Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and Devil's Lessons by The Dark Aeon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and Devil's Lessons

The Dark Aeon

Chapter 5: Ups and Downs:

By; the Dark Aeon

Author's Note: I must apologize for not up dating in so long. My computer crashed a lot and we just got the internet hooked back up. So here you go. Please Read and Review.

Hermione woke up late the next day, exhausted from the mental drilling that Roland did. Some bird was pecking at her window, and that was the only thing that woke her up. Hoping that it was Harry finally replying to her letters, Hermione was disappointed when she saw that it was Pig, Ron's owl. She quickly got out of her bed and opened the window, only to dodge the flying feather-ball that came into the room. Pig flew around the room for a few times, before she finally caught the small animal. She poured Pig some water before sitting down on her bed to read the letter.

Hermione,

I can't stop thinking about you. Your hair is so beautiful and your eyes… I could get lost in them. Your mere presence sends my heart into such a flutter that I can't move without a thought of you and your beauty. I see you and your smile and my minds crashes, and I can't think straight. Your sweet soft kisses simply drive me wild. There isn't a single thing that I don't love about you. Especially that thing you did… it just sends shivers down my spine thinking about it.

I am writing to invite you over to the Burrow until the end of the summer. I miss you so much. Please say yes.

Love with all my heart and soul,

Ron.

Hermione couldn't help but smile at Ron's sweet words. She had never heard anything from anyone before. The tears were just flowing down her face. Hermione really hoped to go, but that would probably mean she would miss Harry's birthday, and the rest of the time that her cousin was going to be here. She wiped the tears off her face, and grabbed her robe before running down the stairs with the letter. Hermione heard her parents talking with Roland about something.

"Look, I'll sign all right," Roland said. Hermione paused at the bottom of the stairs, trying to catch their conversation. "But I will do everything in my power to prevent that from happening, no matter what you may think." She turned the corner and looked at her cousin leaning over signing the paper.

"That's all we can ask for," her mom replied. "We just want to know that everything would be taken care of."

"What's taken care of?" Hermione said, stepping into their business. Her curiosity got the better of her. Roland was dressed already, as were both of her parents. She was wondering what time it was, but didn't get a chance to ask.

Without missing a beat, Roland said, "Stock portfolio, Herms." She placed her hips at his little nickname for her. "They just wanted to make sure that everything was in order. I was just signing some final paperwork for them, as I helped arrange them for your parents. That's all." Roland was quick in picking up the documents before Hermione even got a chance to read them. "Here you go." He handed them to her mother, who took it with care.

"Thank you, Roland," her mom said, and sent him a sympathetic look.

"I will stop it alright," he replied, before nearly jumping over to the stairs. Roland paused next to Hermione, as she quickly tried to hide the letter that Ron sent. "Oh, what is this?" he grabbed the letter and began to read it.

"Give it back Roland," Hermione tried to grab it, but her cousin held it up in the air.

"A love letter, I see." He held it up at the light. "`I can't stop thinking about you. Your hair is so beautiful and your eyes… I could get lost in them." His voice was high and sing-song like. "Your mere presence sends my heart into such a flutter that I can't move without a thought of you and your beauty.'" Roland paused, and dropped his jaw. "`Especially that thing you did… it just sends shivers down my spine thinking about it.' And what is this thing that you did?" Hermione glared at her cousin, remembering why she hated him at times. He could be such a prat when he wanted. All the color went from her face when Roland said those words. Hermione knew that her parents would over react.

"Hermione Anne Granger," her mom said. "We need to have a talk now."

"It wasn't anything," Hermione replied, her face turning bright red. "I just gave him a back rub." Now her father was glaring at her, too. "Really, we didn't do anything more then kiss once or twice, and I gave him a back rub." Her mom looked over at Roland who just nodded. Why weren't they trusting her? She was the top student at her school and had lived at a border school with boys for five years now. Hermione could handle things on her own.

"I would like to meet this boy," her dad said.


"But why, I told you already, he's sweet, lovely, kindly-" Hermione started to say.

"And that's your word on it, Herms," Roland said, and she glared at him. He stuck out his tongue at her. Roland can be such a prat at times, Hermione thought. He was already looking at the letter again. "Says here that he wants her to stay at the Burrow, whatever that is, for the rest of the summer."

"I don't like the sound of that," her mom said, "Besides your cousin is only staying here for another week or so."

"But mum," Hermione pleaded, "I really want to go. I'm sure Roland won't mind." She glared at him, and he just shrugged. "He can find ways to keep himself occupied."

"I would like to meet this Ron fellow," Roland said, still looking at the letter. He rubbed his hand over the reading, but stopped when Hermione was staring him down.

"As would I," her dad continued. He paused for a moment, thinking. "Since we have never actually met either of your friends, how about you invite them to stay for a week, both of them." Hermione could have jumped with joy. Both her boyfriend and Harry could come to her house and actually spend a week with her family.

"Can we have Harry's birthday party here too?" Hermione really wanted to throw Harry a really nice party, one that he would never forget. "He's never had one before."

Her father raised an eyebrow at that but nodded his head. "This is, of course, with Roland's permission." Hermione looked with puppy-dog eyes at her cousin, nearly getting down on her knees.

"I have no problem with." Roland handed the letter back to Hermione "They can have the guest in room. I'll be fine on the couch down here."

"Thank you, Mum, Dad," She gave them each big hugs. Hermione stared at Roland before sticking her tongue out at him and running up stairs to reply to Ron, then send a letter to Harry. She could hear her cousin laughing as she left.

"What's wrong?" Mary asked, looking at her nephew. Roland was leaning against the wall, puzzled by something. Her husband had left to get some groceries that they would need for the week.

"That letter wasn't written by whom she thinks," he said, and waved a hand in front of him. A duplicate of the letter appeared in his other hand. "There was magic used on it, almost to hide who actually wrote it."

"You don't trust her boyfriend," she asked. He shook his head. "I thought it was just a mother's instinct."

"For you it probably it," Roland replied, "For me…" he shrugged. "I'm just paranoid. That's all." He stood up straight. "It comes with the territory." The letter disappeared as he released it. He paused again, and looked at his aunt. "Are you sure about your decision with me becoming Hermione's guardian if…" Roland trailed off, as if he didn't want to finish the sentence.

"Yes," Mary said, "you can protect and will, and you can teach her if need be. Besides you're family." She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You are a good kid, a bit mixed up, but a good kid."

"I'm twenty," he said, "I doubt that I count as a kid."

"Aw," Mary said, squeezing his cheek, "isn't the kid cute?"

"Keep this up and I'll be gone for the day," Roland threatened. He backed off. "And Hermione will probably want me to explain what her element is and why she was chosen that way." He shrugged his shoulders and took off upstairs, taking them two at a time. Mary shook her head. She only hoped that she was making the right decision with her daughter.

* * * * * *

Hermione quickly wrote a short note to Ron, explaining to him that her parents were inviting him and Harry over for next week or so. Her letter to Harry was much longer, explaining to him that she was sorry that Ron didn't tell him about them going out, and she talked about her cousin and something of the things that had happened since he had arrived. Hermione left out the little part about the man who threatened her; knowing Harry as well as she did, he would only get upset. No, it was better for him not to know about her cousin. The radio was blaring as she wrote. "Another brutal attack by the Brotherhood of Mutants in America. Luckily no humans were hurt in his attack, but reports indicate that on of the mutants who were the cause of the attack was hurt, but no word whether or not it is dead."

"It better be," Hermione said as she searched her room for string to tie up the letters. The news continued.

"We are informed that the so called group of super heroes, the X-men, were also at this attack. Authorities are unsure whether or not these mutants were helping in the destruction or stopping it." Hermione turned off the radio; she didn't want to hear anymore about the mutants. It was a depressing matter; the mutants attacking perfectly normal people who didn't do anything wrong. When she turned to get Pig on the perch that she had bought for both Harry's and Ron's owl, Hermione saw Roland shaking his head.

"I hope everyone is alright," Roland said.

"Me too," Hermione added, and walked over to Pig.

"I wonder how Logan handled the situation," Roland said before turning around.

"Logan who?" she asked

"He's with the X-men," Roland replied, "They've had trouble ever since they lost one of their members."

"How do you know this?" She seemed shocked that Roland would associate with these freaks.

"It was on the news in America for a while." Roland shrugged. "I would shoot pool with Logan during the summer. Why are you so curious? Why does it matter?"

Hermione's face turned red from anger. "I'm surprised that you would be friends with those… those…"

"I believe people is the word you are looking for," Roland's anger was beginning to show, but Hermione doubted he had anything on her.

"The word I was looking for was monsters." She was glaring at her cousin, appalled at his behavior. How could he do that? Those creatures deserved to be monitored and locked away fro the rest of their lives. "They don't deserve the lives that we give them."

"The lives we give them?" Roland repeated in disgust. "Do you have how simple it is for you to be mistaken as a mutant?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, backing off.

"Why should I tell such a close minded person any thing?" Roland replied. "You should figure it out if you're so smart." He stormed away. Just before he left, Hermione swore that she could have felt his anger and seen it. Roland almost glowed a blood red color, but she thought that she was mistaken. Yes, she was certainly was. It would take a huge amount of power for it to be visible like that and Roland wasn't that powerful. Dumbledore wasn't even that powerful.

Hermione shrugged, she didn't really care what Roland said. She would figure it out in time, but that wasn't important right now. Her cousin was just being stubborn and pig-headed; refusing to see that truth, that's all. No, now was the time to send off Harry and Ron's letters. She walked over to Pig, but the little owl flew up, ready to play a game. "Not now, Pig," Hermione said, but the owl didn't listen. Instead it flew around the room, dodging Hermione's attempts to catch him. She heard the shower start and sighed. Hermione was hoping to get in before Roland, he took longer showers then she did. That would mean there would be no hot water for her. She almost growled in frustration. He was just doing that to get her angry. Well, he won't get the best of me. She was determined to be the bigger person and not let Roland's childish acts get to her.

Hermione finally caught Pig and tied the letters on to its legs. "Take this one to Harry first, all right." Pig nodded yes and then flew out of the window. Hopefully that dumb bird will listen to me. Hermione looked over at her desk and saw the paper that Roland was writing on the day before. She didn't recognize any of the symbols, but saw, in plain English, the Air written in the center. Makes sense, she thought. She was after extremely smart and knew a lot-that alone gave her enough warrant to be an Air element. Then why did Roland need to go through the entire test, especially the last question?

She shivered at that thought. Hermione still had no idea as to why she chose Harry over Ron and she doubted she ever would. Harry was a strong wizard, but Ron could be, too. What made it so bad was the fact that she had to make the choice, where their lives were almost in the palm of her hands. Roland seemed pretty distraught by his answer, but his comment afterwards worried her. "I don't deserve to live." That reminded her of Harry, almost, but with Roland it seemed that he truly thought that he was unworthy of life. Harry at least knew that he was needed, but Roland didn't even have a point to live anymore in his opinion. That is what depression is, Hermione thought, the total lack of self worth and the wanting to kill one's self. She knew that Harry was depressed to a degree, but from her cousin's manner, maybe he was, too. Maybe he was more forgone then Harry. At times, he was so down and disheartened that it affected her, but others, he was the happiest person in the world. I wonder if he is bipolar too.

Hermione decided that she needed to talk with her mother; she might be able to help. Mrs. Granger seemed to talk with him just about every day, so she had to know something. The shower was still going, so Hermione thought that it was best if she went down and talked to her then. She tightened her robe around her waist and walked out of her room and down the stairs. Her mother was sitting at the table, looking at their old photo albums. "Roland gave me all of her mother's old pictures, including the ones of the family reunion," her mother said. Hermione watched as a tear rolled down she cheeks. "So much has happened." She looked up at her daughter. "Come sit down, I want to tell you something." Hermione went over to her mother.

"Remember nine years ago when we first got news of your aunt's death?" Hermione nodded and tried to hold back the tears. It was hard for her think about her. Aunt Jane was one of her favorites, even thought Hermione barely know her. She had treated her so nicely the few days that Hermione saw her. Aunt Jane reminded her of Roland at times. "Well, obviously, Roland survived, but not without some injuries."

"Like what, Mum?" Hermione asked.

"He died at the hospital when they finished operating on him." Her mother paused. Hermione was shocked; she never even heard this story before. She just waited for her mother to continue. "Roland laid on the table, legally dead for ten minutes before he came back." Hermione gasped. "With that much time, the brain takes serious damage. He has a long list of mental problems, including bipolar and depression. But I think you figured this all out." Hermione nodded yes again. She was shocked at that. It explained why at times he acted like a child. "There's more, but I'm not sure if I can talk about it." The tears came back. "I just miss my sister so much." Hermione sat there and watched as her mother cried, doubting that she could do anything to help. She wanted to, but had no idea of what to do.

Hermione didn't even hear Roland come downstairs. "And she misses you, too, Aunt Mary," Roland said. Hermione jumped when he spoke. "But you must remember, that times moves on, people move on. You can't hid in the past or the future will fail miserable. Mom would want you to be happy like you were, not sad and down." He paused and took a death. "You mustn't think of death as an end, but rather a beginning. Mom went to a better place, a place where she is with Dad and she is happy and loved."

"Sounds cliché," Hermione said sarcastically.

"So what if it is?" Roland replied. He was calm again. "Isn't that what you want when you die, to be happy? Heaven is comfort and helps you find peace before you move on." Hermione was about to ask what he meant by that, but held back. It was probably in those books of his that he gave her. "Life is precious and so is death, Hermione. You can't view on being sad, for they are a beautiful thing. The manner which a person dies in can be sad, but the passing is wonderful. That is why most wizards and witches call a funeral a Celebration, for you are there to celebrate the life and happiness of their lives."

"I never knew that," Hermione said, disappointed that she didn't know something.

"When you deal with death often, Herms, you learn all that you can about the ceremonies." He was back to his old self. "But on the other hand, you must also know of life." He motioned for her to go upstairs. "Take your shower, Herms, so we can discuss your element and possibly training." She jumped up from the table in excitement.

Before Hermione left, she gave her mother a hug, and whispered an "I love you." She rushed up stairs to her room, grabbing her cloths and then to the bathroom. Hermione was really looking forward to this day. Things were finally looking up.

* * * * * *

Things couldn't be looking any worse for Harry. With the recent attack on humans by mutants, Uncle Vernon was on the war path. Harry made it a point to stay out of his way during the day and locked himself in his room. He had been working on the transfiguration essay for the past hours, just writing whatever he could think of before Pig came to his window. He hoped that it was a letter from Ron, finally asking him to come for the summer. It had become tradition, sort of, for Harry to live the burrow around his birthday to go to the Burrow. But this year, Ron wasn't talking with him despite the number of letters Harry had sent.

The letter had come from Hermione. Harry recognized the handwriting the moment he saw it, so elegant and pretty. He had missed her so much that he nearly tore apart the letter trying to open it.

Dear Harry,

I first off want to thank you for calling me that one day, and would like to let you know that you can call me whenever you want; whether about something important or nothing at all. I miss hearing your voice. You really kept me going last year, it was so hard but with your encouragement I know I did well.

Secondly, I want to tell you that I am fine and fully healed. So no more worrying about me, okay. You just take care of yourself. (Harry laughed, that was so like Hermione, always caring about him.) But your concern did touch me and thank you very much, Harry. It meant a lot to me just to know that you care. I don't how much I can thank you, but I do know that I will continue to. You've been so kind to me, and stayed my friend even when I was the one spoiling your fun. Well again, thank you Harry for being my friend. Thank you for being you.

Now for the real reason about me writing; I want to invite you over to my house for about a week. I know that it is close to your birthday, but that is something I want to do to, throw you a birthday party. It would only be you, me, Ron, Roland and my parents, but that is enough people. I think that it would be a wonderful experience for you, Harry. I know how horrible the Dursleys have and probably are treating you, and I really want this. Please say yes. I want to see you again. I miss you.

Love always,

Hermione Granger

The shock wore off Harry as he reread the letter. Hermione had missed him, actually missed him. He didn't think that she would care, what with her and Ron. They seemed so perfect for each other, Harry thought. Why would they want to spend time with a person like me? He wasn't much, just someone who was going to be used to destroy the dark lord, and then kicked aside like a mutt on the street. But Ron, Ron would have a life after Hogwarts, Hermione had future with him. Harry was just to die anyways while he killed Voldemort. That was what he decided, as not to be a burden to anyone after the final battle. It was just easier that way.

This was part of the reason why Harry planned to distance himself away from his friends this year and his last at Hogwarts. It would be easier to deal with loss when they weren't too close to him. Harry didn't want to see any of his friends hurt anymore, especially when it was his fault. Loss is always easier to handle without them being close. The closer a person was, the harder the loss. Sirius and Cedric were a prime example; Cedric was a friend but Harry didn't know him that well. Sirius was like the father that Harry never had, and he loved him. Sirius's death was hard for Harry and still was. It was something that would take time and he wasn't sure if he could handle it.

If Ron or Hermione, especially Hermione, were killed because of him, Harry wasn't sure of his actions. When he saw his friends fall that night at the Ministry, he anger soared as high as an eagle flies. If Hermione died… a tear fell down his cheek. He didn't want to think about that, it was too hard on him. That was the reason why he had to leave, to keep her safe. His friends would understand. Their safety takes precedent over his life. His life meant nothing to the world. All he was had done meant nothing to them. He was just a superstar who they could blame anything that went wrong on. The moment he was gone it will all be better.

That brought Harry back to the letter. As much as he didn't want to be around them anymore, he did. He wanted to see her smile, hear her laugh, and be just in her presence. Hermione did always lighten his heavy load with but a smile and she could clear his darkest day with but a word. She was a great friend. Harry sighed again. When would I ever find love? He doubted that he ever would, and he would have to live with that. But at least he could see her one last time before pushing himself away. Harry looked up to notice that Pig was already gone. He had seen another letter on him, and figured that it was for Ron. He sighed again. Well, I better send back a reply. Harry just wished he knew what he was going to say

"Just say yes," a man's voice echoed the room. Immediately Harry had his wand up. "Oh, for the gods' sake, put that down, boy." A bright flash of white light appeared. Harry was standing on his bed, wand pointed at the white light. "I have no reason to hurt you."

"Who are you?" Harry asked, he didn't lower the wand. The man wore a long white robe, flowing onto the flow. Harry could have sworn the man was albino, for he had almost red eyes and pale white hair.

"You can call me Eonos," the man said, "and I've been sent here by your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." He removed a bag from his book. "He wanted me to give you this." Tossing it onto the bed didn't get Harry to move. He was too cautious for that. Instead he just stood there, watching the man. "Really, that won't have any affect on me, especially here." He paused and smirked, showing his teeth. Harry backed up a bit the best he could. Eonos had sharpened teeth, almost like for tearing meat off of a bone. "Especially without her."

"Who are you talking about?" Harry asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. He lowered his wand and stared at the man.

"Read the books in the bag," Eonos said as he turned around. "You just might get a glance of what I mean." In the same flash that he arrived in, Eonos was gone. Harry had no idea why he was here, or even how he found him, but he knew that there was something strange about this Eonos character. Harry just knew it. He felt it within his body. It was as if the man was pure evil or something. Harry shrugged and stepped down off his bed. There was nothing he could do, but he was careful as he walked over to the bag.

As much as his curiosity told him to open it, Harry refused. He had other business to do, which was to write a reply to Hermione's letter. He pulled out a sheet from his trunk and sat down at his desk, and quickly scribbled a reply; one without any thoughts on how he felt or any response to anything in her letter, but a reply nonetheless. Harry hoped that Hermione would accept his letter without any questions. He just knew that when he goes over, she would interrogate him. And that was the last thing that Harry wanted. But what else could he do, Hermione wanted him to come, other wise she won't have sent the letter.

Harry looked at the letter on finally time before signally for Hedwig to come over to him. He just wanted to be alone at the moment and try not to think about the word "love." He sent his owl out to Hermione and sat down on his bed. A small tear rolled down his face as his owl flew out of the window. Will I ever find love?

-->