Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bond of the Spirits by don-bski
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bond of the Spirits

don-bski


Chapter 3: Plans and Options

Later that day, Hermione had her feet up on the sofa and was reading a book. Harry came in and sat down in the chair across from her. Hermione looked up from her book and said, "Finish telling me about your meeting with Kingsley."

Harry said, "Let me call Ron and have him come over first. He should hear it too." Harry got up and went to the floo. A few minutes later, there was a flash of green light and Ron appeared.

Speaking to both of his friends, Harry said, "I had a really good talk with Kingsley today." ...



"Hello Harry. Please come in and have a seat," said Kingsley. "How are you doing?"

"Very well Minister."

Kingsley said, "I'd like to ask you a few questions. In accordance with your earlier expressed wishes, I have kept silent about you and your friend's activities over the past year. Only general statements have been made to the press about your well being and desire for privacy. Is this still your desire?"

Harry said, "It is minister. Hermione, Ron and I have had some limited discussion about it. Perhaps at some future date, a single publication interview would be possible. The content would be edited as necessary and the final story agreed upon by Ron, Hermione, Professor McGonagall, you and myself prior to publication."

"Excellent Harry. That is very much my line of thinking. Do you have any thoughts about that future date?"

"No, not really."

"The reason I ask, there is planning underway for a ceremony to be held at Hogwarts sometime in late August. The purpose is to rededicate the school and to commemorate those who were involved in its defense both living and deceased. There will be a Daily Prophet story related to the ceremony and it would be a good time to also have something of your story. If published together, we feel you would be afforded more of a diversion than if published separately. What do you think?"

"That seems ok to me but let me discuss it with Ron and Hermione."

"Very good, I would appreciate it if you could let me know your decision within the next few days."

"We will minister."

"With respect to the ceremony and the available space at Hogwarts, the event will be limited. Only those directly involved in the battle and their immediate families will be invited. There will be a single, reputable reporter and photographer from the Daily Prophet present to report on it. You, Ron and Hermione and others identified by professor McGonagall would be formally invited to be present for the ceremony. None of you would have to speak unless you desired to. It would mean a lot to the wizarding world if you would consent to attend."

"I think that would be agreeable. Let me check with Ron and Hermione on that too."

"Very well, thank you. I also want to mention that planning is underway regarding careers in the Ministry of Magic for you, Ron and Hermione. Please share what I am about to say to you with them. Many of the ministry departments want each of you in one way or another. The departments are putting together proposals. They will be summarized and sent to you by owl in the next few weeks. You could then meet with the department heads to learn more about the careers that you might be interested in. ..."



... "So Kingsley really wants to help us get things sorted out and move forward," said Harry.

"That's great!" said Hermione. "Did he say anything about school or job requirements?"

"Only that the ministry is short handed right now and that special arrangements for necessary course work would be available depending on our career choice. Existing knowledge and experience would be taken into consideration."

Ron said, "Wow, we get to pick the job we want?"

Hermione said, "At least from the choices they give us. What if we don't want what they offer?"

Harry said, "Any other job would have the normal school requirements and application process. But Kingsley said that we would probably be very happy with the offers."

Ron said, "My dad mentioned to me that there are available positions in his department too. I've been thinking about that lately. Or maybe working with George at the joke shop."

Harry said, "I also got a pitch from Kingsley that, after the recent events, becoming an Auror was an available choice for us all."

"Blimey," said Ron. "Really?"

"Well, I for one do not want to be an Auror," said Hermione.

"I told Kingsley that, speaking for myself, I'm not interested in being an Auror right now. That after this last year, something with much less hand-to-hand combat is more what I'm thinking."

Ron smiled and said, "Yeah, I had that conversation with Mum and Dad. They said they would support me in whatever career decision I make but that they hope it will be a less dangerous one."

Harry said, "So what do you think about an interview and publication? I'm inclined to do it so we can get it over with."

Hermione said, "What Kingsley suggested would minimize us being in a direct spotlight."

"Publish in the Quibbler like you did in fifth year?" asked Ron.

Hermione said, "To be most effective, it should be in the same publication as the other stories, hidden somewhat. That means it would be in the Daily Prophet since it is the official ministry paper."

Ron said, "The person doing the interview should do all three of us together. That will make the story consistent."

Hermione said, "We would still need to be careful about what we say. The interviewer could talk to others who could publish without our consent."

Harry said, "Ok. What about the ceremony at Hogwarts?"

Ron said, "I think we should do it. After working on the Hogwarts rebuilding effort, it will help give people final closure."

Hermione said, "I think so too Harry. Not being there would make it appear that we don't care about Hogwarts or what happened there."

Harry said, "Ok then. I'll send Kingsley an owl tomorrow. How about a butter beer you two?"

Ron and Hermione nodded and Harry got up to get them. He returned and handed a glass to Ron and Hermione who were sitting on each end of the sofa. He sat down again in the chair facing them. There was a quiet minute where they all were just thinking. Ron was intently studying the foam in his half full glass. He now looked up at Hermione.

"Hermione?"

"Yes Ron."

"I want to talk to you, about us."

"Do you mean us as in boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"Yeah."

"Ok."

Harry said, "I think I'll check on something in my room." as he stood up to leave.

"It's ok with me mate if you stay. I don't think this will become one of our shouting matches. Besides, since the Forest of Dean, I've been comfortable with you knowing my feelings."

"That was quite the reunion we had in the tent that night," said Hermione smiling.

Ron's eyes narrowed some as they said to Harry, "No, the image we saw from the locket." Harry sat back down and began to study the foam on his butter beer glass.

"Hermione," said Ron, "We've had the romance part of our relationship on hold for a while now and it has given me time to sort it out. I think our arguments are because I'm being overly defensive of my opinions. Growing up the youngest brother of the family tended to put me on the receiving end of practical jokes, embarrassing situations and hand me downs. It's still hard for me to be trusting and open with you. Ginny never seemed to have that problem but I think its because she's more self-assured than I am."

"What I think I'm trying to say is, I need time and space to become the right person for you. I want to stop the romance part of our relationship and give both of us time to see and date other people, to find out if we are really meant for each other. If we are destined to be married some day, I want it to be freely chosen and based on a much more peaceful foundation."

Hermione said in a soft voice, "Ron, that's beautiful. But to be fair, our arguing is not just you. I've been bossy and opinionated with you too."

In a questioning voice and smiling, Ron said, "Really? Since when?" They all broke into laughter.

"Seriously Ron," she said in a contrite voice, "You know I'm an over achiever. I'm still trying to find the right balance in that. I understand now how that must have made you feel. I am very sorry for that, please forgive me. I'm ok with doing what you suggest for us. I know we will be dearest friends and I want that to continue no matter what. I really, really mean that!"

"Me too Hermione." said Ron.

Ron looked at Harry for a moment. Then he looked back at Hermione with a more somber expression on his face. Ron said, "And ... I think you and Harry need to spend some time together too. Though, I don't need to hear all of the details about that." The three of them all smiled.

Hermione went over to Ron and gave him a long hug and said; "Thank you Ron."

"Thank you Hermione." said Ron.

Hermione then gave him a kiss on the cheek and said, "Like brother and sister for now?"

"Yes Hermione, but much better."

After a long pause, Harry said, "How about we all go and get something to eat?"

Ron said, "That sounds good to me. My Dad said we still need to watch out for ourselves. There might still be a few who are trying to get power now that you-know-who is dead."

"Fortunately," said Hermione, "this is an almost completely muggle neighborhood. There are some places to eat a few blocks walk from here."

"Great," said Harry. "Let's go."

They spent the next few hours talking, eating, laughing and enjoying each other's company. There was a simple trust, joy, and understanding between them that felt boundless.