Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and Devil's Lessons by The Dark Aeon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and Devil's Lessons

The Dark Aeon

Chapter 13: The End is Nigh, so let the Darkness Come

Author's Note: This chapter is R, at least in my mind.

To me, this is a powerful chapter, not because of the religion, but rather the spirituality of Roland and the world he has brought with him. There are some of my key philosophies within this chapter, so I hope you can understand my beliefs through them.

I've begun to place myself in the stories, not directly as a character, but as an author with his values and beliefs. This one just pushes it even further. A lot of what I said in the first couple chapters ends here, at least in my mind.

davaca: what questions do you have that you don't understand. Either IM me or email me with them so I can answer them. Majority of the answers are there, if you just look.

No88Zero I out did my self in this chapter…

* * * * * *

Harry couldn't move. The sheer fact that this was happening stopped him from doing anything. Mrs. Granger had tears on her eyes, whether from pain or from fear, Harry would never know. For a red light came from the doorway, hitting Hermione's mum. And what happened destroyed three innocents.

When the blood red light came into contact with Mrs. Granger, she flew forward, screaming as she traveled through the air. Her body exploded, sending pieces of it in all directions. Some hair landed right in front of Roland, and Hermione just fell to her knees, the tears were flowing; yet no sound had come from her. Some of the blood landed on Harry's face, clouding his vision and his reason. It was impossible. Mrs. Granger was just brutally murdered, in such a way that there was no chance of an open casket funeral, if there was enough for that.

It was strange; this entire time Harry heard nothing, not since Mrs. Granger came running out, screaming. Sound had stopped working. Time had slowed down as well, it wasn't until Harry felt the blood upon his face did time return to its normal speed.

"Harry," Roland stood up. A large amount of the remains had landed upon him. His face was covered in blood, dripping down from his hair. "Get Hermione in the car, now." This was no request; this was a command.

Moving over to Hermione, he wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly. Harry had lost his voice for a moment. "Harry, just go. Ron, drive them away." Ron started to speak, but Roland continued. "Any where, just get away from here." Ron ran towards the car, fumbling with the keys. Harry didn't move. He just stared at Roland.

"Are you deaf boy?" Roland yelled. "Get the fucking away from here. Don't you see you're in danger?" He grabbed Harry, practically throwing him toward the car. "Go, flee, just get away from here." Harry moved slowly, pulling Hermione with him. A demonic roar came from within the house, shaking the neighborhood. Harry felt like his heart was going to explode. Roland didn't even look at the house. His once covered eyes were pleading with Harry. The sunglasses had fallen off, and two red orbs now stared at the Boy-Who-Lived. His skin was darkening as he spoke. "I don't want to see die tonight, please just go." Two horns were forming on Roland's head. "Harry I promise you on my very soul, you will know what is happening, but now. Just go, and I'll explain later."

The car door opened up, and Harry looked at it. He wanted to know what was going on, but with the crying girl within his arms, his heart told him that the knowledge would come later; she was his concern now. Harry nodded, and got into the car. Ron had finally started it, and was waiting for Harry to get in. He took one more look at Roland, only to see two large crow wings growing out of his back. If someone so hideous hadn't just happened, then it would have been beautiful. For this bleak moment, there seemed to be a bit of sunlight, and it was then that Harry realized that everything was lost.

* * * * * *

Roland screamed in pain as his wings grew out of his back. It had always been painful, as had most of his transformation been. Now it was even worst. With the pain of Mrs. Granger echoing in his dark mind, and the pain of Mr. Granger inside, he knew that almost everything was lost. Almost.

As his talons formed from his hands, Roland glared forward. He listened to the car screech away, and he said a little prayer for the children in the car. No, he thought, they aren't children any more. Horrors were placed upon these men and woman; something that should have never happened. They were children; yet no older than he was when his tragedy happened. There was so much pain in the world. And now it came upon this small house.

Father Sky began to cry, knowing what its brother was going to do. Red lightning struck across the sky, and the thunder rolled. Roland opened his mind and his soul to the world around him, taking in the power from its source. Unlike most wizards' power, Roland was limited only to that of Mother Earth's will. She protected her children, and thus was the reason for his existence.

A bolt of lightning scorched the ground in front of him, and a black sword appeared when the dust settled, sheathed in the ground. Something growled within the house, something dark and evil. A beast bounding on four limbs came out the door, pausing just in front of Roland. It had seen its brother. It had seen its death.

Roland took a step forward, grabbing the sword and swinging it in a single motion. Nothing happened, save Roland appearing on the other side of the beast. At an angle, the creature's chest fell back, blood pouring from the body. It was a clean cut, no snags, no pauses. Just straight through the Damned's body. "Perfect," Roland whispered. His transformation was just becoming complete. Two ram horns perturbed from his forehead, as his talons gripped the sword. The two crow wings flapped behind him, as the wind increased. Rain began to pour down, but all Roland could see was blood falling from the sky. An omen for the death that had come and was coming.

The lights inside the house were turned out; leaving whom ever was left in pitch darkness. Roland sniffed the air, taking in who was within the house: a human and three beasts of Damned. There was a pile of blood, along with… Roland's face fell… burnt skin. There were seven heartbeats, two for each beast, and a very faint human one, growing slower with each passing moment. There was no time for waiting. Reaching deep within his soul, Roland felt his power, his control, his balance. Even though she was far away, he knew that she was there. Deep within his very being, she was there, holding him together. And he knew that he would be all right in the end.

Roland gathered his power, summoning the skies to cry havoc upon the dogs of War. Red lightning pierced the forsaking clouds and struck the ground outside. It was his calling card, one that every demon knew and feared.

"Our Father, in heart and heaven, hollow be thy name…" Roland whispered, closing his eyes. It would be moments before others came, and he would need all the strength he could get. "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as in heaven…" steps came closer, and Roland swung his sword, slashing through an arm. A beast cried out in pain, in words no human mind could understand. "Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive our trespasses…" He kept his eyes closed, praying that he would be forgiven. "And forgive those who trespass against us…" Roland's sword went through the stomach of a demon. And he kept his eyes closed as the demon tried back into the man it once was. "Lead us not into temptation…" And he kept his eyes closed as a tear feel down his blacken cheek. In a moment, the three demons were dead, leaving nothing but what was once human. "And deliver us from evil. Amen." He dropped his sword and cried no more. The skies cried for him.

* * * * * *

As Ron drove, Harry tried to calm Hermione down. She hadn't said anything since they left her house. The tears cascaded upon her cheeks, and her grip on Harry was iron, but she said nothing. Harry knew that she needed to get all the pain, all the suffering out of her, however long it took. He held her close, pulling her into his lap, and rubbed her back. She needed him, and Harry needed to be strong for her. They all witnessed something traumatic.

No one talked. No one wanted to. They all just wished that it couldn't, but reality came as the rain did. Hermione stopped crying a while ago. At some point, Ron had reached a highway, and sped onto it. Harry figured that Ron just wanted to drive away from the world right now.

The storm stopped, as did Hermione's crying, but for the latter, Harry figured she just fell asleep in his arms. Ron looked back at them at one point, a face of disgust painted from his eyes. When his eyes returned to the road, the car screeched to a halt. In front of them was a man in a tattered coat; with two large wings sprouting from his back. He walked over to them, the wings dissolving into his back. When the man opened the door and spoke, Harry realized that it was Roland. "Move over, I'm driving now."

His face was covered with caked-on blood, save a single path for a single tear. He glared at them with pain-filled blues eyes. At some point he transformed back into the person they knew. Harry never realized that Roland had blue eyes; they were always hidden by the darkness. But there was something odd about them as if they were fake or manufactured in some way.

Ron climbed over in the sit, allowing Roland to get in. As soon as he sat down, he gunned the car, speeding as fast as possible. He didn't even close the door until they were moving. "What's going on?" Ron asked.

"Before man was born, there were angels, or Celestials if you will. Beings of great power, and even greater knowledge. They were radiating lights, with barely a form. And each was unique, each special. They were the precursor to something else. In time, He created humans. And some of the Celestials were jealous of the humans, for though they were created first your kind was most revered." Roland turned sharply, nearly spinning out. The car was completely turned around now, and he sped forward. "At some point, the laws and the rules of the controlling God were too much for these jealous Celestials, so they waged war."

Roland turned sharply again, this down, heading down a side street. At some point, they arrived in London. "The jealous Celestials, or the Damned, lost the war, and were cast out of heaven for their disobedience. The Morning Star was thrown the farthest for he lead the war. In time, many of these Damned changed, finding ways to strike back at the God who forsaken them for Humans. The first act being in the Garden of Eden, paradise. That is where Man's history begins. There are two types of Demons in this world, those who choose and those who are born. Many humans choose, and many Damned are born. Few, if none, of the Damned escape their written lives. These creatures, both human and the Damned, become Demons, corrupting and torturing Humans for the sake of pleasure or revenge, often both."

They continued along, speeding down side street. They were coming up to a stoplight and when it turned red, Roland didn't even slow down. He sped right through, and a car was coming from the left side, threaten to hit it. Ron screamed like a little girl, while Harry just closed his eyes, and pulled Hermione closer. After a few moments, he opened them again, and saw that nothing happened. Ron was still shaking, frozen with his eyes open, looking where the car had come from. "Demons gain their power though the evil actions of others. The Damned on the other hand, take their power from the Earth. The Celestials from the heavens."

"Then what was back at the Grangers?" Harry asked, as Ron had yet to move.

"Demons, of course," Roland said. "The Damned aren't cruel." Harry noticed how he left out the Celestials.

"And what are you?" Harry replied. When Roland didn't answer, Harry took it as that he didn't want to talk about it.

"That is the million dollar question Harry," Roland said, finally slowing the car down. Harry looked out the window and saw a church right out side. "Something I'm hoping that one day I will find out." He opened the door, and got out the car, right in incoming traffic. But that didn't stop him or the cars. Instead, the one that came close to hitting him simply passed through Roland's body. "Come, take Hermione and get inside. The first words as you enter need to be Sanctuary." Roland opened the door, pointing at the church doors.

Harry didn't know what to do, but after what he had seen, he figured that it was better to trust Roland than anything else. He picked up Hermione and got out of the car as carefully as he could, holding her close. Harry figured that she had woken up, as she arms tightened as his foot hit the pavement. Yet she didn't move, other than pulling herself closer to him. Walking slowly, and holding Hermione's head close to his heart, Harry made his way over to the church. When he reached the door, it opened under it own accord. Standing in front of Harry was an old man wearing what looked like a suit. "Hello can I help you?" he asked.

Harry didn't say anything; he just walked in before looking at the man, remembering Roland's words. "Sanctuary, I am seeking sanctuary." There was this glow from within, and Harry felt it stronger than when he entered the church.

"Of course, my child," The old man replied. "You both have and always will have God's Sanctuary. May the ground you walk on protect your souls." Harry felt the glow grow, to the point when he actually saw it within himself and Hermione. There was this golden aura around them, lasting only for a few moments, before dying away. "Come; let's get you out of the cold air." The priest started to close the door, but a hand shot out, stopping him.

"Sanctuary, I'm looking for sanctuary," it was Ron. His voice was forceful as if he didn't want to ask for the help that the priest was giving.

The priest didn't reply as quickly as he did with Harry. Instead, he just stared at him, thinking upon the answer. "Come in, and respect the House of God. May the earth show the same kindness you've shown it." He glared at Ron as he entered, who in turn glared at Harry for holding Hermione. It was as if his best friend was laying claim upon Hermione. Harry noticed that his friend didn't glow like they did.

"Where is…" the priest took a look out the door, and paused. "Oh." Harry looked around the man to see Roland kneeling in front of the church, his weapon held out in service. He was mumbling in some ancient language forgotten even by the sands and the rivers. Hermione began to stir within his arms, but the moment she opened her eyes, a bolt of red lightning hit her cousin, burning him and the ground he stood on. "All is alright dear," the priest said, "he has permission to enter." He turned to Harry, "here, let me take her, go help him." Harry just pulled Hermione closer.

"Its okay, Gabron," Roland said, standing up in the smoke. "I'll be fine once I get indoors." He limped slowly up the stairs, a cape now draped behind him. His long black hair was held in a braid the rested upon his shoulder. He was regal, and there was this aromatic essence that radiated love and hope, yet hate and death at the same moment. And for just a single second, Harry was terrified about who was standing in front of them.

"You must tell me about your adventures," Gabron said, "have you found any new lore?" Roland shook his head as he walked it, his cape dancing behind him. He paused at Harry, and he could've sworn that the man was going to kneel before the Boy-Who-Lived, but at the last moment, Roland held back.

"I have a few things," Roland replied, smiling. His face was tan, and offset the red orbs that floated with his head. "But first, let us warm by the fires." He and Gabron walked deeper into the church. Harry now took in the old place of worship. The old pews were worn, and the lights that hung from the high ceiling shook as Gabron closed the door. The two older men walked along, discussing about Roland's journeys. Both of them seemed oblivious of them, Ron just glared at Harry and Hermione. Harry, on the other hand, seemed fascinated by the church. There was a sense of hearth and home here, something he hadn't felt in a long time. The first time was when he realized that he loved Hermione.

"Hey," Ron shouted, "what about us?" Gaborn turned around and stared at Ron as if he had an extra head coming out of his neck.

"In the back, there some food, blankets, and a few beds. Why don't go get some rest while we wait?" Gaborn replied. Ron's face lit up at the sight of food. He raced toward the door that the priest had pointed too. But Harry remained.

"You want answers?" Roland asked. He continued walking toward the confessional. "Then give me a few moments." The man entered the door; Gaborn entered another one, just adjacent to the first.

Harry took a seat in the first pew, waiting for the men to come out. Hermione smiled as she curled up in his lap. Harry kissed her forehead softly. "You can open your eyes now." Hermione returned the smile, but only pulled herself closer. "It is safe now." He began to pet her hair, and she let out a soft sigh of contentment.

"Just five more minutes, mum," she replied, but a lone tear slide down her cheek. As much as Hermione wanted to live in that charade, she couldn't. She had always been one for the truth, and this truth was killing.

"I'm here," Harry said softly. He wished he could close his eyes and fly away from the pain, but every time his eyes took the light away from the world, the scream of Mrs. Granger began to echo in his ears. It hut him just to here that amount of pain, that amount of suffer. But Harry knew more than Hermione possible did. She was too distraught to see that pain and fear in her eyes. Harry did, and Harry knew why. The way her dress was torn, the way she limped out of the house. He knew, and he wanted to know why.

"The Damned, the Demons, Celestials:

The first watch,

The third destroy,

And the second has all the fun."

Harry looked up and saw ghost sitting upon the altar. He was white; everything he wore was white, his skin was deathly pale, his eyes held nothing, and his hair was snow. "Eonos," Harry said, though he held anger in his voice for some reason. The ghost smirked. His legs were crossed in only a way a woman could.

"That's right," the ghost's voice was high above the clouds. "I guess you're wondering why I'm here."

"Actually I'm wondering how you made it past the wards, ya fucking eunuch," Roland appeared from the confessional, smoking a cigar. "Nasty habit these are." He took a long drag, before blowing out a smoke dragon.

"my friends," Eonos replied, "this isn't how you treat a bearer of news."

Roland walked over to him. He took his time, and made no sudden movements. "No, your right." And grabbed his neck. "This is." Roland threw Eonos backwards, causing the ghost to break some of the pots behind the altar. Harry watched as Gaborn was barely able to hold Roland back. "You fucking traitor, I'll kill you. You're the reason why they dead. You're the reason why I just killed three men." Roland's voice shook the church, and dust fell down from the ceiling.

Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing and didn't know what was worse: the fact that the ghost standing before him was the reason behind the Grangers deaths or that Roland had just killed three people. He could move; the anger just held him in place.

"what I was going to say, dear brother," Eonos continued as he stood up, "was that the reason behind the attack was the shield was down. I didn't let them in." The ghost laughed as Roland collapsed to the floor, clearly troubled by that thought. Turning around, the ghost faded away as he walking into the wall.

"Roland," the priest asked, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder. The man didn't move; he just stared with his blood eyes forward where Eonos once stood. He was mumbling something over and over again. "Roland, what did he mean by that: the shield was down?"

It was then, everything clicked. The book, the book that Ron had gotten and showed it to him. Harry didn't know at the time, but he did now. It was from his trunk. A trunk that was magically sealed. Roland had bound every person but Ron. He had taken his and Hermione's wand away but not Ron's. "It was Ron," Harry said softly.

Roland twisted around and looked at the Boy-Who-Lived. "What are you talking about?"

"That shield, it was sensitive against magic wasn't it?" Harry asked. Roland just nodded. "It's safe to assume correctly that a single spell could have destroyed it. That's way you bound me and Hermione." Again Roland nodded. "Forget someone." Roland looked confused. "You didn't bind Ron." The man's jar dropped at his mistake, his foolish mistake. Harry hated having to blame it upon Ron, but nothing else made sense. He had run through ever scenario through is mind and nothing else made sense.

Hermione sat up in his lap, alternating looks between her cousin and her boyfriend. The tears and the anger was destroying her on the inside, looking for a source. She nearly fell getting off of Harry's lap, and ran toward the door where Ron exited. Harry tried to stop her but it was too late. She was already through the door. harry moved, trying to go after her, but then the wall exploded, throwing him across the room.


-->