Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and Devil's Lessons by The Dark Aeon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and Devil's Lessons

The Dark Aeon

Chapter 8: Peace for a moment…

By: The Dark Aeon, Chronos the Fallen

Author's Notes: Here it is another chapter. I didn't feel like waiting and where I was going to pause this chapter seemed wrong, so enjoy.

davaca: almost positive that they will be. For reference, Roland is a Hunter, and no, Harry and Hermione will not become them.

godsowndevil: no

Ryusuken: Just wait, it will get more confusing. The only two known elements that work almost harmoniously are Earth and Air.

So continue to ask questions, I will address them, and please R&R

* * * * * *

Ron was supposed to arrive pretty soon, right at eight o'clock sharp. Harry was eating at the time, while Hermione was still sleeping. She must have forgotten that Ron was coming at eight. Mr. and Mrs. Granger were sitting at the table, talking amongst themselves, and would occasional ask Harry something. After the third nod of his head, they stopped talking altogether.

There was too much on Harry's mind at the moment. He had an odd dream the night before. But it wasn't like his other dreams. This one had nothing to do with Voldemort or any true evil, as far as Harry understood. Rather, it was pain. A black man with wings was laying a table screaming in pain and had a sword through his stomach. But in truth, it wasn't the man's pain that disturbed him; it was the crying brunette in the back ground being held by a red-haired man. The pain in the girl's eye caused Harry's heart to ache tremendously. He didn't remember the rest of the dream, only those few points.

"Harry," Mrs. Granger asked again. "Are you alright?" Harry just nodded and moved his oatmeal around on his plate. Truth be told, he wasn't. As much as Harry didn't want to care, he did. He cared that Ron and Hermione were going out. And he felt left out… Again. It was as if Fate just loved playing cruel tricks on him. But why was this one a trick? That was the single question that kept on echoing through Harry's mind. Why did he care so much that it made him even further depressed?

"Harry?" Mr. Granger asked. People just didn't want to leave him alone, did they? It was alright that every one was worried about Harry, but some times, just being lone was what a person truly needed. And neither of the Grangers could figure it out, Harry just wanted to be alone and think. Whatever they thought of it, that was their decision, but now, Harry just wanted to alone.

He stood up and walked away, without much a word to Mr. and Mrs. Granger. Most of the things that Harry wanted to do involve the wizarding world, and hence under the ban that Roland had placed on the household. But there were a few things that Harry could still do, and reading was one of them. For the past three weeks, Harry had buried himself into books, and as dull as they were, they kept him from thinking about Hermione… and Ron. Though Ron was always an after thought lately. And with the problems of the mutants, Harry's life just continued to spin. Roland seemed to help; at times he would just listen. Maybe that was the thing he needed to most someone to listen. But truth be told, Harry didn't know what he needed or even wanted, besides being alone.


But reading was his escape and he finally knew what Hermione loved it so much. The world stopped around him as he read his books. And thanks to Roland, Harry didn't have to read just non-fiction. They stopped off at a book store in the mall, and Harry ended up with two or three bags of books. Roland had allowed him to keep the books along with another thing else they bought that day. Muggle items had no affect on the protection spell, thank Merlin.

Stopping at his room, Harry sat down heavily on his bed and pulled out a book from one of his bags. It was a fantasy one, and something caught Harry's eye. As similar as the world was to his own, it was different and guaranteed a happy ending. He had finished two of the series and was bored by some of the descriptions, but the characters were interesting. And it was different, hell, even the romance novels were different then Harry's life. The books being different from his own life was the most important thing that Harry found when he read. Nothing else really seemed to matter unless that was fulfilled.

Leaning back against the wall, Harry opened up the book and read, getting lost in the characters it created and the place it had spun into existence. He didn't even notice the ringing of neither the clock downstairs nor the absence of Ron's arrival. But he did notice that Carolyn was having problems with her best friend, Joey, and that villain of the story was even more twisted then he knew before. The fiction seemed more real then life. And with his life as horrible as it was, Harry didn't want to live in his world. He wanted to live in one of the worlds that he read about, where there is no dark lord looming over him or his death just around the corner. And in these stories the love that the hero received was pure.

"Harry?" Hermione said. He looked from his book to see Hermione in her robe, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "You're reading?"

"Yeah," he smiled. "So?"

"Nothing," she replied, and returned the smile. "I just never would have thought that you would like to read, that's all."

"I like to do things other then Quidditch, Ms. Granger." Hermione smirked at him, entering the room. "I just never choose to show them before." Neither one spoke for a while. Harry didn't even Hermione move closer to the bed.

"Wha'cha reading," she asked. Harry turned the cover of the book up so Hermione could see it. "Oh." She looked surprised when she saw what book it was. "I would have never thought you'd like those books." Her sarcastic smile caused Harry to glare at her.

"And what's wrong with them?" Harry asked. It was a cheesy romance book, and despite the poor plot, Harry did like the characters. The heroine remembered him of Hermione. And truth be told, Harry sort of saw himself as the hero of the story.

"They're so trashy," Hermione said, taking a seat on the bed. She carefully grabbed the book from Harry, not losing his place. "I just…"

"You just what, Hermione?" Harry smirked at her, and she blushed. Was it possible that Hermione liked them too? Logical Hermione? Harry didn't believe it. But from her reaction it seemed to be true, at least as far as Harry could tell.

"Nothing, Harry," she quickly got up. "I'll talk to you later."

"You can borrow any of my books," Harry said just before Hermione left. She paused and looked at him. She seemed surprised to hear him say something like that. "Any of them. And any time you want to, as long I'm not reading it at the moment." Harry preferred to finish a book first before starting a new one. That way he could get to know the characters better.

Hermione blushed slightly. So Harry was right, she did like to read the romance novels too. "Thanks," was her soft reply before rushing out of his room. Harry shook his head; he would never understand girls, let along a woman like Hermione.

And that caused every single thought in his head to stop. When did Hermione become such a beautiful woman? Harry knew that she didn't look like that last year. So when did it happen? In his eyes, she was always Hermione was this carefree girl who followed him around every where, and now all of the sudden, Hermione's this beautiful woman who always followed him around. What in the bloody hells happened? Harry looked back down at his book. But she's off limits, after all. Ron is her boyfriend and I am her other best friend. I can't act like she's some slab of meat. No, Hermione's more then that. She's much more.

The door bell rang, and broke Harry out of his thoughts. That must be Ron. He got up and stretched, not realizing how sore his body was.. Reading was tiring, despite how relaxing it truly was. He placed his book and walked slowly, not really care about how fast the got to the door.

Mr. Granger had already gotten the door and was ushering in professor Dumbledore and another old man. Ron appeared right behind them, dragging his trunk with him. "Hello there, Mr. Granger, " Dumbledore said.

"Why, Hello, Professor Dumbledore." Mr. Granger replied. "It's been a while, not since Hermione's second year. How are you doing?"

"Fine, thank you," Dumbledore smiled. "And how is Hermione, healing okay?" Harry paused. He didn't ask her about that. From what he had seen, she looked fine, but not all wounds were physical.

"Yes, her cousin gave her a once over when he came here," Mrs. Granger said. She came in drying a dish and had a smile on her face. "He talked with her recently about the emotional scars, and most of them are gone."

"Good, good," Dumbledore replied, "I would like to meet this Roland."

"Maybe later today, Albus," the other old man said, He was wearing a brown trench coat and hat to cover the rest of his head. "But right now, I want to meet this Harry Potter." When Harry heard his name, his eyes went up in surprise. From the way that the man said his name, it sounded as if he didn't know who Harry Potter is. And that was odd.

"I'm here," Harry said, stepping down from the stairs.

"So this is the Boy-Who-Lived?" the man looked up from the ground. Harry had never seen ice-blue eyes before. Truth was, it was mesmerizing. The old man gave him a quick look before turning to Dumbledore. "I will want one of my Hunters to talk with him."

"That's fine, Stephen," Dumbledore said. "As long as it is just talking. I don't want him to get the notion to be a hero and try to help."

"I can arrange that, one of my Hunters is already in town." Stephen turned back to Harry. "My name is Doctor Stephen Strange. I am one of the people who will be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers. A Mister Lupin and Miss Tonks will be working with me." Harry smirked. Dumbledore finally did something smart. With Remus and Tonks working at the school, that would mean the Order would have a better chance of watching over him. Harry didn't want that, but with at least them, he could probably persuade them to leave him alone some of the time. And that would mean someone to talk to now that Hermione and Ron were dating. "I'm sure that my Hunter has made the appropriate modifications to the protections?"

"Oh, relax, Stephen," Dumbledore said, turning to the man. "Everything had been taken care of. You said it yourself; he has done all that he could to protect this place." Dumbledore looked around and smiled when his eyes met Harry's. "Enjoy you're week Harry. Don't worry about the Dark Lord, or anything else. Just enjoy yourself." Dumbledore took one final look around before turning to the door; Ron was sitting on his trunk, staring at both of the old men. Both of them were talking about hunters and the danger of their prey. It was then that Harry remembered the note.

"Mrs. Granger?" Harry finally said, "Roland asked me to give this to you." Harry removed the crumbled letter from his pocket. "Sorry."

"It's alright, Harry dear," she said, taking the note. After looking at it for a moment, she hastily placed it in one of her pockets. "Thank you." She looked a bit upset, but Harry figured it was nothing.

"Well," Mr. Granger said, "you must be Ron Weasley?" he held out a hand for Ron to take. "Hermione's boyfriend?" Harry didn't like the sound of Ron being called Hermione's boyfriend, despite it being the truth. It just didn't sound correct.

"Of course, dear," Mrs. Granger replied. Ron shook Mr. Granger's hand with a smile. "Why else would he be here?" She smiled at Ron, and also shook his hand. "Harry will be staying with us for the week as well." Ron's expression changed from happiness to confused. "Dumbledore thought it best if he got out of the Dursley's a bit. A bit lonely." It was a bold face lie if Harry ever saw one, and Mrs. Granger told without even a hint of the truth. At least, Harry thought it was a lie.

"Oh, okay," Ron said. He turned to Harry, "Can you help me with my trunk?" Harry just nodded.

"I'll show you to our room," Harry replied, as he walked down the stairs to Ron's trunk. There was something different about Ron. Maybe it was just the way he stood and carried himself. But there was something odd about his friend and Harry didn't like. So many things have changed. Why did you have to leave Sirius? I could really use your help now.

They carried the trunk up in silence, neither one really wanting to speak. Harry felt awkward with Ron for some reason, yet couldn't place his finger on it. There was something different about him, something different about the way he carried himself. Or was it how he looked at Harry, with such violence and anger only to cover up again with false pretenses. This only got Harry to wonder what he did to upset Ron at the moment.

"So how's your summer been so far?" Harry asked once they got to the room.

"Wonderful mate, wonderful," Ron said, dropping his end of the trunk. Harry carefully let his end down as Ron continued to talk. "Herms came over once or twice and we had a great time, if you know what I mean."

"She really doesn't like it when people shorten her name," Harry said, smirking.

"Harry, Harry, Harry," Ron said, shaking his head with a smirk. "When are you going to realize that I'm not `some people.' I'm her boyfriend. That rules doesn't apply to me." Ron laughed, walking over to Harry's bed. "What are these trashy novels doing here, Harry, I can't believe you are reading such filth."

"What's matter to you?" Harry asked, grabbing the book from Ron's hands, making sure his place was still marked. "And is it filth because its romance, or because it's Muggle?" Harry asked accusingly of Ron. There was something wrong, definitely wrong with him. Yet he could not put his finger on it. Why the hell couldn't he put his finger on?

"Both actually," Ron replied. "I mean, c'mon Harry. Why spend your time reading when you could go do something fun?"

"Reading is fun, Ronald," Hermione said. By the tone of her voice, Harry could tell that she was upset at his last comment. "Some of us enjoy reading."

"Reading is just a waste of time," Ron replied, "especially when you have a boyfriend, right Harry?" Harry knew better then to get into the middle of a quarrel. Besides, he didn't want to side with Ron on this one anyways.

"No, reading is just as important, right Harry?" Both of them were looking at him, and now Harry was getting confused. Ron looked mad because Hermione asked him, and Harry thought…, no knew that Hermione was mad because Ron was trying to change who she is.

"I have to agree with Hermione," Harry finally said, and Ron glared at him. "It is important to be as normal as possible in a relationship, despite whatever may change."

"Right," Hermione added, "friendship and acceptance must come first. If can't accept who I am Ron…" she trailed off, but everyone knew what came next.

Ron sighed. "Fine then, reading is alright." His words were exaggerated and sarcastic. A smile came on his face. "Hermione, did I tell you today that you look pretty?" Harry looked at her and had to agree; she did look pretty, though he was thinking more along the lines of beautiful.

Hermione blushed brightly, and looked down at the ground. "Really," she said when she looked up. Harry sighed; he knew what Ron was doing. He was being nice to her and flattering her just to get his way.

"Of course, Herms," Ron replied. Harry waited for the explosion from Hermione, but it never came. Turning to Harry and smirking, Ron added. "Can we have some alone time?

Sighing, Harry relented. He quickly grabbed his book and walked out of the room. Ron gave Harry one final smirk before closing the door. Once down stairs, Harry sat down heavily on one of the chairs. He didn't know why he was so upset at their relationship, but he did know he was. And that was upsetting to Harry. He should be happy for his friends…despite the fact that their pairing is even more messed up then Harry and Cho. He should be glad that their happy… despite them fighting all the time.

As hard as he tried, Harry couldn't concentrate on his book. He was curious at what his friends were doing upstairs. But it was also that curiosity that held him back. He doubted it was something too heavy, but he didn't want to take a chance. So in his chair, he sat and tried to read. No noise was coming from up stairs, so that was a good thing. He was almost done with his book when Both Ron and Hermione came back down. Hermione's face was bright red, and Ron's held an arrogant smirk on it. His lips looked redder then usually. Hermione couldn't make eye contact with Harry.

"Everything alright?" Harry asked as they came down. Hermione looked at Ron, and then she just nodded. Ron hadn't removed his smirk yet. There was just this feeling of pseudo-normalcy from both his friends.

So much had changed in the few weeks that they had come back from Hogwarts. Ron seemed more confident, Hermione less, and Harry… well, he wasn't quite sure where he changed. But everything was changing, and this change didn't seem to be good.

"Yeah," Ron replied, wrapping an arm around Hermione. "Everything's great."

Pride giveth, Pride taketh away, echoed in Harry's mind. He looked around. It couldn't have been Voldemort, he didn't feel a thing. It was just there. Jealous destroys those it cares about the most. There it was again. Neither Ron nor Hermione noticed it, or they didn't care to respond. And Anger kills.

"Hermione?" Mrs. Granger's voice came from the kitchen, "You and your friends ready for breakfast?"

"Yes Mrs. Granger," Ron said, quickly leaving Hermione for food. He left her holding her arms, looking defeated. Harry noticed it. He was finally beginning to notice the littlest of things. It was something big for him, since he never noticed anything before. And that warrant suspicion. It was probably something he needed to talk with Roland about.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked after a moment of silence.

"What?" Hermione looked up, "oh me, fine, just fine." She was looking around the room, especially where the kitchen doorway was. Where Ron left through. Harry remembered that bit of information and stashed it away for a moment.

"Sure?" Harry repeated. Hermione nodded then gave the most timid smiles he had ever seen.

"Thank you Harry," she said. For a moment, neither moved, but Hermione gasped one moment then quickly dashed to the kitchen. Harry sat in his chair, thinking of what just happened. They came down, Hermione looked upset and Ron pratish. Hermione seemed meek… wait, when do I use the word meek? Harry's whole thought process by that simple word. He had only heard Hermione say it probably once, and let alone actually use it himself. And what does it bloody mean?

Harry didn't get up for a while, thinking of what had just crossed his mind. So much has been changing; Hermione seems so different then last year. And Ron certainly is. Me…, I don't know how much I've changed, but… "Harry?" Mrs. Granger asked. "Are you coming to breakfast?" She stood in the door way. Harry didn't even realize that he was still sitting there.

"Yeah," he yelled back. He placed his book down on the table and rushed over to the kitchen. Yes much had changed, but hopeful some things won't.

* * * * * *

Breakfast had past and with it all the air of oddness. Everything seemed normal. The Grangers had left for some shopping, leaving the kids alone in the house. Ron challenged Harry to a chess match, which turned hours of fun. After the first few matches, Ron was having harder and harder time winning. Harry finally saw the strategy within Ron's plays and soon began to counter them. After the first hour, Harry stalemated Ron, which stunned both of them. Neither had ever thought that it was possible. For the next hour, they played a single match, Ron taking his time with his moves.

"And checkmate," Harry said, a smile growing on his face. For the last ten minutes, he had Ron on the run, moving him all over the board. And finally the end had come, and to Harry it was beautiful. To finally win against the Great Ronald Weasley in chess. Chess was one of the few things that Ron was better at then Harry, and it was nice to know that he was at least on equal footing.

But Ron's reaction was something new. He was mad that Harry won. And that just confused Harry even more. "You cheated," were the first words out of his mouth.

"what?" Harry replied.

"That's the only way you could have won," Ron said. "You can't have beaten me. That stalemate was a fluke."

"If you think that this was a fluke, Ron," Harry said, trying to keep his temper under control, "we'll play again."

"Fine then." Ron quickly set up the chess board. It took ten minutes, with Harry taking the longest, and he won again. Ron threw the board up in the air. "You cheated again." Hermione looked up from her book to see the mess.

"Ron," Harry laughed slightly, "how could I have cheated?"

"I don't know," Ron stood up from the coffee table. He gave one final glare at Harry before turning away. Clearly, he was thinking. He paused once, and a smirk grew on his face. "You're a mutant." Hermione gasped at the statement while Harry just glared. Why would Ron say something like that in such a horrible tone? His mother and Sirius were mutants and they were damn fine people.

"Proof," was all Harry said.

"You read my mind."

"Proof," he repeated. In truth, Harry didn't really know what he did. He just saw and noticed and reacted. It was the little things again. Like how Ron always moved his pawns or rooks. Or how he always rubbed his chin when planning something. It was the little things that showed Harry how to win. And he never forgot. That happened to be the biggest change in him. He remembered what Ron's first move was down to the very last. It was the oddest feeling in the world. But that was certainly no proof for mutant powers, though it wasn't going to stop Harry from asking Roland.

"I felt something," Ron stuttered.

"Harry is it true?" Hermione asked, a bit apprehensive. She looked so scared that he might actually be one that it almost worried him. He shook his head. Ron glared at the Boy-Who-Lived.

"Any changes that big I would tell you guys," He replied and that was the truth. Harry had no trouble in accepting it now that he knew about wizards. "Besides, Remus said most wizards are mutants, they just don't realize it." He shrugged and stood up. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go read one of my other books." Harry walked up the stairs without a look back, but the face that Hermione made stuck with him. A look of concern and disappointment.

Harry stopped shortly at the guest room and grabbed one of his books. He didn't notice the title and didn't care. All he wanted was to get out of his world and into anything. So much for being normal. He sighed as he walked down the stairs and outside. He didn't even notice Ron and Hermione missing. Probably some where snogging. A small pang of sadness and loss hit him but he didn't know why. He continued outside and sat down on the edge of the deck.

For awhile, Harry read peacefully. Much of his time was spent like that, reading. For the next few hours, Harry didn't move much other then to turn the page. He was comfortable at least for the moment. And nothing could move him. Exact Hermione' face when she asked that question. In truth, it confused Harry for he didn't really know how one became a mutant.

"How do you become a mutant?" Harry asked no one in particular.

"Tragedy." Roland walked out from the shadows that formed over on the fence. "It takes great tragedy for mutant powers to form." He looked tired and was hold his stomach. "It could be something as little as a simple thing, but a crush to a sixteen year-old is a powerful thing. Or it could be stakes being driven through your hands and being given forty lashes." Roland shrugged. "It really matters on the person. Only they will truly know why that time was chosen and why it happened to them." He took a seat next to Harry, grunting as he moved.

"You okay?" Harry asked.

"No, but I will be." Roland sighed when he was finally down. "I'm just tired, that's all." Smiling, he looked forward. "For a while, I've always dreamed that my work would finally be over and I could rest. Just sleep for a while." Chuckling, he shook his head. "I've seen so much death and little has brought comfort to this world, but I have made progress. Yes I have." Looking down, he repeated. "Yes I have."

Harry couldn't help look shocked at this man. Roland looked so strong and healthy and here he was, tired and weak. He seemed to lose so much of that strength. With the sun setting, the last rays seemed to fall upon him. The light seemed to take all the strength that he had. "Now, enough of my complaining. How was your day?" With that, Harry told Roland everything, including his questions. Roland just nodded at everything, taking it in. "I have a theory, but give me a few days to work it through." Smiling and grunting, Roland got up slowly. "Come inside, I have some things we need to discuss." Harry watched as the man limped into the house.

For a while, Harry sat outside. He stared at the setting sun. It was beautiful, as was the field across from the Granger's house. Yet something was missing, deep within his soul, he knew, something was missing. "Harry?" Mr. Granger asked. Harry heard his footsteps, but continued to think could it be Sirius? A tear came to his eye at the thought of his godfather. He never really grieved, but just accepted the fact that his godfather was gone. Now was not the time. Harry wiped away the tear, and continued to stare forward. "Harry?" Mr. Granger repeated. Maybe he was upset over all the changes that have been happening. Where did everything change?

The sun continued to set, casting one final ray on Harry and Mr. Granger. That night at the ministry, that was when all of it changed. Everything had changed. Hermione seemed less assertive, Ron more aggressive. And me? How did I change? Life was so different now; people were growing up and moving on, leaving Harry behind again to do their dirty work. With the prophecy, that seemed to be the meaning of his life. "Probably better just to end it for both of us," Harry said softly.

"What was that Harry?" Mr. Granger asked.

"What?" Harry knew that he was there, but chose to ignore it in his thoughts. "Oh, nothing. You wanted to talk to me?" he asked standing up.

"Yeah," Mr. Granger replied. "Roland wants to talk to you, Hermione and Ron." He spoke Ron with some contempt in his voice. Harry was noticing things he never even thought he'd notice before. Everything seemed to be coming clearer and more obvious. He was finally seeing the little things and those seemed to speak the world.

"Sure, I'll be in there in a few minutes," Harry said, turning back to the sun set and the glowing earth. It was perfect, and yet something was still missing. Sighing, Harry wished he could find that missing piece to solve the puzzle. He walked back inside, checking his place in his book. Harry paused when he reached the kitchen, and saw Hermione and Ron sitting at the table. Mr. and Mrs. Granger were standing on one side. Roland was pacing; he looked tired and sick and with his limp the pacing looked awkward.

Harry took a seat next Hermione, who smiled at him. Ron glared at both of them, and Hermione looked down at her lap. Harry just frown and turned his attention to Roland. "Alright, with the permission of Aunt Mary and Uncle Joe, I've been allowed to set down ground rules. These are rules which you are all to follow or else." A knife appeared from nowhere and was being twirled in Roland's hand. "Number 1: You three will stay in on the grounds at all times. Aunt Mary and Uncle Joe have something that protects them as long as you three are safe with the protections on this house hold." He glared at Ron, who just shrugged.

"Rule 2: no magic. Period." Roland shot a glance at Ron. "Rule 3: no PDA's while I'm in the room. If my girlfriend isn't here, I don't want to see any of it. Rule Four-" But Ron had to get a comment in. the knife had disappeared

"You have a girlfriend?" Ron asked sarcastically.

"Is that really so hard to believe?" Roland replied.

"Yeah, considered you look like a total geek." Only he laughed at his comment. Roland took off his sunglasses and cleaned them on his coat. "I mean, she must be a total-" Ron didn't finish his sentence. Roland had crossed the room and was holding him up by the neck. Ron's chair was thrown back and Roland was standing where Ron was sitting. Ron's feet were dangling in the air.

"Finish that sentence, I dare you," he said, snarling and bearing his sharp teeth. "Finish it!" His voice resonated through the minds of everyone there. No one dared to move. Harry was the only one who probably noticed the small bumps on Roland's head, or his skin darkening. There was something odd about him. Very odd. A taint filled the room, but no one seemed to notice it. "My friends at school always told me that I wore many masks. Care to see what's under this one?" Roland chuckled as Ron's face turned white. With his free hand, Roland reached underneath his chin and began to pull something off. The tearing of skin echoed the quiet kitchen only to be broken by the phone ringing.

Roland turned to it, and quickly dropped Ron. Harry watched as Roland jumped over the table to the phone. "Hello, this is the Granger's residence. Roland Demoas speaking. How may I help you?" he said, with no care. "Heather?" Harry watched as a smile grew on his face. "It's been too long. I've…" Roland walked into the other room with the portable phone. No one moved, not even Ron. They just stared at where Roland left.

Mr. Granger cleared his thought. "Rule four: treat others the way you wish to be treated. I will have all of you acting like adults in this house, especially around Roland."

"Rule Five: Try to enjoy yourselves and don't let Roland get to you. He just has his moments. That's all." Mrs. Granger smiled. "Just be patient with him. He's been through some tough times and is still going through them."

"How could you allow that psycho into this household," Ron asked, struggling to get up.

"For your information," Hermione quickly said, "Roland is my cousin, and I happen to be proud of the way he stood up for his girlfriend. How would you like it if someone made fun of me?" When Ron didn't say anything, Hermione stormed out of the room. Harry sat there, staring. He wasn't quite sure of what he was supposed to say. Ron was in the wrong, but so was Roland. Things just continued to get more and more confusing.

"Well," Mrs. Granger said, "would you two boys like some dessert? I'm sure we have some ice cream in the freezer." She left to down to the basement to get it. Ron quickly nodded and rushed to help. Food the ever most important thing in his life.

And that left Harry and Mr. Granger. Hermione's father sighed. "As much as Hermione likes him, I don't trust him," he said. Harry didn't know who Mr. Granger was talking about. "I mean, he treats her so badly sometimes, telling her what to do and everything." He sighed again, and Harry noticed how old Mr. Granger was. He didn't seem like an old man, but in this moment, in this light, the years came back and covered Mr. Granger like a blanket, giving him some shelter and security. Now Harry knew why there were no other Granger children.

"I-I" Harry wanted to say that he didn't know what Mr. Granger was talking about, but that wasn't the truth. He couldn't lie to the man who had offered to take him in. "I've seen it too. But, she says she's happy and I want do anything to stop that."

Mr. Granger smiled at Harry. "You're a good friend, Harry," he said, "and a good man, never let anyone tell you otherwise." It was an old smile and the pale blue eyes seemed almost grey from age. Harry had seen that Mr. Granger had worn glasses when he was reading the papers, again little details. Hermione's father had yet to remove them since he came home.

"Thank you, sir," Harry said.

"Call me Joe," Mr. Granger replied, "and please feel free to talk to me, Mary or Roland about anything. Especially Roland. I believe that you two will find that you have a lot in common." Mr. Granger stood up and the old age disappeared when the lights were turned on.

Harry sat in the kitchen for a while, thinking about nothing really. It wasn't really important, just random thoughts going through his head at the time. So much was happening that he couldn't get it all straight yet. He needed some time to think about all that had just happened and let his mind reorganize itself. Night had come, and the blue moon was rising. Mutant powers came in more than one way and were not always power precisely.

-->