a blue glow. McGonagall smiled with a slight nod of satisfaction. She touched the rings with her wand tip and the glow faded away.

McGonagall motioned and Ginny moved to stand very close Hermione. Ron stood close to Harry. Moving back a few steps, McGonagall said "Harry and Hermione, you may now seal your bond with each other."

Smiling and holding each other's hands, Harry and Hermione moved toward each other and kissed. An instant later, they each felt a shock of joy. Perception of their surroundings clouded for a moment. A golden wave of light emanated from Harry and Hermione and it spread through the room touching all present with a brief tingling sensation. Their kiss separated and they swayed a bit still holding each other's hands. Ron and Ginny reached out to steady them and felt a warm and soothing sensation.

Hermione was regaining her composure when there was a soft and gentle "I love you Hermione."

She looked toward Harry and her mouth half opened. He had a thoughtful gaze fixed on her. Realizing that Harry had not spoken with his voice, tears of joy formed in her eyes. "I love you Harry," she thought back to him.

Both of their faces beamed as they strongly embraced each other in excited happiness. "We'd better keep this to a minimum for now out of respect for our guests. ... Yes, I agree. I'm so happy!" They released each other and Harry turned to Ron and nodded his head.

"Yes!" Ron said as he embraced and clapped Harry on the back.

Hermione, wiping tears from her eyes, nodded to Ginny and she squealed and embraced Hermione.

McGonagall, understanding what she had just witnessed between the four of them, smiled happily. She could not be more proud of all that Harry and Hermione had accomplished. She took a step forward and announced, "Having sealed their bond, I declare that they are now husband and wife. I am privileged to present to you Harry and Hermione Potter."

There was applause as Harry and Hermione turned to face their guests and linked each other's arm. The closing wedding march began to play. After a moment, they walked arm in arm out of the church followed by Ron, Ginny and their guests.

They greeted each of their guests as they exited the church and walked the short distance to the reception hall. Everyone in attendance enjoyed a buffet as Harry and Hermione continued to make their way around and talk to all of their friends and family.

Later, when everyone had a glass of champagne at the ready, Ron said, "Please raise your glass to my two best and closest friends, Harry and Hermione. May your new life together be filled with love, fulfillment, happiness and peace."

"Here, here!" everyone said.

They shared a sip of their champagne with interlinked arms. They gave each other cake. Music began to play and they danced. Everyone had a very good time.

Late in the afternoon, Ron and Ginny came up to them. Ron said, "Sunset time you two. You can witness it just out that side door."

"Ok. Everyone is welcome to join us," said Hermione.

Outside was a small patio area with a deck that faced west. A meadow sloped gently down and away. The sun hung just above the horizon and the scattered clouds were aglow in orange and red. Harry and Hermione stepped onto the deck in front of their guests and held each other's hand looking toward the sun.

"I like it much better holding your hand at sunset," thought Hermione.

"Yeah. I really missed you. I think I felt your presence last night," thought Harry.

"I felt you too Harry. Your song to me was beautiful."

He turned to look at her in surprise. "You heard it?" thought Harry.

She smiled, "No, but your words came to me and I sang along. I hope you'll sing it to me again sometime."

"Yes, I will." he thought to her. Then, using his voice, he began to sing to her.

After a moment, Ron looked at Ginny standing a short distance away. She was already looking at him. Ginny silently mouthed to Ron, "sunset yesterday". Ron beamed a smile and nodded back to Ginny. The expression of a squeal came to Ginny's face and she clapped her hands softly in delight. Then, the expression on her face became dreamy. Looking back at Harry and Hermione, she wiped the corner of her eye. Ron, with an arm around Katie's waist, felt a peaceful comfort for his two closest friends.

The last of the sun was disappearing below the horizon as he finished the song. Hermione sang the last chorus of the song with him. They embraced and kissed. A moment later, there were cheers, clapping and rice being thrown by their guests. Magic fireworks exploded above them. Pop! Pop! Confetti and streamers floated down on them. Their lips separated and they beamed at each other.

Ron went over to Ginny and asked, "You reckon this is a good spot for those last two bonding customs?"

"Yes, this will do nicely," said Ginny. She turned to Arthur and said, "Dad, will you officiate?"

"Certainly," said Arthur.

Arthur raised his voice and said, "Ok. I need all of the eligible ladies in this area over here. Come on now, don't be shy. Hermione, if you would please come over here with your bouquet. Face away from them."

Arthur took out his wand and touching the bouquet said, "Impervius." Then he said, "Ok ladies, charms like accio won't work so don't even try. On the count of three Hermione, throw the bouquet over your shoulder. Everyone ready? ... one ... two ... three!"

The bouquet flew high into the air. Hands stretched upward as it fell into their midst. Excited squeals were heard as a hand held the bouquet firmly. The hand was attached to a beaming Katie. Ron caught her eye and smiled with a satisfied expression. People around him clapped him on the back saying things like, "No hope for you Ron" and "You're next".

Arthur said, "Ok. Now I need all of the eligible men in this area over here. Hermione, if you would sit here. Harry, you have a job to do."

Hermione lifted her skirt as wolf howls and whistles were heard. She laughed and shook her head. Harry removed a blue garter from her leg.

Arthur said, "Impervius ... Ok Harry, on the count of three. Everyone ready? ... one ... two ... three!"

The garter flew high into the air. Hands stretched upward as it fell into their midst. Then, "Yes!" as one hand took hold of it. That hand belonged to George. Angelina beamed at George as he danced and caused more fireworks and confetti to appear. There was laughter and applause. Harry and Hermione took each other's hand and everyone went back into the reception hall.

Later, Harry and Hermione had changed cloths and were about to leave on their honeymoon.

Hermione embraced Ginny and then Ron saying, "Thanks you two for all you did for us these last few days." Harry did the same and said, "Yes, thanks. We really appreciate it. Hope we can return the favor one day for each of you."

Ron smiled and said, "You two have a great trip. See you when you get back."

Hermione waved and said, "Bye everyone. Thanks for sharing in our special day."

Hermione put her arm in Harry's and after a short pause, they disapparated.