Unofficial Portkey Archive

Juliet without Her Romeo by Liz21
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Juliet without Her Romeo

Liz21

Disclaimer: Anything Harry Potter or Romeo and Juliet related is not mine. If I had it my way, Draco would be my Romeo and I'd be his Juliet, without the whole death thing of course.

Summary: They say she died by suicide, but they're wrong. I know because I led her to her death. She died of a broken heart.

A/N: Takes place in Draco's 7th year and Ginny's 6th year. Any sections that speak in first person is Draco.

Juliet without Her Romeo

Chapter Six: Caught Up In Love

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You're seeing someone, aren't you?"

Ginny quickly looked up from her book she was reading by the warm fireplace in the Gryffindor common room at Laura standing over her with two cups of hot cocoa in her hands.

"I'm sorry, what did you just say?" Ginny said with a smile of thanks as Laura handed her one cup before sitting down next to her on the carpet floor.

Taking a sip from her drink, Laura looked at her from over her cup. "You're seeing someone secretly," she repeated. Before she let Ginny reply she added, "I mean, it all adds up. You've been so distant for this past month, been sneaking off every night and not returning till morning,"

Ginny nearly dropped her cup from shock. "I've told you already, I've been going to the kitchens for a midnight snack and then would go do some late homework wherever I could without getting caught."

"You don't honestly expect me to believe that, do you?" Laura asked as she set her cup down on the floor. "I mean your brother and his friends might, but they don't know you like I do, or how I used to."

Ginny frowned at her friend. "Laura, don't be like that. I'm still the same person as I've always been."

Laura slowly shook her head, her brown and blue hair swaying with the movement. "No, no you're not, Ginny. It seems whenever we're together anymore you're always in deep thought or just quiet."

Ginny stared at her with sudden anger. "So just because I'm quieter than usual you automatically assume that I'm seeing someone behind everyone's back?"

"That's what I'm talking about, Gin! You would have never jumped down my throat because of an assumption I made."

Ginny diverted her eyes from Laura and stared silently into the fire. The day she found out about Draco being a Death Eater she promised herself that she wouldn't tell anyone about their relationship. It was too dangerous that she couldn't even trust her own friends. She sighed quietly looking back at her angry but concerned friend. She felt guilty keeping something like this from her, but if it meant risking everything for Draco, she would do it in a heartbeat.

"Well people change sometimes," Ginny muttered as she set her cup on the floor next to Laura before standing up, "and if you can't accept who I am, then maybe we shouldn't be friends."

Laura stared up with her in shock, too stunned by her words to stand up to her height. "You can't be serious, Gin."

Tears started to creep to Ginny's eyes, but she ignored them. "I'm sorry, Laura, but I can't be friends with you right now. You're asking too many questions, and it would be safer if we stopped talking for awhile."

"Safer?" Laura yelled as she quickly stood up. "Safe from what?"

Ginny looked at her friend hard before answering, "Safe from me and my new life." With that Ginny quickly walked out of the common room without looking back.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Draco was on his way out of his common room to go to Slytherin's room early to set up his surprise for Ginny, when he heard someone clear their throat loudly behind him. He turned around with annoyance to Pansy, who had her hands placed angrily on her hips and her face scrunched up. She was pissed off.

"Draco Malfoy!" her screeching voice made Draco want to rip off his ears. "You did it again!"

"Did what again, Pansy?" Draco asked innocently as he eyed the door out. So close, but yet so far.

"You left me! First the dance, and then the jewelry shop! Honestly, don't you ever learn?"

Not going to take her crap, Draco flat out said, "No, don't you ever learn? Haven't you figured it out by now that maybe I don't want to be with you?"

Pansy opened her mouth to yell at him, but closed it quickly. Draco raised his eyebrows, impressed at himself for making her speechless. Shaking his head at her, he headed out of the common room, happy to get away from her clutches.

He was a footstep into freedom when he heard her angry footsteps follow him. 'Why won't she just leave me alone?' he asked himself angrily before turning around to wait for her. Sure enough, Pansy came out of the entrance and walked right up to him.


"There's another girl, isn't there?"

Draco raised an eyebrow at her, but that's as much emotion he showed to her. "And why would that be?"

"Well, the idea of not wanting to be with me is just crazy. The only reason for your odd behavior towards me is because," she stopped suddenly with a gasp. "You're under a love spell! Oh, my poor Drakey!"

Draco stared at her with disgust before he started to walk away from her. He had enough, and if he was going to stand there another minute he would have burst into laughter.

Pansy's voice echoed in the hallway after him. "Don't you see, Draco? Some horrible witch is turning you against me so she can have you all to herself! Don't worry, I'll find out who it is and make sure she gets the punishment she deserves!"

Once Draco turned the corner and was out of sight, he let out a chuckle. "You do that, Pansy," he muttered underneath his breath. After checking to make sure she wasn't still following him, he headed for the Slytherin statue.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Draco checked his watch as he stood outside the statue. It was only 11:30 and he was early, but that went well according to his plan. After saying the password and walking into the door that appeared, Draco went to go close the door after him when a soft sound came from the inside of the room.

Gripping his wand tightly, Draco crept further into the room with his back against the wall. Taking slow, quiet steps, he gradually made his way into the main room where he paused. The sound grew louder, confirming that someone was definitely inside. Taking a deep breath, Draco jumped away from the wall and into position with his wand pointing right towards,

"Ginny!" Draco exclaimed with a deep breath. "Angel, we have to stop meeting like this," he said half joking, half annoyed. That was the second time that day he could have accidentally hurt her.

Ginny sat on the edge of the bed with her back towards him, and didn't respond. Curious, Draco walked around to face her and found her with her hands covering her face. She let out a muffled sob, which explained the noise he heard earlier.

Immediately alarmed, Draco rushed over and dropped down onto his knees in front of her. "Angel, what's wrong?" Draco soothed as he went to remove her hands.

Ginny's face was beat red from crying, her eyes puffy and wet. She hastily wiped her tears away. "Nothings wrong, Draco. I'm just had a little fight with Laura," she said as she stared at her hands.

Draco frowned slightly. He didn't know much of Laura except that she was a Gryffindor, but he knew that she was one of Ginny's closest friends. "About what?" Draco asked quietly.

"It was nothing, Draco. Don't worry about it," she said as she wiped away her last tears. After she was done she smiled at him, happy that he was there. "Why are you here so early?"

Draco stood up to sit next to Ginny on the bed. He suddenly felt foolish saying that he was going to fill the room with lit candles and roses with magic, so instead he just shrugged his shoulders. "I needed to get away from Pansy."

Ginny nodded her head before resting it against Draco's shoulder. "I know what you mean," she agreed quietly.

They sat like that for a few more minutes before Draco remembered why tonight was so special in the first place. He quickly sat up from the bed and faced Ginny again. "I actually wanted to give you something," he said as he pulled out the small velvet box from his pocket.

Ginny's eyes grew wide at the box, knowing immediately it was jewelry. Her eyes grew even wider when Draco opened the box for her, showing her the crystal ring inside.

Draco didn't know what to expect from her response, but dead silence was not what he was hoping for. "It's a promise ring," he said as he took it out with a silver chain attached to it. "I put it on a necklace only because if you wear it on your hand, people might start asking too many questions. But it was said to be made by,"

"The tears of an angel," Ginny interrupted. She broke her gaze from the ring and slowly brought her tear filled eyes to Draco's searching ones. "I remember my mother telling me about them when I was younger. They're actually supposed to be impossible to find because,"

"Because it's the only one of its kind," Draco said, finishing her sentence. "The second I saw it, I knew it was for you."

Ginny stared at the ring in amazement. "I can't accept it, Draco. It must have been so expensive."

Draco shook his head quickly. "Don't worry about the price, love. You were worth every cent."

Ginny opened her mouth to object when Draco added quickly, "Plus it's a gift."

Ginny looked up at him with curious eyes. "A gift for what?"

Draco smiled at her sheepishly. "Well, it's been a month since we came together and I just wanted to show you how much you mean to me and how thankful I am that we survived this long."

Ginny smiled at his words, tears of happiness building up. "Thank you, Draco," she said as she stood up next to him to give him a kiss. "But you didn't have to buy me anything, I know how you feel."

Draco smiled at her. "I know, I know," he said as he played with the ring.

Ginny looked down at the ring and asked, "Aren't you supposed to do something to the ring? Some kind of spell or words has to be spoken."

"We're supposed to make a promise on it," Draco said as his hand stilled. "And I already thought of one."

Ginny slowly nodded her head as she stared at Draco anxiously.

Draco unhooked the clasp, and as he put on the necklace around her neck he whispered, "I promise, Ginny Weasley, that I will love you till my dying day."

Once the words were spoken and the necklace was in place, the ring lit up once to show the promise was real. Once the ring returned back to its crystal state, Draco looked at Ginny, who had tears pouring down her face.

"I love you so much, Draco," Ginny said as she leaned in for a kiss.

"I love you too," Draco murmured as he lowered his head to her. His lips just brushed over hers when he paused.

"Is something wrong?" Ginny whispered, her breath tickling his face.

Draco shook his head. "I thought I heard something," he said before brushing it off. He went to kiss Ginny again when he raised his head.

"Do you hear that?" Draco said as he slowly let go of Ginny's waist.

Ginny stared at him curiously before straining her ears, searching for the sound. "Yeah, I do actually," she said as she let go of Draco. "It sort of sounds like,"

"Footsteps," Draco finished quickly as he stepped away from Ginny and pulled out his wand.

"But how is that possible?" Ginny asked as she watched Draco walk away from her towards the entrance. "This room is sound proof. We've never been able to hear anything from the hallway before."

Draco quickly ran back into her view, his face ghostly white. "The door is open," he said in disbelief.

"What?" Ginny exclaimed, as she ran into view of the door, Draco following behind. It was indeed wide open.


"I forgot to close it," Draco said, running his hand through his hair. "I can't believe I forgot to close it."

Ginny turned around, facing him with wide eyes. "Do you think anyone heard us? Or even saw us?"

Draco opened his mouth to answer when he stopped. The same footsteps they both heard earlier filled the silence in the hallway. Without a word spoken, Draco gently pushed Ginny out of the way before running out of the room.

With his wand in his hand, Draco looked down the left side of the hallway where he heard a hurried pair of footsteps. He just saw a robed figure turn the corner.

"Hey, you!" Draco yelled at the person before running after them. He had to find out who it was, make sure they didn't speak a word of this to anyone.

He turned the corner in lightning speed, only to appear in a completely empty hallway. He frantically opened the few doors nearby, but every room was empty.

"Damnit!" he yelled furiously. Losing his temper he angrily punched the brick wall, immediately regretting his actions. The bones cracked underneath the sudden pressure, and blood oozed down his knuckles.

Draco leaned against the wall, slumping down to the floor. He didn't know how long he sat there, cradling his injured hand, until he heard footsteps running towards him.

"Draco? Oh my gosh, are you hurt?"

Draco ignored Ginny's worried calls and continued to stare at the wall across from him in a trance. Not until did Ginny bend down in front of him and gasp at his injury did he speak.

"He's going to find out, Gin. Someone knows about us and my father is going to find out. He always does."

Ginny quickly shook her head as she tried to pull Draco off the ground. "No he won't, Draco. Some person could have just been walking by and you spooked them," she said quickly, even though she knew it would have been too good to be true.

When Ginny finally succeeded in getting Draco to stand up, she started to lead him towards the hospital wing. "Did you see the person's face or anything?"

Draco slowly shook his head. "Nothing," he muttered. "Where are we going?" he said, finally looking around them.

"To get your hand fixed," Ginny replied. She glanced at Draco worriedly, and frowned at him. "Draco, it was an honest mistake to leave the door open. Stop beating yourself up over it."

Draco stopped in the hallway, dragging Ginny with him. "You don't understand how serious this is, Gin. Someone here knows about us because I wasn't careful enough to make sure I did something as simple as closing the door!"

Draco stopped yelling when he saw Ginny flinch at his loud voice, making him quiet down immediately. "Ginny," he said with a forced calm, "I don't want to see you in any danger. Maybe we should break it off before anyone else finds out."

"No!" Ginny exclaimed loudly. "I won't let you do that, Draco! That's just running away from the problem, not solving it."

"But Gin,"

"No buts," Ginny snapped. "Don't worry about me, Draco. I'll be fine as long as I have you."

Draco sighed loudly, knowing for her tone that the discussion was over. They continued their walk to the hospital wing and rounded a corner, walking right into Snape.

"Well, well if it isn't Miss Weasley, out of bed after hours," Snape's voice drawled with apparent excitement.

Draco and Ginny both froze in their spots. Noticing that Snape didn't even mention him, Draco quickly said, "That's right, Professor. I caught the little Weasley and decided to bring her to Professor McGonagall myself."

Snape's eyes shined over to his favorite student. "Good job, Mister Malfoy. Since you are a prefect, you are able to take off points if you wish."

Draco smirked at Snape, trying to hide a smile. "Don't worry, sir. I was planning on that also."

Snape nodded at him, and glared at Ginny before continuing on his way. Once he was out of sight, Draco sighed loudly. "That was too close," he said to Ginny who was trying to hold in a giggle.

"Hey!" she exclaimed suddenly. "You called me little Weasley!"

Draco grinned at her. "Well I didn't think Snape would buy the whole act if I called you angel."

Ginny thought for a second, before breaking out into laughter. "I would have loved to see his face if you did say that," she said as they continued their walk.

Draco's sudden serious face made her stop giggling, knowing what he was going to say. "Okay, okay," she said before he had a chance to talk. "We'll be more careful for now on."

"Thank you," Draco said before he took another look around. "But you should go before we run into anyone else, like Granger or even worse, your brother."

Ginny nodded and started to walk towards the Gryffindor tower before calling out, "You better go get your hand fixed though!"

Draco grumbled at her, and as he walked into the hospital wing, he couldn't help but sigh once more with worry. The uneasy feeling in his stomach grew, and it was starting to weigh him down.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"To breathe such vows as lovers us'd to swear; And she as much in love, her means much less To meet her new-beloved any where: But passion lends them power, time means, to meet, Tempering extremity with extreme sweet."

-Romeo and Juliet
Act II Scene I

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Shorter than the one before, but still long enough! Hope you guys enjoyed it! And trust me when I say it's just getting good! Please review!!

Thank you to all those who have reviewed so far! I love you guys!

Liz21