Unofficial Portkey Archive

Journey Home by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Journey Home

jardyn39

Journey Home by Jardyn39

Chapter Thirteen: Detention

Hermione was running as fast as she could on her way to Professor McGonagall's office when she passed David Royce running in the opposite direction.

"David?"

They ran back to each other.

"What on earth are you doing here?"

"Just got back from Azkaban," David gasped. "I need to find Harry! Where is he?"

"He's up on the Third Floor again. We think we found something. I came to get help."

"I need to warn him," said David. "Please tell McGonagall but please stay there. Your other friends should be with her as well."

He hurried off shouting, "The Ministry records were wrong, Hermione! They were wrong!"

"David, what records?" Hermione shouted after him, but he'd gone.

She hurried on herself.

*

Harry stood, turned and fired in one movement. He intended to keep shooting stunners around the room but something hit him, barging him painfully against the cupboard shelves.

He fell to the floor, trying to grab whatever had hit him.

The smell was incredible.

Suddenly a lower leg became visible just in front of his face, but it was quite unlike any living leg Harry had ever seen. The flesh was grey and peeling away to reveal putrid fat and muscles.

Hydrus shot out of Harry's sleeve and sunk long venomous fangs into the leg. The tiny golden snake was shrugged off with a kick, and sent flying across the room.

The leg became invisible again and Harry heard desks being shoved out of the way as the intruder made his escape.

Harry rushed over to Hydrus.

"Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine. Go! Leave me!"

Harry rushed out of the classroom in pursuit. He ran down the corridor and found David Royce sprawled out on the floor, attempting to pick himself up.

"David?"

He looked at Harry blankly for a moment, clearly dazed.

"Harry," he said at last. "Why was I coming to see you?"

"How about to warn me about an intruder?" asked Harry with a grin, pulling Royce to his feet.

"Or two," added Royce. "Harry, what's all that noise?"

"It's just the students. Professor McGonagall said they could go to breakfast provided nothing was found."

Harry swore loudly as the realisation of what he'd just said hit him.

They ran down to the main entrance.

*

Fortunately, the intruder appeared to be slow on their feet. Just as Harry got to the stair landing, he saw a student being shoved to one side by an invisible force.

Harry pointed his wand at the main entrance doors, which then slammed shut and bolted themselves at once.

He realised the invisible intruder must have gone into the Great Hall, judging from the noise.

Royce had caught up with him.

"Stay here," ordered Harry. "Remember, we need this one alive!"

Harry rushed into the Great Hall and Royce magically closed and sealed the doors.

"Wands out, everyone!" shouted Harry jumping up onto the Ravenclaw table. "We have an invisible intruder in here. Shout if you get pushed or smell anything unpleasant."

A great murmuring erupted from the students at these words.

"Silence!" shouted Harry, before continuing more quietly. "We need quiet to hear the intruder. Think now, don't make me regret allowing you stay and help."

Of course, Harry's only real regret was allowing the intruder in the hall where students were vulnerable. However, at least there was total silence in the hall now, as everyone listened.

The only sound was Harry's quiet footsteps as he walked along the table.

"Shoot sparks where you think they may be. You'll see an outline if you're right."

He continued along the table.

A couple of students fired sparks at what they thought was the intruder.

"The thing about being invisible," Harry continued, "is that it is very difficult to remember that you are still solid. People can still bump into you, hear you, smell you."

He turned slowly, needing confirmation that the intruder was where he thought.

If he was right, they would run for the exit.

Harry reminded himself that he needed this intruder alive and capable of talking. The only reason why Professor McGonagall hadn't stopped the students coming down for breakfast would be if she hadn't got Hermione's message.

He pointed his wand but didn't fire.

Nothing.

Harry kicked a bowl off the table. It flew off the table and then appeared to bounce of something in the air.

The intruder was spooked, and ran.

Harry fired a large spray of sparks which showed up a cloaked running figure.

"Stupefy!" said Harry. His red stunner blasted the intruder square in the back. He fell and slid along the floor, scattering a few chairs.

Students recoiled in horror as they saw what emerged from the invisibility cloak that had become dislodged.

The great doors opened and Royce stepped in.

They met next to the intruder. Thankfully, he had managed to land on his back. Harry didn't fancy turning him over. It looked like the flesh would come away at the slightest touch.

"Recognise him?" asked Royce.

"No, but there's not much left of his face, is there?"

"Ennervate," said Harry, and the figure woke with a great intake of breath.

Harry recognised the eyes at once.

"The Ministry records showed he died," explained Royce. "But Azkaban the records said he was actually released on account of his dying."

"So he faked his death?"

"No, he is dead."

"Um, so who is this?"

"Do I have to listen to you morons for much longer?" complained their prisoner. "Of course I'm dead you idiot, Potter. Just look at me!"

"While he was in Azkaban he contracted something a little unpleasant," advised Royce.

"What was he doing there anyway?"

"Well, at his hearing he asked for several other offences to be taken into consideration. He was remanded in Azkaban awaiting sentencing, but in the end he only got one month."

"He's not contagious, is he?"

"No, don't worry. It is strange though. Zombification is incredibly rare and almost unheard of in this country, yet there were two cases in Azkaban at almost the same time."

"Great, so there's another zombie walking around out there somewhere. I assume he's the accomplice?"

"Yes, it is rather likely that he may be an accomplice. No, he's not exactly a zombie."

"How do you know?"

"The Azkaban records show that he was cremated. The guards think it was an escape attempt. Somehow the prisoner got hold of a potion that turned them into a zombie. They then took on all the features of a normal dead body. They think the plan was for the body to be claimed and then for a restorative draught to bring them back. Great plan, except the family sent word asking for a cremation. The Guards only realised when the screaming started in the oven. They were a little slow to react, unfortunately. Not a lot was left."

Harry frowned.

"So how did you come to become a zombie?" he asked.

The captive just glared up at him.

Harry pointed his wand directly at him.

"What? You're going to threaten me? What can you do that I've not suffered a thousand times over? I can't feel anything but constant agony any more! I can't be killed because I'm not alive!"

Harry looked up at Royce.

"Yes, he does rather have a point," he agreed.

"Um, Harry?"

Harry started. It was Carmen. He hadn't seen her there.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I read a book on zombies."

Royce looked at her dismissively, but Harry knew better.

"Go on, Carmen."

"Well, it is true that zombies, real zombies that is, can't be hurt or killed. However, if a restorative potion is administered, then they can be restored, not just reanimated. That is, they will feel pain again and can also be killed."

"Could you make us some potion? We need it now, though. We have to find Hermione."

"Well, the active ingredient happens to be the venom from an incredibly rare snake that usually inhabits the South American rain forests."

Harry's face grew into a smile.

"This snake, it wouldn't happen to be small, golden and incredibly cheeky, would it?"

Carmen grinned and nodded.

"I'll go and find him!" shouted Carmen, turning to run out of the Hall.

"No need, Carmen."

Harry turned back.

"How's the leg feeling?"

"What do you mean? I-, ARGH!" he shouted as Harry stepped on him.

*

"Harry, don't take this the wrong way," whispered Royce, "but was it really a good idea to threaten to torture someone in front of all your students? It's not exactly leading by example, is it?"

"No," Harry admitted, "but I might get more homework handed in on time now."

Harry was studying his Marauder's Map closely as they made their way along the dungeon corridor.

"I don't think I've ever been down here," said Harry, pointing towards a door.

Royce unlocked the door and heaved it open.

"Lumos!" whispered Harry.

The dark narrow corridor extended far beyond the reach of Harry wand light. They began to walk onwards.

After a few minutes they came to a junction shaped like a cross.

Harry folded and pocketed the map.

"It doesn't go this far."

"Which way shall we try first?"

"Listen," said Harry, holding up his hand. "Down here!"

They ran down the corridor, following the source of the indistinct noises.

*

Harry was sure they had the correct room, although it was silent now.

"I'll blow the door," he whispered, "then we both rush in."

The heavy timber and iron door was blasted into fragments into the room. Harry rushed in with Royce close behind.

Harry felt something heavy crash down on him. Whoever this was they had been hiding behind the door.

Harry fell, rolled over and fired. His stunner bounced off the walls.

"Stop!" shouted Hermione's voice from out of the choking dust that now filled the air. "It's Harry! Don't. He's on our side!"

Harry felt another blow from his invisible assailant.

"Peeves, I'm warning you!" shouted Hermione.

Harry could hear familiar chuckling now.

"Peeves!" he muttered, and the Poltergeist appeared in front of him at once.

"Just making sure," he said slyly, barely able to contain himself.

The room was clearing now. Royce was sprawled out on the floor again, apparently having been hit by Peeves as well.

Hermione, was sitting on a large box in the middle of the room.

She looked rather dusty, but also rather pleased with herself.

"Sorry, David. Sorry, Harry," she said contritely before breaking into a loud laugh.

"Hermione, kidnap victims aren't allowed to laugh at their rescuers," said Harry, dusting himself off. "It's in the Auror handbook."

Royce snorted.

"Well, we thought you were the accomplice and decided to capture you as well," she said defiantly.

"No, Hermione, we got the other one," said Harry. "Are you okay?" he asked seriously.

"Of course I am," she said dismissively. "You don't think Peeves and the second brightest witch Hogwarts has seen for quarter of a century together would be any match for a mere wizard, do you?"

Harry contented himself with just rolling his eyes.

"He's in there, is he?" asked Royce, indicating the large chest Hermione was sitting on.

Peeves laughed maniacally as Hermione looked guiltily away and said quietly, "Some of him is in here, yes."

*

Hermione jumped off the chest and the three of them approached as Peeves looked on expectantly.

Harry lifted the lid.

A burnt and charred partial skeleton was in the bottom. The skull was on its side looking away from them and Harry could see it still had a jaw, part of the backbone, the top half of the ribcage and one complete arm.

"What did you do to him?"

"Me?" said Hermione indignantly.

"Tell us what happened, Hermione," said Harry seriously.

"Well, the two of them managed to catch Peeves down here on one of his excursions. He wouldn't tell me how they did it. I suspect he's worried some of the students might find out.

"Anyway, I saw him as I was running to raise the alarm. His invisibility cloak slipped and I caught a glimpse of something headed down here. There was no one else around so I decided to follow.

"He must have heard me though, because he got me when I came through that door. When I came to, he was trying to contain Peeves.

"Unfortunately, Peeves rather upset him. He literally began to fall to pieces. I collected the bigger bits and dumped them in here while we waited. It is really quite extraordinary how the rest of him kept walking around."

"So where is the rest of him?"

"I afraid those bits got blown up when the door was blasted in. This dust. It's bone."

"Oh great," sighed Harry, hanging his head. "Another reprimand from Kingsley."

The skull lying in the bottom of the chest turned to face him, his jaw moving as if speaking.

"Harry," said Royce, "wouldn't it be kinder to finish the job? He's blind, dumb and condemned never to rest like this."

"No," replied Harry gently, looking directly into the empty eye sockets of the moving skull. "It's not for us to judge or execute him. The Wizengamot can decide if they wish, but it won't be us."

Harry picked up a couple of larger pieces of door fragments and transfigured them into a smaller chest complete with a padded lining. He gently transferred the skeleton and closed the lid which had a small glass viewing window.

"What's that for?"

"I don't know if he can see or not. He can still move without muscles, so it might be possible."

Hermione lead the way out.

Royce looked at the box and said, "You know Harry, I wanted to kill him so badly. Now I actually feel sorry for him."

Harry nodded and followed.

Just before they got out of the dungeon Royce asked, "I don't suppose there's any way that dust we left could reconstitute itself somehow, is there?"

*

"Hermione," Ron pleaded in the voice he had perfected during their Second Year. "Please help me with my homework."

"But how will you learn, Ron?"

Ron continued along the table.

"Ginny? Didn't I come out of my hole just for you?"

"I'll push you back in if you don't watch it," she replied with a grin.

"Neville. My good friend Neville. You'll help me, won't you?"

Neville grinned at him.

"Tell you what, Neville. I've been giving this some serious consideration and I've almost decided. I'm sure that will a little help in the homework department will give you credit."

"Credit for what?" Neville found himself asking.

"I've almost decided to give my consent to you going out with Ginny."

"Really?" said Neville, fingering his wedding band. "Going out with her?"

"Well, so long as there's a chaperone. And no kissing. Hey stop that! I said no kissing!"

Harry laughed and returned to his conversation with Luna and Hermione.

"So who were they?" asked Luna. "The zombies, I mean."

"Well, this really all started with someone called Stratford."

"The Minister of Magic?"

"Yes. He was convicted and sent to Azkaban were he's been until quite recently. The other one was called Agnellina. He used to be a teacher here. He resigned just before I got here.

"Agnellina attempted to destroy Carmen Callidus' wand. He also made a complaint about me for something I did to him on the day he left here."

Luna raised her eyebrows enquiringly.

"I re-plumbed a few of his internal organs. Nothing permanent, but probably rather painful. Particularly, getting it corrected. Anyway, he couldn't do anything because I'm still on the active Auror books."

"Hm," said Hermione. "I'm thinking of lobbying for a change to that law. It's hardly fair that Aurors can do anything and remain unpunished."

"Well, I did get a reprimand," replied Harry with a grin. "Besides, every dark wizard caught would claim we'd treated them unfairly."

"I expect some of them were!"

"You were telling me about Agnellina and Stratford?" interrupted Luna, putting an end to their argument.

"Sorry Luna," said Harry. "Yes, Agnellina was only charged with attempting to destroy a wand. He wouldn't have been sent to Azkaban at all, except he'd been up to a few other things."

"Yes," added Hermione. "They were all really minor. I acted as prosecuting counsellor at his hearing. We recommended a fine and release."

"No, that wouldn't have worked," said Harry. "Kingsley was right to want him to go on a rehabilitation course. Anyway, he was sent to Azkaban to await his sentence. He would almost have caught the next boat back, actually."

"So what happened," asked Luna.

"He had the misfortune of having a cell next to Stratford. Azkaban isn't nearly as dreadful place as it was when the dementors ran things, but it is still very intimidating. The guards said Agnellina was quite terrified.

"Stratford extended a helping hand to Agnellina, and I imagine he was quite grateful. Stratford explained the routine and put Agnellina at his ease. As a politician, though, lies and deceit come very easily.

"Stratford had heard about the escape attempt of another inmate. It sounded like a good plan, so somehow he got himself involved in the attempt. With a life sentence, he had little to loose. The escape depended upon a particular potion that had been smuggled in. Stratford killed the other inmate once he got hold of the potion, making the mistake of not asking the correct dosages beforehand."

"So, he needed a guinea pig?" asked Luna.

"Yes, the unfortunate Agnellina was probably grateful that his new friend was suddenly very generous with his rations."

"How horrid," breathed Luna.

"The worst of it was, Stratford still managed to get the dose wrong. Stratford took too much while Agnellina got too little.

"Agnellina died but remained animated, not knowing what had happened to him. Stratford took on the appearance of a corpse and was moved to the morgue. Because of the dose he took, it appears he only became reanimated while he was being cremated.

"The guards investigated Stratford's cell and discovered Agnellina's condition. He was released but the paperwork got confused. What was left of Stratford was boxed up and shipped off to his family. It appears that Agnellina took them, though. I presume he wanted to revenge himself upon Stratford.

"Yet Stratford still managed to persuade Agnellina to come back here and take revenge against me."

"How did they communicate?"

"We've no idea," Harry admitted. "Could be zombie telepathy for all we know."

Professor McGonagall swept along beside the Gryffindor table where they were all finishing lunch, clearing her throat as she got to them.

"Mr Potter, I believe you have an appointment?"

"Thanks, I'm just on my way," said Harry getting up. "Coming?" he asked Hermione quietly.

Hermione smiled but shook her head no. "No, Harry, but perhaps I'll drop in later."

"Mr Weasley," continued Professor McGonagall, "is it true that you've been given a detention already?"

"Um, yes Professor," he admitted, going red.

"I know you are only with us for one day, Mr Weasley, but I do expect you to behave yourself."

"Yes, Professor," he said sheepishly as she continued up to the staff table.

Harry grinned seeing many wagging fingers being waved at Ron.