Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bond of the Spirits by don-bski
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bond of the Spirits

don-bski


Chapter 4: More than Friends

During the past week, Harry and Hermione were very busy and had only briefly seen each other in the early mornings and late evenings. At Hermione's suggestion, her parents had requested a connection of their floo to the network. Hermione had spent almost all of her time with her parents. She took them to the Ministry and helped them navigate the bewildering and overwhelming organization.

Her parents were now in a training program and completing the necessary security requirements. For the most part, they were experiencing little opposition and red tape from the Ministry officials. This was partly due to Hermione's knowledge of how the Ministry operated. But Hermione also sensed, more than once, that many of the ministry officials they met with, had an unspoken understanding and respect toward her. Her parents noticed this also. Hermione had become upset with one wizard official. She insisted that all the necessary forms be properly completed. While she did not object to getting everything done in a minimum amount of time, she wanted it to be accurate and done with integrity.

This morning, Harry had gotten up early and was eating a quick breakfast. He was about to leave for most of the day with trips to Hogwarts, the Ministry and Diagon Alley. Hermione entered the kitchen still in her pajamas and bathrobe. She had the day to herself and was planning to go and visit Ginny at the Burrow later that morning.

"Good morning," said Harry. "Are we still on for our evening out together tonight?"

"Good morning. Yes. Am I still to dress formally?"

"Absolutely," he said. "I'm sure you've already seen what I will be wearing hanging in my room."

Hermione asked, "And what do you have planned?"

He smiled and said, "It's still a surprise."

"Ok then," she said with a smile. "I'll be ready at five."

"Great," he said. "Ok, gotta go. Have a nice time with Ginny, say hi to her for me. See you later." He took a pinch of floo power and tossed it into the fireplace.

As he stepped into the green flames, Hermione said, "Bye Harry."



Harry returned home and went into his room. He had just enough time to shower and get ready. Harry passed by Hermione's room but the door was closed.

"You ok Hermione?"

"Yes I'm fine, just getting ready." was her reply from behind the closed door.

"Ok." he said and hurried into the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later, he was in his room dressed and ready to go, tickets in his pocket. He couldn't remember if he had ever worn dress slacks, shirt and coat. Just then, the muggle phone began ringing.

"Harry, will you get that," called Hermione from her room.

"Got it," he replied. He made his way to the kitchen, picked up the receiver and said, "Hello?"

There was a pause. Then the voice on the other end of the phone said "Oh sorry, I've dialed the wrong phone number."

"That's ok," he said and hung up the phone. He stepped back into the living room and was adjusting his tie when he heard the door to Hermione's room open. A few seconds later, she entered the room and stood before him. Harry froze and stared as his gaze fell on her, he was unable to speak.

Hermione was wearing a midnight blue evening dress that fit her perfectly in all the right places. She had a loose knit shawl covering her shoulders. She wore gloves that extended halfway up her forearms and matched her shoes. Her hair, elegant and silky looking, was done up in a flattering style. Her eyes sparkled and she smiled warmly, enjoying the effect she was having on him.

After a long moment of silence, Hermione said, "You must like what you see."

"Oh yes, very tidy. You are beautiful!"

Hermione beamed, "Thanks. You look very handsome yourself."

Harry placed his hand over the wand in his coat pocket. A white orchid corsage appeared in his hand and he moved toward her. The subtle and delicate scent of her perfume was exhilarating as he carefully attached the corsage to her dress. Harry smiled to himself at what she was doing to him by just standing there.

Hermione reached into her glove and withdrew a light red carnation. She placed it in the top buttonhole of his coat. heir eyes met briefly.

Harry held out his hand and said, "Ready to go Miss Granger?"

Smiling and placing her hand in his she replied, "Why yes I am, Mister Potter."

He led her out onto the front porch. The door closed and locked behind them. Harry extended his arm and she wrapped her hand around it. He looked at her and after she nodded back to him, they disapparated.



Hand in hand, they walked up to the maitre d who said, "Name sir?"

"James Evans" replied Harry.

"Ah yes, table for two. If you would follow me please."

The maitre d led them to a quiet corner with a view of the city below and seated them. "Your waiter will be with you shortly." He then turned and walked away.

Hermione removed the shawl from her bare shoulders and folded it carefully on the seat next to her. When she looked up, Harry's gaze was fixed on her with that same dream-like expression she had seen earlier.

She smiled sweetly and said, "Am I distracting you, Mister Potter?"

"Oh yes, Miss Granger, you certainly are," he said with a smile. "I wouldn't want it any other way."

With a giggle, Hermione said, "Oh Harry, this is wonderful. I feel like a princess."

Harry felt very happy at these words. "You look like a princess," he said and Hermione blushed smiling at him.

They enjoyed their dinner and company with each other. They talked about their day and laughed at the funny things that had occurred. There was a feeling of comfort between them and they hardly noticed or heard any of the other people dining at the tables nearby.

The waiter had just taken their dessert order (crème brulèe and two spoons) when a middle-aged woman with a camera around her neck approached their table.

"You both look lovely. Picture to remember your evening?"

After a brief glance at each other, they nodded. Moving closer to sit side-by-side, Harry put his arm around Hermione. The photographer raised her camera, looked through the viewfinder and then lowered it again.

"Just a moment," she said. "I need to use a different camera." She pulled a small camera-like object from the bag hanging on her shoulder.

"Ok," she said. "Turn slightly more facing each other. Yes, that's better. On the count of three, I'd like you to turn your heads and look at each other for a moment and then turn them back and look at my camera. Ready? ... one ... two ... three."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and a soft smile and sparkling expression appeared on each of their faces.

"Look back at the camera now," she said softly. After another moment she said, "Got it. That will be great. Give me a few minutes. I'll be right back."

Their dessert arrived and continuing to sit next to each other, began to share it. The photographer returned and handed Harry an envelope saying, "Here you are. You two are a beautiful couple. Have a wonderful evening." She then smiled and left.

As Hermione watched with her head next to his, Harry opened the envelope and withdrew the photograph. A magical picture of them looking at each other and then out of the photograph, greeted their eyes.

Hermione let out a little gasp and said, "I thought it would be just a muggle photo. How did she know?"

"Maybe she saw wrackspurts around our ears."

Hermione rolled her eyes and giggled. "May...be." she said with a smile.

Hermione took the photo and examined it. Harry looked at the envelope. On it was written, 'The Magic Camera, photography for all occasions. Juliette Anderson.' Hermione handed the photo to Harry and he placed it back into the envelope and put it in his coat pocket.

It was after nightfall as they left the restaurant and headed to their destination a few blocks away. They walked arm in arm quietly chatting about the other people they saw and things they noticed. Harry bought a white daisy for her hair as they passed a street vendor. The lights of the surrounding city danced brightly around them.

The last time they had been here was a year previous. They had just escaped death eaters at Bill and Fleur's wedding. It had been the beginning of the darkest of times for them, daily living on the run in doubt and apprehension. The belief, trust and commitment between them had been stressed to the absolute limit. It had held and grown stronger. Their focused energy and efforts beyond themselves had made a difference in the world. But now, all that fear and anxiety was just a distant memory. What mattered now was the present.

As they rounded a corner, a theater marquee came into view. It read, "My Fair Lady." Hermione gave Harry's hand a squeeze and she smiled at him, it was one of her favorite shows. Harry looked at her and felt a warm satisfaction at the excitement in her face. Entering the theater, his thoughtful care for her as they moved down the steep steps to their seats warmed her heart. She felt special being with him.



After the show, they slowly walked back to the secluded place where they could apparate back to their flat. They were quietly talking about the show, its actors and the parts they liked best. They laughed as they quoted lines from the show to each other, Hermione's "enry iggings" done a very good Cockney accent. It was cooler now and Harry had his arm around her shoulder holding her close as they walked. They noticed a few other couples ahead of them who were making their way in the same general direction. The other couples stopped occasionally to admire things in the various shop windows. Harry and Hermione felt certain that these were other magical couples out for the evening and trying not to call attention to themselves as they made their way to the apparation point.



Harry had chosen to return about a block away from their flat. They leisurely walked hand in hand. The moon was bright and the neighborhood was quiet. He wanted to make their date last as long as possible. But all too soon, the walkway leading to the porch of their flat was under their feet.

Harry stopped at the door and turned to face her. She was somehow more lovely and beautiful than he'd noticed before. Her face was radiant, her eyes soft and inviting. He felt his heart began to beat faster. Taking her hands he said, "I had a very nice time with you tonight. I hardly noticed the time passing."

Hermione said, "I felt like I was floating on air. I had a wonderful time." Thinking to herself, she saw the strength and honesty she'd seen many times before on his face. Those lovely green eyes, so familiar and trusting of me. But ... her heart skipped a beat ... something new.

Their gaze locked on each other's eyes and revealed the desire each had for the other in their heart. Time slowed down. Placing his hands on her waist, he slowly moved close and gave her a delicate kiss on her lips lasting just a few seconds. It felt sweet and warm. Her perfume filled his senses.

He opened his eyes to see Hermione with her eyes still closed enjoying the lingering sensation and tenderness. She opened her eyes and slowly placed her arms around his neck. Harry's arms encircled her and drew her close. Heads tilted and eyes closing, their lips met again.

There was a tingling sensation and a flutter of the heart. Warmth enveloped them as each happily gave of them self to the other. A few unnoticed wisps of silvery vapor floated around their heads.

After a short while their lips parted. Hermione rested her chin on Harry's shoulder and sighed. Harry leaned his head against hers and they just held each other breathing deeply.

"I'm very happy right now Harry."

"It feels so peaceful holding you Hermione."

After a short while, Hermione said, "Harry, I want to take our romantic relationship slowly. I want to enjoy every step of our journey together."

"I do too Hermione. It feels wonderful and I don't want to miss any of it."

After another moment, they reluctantly pulled back and looked into each other's eyes. Hermione moved close again and returned the short delicate kiss he had given her. Then, the lock clicked, and the door swung open. She turned and entered their flat. Harry followed.

Crossing the living room toward the hall, she paused. Turning her head to look at him, she said, "Good night Harry. See you in the morning."

"Good night Hermione, sleep well."

"I will Harry," she said with a smile.

Harry watch as she continued to her room and heard the bedroom door click shut. In her room, Hermione spun around in delight and fell back on her bed savoring the feelings of the evening she had just enjoyed with Harry. It couldn't have been more perfect. She hastily took out her diary and began to write. The words flowed rapidly onto the page while she held the flower from her hair in her other hand.

Harry had remained in the living room for a moment, still looking at where he had last seen her as she left the room. It had been a wonderful beginning. Their friendship and trust was still there as strong as ever. But now, there was a new dimension. A door to her heart was open and she was welcoming him in. He had done the same for her. He withdrew the photo from his coat pocket and looked at it for a moment lost in thought and wonder of what the future might bring.

The front door lock clicked behind him. Harry went to his room and slept very well.