Unofficial Portkey Archive

Juliet without Her Romeo by Liz21
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Juliet without Her Romeo

Liz21

Disclaimer: Anything Harry Potter or Romeo and Juliet related is not mine. If I had it my way, Draco would be my Romeo and I'd be his Juliet, without the whole death thing of course.

Summary: They say she died by suicide, but they're wrong. I know because I led her to her death. She died of a broken heart.

A/N: Takes place in Draco's 7th year and Ginny's 6th year. Any sections that speak in first person is Draco.

Juliet without Her Romeo

Chapter Two: Too Late to Turn Back?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Draco stared at Ginny Weasley, shock and disbelief running through his body. This had to be some kind of joke. He couldn't have shared that memorable night with a Weasley, his loathed enemy. He stood there frozen, his mouth hanging open as he took in the red hair and the freckles. He ignored the beauty in her face, or the curves of her body. All he could see was red, spots, and hate.

"Weasley?" he repeated once more.

"You already said that," she said rather annoyed. "Maybe if you say it one more time, I'll disappear."

Draco stared at her, now his eyes were wide with surprise. He in general looked very un-Malfoy like. He wanted to tell her that her disappearing would only bring happiness to him, but instead he said, "How can you joke around at a time like this?"

Ginny raised an eyebrow up at him. "A time like this?" she repeated.

"We just kissed!" Draco exclaimed. As if he just reminded himself that they did indeed share a kiss, he wiped his lips clean with his sleeve, ignoring Ginny's death glare. "A Malfoy and a Weasley just kissed!" he continued. "How can you act like nothing happened?"

"Draco," she said slowly. "Settle down. I don't know why you're overreacting." Ginny paused and took a second to stare at the blonde haired boy. "Actually, you look quite cute when you freak out."

Draco closed his mouth firmly and narrowed his eyes at her. Now he looked like a Malfoy. "First," he said coldly, "You do not call a Malfoy cute. Second, I didn't give you permission to call me Draco, Weasley. And third, why the hell are you so bloody calm?"

Ginny smiled at him, making him feel weak. Her smiles were beautiful. "Look, Draco, I'm just as shocked as you are about this whole situation," she said quietly, "But I know I can't ignore that moment I just had, no matter who I shared it with."

Draco's tense expression relaxed a little at her words. "And what moment was that?" he asked curiously.

Ginny's pale face blushed with a crimson red, clashing beautifully with her hair. "I don't think words can describe it," she said while staring him in the eyes. "But all I know is I've never felt anything so right before."

Draco stared at her, unaware of how close they were right now. He opened his mouth to speak, but Ginny placed her small hand over his lips. He gulped nervously at the feel of her skin. "Don't tell me that you didn't feel that also," she whispered.

Draco stared into her honey brown eyes, saw them bright with happiness. He briefly wondered what she saw in his own two eyes before he thought back at when he first saw her and how he felt. Or of when he held her in his arms as they danced together slowly, their bodies fitting together as if they were meant for each other.

She slowly lowered her hand from his mouth, her fingers delaying on his bottom lip. Missing the contact of her touch, Draco licked his lips as she stepped closer to him, closing any space in-between them. She took her hand again and gently touched his cheek with it. Draco closed his eyes and leaned his face into her hand, promising himself that he would never forget how her hand felt.

He slowly leaned his head down towards her lips, but then suddenly took a step back, causing her hand to fall to her side. "No," Draco said loudly, shaking his head. "No, this won't work."

"And why not?" she said, her voice shaking slightly. "I know you feel what I feel, Draco. Why won't it work?"

"Because you're a Weasley and I'm a Malfoy," Draco said sternly. A bit too sternly, as it brought tears to her eyes.

"What's in a name?" Ginny questioned him. "I mean, who cares what our last name is?"

"My father does, all of your brothers do, and," Draco paused to think for a second, "I do."

Ginny shook her head at him. "No you don't. You just pretend you do because it gives you a reason to hate my brother."

Her comment caught Draco off guard, making him pause for a second. He stared at her, trying to think of something to make up for his hesitation. "Don't tell me who I am and who I'm not," he snapped.

Ginny's eyes grew wide at his reaction towards her, but she quickly narrowed them. "That's right; you have your father to tell you that."

Draco stared at her, surprised that she would use that tactic to get to him. "Don't talk about things you don't understand," he said slowly, making sure she heard every word clearly.

"He's the problem, isn't he? You don't have a problem with me being a Weasley, your father does."

Draco didn't say a word as the answer was quite clear to both of them. Ginny slowly shook her head at him with pity. "Why are you so afraid of him?"

Draco lowered his eyes to the ground. "You don't know what my father is capable of."

"You'd be surprised," she said quietly.

Draco looked up at her with confused eyes, and was about to ask her what she meant when he thought he heard footsteps. He quickly took another step away from her, afraid that they would be seen together.

"Draco," Ginny called out, and went to reach for his hand. Tears started to drip from her eyes.

Draco stepped out of her reach. "Don't," he warned. Later when he thought back to that moment, he wondered if he was telling her no or himself.

"Why?" she asked quietly. "Why are you turning your back on this?"

"Because turning my back is easier than watching my father destroy everything I love!"

Ginny's surprised expression made Draco realize what he just said. "You, you love me?" Ginny repeated slowly, afraid to say it

in case he didn't mean it.

The nearby footsteps frightened Draco, and he wanted to look for the intruder, but he was mesmerized by Ginny's face. Her eyes were wide with fright and excitement, gleaming from the tears she shed. Her face was flushed, and she nervously bit her bottom lip.

Draco shook himself mentally. Now was not a time to drown in her beauty. "It doesn't matter," he said quickly. He knew it was too late to erase what he just said, there was no point lying about it. "It doesn't matter because we are never going to happen."

The way he emphasized never was enough to bring Ginny to tears once more, but she slowly shook her head at him. "I don't believe you. You know why?"

Draco just turned his back on her to walk away when she asked him that question. He froze, wanting to know why she had so much doubt in him. "Why?" he asked without turning around and looking at her.

"Because I can see it in your eyes that you want to be with me just as much as I want to be with you."

Draco closed his eyes tightly at her words. Later he looked back at that moment, and wished that he could have told her how wrong she was. But even then he couldn't lie to himself. So instead, he slowly walked away from her for the first time, but not the last time, in her life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet,"

-Romeo and Juliet
Act II, Scene II

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I have a feeling this story is going to be a tear jerker! Hope you guys are enjoying it so far. Next chapter Draco has to deal with his choice of walking away, and he may go back on his decision.

And who was the owner of the footsteps?

Please review!!

Liz21