Unofficial Portkey Archive

Journey Home by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Journey Home

jardyn39

Journey Home by Jardyn39

The office that was reputed to hold the most dangerous and unpredictable individuals traumatised from the war is now down to two. Fittingly, they are widely considered to be the most dangerous and unpredictable out of all the previous residents. He has a long way to go, but finally and with a little encouragement, Harry is ready to begin his own journey home.

Prologue

It is a few months after the final battle. Voldemort is gone, but the casualties were appalling.

Chapter One: The Clerk

Harry Potter threw the used teaspoon unceremoniously into the small sink and picked up the three mugs of tea he'd just made. Turning, he kicked open the door to the small annex and returned to the main office area.

Grimacing as the heat burned the knuckles of one hand, Harry hurriedly placed two of the mugs on the edge of the desk facing his own.

"Thank you," Arthur Weasley said brightly, immediately picking up a mug.

"Thanks," muttered Harry's colleague, turning the handle and dragging the hot drink towards himself.

Harry returned to his own desk and smiled seeing Mr Weasley dive for another biscuit from the plate presented in honour of his visit.

"So what have you two been getting up to?" asked Mr Weasley cheerfully.

"We've been carrying on with our investigation," said Harry before sipping his hot tea, and allowing his glance to fall on the framed picture of Hermione beaming and blowing kisses at him from his desk.

"Investigation?" asked Mr Weasley with interest.

"Yes, the number of suspects has become quite small recently," said Royce with a smile, looking down the rows of empty desks. The three of them were alone in the long narrow room.

"But what are you investigating?"

"Well, Harry thinks I've been hogging all the chocolate biscuits. Of course, I know it's just an elaborate ruse to throw suspicion from himself."

"Really?" said Mr Weasley, pausing when he realised he was about to dunk the last chocolate biscuit into his tea.

He quickly disposed of the evidence.

Harry smiled and looked around the now familiar room. There were no windows and the walls were lined entirely with shelves holding an assortment of files. The entrance door was right down the other end, farthest away from where Harry sat. Many pairs of vacant desks, each facing each other, filled the room.

Harry remembered that only a few months before, every desk had been occupied. That was just after the final battle. He came here directly from hospital.

This office was created especially at the Ministry of Magic at the behest of Arthur Weasley. He had to fight to get it set up, and even then the new Minister made no secret that any problems would be Arthur's responsibility. Harry was particularly aggrieved whenever he heard the Minister trying to take full credit for its success, and insisting that it had been he and not Arthur that had fought to keep it open.

Although the department was supposed to be responsible for filing and records, Harry was sure the mundane records were artificial.

No real work was ever done here.

It was just a place where wizards and witches could quietly, and sometimes not so quietly, come to terms with their experiences during Voldemort's final days. Hermione had told Harry that it was Post Trauma Stress or something.

Some stayed longer than others.

Arthur would visit regularly, sit and chat. When he was satisfied they were on the mend, he would transfer them onto light duties elsewhere. He showed endless patience and several troubled individuals had to return for a while.

Harry had to agree that this was better than locking people away in a secure ward, although for a long while he was in denial about his own need to be there.

The office had something of a reputation. In the early days, arguments and fights would break out at a moment's notice. Quite quickly, Arthur and Hermione became the only ones prepared to venture into the company of such dangerous and unpredictable people. Although the room was equipped with dampening charms that made performing magic quite impossible within it, that hadn't stopped the inmates attacking each other.

There were now only two resident occupants. Fittingly, they were widely considered to be the most dangerous and unpredictable out of all the previous residents.

Harry turned back to observe his colleague opposite as he chatted to Arthur.

While Harry was fighting for his life miles away at Hogwarts, another battle was being waged here at the Ministry in London.

Only Harry had killed or disabled more people than Royce had in the final battle. Harry knew few details of the circumstances. Royce had never spoken of them and Harry hadn't asked. Indeed, Harry himself had refused to speak in detail about his own experiences to anyone except Hermione.

Royce was a good few years older than Harry. He had apparently never been to Hogwarts and had been employed as a junior administration clerk at the Ministry of Magic. Harry realised he must have been used to younger witches and wizards being promoted ahead of him.

Arthur Weasley had been quite beside himself when he discovered that the Aurors had arrested Royce just after the battle. It appeared they could find no one to corroborate that he was even a Ministry employee, having spent most of his time down in the record department.

Royce's current wand had been taken from one of the Death Eaters he'd killed.

One of the few things Royce had confided to Harry was that most of his magic was performed wand-less because his family could not afford to buy him a wand. He implied that he hadn't attended Hogwarts for the same reason, but Harry was sure this wasn't true.

The only reason he kept the wand, Royce had explained, was in the hope that other witches and wizards might treat him normally.

Harry thought, with some regret, that this was unlikely to happen.

Although Harry had grown to know and like Royce, even he didn't entirely trust him. Harry had even tried to make Hermione promise not to visit the office unless he was present, especially now that there were only the two of them.

Other witches and wizards working at the Ministry weren't at all shy about making their feelings known. Terrified of the unassuming wizard, a murmur always greeted him as he passed through the entrance lobby and nobody but Harry was brave enough to share a lift with him.

Even worse, rumours dogged Royce. Most of them alleged that he was trying to attack Ministry employees and that the Death Eaters had just got in the way. Arthur Weasley had once dragged Harry away in fear of him hexing the Minister of Magic after he'd repeated one such rumour in front of him.

As angry as Harry had been, part of him wondered when Royce was going to snap. He had demonstrated an extraordinary and lethal duelling talent during the battle. Surely, Harry felt, it was only a matter of time before he decided to take matters into his own hands.

Harry knew Arthur was worried as well. He had told Harry that he was probably the only wizard skilled enough to fight Royce should it become necessary. He also hoped that Harry's friendship would influence Royce, especially as none of the Aurors were at all confident about taking him on.

*

Harry returned to the office after visiting the canteen and buying some sandwiches for himself and Royce.

For a long while Royce used to accompany him in defiance of the stares and whispers. However, he recently asked politely for some soup but had only received a terrified scream in response. After that, Royce hadn't been so keen to join Harry.

The first thing Harry heard as he entered the office was Hermione's laugh echo through the almost empty room. Harry smiled to hear her. That particular laugh was rarely, if ever, heard outside Hermione's closest friends, with whom she needed no reserve.

He closed the door and walked back towards them between the empty desks down the long room.

Harry had long since given up making arrangements to meet Hermione for lunch. She invariably cancelled because of meetings that over-ran or reports that needed urgent attention. Instead she would come and find him when she was free.

Hermione was sitting in the chair usually occupied by Arthur Weasley as he munched his way through their biscuits.

Seeing Harry, Hermione got to her feet and said, "Harry, at last! Come on, I'm buying you lunch. I feel like trying one of the cafes outside. Will you join us, David?"

"No, thanks," he replied smiling and Harry handed him both packages of sandwiches.

As soon as the office door closed behind them, Harry whispered what was troubling him.

"I though you agreed not to come into the office unless I was there?"

She sighed and said, "I felt safe. Besides, don't you think he's entitled to some trust? He has earned it, you know. He should have been awarded the Order of Merlin for what he did."

"I'm sorry," he replied softly, "it's just I couldn't bear it if anything happened to you."

Hermione kissed him gently on his cheek and they entered the lift, arm in arm.

*

"Had a good morning?" asked Harry with a grin as they sat choosing what to have for lunch.

Hermione just rolled her eyes and slipped her coat onto the back of her chair.

Harry always knew that when Hermione wanted to eat outside the Ministry for lunch, someone or something had managed to annoy her.

"I was so angry with those idiots," she whispered, being careful in case any of the other customers in the coffee shop overheard. "They just don't care what they say or do."

"Come the revolution," Harry muttered with a smile.

Harry doubted if Hermione could have found a job that gave her less job satisfaction. She had high hopes that being so close to the Minister would give her a chance to change attitudes at the highest levels.

Hermione had joined the campaign team that lobbied for the creation of Arthur's new department in the first place, amongst other things. Indeed it was because of her success that the then new Minister had offered her the post. At the time Hermione had known this was just because didn't want the likes of Hermione starting some new campaign.

Still, Hermione refused to give in and waged her own war on prejudice and inequality wherever she saw it. Unfortunately, she saw rather a lot in her position as assistant to the Minister.

Hermione was utterly unafraid of confrontations, but Harry was beginning to see that it was gradually having an effect on her.

At first, Harry wondered how long it would be before the Minister just sacked her. He wasn't that stupid though. It was good PR to have such a vocal and radical high-flyer on his staff, and he enjoyed his public stance on supporting her views, even if he did everything he could to block progress and change for the better.

Harry reached out and placed his hand over hers on the small white table.

Hermione looked up and returned his smile.

"You need a break," he said gently. "You must be due some time off, Hermione."

"It's difficult," she replied.

Harry nodded, deciding not to upset her by arguing. He knew she was afraid of what they would slip through in her absence.

"Come on," he said encouragingly, "have something indulgent today. What do you fancy?"

Harry tried not to show his disappointment as he noticed Hermione check her watch before choosing a pre-made salad sandwich.

*

"I didn't tell her again," said Harry as he slumped behind his desk again after he'd returned from lunch.

"What didn't you tell her?"

"Um, sorry, I forgot I hadn't told you either," Harry replied sheepishly. "Well, I kind of got myself accepted into the Auror programme again."

"You make it sound like you just wandered in there and got picked by accident. Congratulations," Royce said warmly. "When do you start?"

"Whenever I say I'm ready."

"Do you feel ready?"

"Yes, I think I am now," Harry said thoughtfully. "I couldn't have said that a few months ago, but I am now."

"You've been more than ready to leave here for some time," said Royce.

Harry smiled at him and nodded.

"So, you still fancy becoming an Auror?"

Harry shrugged and said, "I have to do something worthwhile and it's a start. Either that or join Arthur's old department!"

Royce snorted and said, "Well, you're pretty good at calming down hysterical canteen workers too. I hear there is still an opening for a canteen manager. Hey, you could memory charm people into thinking they've had a good meal!"

Harry laughed and shook his head.

"So," he continued, "that leaves me with two problems. The first is how do I tell Hermione?"

"That's no problem. It's only training, after all. Besides, she probably had to approve your application."

"I hadn't thought of that," said Harry. "She hasn't said anything."

"Applications must be confidential, after all."

Harry nodded and realised that as an assistant to the Minister most important paperwork would cross her desk. She rarely, if ever, spoke about her work.

"Did you say you had two problems?"

"Well, yes," admitted Harry. "I'm not too sure I should leave you on your own, actually."

"Well, I'm touched," Royce said smiling. "Actually, I've decided to ask Arthur if I can leave too. I was telling Hermione about it earlier."

"Are you ready top leave?" asked Harry seriously.

"If I stay here with these people, I'll never be ready," said Royce before sighing deeply. "Something happened, early this morning," he admitted.

"What happened?" asked Harry with concern.

"Well, you know I've been getting in earlier and earlier to avoid people. Unfortunately, I was a little later arriving this morning. The lift stopped as I was coming up and a couple of people got on. They completely ignored me, but the girl was chatting away constantly to her friend. Quite quickly she got around to retelling the latest atrocity that I'm supposed to have carried out. I really thought he would wet himself when I asked them to excuse me when I got off."

"But you didn't hurt them?" asked Harry uncertainly.

"No, but I'm surprised no-one has paid me a visit yet. A report is bound to go in."

"Well, if you didn't do anything," began Harry encouragingly. "So, where do you want to go?"

Royce looked at Harry, clearly wondering whether or not to trust him.

"You can tell me," said Harry.

Royce shrugged and said, "It's stupid really. I was telling Hermione about it and she said it was a really good idea. It all began when I found some notes written to me by my niece. She is only ten and I think she slipped them into my papers when she visited last."

Harry smiled. He had no idea Royce had any family left.

"Anyway, these short letters had an amazing impact on me. In less than five hundred words, she expressed more feeling than I'd read or expressed for years. Mostly it was just concerns she had about school and learning to play an instrument. It struck me that I was totally incapable of writing like that. I tried to reply, but my words were so dry and unemotional there was no way I felt I could respond without hurting her feelings.

"I decided then that I would learn to write. I tried simple things at first, like describing in words everyday objects. Then I tried writing short stories. Needless to say, I managed to exclude anything remotely emotional. Hermione suggested I might like to write about my own experiences, try to express what I was feeling at the time and since.

"I told her that I didn't have any experiences that people wanted to read about, after all I was just a junior clerk. She said she'd read my file and wasn't it time people heard my side of it. I told her I wasn't very proud of my side."

"So, what did happen?" asked Harry gently.

At that moment the fake golden Galleon he always kept in his pocket burned hot. He knew only himself and Hermione regularly carried them around with them these days. Indeed, he'd charmed hers to behave slightly differently now, so she didn't need to charm the coin to get his attention. Now, the Galleon reacted to her mood.

Harry jumped up and said, "Hermione's in trouble," before Disapparating to her.

*

Harry Apparated silently into Hermione's office. It was actually a large lobby between the Minister's private office and the Minister's meeting and waiting rooms. Her desk was vacant but ahead of him she could hear her shouting angrily. The large pair of doors that led into the Minister's private office were open and Harry quickly made his way towards the shouting.

"You know these are all lies!" Hermione was shouting. "You have witness statements to testify that nothing happened. Why are you persecuting him and why did you try to hide these files from me?"

"Miss Granger, I have to do something. People are getting very upset by his presence. It would be in everybody's best interest, you must see that."

"You are seriously telling me that it's acceptable to send someone to Azkaban just because people are upset by his presence?"

"He's dangerous."

"He's innocent!"

"Have you any idea of the number of people he has killed?"

"They were Death Eaters and he was defending Ministry staff, including yourself, Minister."

"From the state of their bodies, I wouldn't call his actions one of defence."

"Okay, charge him and give him a fair trial," Hermione challenged. "Let the Wizengamot judge his actions."

Entering the enormous and opulent room which looked more like a fine art picture gallery than an office, Harry saw Hermione standing in front of the Minister's large desk brandishing a file at the timid but defiant man sitting behind his large, ornate, gilt desk.

"That would not be in the public interest," blustered Stratford. "What if he attacked the court? He doesn't need a wand you know?"

Harry realised that Hermione couldn't see the two security wizards that were quietly approaching her from behind. He withdrew his wand and hurried forward.

The two wizards rushed at Hermione. They had almost got to her when she turned and screamed. Instantly the two men were hurled bodily away from her.

"How dare you set your goons on me," whispered Hermione threateningly at Stratford.

Harry got to her and was relieved to see she was physically unharmed, although shaking with fury.

"Thank you, Harry," she said.

"It wasn't me," he replied softly.

Harry looked at Stratford. He was just sitting there with a terrified look on his face. Harry and Hermione both turned to see what he was staring at.

Royce was standing behind them, looking calm and dangerous.

Suddenly there was the sound of ripping timber. The large heavy desk was torn in two and the two halves thrown apart.

Royce hadn't uttered a word but it was obvious that he was responsible. It was simply a demonstration of what he was about to do to the Minister.

Hermione stepped between Royce and the still seated Stratford and said as calmly as she could, "Please, David, he's not worth it. If you kill him now I won't be able to keep you out of Azkaban. Let the Wizengamot judge him. Please. I intercepted some of the papers this morning. We have the evidence now."

Royce looked down, thinking about what Hermione had said.

After an age, he nodded. Hermione gave an enormous sigh of relief as she hugged Harry.

Royce walked over to Stratford and whispered some words into his ear. The Minister blanched but sat still, obviously terrified. Royce reached into Stratford's robes and took his wand.

"I collect Death Eater wands," he said smiling at Harry and Hermione. "I have quite a few now."

Hermione just looked totally shocked. Harry looked behind them to see Kingsley Shacklebolt and Arthur Weasley rushing into the office followed by several others.

"If you're okay, I'd better make myself scarce," said Royce.

Hermione nodded shakily to him and Royce Disapparated away.

*

Harry stayed with Hermione as she made arrangements for the Aurors to take Stratford into custody. She explained at some length to all the senior department heads what she had discovered.

Eventually, Harry escorted Hermione back to the office where they knew Royce would be waiting for them.

Outside, they found a woman pacing up and down outside. Her anxious look was replaced by a tearful smile when she saw Hermione.

Hermione broke away from Harry and hugged her gently.

"It's okay, Kathryn," she said gently. "Let's go inside."

*

Hermione made the introductions and told Harry that it was Kathryn that had come to her this morning. She had been the girl gossiping in the lift this morning. Somehow the Minister's security wizards had found out and had tried to make her give a false statement.

It was only when Hermione discovered a file that the Minister and his aides had never intended her to see that she confronted Stratford. The file appeared to have been placed in her in-tray by accident.

"I am so sorry," Kathryn said to Royce. "I had no right to say the things I did about you. I'm sure none of them could possibly be true."

Royce smiled slightly and nodded accepting her apology. She immediately looked relieved.

"They found the Dark Mark on him," said Hermione. "It wasn't on his forearm like the others, though."

"I suppose that was because he was a spy when Voldemort was around," said Harry.

Hermione nodded and sat down.

"David, I think it's time you told the truth about what happened," said Hermione. "There's going to be a trial, and everything is going to come out anyway."

Royce looked down but didn't say anything.

"The records are incomplete. Stratford has had ages to remove anything that incriminated himself and fabricate evidence against you."

Royce sighed deeply and said, "Well, alright. But I need a cup of tea first."

Harry said brightly, "Four teas coming up!" but before he could get up a tray with four cups of tea appeared over Royce's desk before landing gently.

"How long have you been able to do magic in this room?" asked Hermione indignantly. "It's supposed to be impossible!"

"Well, always, actually," admitted Royce. "Hermione, please don't look at me like that. Harry's been able to do magic too, although I only realised that when he Disapparated out earlier."

Hermione turned to Harry who held his hands up.

"I only didn't tell you because I thought you'd be upset that your wards might not be perfect," he said. "I didn't actually do any magic here, and I'm sure no one else has been able to."

Kathryn sniggered and took the cup and saucer that Royce was offering her.

When they were all settled, Royce began.

"It all began with a complete accident. I was in the records store trying to put a file back on one of the high racks. It just wouldn't go back in. Eventually I got frustrated and shoved it in with the result that a large box on the other end of the row fell off. You can imagine my horror when I realised it had fallen on someone.

"I rushed down the ladder and hurried along to then end of the row. There I found a figure that I'd just knocked out. I turned them over and realised they were wearing a mask. I pocketed his wand and went to summon help. Before I got to the door, the screams started.

"I exited quietly and found that I was standing behind a group of six cloaked wizards who had about twenty people cornered. I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do but then one of them sent a killing curse into the crowd. I shouted for him to stop but it was too late. They turned and we fought.

"Suddenly loads more appeared from side doors. It seemed that for every one that fell, two more joined them. I have no idea how I survived, but by the end I was surrounded by bodies. I could hear fighting continuing elsewhere and I hurried over to where the others were cowering. I wanted to get them away because I could hear more of them coming.

"I can't really describe what a felt at that point. You see, they looked absolutely terrified. Not of the Death Eaters, but of me. One girl actually panicked and rushed out of the very door they needed to keep away from. She was killed almost instantly by the Death Eaters on the other side, but the look on her face has haunted me ever since. Imagine, she actually preferred rushing towards the Death Eaters and certain death than staying in a room with me."

Royce paused and the others waited in silence.

"Anyway, I kind of lost it at that point. I just roamed the corridors and offices and picked off any Death Eaters as I found them. Some of the things I did were truly terrible. I didn't just kill them cleanly.

"I stopped when I encountered Stratford. There were four Death Eaters in the room and it looked like they were all trying to use Floo Powder to get away. I killed them but I stopped with Stratford. I was sure he was collaborating with them but he didn't have the same cloak nor was he wearing a mask. I checked for the dark mark on his arms but there was nothing. I couldn't understand why they hadn't killed him though. He wasn't important enough to kidnap then."

"So, that's why he wanted to get you out of the way," said Hermione thoughtfully. "He knew you suspected him."

"Of course, my suspicions were somewhat confirmed when he had me arrested minutes later. If it hadn't been for Arthur Weasley, I'd be in Azkaban now."

*

Arthur Weasley had just finished telling them the latest developments, including the news that he had been invited to become Acting Minister until elections could be held.

"But you'll be standing for election, won't you?" asked Hermione.

"Me? Heavens no!" replied Mr Weasley smiling. "None of the others wanted to do it because they won't be able to campaign. No, I have no ambitions in that regard. I did think it would be an ideal opportunity to put some more radical legislation through, though."

Hermione grinned at him.

"David, I'd like you to join my private office staff," said Mr Weasley.

"I was hoping to get away from here, actually," he replied. "Besides, I've only ever been a junior clerk."

"Not only are there probably still agents of You-Know-Who still around here, Hermione is going to make herself very unpopular in some quarters with her plans. With Harry going into training, I need someone to do her filing and protect her."

"So when could I leave?"

"Harry's initial training will take six months," advised Mr Weasley. "Then he'll have a six month work experience period which he'll spend working for Hermione. You may take a sabbatical for those six months but after that you'll have to take over again. If you don't agree then there will be no new legislation. I will not place Hermione at risk."

"Please, David," pleaded Hermione, "say you'll do it."

"I want to make something very clear," said Royce seriously. "I'll only take the job as a clerk. I'll do whatever is necessary to ensure Hermione's safety but I'm not prepared to accept payment for anything other than being a clerk."

"Thank you, David," said Hermione smiling warmly.

"I do have one concern, though."

"What's that?"

"I've seen Harry's filing," he answered wryly. "I'm not sure I could face coming back knowing he's had a whole six months to mess things up."