Unofficial Portkey Archive

Blood Ties by diggingupophelia
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Blood Ties

diggingupophelia

A/N: Thanks for the reviews. All of you are commenting on my fast updates … I am surprised too. I should, by all accounts be working on my paper …. But eh, I still have 2 days to work on it. *shrugs*. I hope you enjoy this chapter … comments appreciated.

~*~

Chapter 5

"Wedding plans, I haven't even been properly proposed to," complained Lily.

"But you have been asked," said Harry, "and that is all that counts."

Artie was fiddling with the ring box as he tried to ignore the conversation. He just wanted a Time-Turner so he could move ahead a year and be over this mess.

"Would you stop that and pay attention," scolded Draco, as he took the box from Artie's hand. "Honestly, you are about to become a father, there is no allowance for childish behavior."

Draco opened the box and scoffed. "Harry, you can't expect my son to give this ring to her, I mean this is embarrassing."

"The ring is perfectly fine. It is a family heirloom. It belonged to my grandmother."

"That is nice. But this just isn't going to do. I suppose I'll make a trip to Gringotts and get an appropriate ring for her. Honestly, Potter, I can't believe you think that this rign is suitable for an engagement ring!"

"Now whose acting childish," said Harry under his breath.

"What did you say?"

"I said, that when you are a father there are no allowances for childish behavior. You aren't setting a very good example for your son," he said. He paused. "No wonder our children are in this particular predicament. You never could keep it in your pants."

"Neither could you!"

"I thought I was going to die … I was making the most of the time I had left!"

"Oh? Is that so Harry?" asked Hermione. "That is interesting. All this time, here I thought you were showing me how much you loved me, how much we loved each other. How dare you cheapen what we shared, then and now!" she yelled.

"Hermione, I … didn't mean," he stuttered.

Ginny decided to nip this in the bud. She had wedding plans to lay out on the table, there was no time for any of this nonsense. "Hermione, he is a man, they never know what they're saying. Just let it go."

Hermione glared at her friend, but kept quiet.

"So it's settled then, I'll get a proper ring from the vault," said Draco.

"No," said Lily.

"What, why not? It would be of the finest …"

"I don't bloody care. I still haven't said `yes'. And you are all about to plan my wedding, my future. What ring I am going to wear. Artie hasn't even told me he wants to get married. The last bloody thing I want is to be stuck in a marriage where we hate each other because of lousy circumstances!"

No one said anything for a moment. Surprisingly, Artie was the one who spoke up first. "Lily, I do want to marry you. I do care about you, really I do. I would have asked you to marry me, but I was stupid. I didn't think …" he stopped. "I love you, even. I can make our marriage work, if you'll have me. Would you like to be my wife?"

A small smile crept over Lily's delicate features. "Yes."

Artie walked up to his father and took the ring from his hand. Draco reached for the box, and opened his mouth to protest. Ginny glared at him, and he stopped. Artie went over to Lily and slipped it on her finger. Lily looked down at the sapphire ring and smiled.

"Good, now that all that business is over with, can we please get on with planning the wedding?" asked Ginny. " I have the most lovely idea."

"I don't want to get married when I'm fat!" said Lily.

Artie opened his mouth to say something. Both Harry and Draco cleared their throats at the same time. Artie looked over at his father. "I would just leave that one go, son. Really, it is in your best interest."

"Right," nodded Artie.

"Well, you two are going to be married before the babies are born. Either you do it willingly or Lucius Malfoy will be forcing you down the aisle at wand point," warned Ginny. "How does next week sound. It can be a small affair…"

Immeidatley at the mention of wedding plans, Artie, Draco, and Harry's eyes all glazed over. They were thinking of more important things, like how to leave the room without being told to do anything. The men were unable to decipher the excited discussin between the women. They were a mess of waving hands and occasional shrieks. The buzz of their speech was interrupted by angry ramblings of one Ron Weasley.

"What in bloody hell is everyone so happy about in here?" asked Ron. "And why isn't the miserable little bugger who did this to my goddaughter tied to a tree by his toes?"

"Ron," started Ginny.

"You stay out of this Ginny, it does not concern you," he said.

"But Ron!" said Harry, trying to get Ron's attention.

"No, Harry. You have failed in your duty as a father, now it is my job to fix this, can't expect you do it all," he said.

"No, Uncle Ron, you don't understand," said Lily.

"Oh, I understand all right, love, some arse has taken advantage of you. Well don't you worry, I'll set this to rights. There will be a wedding for you in no time with a proper family!" He kissed her forehead. "How are you feeling, love."

"Fine. But Artie…"

"Oi, he's already taken care of it has he? That's what family is for!"

"No, Uncle Ron," said Artie. "Lily and I are getting married."

"So you're saving her then. Honorable mate. Honorable," he said slapping Artie on the back.

"No, he's the father, Uncle Ron," corrected Lily.

Ron began to slap Artie's back a bit harder. "Are you bloody mad? It is illegal for you to be messing around with your family like that! That is sick. I told your Mum she should've drowned you … Malfoy blood is just no bloody good!" he yelled jostling his nephew around.

Draco and Harry moved to restrain Ron. "Mate! Stop," yelled Harry. "Stop. They aren't really related. Not really. Just stop it's all right."

Ron stopped and then the realization hit him. His face turned red. "I…sorry. I …"

"Well, your heart was in the right place," whispered Artie as he backed away from his uncle.

"Sorry about that Aritie. I have issues with my temper," he explained.

"So I've noticed!" Artie noticed the look of worry on Lily's face. "It's alright, Lily, I'm fine. He didn't hurt me." Lily relaxed.

"I just … you … they…" he stammered. "Oh gods, Harry, now you're related to Malfoy by blood!"

Harry and Draco rolled their eyes and said solemnly, "We know."

"And I am not happy about it," added Draco.

"Well neither am I!" said Harry.

"Well at least you two agree on something," offered Ron shrugging his shoulders.

"Ronald Weasley," yelled Ginny. "How dare you come in here and interrupt my wedding plans!"

"They can't get married. It is just distasteful."

"Well what will you have them do Ron?"

"I dunno. But they are like cousins. It's just wrong!"

"The aren't related, Ron," said Draco. "Look, it has taken us all day to get them to agree to be married …"

"See, even they know it's wrong!"

"No, Uncle Ron," added Artie.

"Ron, listen to me," said Hermione, taking on a tone of superiority. "It is not against any laws of nature of the Ministry for these two to get married."

"How did you find out about this anyway," asked Draco, puzzled.

"Your father Flooed Mum, she only told me about Lily," he said. "You know how she's been since Dad died."

Everyone nodded. Soon, Hermione and Ginny disappeared to get more tea. Ron, Harry, and Draco followed. Artie and Lily were finally alone.

~*~


-->