Unofficial Portkey Archive

Blood Ties by diggingupophelia
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Blood Ties

diggingupophelia

A/N: Looks like this is going to turn out to be longer than a ficlet. Let me know how I'm doing.

~*~

Chapter 4

~*~

Hermione and Ginny were sitting in silence in the sitting room when they heard a commotion upstairs. There was shouting, mostly done by Lily, and voices trying to calm her down, mostly Harry's.

"I said, no Dad. There is no way. You did this. Not him. You and Uncle Draco just decided that it would be best. What about what we want?"

"I am looking out for you, and stop …"

"Saying, "Uncle Draco", I know I know."

"Hermione, will you please talk some sense into your daughter!" called Harry.

"Oh, now she is my daughter. What did our daughter do?"

"She won't accept Artie's proposal!"

"Proposal?" asked Hermione, obviously confused. "You mean he just did that now?"

"He apparently hadn't even thought about it. Honestly, those two are just getting more and more irresponsible by the second," added Harry. "And this isn't the worst of it!"

"What do you mean?"

Just then Draco staggered into the room. He was still very pale. "Twins. They are going to have bloody twins!"

Ginny bolted up from her seat. "I can't handle this. I am too young for all of this drama. Twins and unmarried parents. This just isn't done in our families." She said looking directly at Lily. "Where is he?" she asked, referring to Artie.

"Here, Mum," he said from behind his father. "She said no. All because I didn't think of it sooner, and her dad made me ask her!"

"Of course she said no you daft fool," added Harry. "A woman's idea of a good proposal is not thrusting a box into her hand saying `Here, your dad said I have to give this to you, we'll be married next week.' You could have at least put some effort into it."

"I was nervous," said Artie.

"And I don't want to marry someone because my father threatened him," added Lily.

"Well, now, I am threatening the both of you!" shouted Hermione. "You are going to put that ring on your finger and you two are going to choose a date and you are going to be happy about it! Understand?"

"Yes," started Artie.

"That was a rhetorical question," said Hermione. "There is no room for discussion this is what you two are going to do."

"How can you just force us to get married. You didn't even ask if we love each other or if we want to spend the rest of our lives together," said Lily in a calm voice.

"Well, my dear, it seems that it is a little late for that. You two will not bring shame upon this family," came the voice of Lucius Malfoy.

"Father," said Draco, worry evident in his voice. "When did you arrive?"

"I just apparated in a moment ago. Quite an interesting scene to walk in on. Obviously, Miss Potter, the relations that found you in this mess were consensual, or young Artie here would be hanging from the nearest tree."

"Father, really, we can handle this."

"Draco, as head of this family, I reserve the right to handle these matters," he added.

"Grandfather, please. We're going to be married. I just …"

"Exercised your Weasley charm again?" he asked. "No offence Ginevra," he added. "How many times have your father and I discussed this matter? You will come along with me and we shall have a little chat."

"No. I've had enough little chats and threats today, thank you. I will fix this my way. I wish everyone would just relax. Lily and I are having a baby, well two, but witches and wizards do this every day. It isn't as though we are unable to provide for a child or that you are going to make us sacrifice our futures so that we will never be able to take care of these children."

Everyone in the room was taken a back. Lucius looked rather insulted. Draco's mouth was wide open, no one had ever responded to his father like that before and lived. Harry was trying to figure out the best way to get his wand from Hermione's purse.

"Is that so, Artie? What if I told you that I would cut off your access to the family vaults?" asked Lucius.

Artie was silent.

"Father, really, he's been under a lot of stress today. He didn't mean it, please go back home and we'll sort the matter out," pleaded Draco.

"Very well, you have until tomorrow to straighten this out. But you and I will talk later," said Lucius before he Disapparated.

"This day just keeps going from bad to bloody worse," commented Draco.

"I'll say," agreed Ginny. "I am going to be a grandmother twice over at the very young age of 36. This is awful. I feel so old," she said, as she began to cry.

Draco's heart sunk to see his wife cry. "Oh, Love, it'll be all right. You aren't old. On the bright side…"

"There is no bright side!" she yelled. "Do you realize that we are going to have three children running around this house at once?"

"Why can't I just realize this stuff all at once. I can't take any more shocks today! And who said they had to live here? Potter has a sizeable house," he said.

"Oh, no!" added Hermione. "I finally got my peace and quiet back with James going off to Hogwarts in September. I can't have that. I'll love them dearly, but part of the benefit of having grandchildren is that you get to give them back when you tire of them!"

"Wait a minute," yelled Artie. "We are both going to be at Hogwarts doing Apprenticeships beginning next term.

"And who is going to watch the children?" asked Ginny. "Three babies all the same age … oh all those nappies!"

"Well, we could arrange to study in shifts or, Lily could wait until I finish…"

"You wait just one minute. Why should I have to wait? Why don't you wait until I finish…"

"Now, love, you know that I'll make more money with a Potions Apprenticeship…"

"So? We aren't in dire need of money. Our parents have already said …"

"Well, I … a baby needs its mother," he yelled.

"Artie Malfoy, a baby needs its father. I will not allow you to spend two years in the dungeons while I am left alone to raise our children!"

The parents just watched the exchange. This was not a good start at all. Hermione desperately wanted to get up and throttle Artie for suggesting that her daughter put her education on the back burner while he got to do as he pleased. However, Harry had his arms firmly pressed down on her shoulders so she couldn't get up.

"I'm not the one whose egg divided into twins. Why should I get all the punishment!"

"My family isn't the one with a history of twins. And if your Uncles are any indication of what these two are going to be like …"

"Enough!" yelled Draco, rubbing his temples. "No one is going to have to give up any education. I am not listening to this rubbish any longer. There is just no way that either of you are going to be able to peruse the Apprenticeships next term. Both of you will defer them for one year. I am sure it can be arranged. There that is settled."

"No, Draco, that is not settled," argued Hermione. "Education is important!"

"Well, then, would you like to offer your babysitting services?" countered Draco.

"Then again, a year off from school would do them good to grow as a family," added Hermione.

"Mum, are you mad? You've always said.."

Hermione put up her hand. "You won't have time to study with feedings and nappy changes and crying infants. It is best to wait."

"But … but … you are being so selfish, you should help us," she argued.

"We are going to help you. I, however, am done raising children," she said.

"And we still have William running about and the new baby," added Ginny. "You two can't depend on us to raise your children. We aren't saying we don't want you to peruse your education, but you don't need to at the moment either, as we are providing financial support."

"This is so unfair," said Artie.

"No, what is unfair is that I am going to be a grandmother to TWINS at the thirty bloody six years of age! That, my dear son, is unfair. I did not create this mess … you two did, and therefore you are going to act like adults. We," she said indicating herself, Draco, Hermione, and Harry, " all did it, and you can too!"

"But…."

"End of discussion," said Ginny sternly. "Now, we have a wedding to plan," said Ginny changing the subject.

~*~


-->