Unofficial Portkey Archive

Survival of the Fittest by Twitch E. Littleferret
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Survival of the Fittest

Twitch E. Littleferret

A/N: Kudos to those who got the `Witching Hour' reference in the last chapter. Thanks for all the great reviews!

Chapter Four: The Ferret Strikes Back

Revenge is always the weak pleasure of a little and narrow mind-Anonymous

The music pulsated through their bodies, its drum beat coursing through them. The alcohol warmed them, burning their throats as it went down. If they got caught, they would surely be sent home for the rest of the summer. Poor muggles, fooled by the fake ID's that they conjured up. But it was their last day in New Orleans and they were going to take full advantage of it.

Dean, Harry and Ginny all tested each others alcohol tolerance, while Luna teased Ron, gyrating her hips to the music. Neville charmed a group of muggle college girls who inundated him with drinks, harpies that wrapped beads around his neck.

They were being watched. Draco Malfoy stood hidden in the shadows. His grey eyes watched them before nodding to others to set into motion the events of tonight. He left the club unseen.

~*~

A ray of sunlight fell across Ron Weasley face stirring him from his sleep. He groaned. His head hurt and his tongue felt as dry as sandpaper. He opened his eyes and glanced around the room. It wasn't his. He wouldn't dare put a West Ham poster on his wall. This was Dean and Seamus' room. Loud snoring brought his attention to the other side of the room. Neville was snoring loudly, beads wrapped around his neck. Ron moved off the bed and over to Neville to unwrap the beads from his neck so he wouldn't strangle himself in his sleep.

He placed the beads on the desk nearby then stretched his arms over his head, yawning. Seamus and Dean slept soundly on the top bunks. Wondering where Harry was he headed to their room.

Beads hung from the doorknob, the guys' universal signal that anything hanging on the door meant the room was "occupied". Ron knocked softly on the door.

"Harry?" he said quietly. He couldn't hear any movement in the room so he quietly turned the knob and opened the door. "Harry? Are you alright mate?"

"WHAT THE FUCK?!!"

Ron's exclamation woke Neville, Dean and Seamus. Harry was yanked from his slumber and bolted upright. He quickly figured out he wasn't alone when his bedmate screamed.

"Oh my God!" Harry and Ginny said in unison.

Ginny scrambled to cover herself with the quilt, Harry took the bed sheet.

"This isn't what it looks like," Harry explained lamely. Now that he thought about it, he couldn't really explain it at all. He remembered the club and drinking but everything was fuzzy after that.

"Ron calm down!" Ginny said calmly.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!!" Ron lunged for Harry but was held back by Neville and Dean who had come to see what the commotion was about.

"Would you quiet down? The whole floor can hear you!" Harry said sharply as he fumbled under the sheets to get dressed.

"SHE'S MY SISTER!!"

"Ron! Be quiet!" Ginny hissed. She was panicking inside. She couldn't remember a thing about last night. She didn't dare meet Harry's eyes and Harry wasn't in any hurry to meet hers.

"What's going on here?"

Harry's stomach dropped at the sound of Terry's voice.

"Get him out of here," Terry ordered and Neville and Dean dragged Ron to the other room.

Harry quickly put up a sheet to cover Ginny as she quickly dressed.

"This isn't what it looks like," Harry said. "This is a private matter, we don't need you butting in."

Terry remained calm, his face giving away nothing. "Ginny are you okay?" he asked in a soft voice. Ginny nodded. "Why don't you go ahead to the girl's floor? You were never here."

Ginny gave a worried look to Harry, who nodded, before she left the room. Terry looked back at Harry.

"Is there anything else?" Harry asked, irritated.

"And I thought today was going to be bad day," Terry said smiling before he turned and left the room.

He went next door and knocked on the door. Seamus let him in and Terry saw that Ron was still furious.

"Can you give us a moment?" Terry asked the others. The guys took their leave. Ron stood by the window, his jaw clenched tightly.

"I'm not taking any house points away, that would attract too much attention to this…situation. I'm assuming you don't want anyone finding out about this. I'll do it to protect your sister," Terry began. Ron said nothing.

"Normally, you would have to fill out paperwork if you requested to switch cabins but in lieu of these events I'll overlook it. You can move out today and move in here if you would like." Terry turned and left the room.

~*~

Ginny sat on the bathroom floor, crying. She couldn't figure out what had happened. She couldn't get the mental image of her brother's face out of her mind. The rage, the anger, the disappointment. She felt sick about it. Harry was like a brother to her. But at the same time, she was confused. She was a virgin and if she did anything like…that…with Harry, she would know about it. Right?

She didn't want to go back to her room. She couldn't. Hermione would hear about this and even though Hermione wasn't with Harry, it was clear that there were some lingering feelings there. She'd be just as angry as Ron. Their friendship ruined.

Back in his room, Harry was thinking the same thing. Did he do something with Ginny? He couldn't remember for the life of him. Was he that drunk? His friendship with Ron was damaged beyond repair and Hermione? Harry groaned. Hermione would murder him, he would lose her forever.

~*~

Hermione was already up but she was still surprised by the knock at the door. Curious to see who their visitor was so early in the morning she tiptoed to the door so as not to wake Luna.

"Terry, what are you doing here?" she whispered.

"Sorry to bother you but can I talk to you for a moment?" he asked, then seeing her hesitant look he quickly added, "Its school business."

She quietly closed the door behind her and followed Terry to a quiet corner in the hall.

"What it is?" she asked quietly.

"I wanted you to know that Ron is switching rooms," he began.

"What? Why?" Hermione asked.

"That's his business to tell you but I just wanted to let you know that I let him do it without any paperwork. Given the situation, it was the least I could do," Terry explained.

"Well…what…," Hermione was so confused.

Terry held up his hand to stop her flow of questions. "It's not my place to say anything. I just wanted to let you know so that you're…aware of what was going on."

"Okay," she sighed. "Thank you, I appreciate it."

"Sorry to wake you up so early," Terry said.

"No, it's fine. I was already up," she said.

"Slavery and Witchcraft report?" Terry asked.

Hermione let out a small laugh. "Yeah," she smiled.

There was an awkward silence between them before Terry spoke up again, wishing her a good day before leaving her. Hermione sighed then walked back to her room. It was only when she got there and took a good look around she realized that Ginny wasn't there.

Draco Malfoy was waiting for Terry in his room when he got back.

"So?" he asked calmly.

"You were right," Terry said. "Weasley had a fit."

"Told you he would," Draco shrugged.

"So, how do you know this is going to work? If they just got together and talked about this, this whole thing could fall to pieces."

"Trust me. I know them better than you do," Draco smirked. "This will work."

~*~

"Wanna talk?" Hermione asked Ron.

He had gone up on deck to be alone with his thoughts. He would rather spend time looking out at the ocean ahead than in the room next to…next to…him. Hermione had been looking for him all afternoon.

Ron looked at her. "Didn't Ginny tell you?" he asked before turning back and leaning against the railing.

Hermione stood next to him gazing out to sea.

"I haven't seen her all day," Hermione said softly. "Did you have a fight with Harry?"

"I found them in bed together this morning," his voice was surprisingly calm.

"Who?" she asked.

Ron paused a moment. "Harry and Ginny."

Hermione's world went into a tailspin. Harry and Ginny. She leaned against the railing for support.

"Are you sure it was-"

"Yes," Ron answered cutting her off.

Hermione's knuckles were turning white from the grip she had.

"I can't believe he'd take advantage of her like that," Ron muttered.

"You know Harry wouldn't do that. Ginny's her own person, she knew what she was doing," Hermione's voice wavered slightly.

Ron peered closely at her. "Hey, are you alright?"

"No Ron, I'm not," Hermione said distantly as she left him on deck.

Images passed through her mind as she walked back to her room. She saw an image of Harry, fresh from the shower, naked only with a towel wrapped around his waist. She saw Ginny running her hands over him and his hands running over her. Jealousy bubbled within her. Hermione only had an image in her mind, and idea of what it would be like to have Harry touch her intimately, what he would look like as he moved above her when they made love, how he would be when they climaxed together. All of that was ruined. She would never know what it would be like but Ginny would. And even if the stars were aligned just so Hermione would know what it would be like. She wouldn't want it. He was tainted. By sleeping with one of her good friends he was tainted. She hated Harry. She hated Ginny. She hated them both! They deserved to be together.

Hermione flung open the door to find Ginny and Luna talking to each other. They both rose from their seats when Hermione entered the room.

"Hermione, let me explain," Ginny said hastily. But Hermione didn't want to hear it.

"Shut up, Ginny. Just SHUT UP!!" Hermione screamed.

Ginny was too shocked to speak.

"Hermione what are you doing?" Luna asked as Hermione drew out her wand and began packing her belongings with a flick of her wrist.

"If you think I'm going to spend a MINUTE in the presence of that…PERSON, you have another thing coming!" Hermione said breathlessly as she gathered her belongings. Ginny began to cry.

"Hermione…I'm sorry. I don't-"

"SHUT UP!! I said I didn't want to hear it!" Hermione collapsed against the doorway, her arms full of her things. "You knew," Hermione said hoarsely, tears streaming down her cheeks. "You knew I loved him…and you…" She couldn't finish, she just shook her head and left the room.

Since she had opted to room with Ginny and Luna, the Head Girl cabin was empty, until now. Plopping her things on the floor, Hermione collapsed onto the bed in a heap of exhaustion and tears. A knock came at her door and she groaned.

"Go away," she mumbled.

The door opened and Terry walked in holding butterbeer and a pint of ice cream. Hermione sat up and looked at him.

"I got a couple of prefects to do our rounds tonight," he said softly as he closed the door behind him. "I thought you might need this," he placed the bottles and the carton on her desk. Hermione wiped her eyes with her hands. "Oh and this!" he said, bringing out a box of tissue from his cloak.

"Why are you here?" she asked. It wasn't mean, it was a simple question.

Terry pulled a chair up to face her. "We're still friends aren't we?" he smiled kindly.

Hermione gave a small smile and took a tissue from him.

"Terry?" she asked. "Am I pretty? Aren't I the type of person that guys want to be with?"

"Oh, Hermione. You are pretty. You are a force to reckon with. Beauty and brains?" Terry smiled. "That doesn't come by very often and I was a git to lose you in the first place."

Hermione gave a weak smile. "I meant aren't I attractive enough to make guys…you know…want to do…stuff with me?"

Terry licked his lips in apprehension before leaning forward and capturing Hermione's lips in a kiss. Hermione accepted it, opening her mouth to let him deepen it. Soon, Terry broke the kiss and looked at her.

"Hermione, you make me want to do lots of stuff with you," he whispered before pressing his lips to hers. Slowly he lowered her back onto the bed.

Harry was in a panic. He couldn't find anyone on this damn ship that he needed to speak to. Over half the day had gone by and he had yet to find Ron, Ginny or Hermione. How big couldn't this stupid ship be? He was sure by now that word had spread to Hermione about what happened this morning and he wanted his chance to explain things to her. Hell, he needed to talk to Ginny to figure out what in the hell did happen. He knocked on the door to the girls' cabin and Luna answered.

"Ginny! Ginny are you alright?" Harry looked over Luna's shoulder at Ginny who was sobbing on her bed.

"Oh, Harry!" Ginny wrapped her arms around him. "What happened to us?"

"I don't know but I'm going to find out. But first, where is Hermione?" he asked and Ginny broke out into more sobs.

"She hates me! She absolutely hates me!"

"Shh, no she doesn't hate you," Harry tried to soothe looking at Luna for help.

"She moved out today," Luna said sadly, "she wouldn't listen to her. She moved into the Head Girl cabin."

Harry extricated himself from Ginny. "Ginny I'll be right back. But I need to try and talk to Hermione, okay?"

Hermione and Terry lay on her bed, their shoes and sandals off as they relaxed together. Hermione couldn't go further than kissing him and he was happy just to be holding her in his arms again.

"We really should try and finish the ice cream," Hermione muttered.

"I'm sure it's all melted by now," Terry mumbled in her hair.

Hermione sat up and reached for the ice cream. Terry reluctantly sat up as well.

"We'll just cast a freezing charm on it, I'm sure it'll be fine," Hermione said as she pried the lid off.

But the container was slippery with condensation and melted chocolate ice cream splashed onto their shirts. They both laughed.

"I'll take care of this," Terry said, taking the container from Hermione and getting off the bed.

"We are a mess," Hermione said, looking at her ruined shirt.

"It's a good color on you," Terry smiled as he cast a freezing charm on the ice cream. "I have a t-shirt on underneath," he said and began to unbutton his shirt.

Hermione looked down at her t-shirt then back at Terry.

"I'll turn around," he said.

When he did Hermione took off her shirt and found a clean one in a suitcase. A knock came at the door just then.

"Hermione," Harry spoke through the door. "I need to speak with you."

"I don't want to talk to him right now," Hermione whispered to Terry as she began to button her shirt.

"I'll get rid of him," Terry offered.

"Hermione," Harry called out. "Please open the door."

She did but Harry was shocked to see who was behind it.

"Now's not a good time Harry," Terry said politely.

Harry looked at Terry, clad in jeans and an undershirt, his bare feet. He looked over his shoulder and saw Hermione sitting on a bed buttoning up her shirt. His eyes narrowed at Terry.

"I see," Harry said curtly and Terry closed the door in his face.

He stood there outside her door, breathing deeply in and out of his nostrils. Anger, hurt and jealousy coursed through him. He had half a mind to kick down the door, toss Terry out and show Hermione what he'd been wanting to do with her for a very long time.

But it wouldn't do any good.

He went back to Ginny and Luna's room. He needed to sort things out with Ginny and find out what in the hell happened.

~*~

Draco had to only sit back and watch the scene before him to revel in his glory. They were a day out of the coast of Costa Rica and nothing surrounded them but the blue ocean. They were on the last leg of the trip, summer almost over and September loomed ahead. But for now, they were taking advantage of the beautiful weather by sitting up on deck.

He watched the trio of friends laughing. No not Hermione, Ron and Harry. Draco's handiwork had demolished that to Hermione, Ron and Terry. Luna didn't completely abandon Ginny but she started dating Ron and therefore spent more time with him. Seamus, Dean and Neville did not want to get involved in the situation so they separated themselves from Ron and Harry, albeit they had to share a room with Ron. Harry had to listen every night to the laughter coming from the next room. Ginny got scathing looks from Ron and Hermione so she chose to stay away from Harry. Draco had made him a pariah.

It was great.

It filled Draco with such delight that he was making Potter's life a living hell. He basked in the glory he got for getting Hermione and Terry together. Reveled in the envious looks that Potter threw at the couple. Draco weaved his fingers together and cradled them behind his head. Yup, life couldn't get any better than this.

He failed to see the storm clouds up ahead that the ship seemed to be sailing directly into.


-->