Unofficial Portkey Archive

Juliet without Her Romeo by Liz21
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Juliet without Her Romeo

Liz21

Disclaimer: Anything Harry Potter or Romeo and Juliet related is not mine. If I had it my way, Draco would be my Romeo and I'd be his Juliet, without the whole death thing of course.

Summary: They say she died by suicide, but they're wrong. I know because I led her to her death. She died of a broken heart.

A/N: Takes place in Draco's 7th year and Ginny's 6th year. Any sections that speak in first person is Draco.

Juliet without Her Romeo

Chapter One: The Beginning of Her End

They say she died by suicide, but they're wrong.

I know because I led her to her death.

She died of a broken heart.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

7 weeks earlier

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Drakey! Stop pouting and hurry up! I don't want to be late for the ball!"

Draco's pale face winced at Pansy's whiny voice. All that woman ever did was bitch and complain. It was her fault that he was going to this damn ball in the first place. If he had it his way he would sulk in his bedroom the whole night, away from all of the happy people. Why anyone even wanted to go to a masquerade ball beat him. What was the point of dancing when you couldn't even see what females were hot or not?

Draco stepped out of his private bathroom and glared at Pansy who was sitting on his four-poster bed. "I am not wearing this," he said, shaking his gray mask in his right hand.

Pansy rolled her eyes at him. "Drakey, don't be so silly! You have to wear your mask! That's the whole point of the dance! I'm wearing mine."

Draco felt his stomach turn with disgust. Her mask was a bright pink, over polluted with glitter and shine. The only good thing about it was that it covered her boring eyes. It would have done better to cover up her pug nose.

Draco turned to his mirror, relived to have an excuse to look away from her matching dress robe. He stared at his black ones, still too stubborn to put on his mask. His face was too pretty to cover up.

Pretty it was. He no longer wore his blonde-silver hair slicked back; he stopped doing so at the end of his sixth year. It now hung over his stormy gray eyes which still held his usual glare. His flawless skin was that of an angel's, though he was far from one. Taking one last look at his reflection, Draco reluctantly put on his gray mask which covered the top half of his face, ending just above his nose.

Pansy smiled brightly at him, her lip gloss shining a bit too bright. She walked up to him and cooed, "Now that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Draco flinched inwardly as she placed her hand on his arm. "Why are we going to this damn ball in the first place? It's very un-Slytherin like."

Pansy frowned at him. "Just because I want to have fun doesn't mean I'm not a Slytherin. Besides, it's our last year and last dance. We should go."

Draco sent her a glare which she ignored and turned to walk out his door. Annoyed, Draco looked at his reflection and glared at it. Damn mask, it didn't show his famous Malfoy glare. Now what?

Sighing one last time, he followed Pansy out the door, walking as slowly as possible.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No one, not even Potter, deserved this slow, agonizing death. There Draco stood in the Great Hall, bored out of his mind. Fairy lights sparkled above the dancing students' heads, providing some of the only light in the hall. What was the point of the masks if one could hardly see anything around them? It was the fifth dance of the night, and already Pansy has succeeded in dragging him onto the dance floor. He swayed lazily to the slow beat, his arms draped around her. He was too zoned out to even feel Pansy's hips rub suggestively against his. All he wanted to do was get out of there.

He suddenly got his wish. Pansy stopped dancing with a huff. "Drakey!" she squealed angrily.

Draco looked down at her obnoxious mask. "What?" he growled back.

"You're not even dancing! Forget it, I'll find someone else to dance with."

With one last huff of anger she was gone, her hips swaying angrily. Draco rolled his eyes; women. At least he was done being tortured.

Draco casually walked towards the refreshment bar and grabbed a cup to fill with punch. He took a sip, disappointed to find that it wasn't spiked. Didn't anyone know how to have a good party?

He knew he wouldn't have fun, and yet here he was, standing by the punch bowl and looking like a pathetic loser. And why was he still wearing that stupid mask? He went to remove it when a sweet lullaby filled his head.

"This isn't spiked, is it?"

Draco's hand froze in mid-air. He turned to his left, where a delicate figure stood next to him.

The woman smiled at his eye contact. "Did you hear me?" she asked sweetly.

All Draco could do was nod in response to her latest question. What was wrong with him? He has never been speechless before. Then again, he has never seen anyone so beautiful before.

Draco found himself entranced by her slim, curvy body that was visible underneath her forest green dress robe. Her hair was filled with baby's breath flowers and twisted up to the top, it just reaching Draco's shoulders. He tried to make out her hair color, but he couldn't tell with the lack of light. It seemed to be auburn brown or strawberry blonde; something with red. Draco squinted at her face, where he could just make out a few freckles that her simple gold mask didn't manage to hide.

When his eyes flickered down to her soft pink lips, the mysterious woman smiled. Draco felt his stomach flip. She smiled like there was nothing wrong in the world.

"Do I know you?" she asked softly. Her voice was music to his ears.

Not sure of what to say or do, Draco did the first thing that came to his mind. He stuck out his hand and asked breathlessly, "Dance with me?"

The beauty looked at his hand in surprise, but nonetheless took it with another smile, causing his stomach to flip once more. "I'd love too."

Draco never knew how he made it onto the dance floor without bumping into anyone. All the way he never took his eyes off his dancing partner, her doing the same. Her touch was electric, sending shivers down his spine. His knees nearly buckled with an unknown feeling when he placed his other hand around her waist, drawing her close to him. What was happening to him?

She smelled of a sweet peppermint mixed with the scent of the flowers in her hair. Draco fought the sudden urge to draw her close to him, so instead he looked down into her eyes. Soft honey brown ones flickered back at him. He knew he had seen those eyes before, but where?

He was about to question her name when she suddenly closed the gap in- between them and rested her head on his shoulder. Draco's words got lost in his throat, which he managed to gulp down. Her approach gave him new confident as he wrapped his arm around her securely. They fit so well together.

For the remainder of the slow song, they danced in harmony without a work spoken. It was as if both didn't dare to speak in fear of ruining this precious moment. They danced as if no one else was there, and they danced as if they could dance forever. Draco rested his chin on top of her hair, the baby's breath engulfing his nose. Never had anything smelt so sweet before.

But as it is, all good things must come to an end. The music stopped playing, but Draco and his mysterious partner stayed in their position, too afraid to let go. Dumbledore's voice broke Draco free from his trance.

"Attention students! It is now time to take off your masks, and then resume the ball."

All around them, people eagerly took off their masks, some with laughter at who they were really dancing with, other sneers of disgust. Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw Pansy stand in shock at finding out her dancing partner was Harry Potter. Honestly, couldn't she tell a Gryffindor from the rest of them?

Taking a deep breath, Draco released his grip and pulled away. He looked down into the masked face of the beauty, and made a move to take off his mask when she gently grabbed his hand. "Not here," she whispered. "Let's go to the courtyards."

Draco nodded in agreement and without a word he led her outside, hand in hand. A cool breeze swept through the dark sky, causing her to shiver. Draco put his arm around her, sending warmth up and down his body. She smiled up at him, and for the first time in the night Draco smiled back.

They settled near a bench with fairies carved into the sides and rose bushes surrounding them. The moonlight poured over them as they turned to face each other. Draco was so fixed on the idea of about to know who this young woman was, that he didn't even notice the bright red hair.

"Ready?" she asked quietly.

"Wait," Draco said suddenly. He gently took her hands and squeezed them lightly. "Before we reveal ourselves, may I ask for something?" Was he really saying this? Was Draco Malfoy honestly asking for something, instead of just taking as he pleased?

She nodded her head, her lips separating as if she knew what was to be asked of.

"Just a simple kiss to end this wonderful night."

She nodded slightly, and underneath the mask Draco could see her eyes flutter shut. Draco took one last breath and leaned into heaven.

The moment their lips made contact, a joy Draco has never experience swept through his empty body. The sudden rush made Draco press his lips down harder and his arms wrapped out her body. She responded with equal determination, her arms around his neck and pulling him closer.

Never has he kissed lips so soft that took his breath away. He heard her whimper slightly under his touch, and this made Draco smile against her lips.

Keeping his promise to a simple kiss, Draco slowly pulled away, never taking his eyes off of hers. Her smile was radiant, making her face brighter than Draco never thought was possible.

"Ready?" Draco asked.

She nodded, and with great anticipation they both pulled off their masks with one swift moment.

Draco turned to look across from him with a smile of excitement over his face, only for his mask to slip from his fingers in shock.

"Weasley??"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"My only love sprung from my only hate! Too early seen unknown, and known too late! Prodigious birth of love it is to me, That I must love a loathed enemy." - Romeo and Juliet Act I, Scene V

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hope you guys enjoyed it! Yes the whole masquerade ball is really overused.but I don't care! It worked, so yeah. This obviously is a chapter story, so expect more soon. I am way excited over this story. Thanks and please review!

Liz21