Unofficial Portkey Archive

Journey Home by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Journey Home

jardyn39

Journey Home by Jardyn39

The Carmen character in this Chapter was first introduced in "The Golden Serpent" and featured again in "The Pauper's Time." She has known Harry since she was nine years old and was considered a witch prodigy. She has a snake familiar named Hydrus. Harry remembers her as bright, resourceful and mischievous.

Chapter Three: Splashing in Puddles

Harry Potter walked from Hogsmeade Train Station up to the school at a leisurely pace, his head full of memories of the time he'd spent at school there. He had decided to come up on the early train, feeling the journey time would give him an opportunity to put his feelings in order.

He paused before entering the great gates, looking up at the winged boars. It had been quite a while since he'd been here.

Then he steeled himself, and walked up to the castle.

As he got closer, there were signs of activity. Figures in familiar uniforms were hurrying in small groups to their lessons.

Harry was almost tempted to go straight down to Hagrid's house, but felt he should put in an appearance at the castle.

He climbed the steps up to the main entrance doors, wondering where he should go first. He decided the staff room would be best at this time in the morning, since he had no idea what the password was.

As he reached the top step, Professor McGonagall stepped through the open door to greet him.

Harry smiled widely seeing her.

She smiled back warmly, at once her transforming her familiar strict appearance.

"Welcome back to Hogwarts, Harry," she said, "It's been too long since you were last here."

She reached up and kissed him lightly on the cheek, earning him a curious look from a passing Second Year.

This was only the second time she had shown him such open affection. The first had been while he had been recovering in hospital after the final battle. She had personally broken him the news of all those who hadn't made it, something that had been kept from him for fear of his reaction.

"Come, let me show you your quarters," she said taking his arm, "and then we'll take a short tour before lunch."

They walked up the great staircase, chatting about Hermione.

McGonagall lifted the side of one of the tapestries on the half landing to reveal a great door.

"I thought this was a solid wall," said Harry. "I'm sure I hid behind here a couple of times!"

"Yes," she said with a smile, "I know you did."

She touched the finger plate and the door clicked and swung open silently. They entered and McGonagall closed the door behind them.

Harry was stunned. Extending before them was a long corridor. He was sure they had just passed through an external wall.

This was just impossible. They should be outside now.

McGonagall smiled seeing his confused expression.

"You see, Hogwarts still hold some secrets that map of yours can't see."

Harry grinned at her and nodded.

"I'm sorry to say," continued McGonagall as they walked down the carpeted corridor, "that some teachers fail to immediately see the significance of the illusion."

They reached the end of the corridor where it split off into a tee. Harry stared out of the window and shook his head in disbelief.

"I've flown over the castle more times than I can remember," he admitted, "but I've never seen this garden."

"Well, we like to have some private space," McGonagall said casually. "Now, that way leads to the lounge and there is a small reference library and dining area, although we do encourage staff to eat in the Great Hall. Reading is acceptable in the lounge, but please don't bring any work into there. The bar is moderately stocked.

"There is also a kitchen area should you wish to cook anything for yourself. Albus was rather keen on making late night suppers and he didn't like to disturb the house elves."

They walked along the other corridor.

"These are the staff suites. We can extend them to a limited extent, but we are restricted. You are the new boy, so you've just got what is left. As you become more senior and staff leave, you can choose from what is available."

"I'm sure it'll be fine," said Harry as McGonagall opened the last door.

The suite was large but rather drab. The living room was lined with rows upon rows of empty shelves but the bedroom and bathroom were well equipped and spacious.

"You may redecorate as you wish but please don't try and rearrange the walls. I'm sorry you don't have a window with a view, but perhaps you'll do better next year."

"This is great, really."

"The fireplace is connected to the Floo network and you can of course communicate with any fireplace in the school from here. The Floo only accepts incoming calls from staff or outside the school."

Harry nodded.

As they exited, McGonagall said, "Oh, the indoor and outdoor swimming pools are further down there. I understand there is a makeshift Gym there too."

*

"Ginger Newts."

The large stone gargoyle slid aside to reveal the circular moving staircase.

They had spent the last hour revisiting the castle and part of the grounds, but nothing had quite affected him as much as coming back to this office.

Harry felt like he was in a trance right up to the moment when McGonagall opened the door to her office.

The large circular office was much as he remembered, the portraits of past headmasters and headmistresses looking down upon them.

"Welcome back, Harry Potter!" said a familiar corpulent figure.

Harry smiled and nodded to them, but was sorry to see that the portrait of Albus Dumbledore was empty at present. He must be off somewhere more interesting, having several portraits to choose from.

"Harry, I need to ask you something," said McGonagall sitting herself behind her desk, one of the few things that were obviously different.

"Anything," replied Harry, taking a seat.

"Well, would you mind doing a little more than just teach Defence Against the Dark Arts?"

"What do you need?"

McGonagall hesitated.

"I generally don't approve of junior teachers taking too much on at the beginning, and I was worried you might need a little time to recover. It can't be easy coming back here after everything that happened."

"Some things will be difficult, it's true, but I'm ready now to face them."

"Yes, I can see that," she said warmly. "Even so," she added doubtfully.

"What can I do?"

"Well, I'm having a few problems fulfilling staff positions. Professor Agnellina has just resigned. He was hoping to get the Defence Against the Dark Arts post permanently. His actual position was teaching intermediate Charms, although he barely managed that."

"I'm sure I could cope with Charms. Well, intermediate level anyway."

"Oh yes, no question. But, that's not the post I have a problem with."

Harry frowned slightly.

"You see, Professor Agnellina was the Gryffindor Head of House. He hasn't actually been doing any of his House duties for a while, though."

"Why ever not?" Harry asked with concern.

"There have been a few problems. Gryffindor has an unruly element at the present. It happens every few years in any House."

"How many students form part of this unruly element?"

"One."

"One?" asked Harry, breaking into a grin.

McGonagall nodded seriously.

"But who on earth could-" began Harry before stopping abruptly. "Hang on, are we taking about Carmen?"

"Who else?"

Harry laughed.

"I know she had a rough start. She told me all about the boats on the lake on her first day. She just wanted all the other First Years to meet the giant squid. You know how enthusiastic about everything she was."

"Yes, I remember. I also remember the state Professor Agnellina was in after he tried to punish her for that. We never did find out what she did to him."

"But I thought she calmed down. When I stopped getting reports I assumed things were going well for her."

"Reports?"

"Well, letters. She used to write to me regularly. Hermione too. She was never shy about telling us what trouble she was in. I thought the letters dried up about the time she discovered boys."

"I get the impression that most of the boys are rather intimidated by her."

"Look," said Harry. "I'll help out in any way I can, but you should know I may not be the right person to help. Carmen has been able to wrap me around her little finger since she was nine."

They were quiet for a moment.

"How is her school work?" he asked.

"Exceptional, compared to the other students in her year."

"But is she reaching her potential?"

"Not at all. She started brightly enough, but she soon stopped trying. Now she does the barest minimum."

"What do you think is wrong?"

"Well, at first I thought her intellect was alienating her from her contemporaries. This often happens. You'll remember how unhappy Hermione was until you became friends with her."

"But, you think it's something more?"

"I do, but I'm not sure what. She won't confide in anyone, that I'm aware of."

"I'd like to speak to her. As a friend, not a teacher or anything else. Does she know I'm joining the staff?"

"No one knows," McGonagall said with a smile. "I was hoping you'd suggest that."

"Great," replied Harry ironically with a grin, "now that's three of you that can read me like a book!"

*

Harry walked down to the lake. It was lunchtime and Carmen was sitting on the bench Harry and Ron had conjured for Hermione in their Seventh Year.

She was sitting under a giant golfing umbrella, staring at the raindrops as they splashed into the surface of the water.

"Room for another under there?"

"Harry! You're getting soaked. Come and sit down."

He ducked his head under and sat down next to her.

"How are you?" he asked warmly.

"Fine," she replied automatically. "What are you doing here?"

"I decided I wanted to jump in some puddles. Hogwarts is the only place for that. I hope it rains harder, because there aren't many puddles big enough yet. I may have to just give up and jump in the lake."

Carmen laughed.

It had been years since they had enjoyed one of their sillier conversations.

Seeing Carmen laugh, he realised she wasn't the young witch prodigy he remembered. She was growing up fast.

"How's Hydrus?"

"He's fine. I left him in the dormitory."

"Why?"

"We had another argument. I'm not talking to him."

"That reminds me why I really came here," said Harry.

"What?"

"I came to apologise and to ask you something," he said gently. "I'm sorry I stopped writing to you Carmen. I didn't stop caring, but I just assumed you had better things to do."

Carmen shook her head and said, "No, it was me that stopped writing. I didn't want you to be disappointed in me."

"That will never happen."

"What did you want to ask me? Hermione already wrote and asked me to be one of her bridesmaids."

"Really? I hope you said yes. Actually, no that wasn't it."

"Well?"

"Um, it's a bit delicate."

"What did you do this time?" she asked with a grin.

"Why do you always assume I've done something?" Harry replied indignantly.

Carmen laughed and said, "Okay, tell me you didn't."

Harry laughed and said, "Well, maybe I have got myself into something. Anyway, I need a favour."

"You haven't upset Hermione have you? Because if you did, I'm on her side!"

"No, this is not quite as serious as that would be."

"Oh, you need me to explain another law, then. Okay, do you have a copy of the legislation?"

"No, no. This is something new. Tell me about Professor Agnellina."

"He hates me and I hate him. End of story. I don't think he's a Death Eater though. He hasn't the brains."

"Why do you think he hates you?"

"He's had it in for me ever since my first day. I proved I hadn't broken any school rules but he still punished me. He couldn't argue with any of my points so he just gave me extra punishment. In class, he hated me just because I pointed out all the wrong dates he was using. He's supposed to be a Charms teacher, but he can't actually do anything himself. Every time I showed him how to do things properly, he made an example of me."

"That doesn't sound very fair."

Carmen just shrugged miserably.

"Can I tell you something in confidence?" asked Harry.

"Of course, not that I've got anyone to tell."

"Professor Agnellina has resigned. There will be a new teacher taking over, but you may not like them any more than Professor Agnellina."

"Did you arrest him?" she asked hopefully.

"No, he's done nothing illegal that I'm aware of. Was Agnellina the only teacher you had problems with?"

"He's the only one I've had serious confrontations with, but I don't exactly get on with most of them. Actually, I've never had a problem with Professor McGonagall. She has never punished me for something I didn't deserve, but she never teaches me."

"She was always one of my favourite teachers too," agreed Harry. "So why aren't you and Hydrus talking?"

"I'd rather not say. People don't like me having him around anyway, what with him being so poisonous."

"That can't be the only reason. He's never bitten anybody, has he?"

"Well, he just reminds people about the Prophecy. They act even weirder when he's around."

"He's so small though. Couldn't he curl up inside your robes or up your sleeve?"

"Yes, well we tried that but he couldn't stop nagging me, telling me to go and apologise so I can have it back."

"Get what back?"

"Nothing. I didn't mean to say that. Forget it."

"Carmen, this is me you're talking to. Please tell me."

They heard a carriage travel along the gravel road towards the castle. Harry took hold of the umbrella and lifted it enough so they could watch.

"Who's that, Carmen? Waiting at the entrance."

"Agnellina," she replied bitterly and Harry noticed a concerned look in her eyes.

"Come on," he said getting up. "I'd like to introduce myself before he departs. I didn't realise he was going so quickly."

Harry folded the umbrella and held out his hand to Carmen. She didn't move.

"Please, Carmen, or he'll have gone."

Carmen stood reluctantly but as soon as they moved towards the entrance, the carriage set off towards the gates.

Harry held up his wand and pointed it to a spot just in front of the carriage. The Thestrals halted at once.

They hurried over.

Harry found a bemused looking gentleman sitting in the carriage, clearly wondering why he wasn't moving.

Harry opened the door and smiled.

He extended out his hand and said, "Professor Agnellina, I'm so glad I caught you before you left. My name is Harry Potter."

The man looked at him uncertainly before shaking Harry's hand. The limp handshake did nothing to improve Harry's opinion about him.

"I was hoping you'd have time for a quick word."

"I'm sorry. I don't have time."

"Well, this carriage isn't going anywhere for a while, not until lunch is over anyway," said Harry with a satisfied look at the beef carcass currently being ripped apart by the two Thestrals.

From the look on Agnellina's face, Harry was sure he had no idea what was pulling his carriage.

"I'd be happy to help you with your luggage if you are really in a hurry. Perhaps we could talk along the way?"

Harry opened the door wider, and a rather reluctant Agnellina got out.

"No. If you'll excuse me, I need to find a house elf to summon another carriage."

Harry was beginning to seriously dislike this man, but was reminding himself that Hermione didn't approve of jumping to assumptions about people.

Agnellina gave Carmen a satisfied smile when he noticed her, clearly upset now.

"Give it back, you evil old git!"

Harry had never heard Carmen address anyone like this.

"Give what back, Carmen?"

"My wand. He took my wand."

"Is this true?"

"Yes," Agnellina replied with some pride.

"Well, whatever reason you had for taking it, you don't need it now. Would you please return it?" said Harry coldly, adding in a threatening tone, "Now."

Harry's tolerance had evaporated by that point, but Agnellina remained defiant.

"I confiscated it because this creature has shown no respect since the first day she arrived. It was her choice, I gave her fair warning of the consequences. She was well aware of what would happen if she failed to apologise. The deadline passed and I have received no apology. No apology, no wand."

"Give the wand to me then," suggested Harry.

"Impossible. The wand has been destroyed."

"No," breathed Harry in total disbelief.

Carmen had tears streaming down her face when she launched herself at Agnellina. Before she got two steps though, she screamed in pain.

"Hydrus!" she cried. "He's hurt!"

Carmen turned and staggered up the steps to the entrance doors.

Harry grabbed Agnellina's lapels.

"Did you really destroy her wand?"

"Yes," he replied with a cold smile.

Harry threw him against the carriage side, causing the Thestrals to lurch forward nervously.

Harry took out his wand and waved it lazily across Agnellina's midriff. He immediately collapsed, groaning and clutching his stomach.

Harry lent in and whispered to him, "Nothing too serious, but you'll need a few months worth of corrective surgery. I've just re-plumbed a few of your internal organs. Just so you know, I was with Carmen when her parents bought that wand for her. It was unique. Irreplaceable."

"I'll sue," gasped Agnellina.

"I'm still an active Auror. You can't sue Aurors, but you can challenge me to a duel and get satisfaction that way. Old fashioned, I know. I look forward to hearing from you. You had better leave now, before I arrest you for destroying personal property."

Harry went over to the two Thestrals and released their harnesses.

Patting each of them he said gently, his words calming the beasts, "I'm sorry I gave you a start. I need to get to Carmen, but I'll find you later and apologise properly. Maybe we can go for a fly sometime."

*

Harry rushed into Professor Agnellina's office where he found Carmen being comforted by Professor McGonagall. Carmen was crying unreservedly, cradling a tiny golden snake in her hands.

Hydrus was horribly burnt.

"Winky told me you were here," gasped Harry. "What happened?"

"The snake retrieved Carmen's wand from the fire," said the Professor holding up a slightly charred but otherwise intact wand.

"He was so brave," sobbed Carmen.

Harry knelt and examined the snake closely. He was totally still.

Harry bathed the snake in an ice cold blast of air from his wand tip.

"What are you doing?" asked Carmen. "He's gone."

"No, but he's almost gone," said Harry whipping off his cloak and spreading it on the desk. "Place him on here."

Carmen did so and at the same time Professor McGonagall made to close the office door. There were several curious onlookers now.

"No, please leave the door open," requested Harry. "They can stay. We may need help anyway."

Carmen collapsed onto a chair, sobbing weakly.

"Hydrus," said Harry in Parceltongue, "I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm going to try and ease the pain before we address these burns. You aren't in good shape, my friend. This is going to hurt. Carmen is here."

Harry bathed the snake in another blast of air, much colder this time.

He looked up and pointed at one of the older looking students at the door. "You! Run to the Hospital Wing and bring me some burns ointment. The heavy duty stuff. Bring as much as you can carry."

She ran off immediately.

"You two," he said firmly, addressing two young looking students at the front, "I need two buckets of clean lake water. Can you manage that?"

They both nodded and ran off. Their spaces were quickly filled by others eager to help. There were many now congregating outside the office.

Harry returned to the snake and began performing healing spells. He assumed that conventional spells would work as well as veterinary spells. They were all he knew, anyway.

There was a small commotion outside as the two bucket bearers tried to get through. Professor McGonagall barked orders to keep the corridor clear and they appeared at the door.

They placed the buckets at Harry's feet.

"Thanks. Stand over there," Harry directed. He pointed his wand at one of the buckets and turned it to solid ice. He then flicked his wand and the ice shattered with a loud bang. Ice sprayed around the room but Harry was careful to shield the snake.

"Pick up the ice, will you?" he asked and the two bucket bearers scrambled around the floor collecting the ice and returning it to the bucket.

Harry tipped the ice onto the desk and carefully moved his cloak and the snake on top.

He aimed again at the second bucket. This time the water instantly evaporated and the room was filled with a cool cloud of white mist.

"Sorry, Guys," said Harry. "We need two more buckets of lake water."

They happily obliged and ran back out just as the ointment arrived.

Harry continued to work on the snake for several minutes.

The buckets of water were quickly delivered and more clouds were created.

Eventually, Harry stopped and just waited. He had managed to repair the internal damage and quite a bit of the skin, although he was still badly burned.

As they watched, a tiny forked tongue flicked out and tasted the air.

Harry smiled and pulled out one of the office drawers, dumping its contents on the floor. He then undid the large ointment jars and poured the contents into the timber drawer.

"Okay, Hydrus, I'm about to bathe you in burn ointment. Yes, it smells ghastly and will hurt like hell, but if you want those boyish good looks back you'll need to lie in this stuff for a few days. Ready?"

"Not really," replied the snake in a tiny voice.

Harry just picked him up and dropped him with a plop into the ointment.

Carmen looked up in disbelief.

"Hydrus?"

Harry lifted the drawer up and placed it before her.

"He won't be very good company for a few days, but he'll survive. He must stay in this stuff and he must keep moving at all times. I suggest we take turns to watch over him. He's still in a lot of pain, but we need to keep him on the move."

Harry gave the tiny snake a small prod and then piled more of the liquid over him.

*

Harry woke, feeling someone sit next to him on the couch.

He sleepily opened his eyes.

"Hello, sleepyhead," said Hermione, smiling widely at him.

Harry stretched and sat up. Hermione leaned in and kissed him.

"I got fed up waiting for you," she explained.

"What time is it?" he asked, realising that they were supposed to meet for dinner that evening.

"Rather late, actually," she replied, lifting his arm and settling herself next to him. "Don't worry, I cancelled our table."

"I'm sorry, Hermione," he said. "I just sat down for a moment and must have dozed off."

"No problem."

"Actually, since you're here, you might like to see Carmen. She was upset today."

"I know," Hermione admitted. "I've just come from her. She's sleeping now."

"Is someone watching over Hydrus?"

"Oh, yes. There were plenty of volunteers to help."

"Good. So what do you think about our new apartment?"

"Um," she said looking around, "I hate it."

"We can redecorate."

"This couch is rather nice, though. It looks familiar."

"It should do."

"Harry, you didn't steal this did you?"

"No, of course not! It's been in storage until we had somewhere to put it."

"But where did you get it?"

"This was my prize. Professor McGonagall wouldn't take no for an answer and insisted that I had to accept something. I chose this couch from the Gryffindor common room. I told her it had sentimental value. Don't worry, I gave them another one to replace it."

"Harry, I don't believe you sometimes."

"She said it was the kind of thing Dumbledore would have chosen. I took it as quite a compliment, actually."

"She was right," Hermione whispered, kissing him again.

Hermione suddenly smiled and blushed deeply.

"Oh, at last you remember why I'm sentimental about this couch!"

*

"How long can Hermione stay?" asked Professor McGonagall as they sat together at breakfast in the Great Hall.

"She has to be back Monday morning for a hearing," said Harry, "but she can stay until then."

"Good, that'll give me time to work on her some more."

Harry raised his eyebrows.

"I want her to give some lectures on ethics and law. I know she won't agree to even a part time post, but want to get her involved with the school. If we play our cards right she may be tempted to accept a position."

"Well, I'm sure she would agree to give a few lectures, but she won't teach full time. Not right now anyway."

"That won't stop me trying," McGonagall replied with a smile.

Harry grinned and nodded.

At the Gryffindor table, Hermione finished speaking with Carmen and made her way back to the staff table. She quickly stopped again to say hello to some Seventh Years that Harry didn't recognise, but realised would have just joined the school while they were in their last year.

Carmen, meanwhile, was now chatting animatedly to the group of Gryffindors that remained, the familiar battered desk drawer on the table. They each took it in turns to gently prod the tiny snake to keep it moving.

Hydrus was clearly recovering and kept making escape attempts, but the laughing students kept telling him off and guiding him back into the thick, foul smelling liquid.

"Tell me, Harry," asked Professor McGonagall, "will you publish the account of how you're curing that snake? I understand that burn ointment has never been used to cure reptile burns like that."

"No," replied Harry, "I transfigured the burn ointment the morning after it happened. That stuff just smelly goo."

"But why on earth did you make Carmen continue treating it?"

"Oh, the treatment was for Carmen, not the snake. You see, for once those students didn't see a strange, forbidding intellectual. They saw a frightened, upset little girl who might have lost her closest companion. They saw her vulnerable and in need of some friends.

"They didn't let her down, of course, and she didn't even have to ask. They helped her when she needed help, staying up in shifts round the clock to care for Hydrus. Carmen owes them now. She can start to see them as friends to value, not merely inferiors.

"I must say, though, Hydrus has been rather a good sport in all this. I told him what I was going to do. Unfortunately the liquid is just as pungent to him as it is to us!"

Professor McGonagall frowned at him for a moment, but then her expression relaxed into a smile.

"When can I announce you as Head of Gryffindor House?"

"Um, actually I was hoping you'd agree not to make any announcement until Monday, at the earliest."

"As you wish."

Just then the owls arrived and flew around the Great Hall looking for the recipients of the mail they were carrying.

A large barn owl dropped a scroll on Harry's head and sped off.

He picked it up and, seeing the letter was for himself, opened the scroll.

Harry read quickly and snorted before handing it to Professor McGonagall to read.

"What is it?" she asked.

"My reprimand. Agnellina made an official complaint."

Professor McGonagall read quickly before handing him back the letter.

"Poor Kingsley. He seems rather upset about all the paperwork you caused him. What will happen, do you think?"

"Nothing much. Carmen's wand wasn't actually destroyed, so Agnellina won't get much of a punishment. Unfortunately for him, Hermione will be prosecuting."

"Will you need to attend the hearing?"

"No, but I may be called. Kingsley arrested him, not me."

"Will you still be available to start Monday? I can give you more time if you need to prepare your lessons."

"To be honest, the lesson plans aren't going that well. Those books Agnellina set were totally unsuitable and there's no way I can ask everyone to get new books now. Remus Lupin gave me his old lesson plans, so I thought I'd use those as a basis for now."

*

"I can't believe she just dumped us like that."

"Harry, Carmen had to go and meet with her friends. You can't expect her to want to stay with us. Besides, I know you're glad she's making friends now."

"I just wanted to spend one lunch together before she finds out."

"I know," Hermione said gently. "Actually, I'm rather surprised she hasn't realised you are their replacement teacher yet."

"Well, it is rather absurd, isn't it?"

"You'll be fine, Harry. Well, I'm sure you'll cope, anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Professor McGonagall was telling me all about the chaos Carmen used to cause."

"No, she'll get over that. Agnellina is gone, she and Hydrus are on speaking terms again and she's even making new friends. She's got a fresh start."

"Exactly, Harry. Carmen always caused more mischief when she was happy. Now she'll be directing an army of mischief makers, you just see."

"I hadn't thought of that."

Hermione snorted.

"You probably shouldn't have told her all those tales about Fred and George. She's got quite a standard to aim for."

"You aren't helping much, actually."

"Poor, Harry," she said kissing him warmly.

"Harry. Are you ever going to do this apartment up or will we be sleeping on this couch every night?"