Unofficial Portkey Archive

Journey Home by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Journey Home

jardyn39

Journey Home by Jardyn39

Chapter Eight: Champagne

Harry exited the large plant filled conservatory and made his way back to the kitchen, pausing to place the unopened bottle back into the cooler in the dining room. Harry always brought a bottle, so long as Hermione reminded him in time. Ginny wasn't a great wine drinker, but she was partial to sweet, sparkling wine, so that was what Harry invariably brought. Today, though, he'd brought a bottle of champagne.

Although the house was, apart from the conservatory, a mirror image of their own London house next door, Harry still had to think about where he was in the house.

He found Ginny in the kitchen.

"I'll open the champagne later," he said taking a seat, "Neville's showing Hermione some new plants in the Conservatory."

Ginny snorted and said, "She really shouldn't encourage him. He'll be boring her silly for hours!"

Harry laughed and shook his head.

"No, I think she's genuinely interested actually."

Harry looked around the room. Unlike their old kitchen next door, Neville and Ginny's kitchen wasn't cluttered with a strange mixture of Muggle electric appliances and gadgets. Many of them were hand-me-downs gratefully received from Hermione's parents.

"I can't believe the amount of work they've completed already next door," said Ginny, scraping a variety of cut and washed vegetables into a saucepan and placing it upon the stove.

The four of them had taken a tour of the building site next door a little earlier.

"Yes, they've done well," agreed Harry.

"But we've never heard them, not once! You'd expect a certain amount of noise, wouldn't you? The Muggles on the other side had a bathroom fitted out a few weeks ago and they made an awful racket. Of course, that was usually because they couldn't work out why their power tools kept stopping," she added with a grin.

"Mind you, my vocabulary of colourful language has grown considerably! Shame Neville has no idea what I'm calling him."

Harry doubted that, but said nothing.

One of the side effects of living next to a house that used magic was that quite often, electric powered items tended to become a little unreliable. This wasn't usually that serious, things like clocks and videos resetting themselves tended to be accepted as normal unreliability after a while.

However, Neville and Ginny's home used even more magic than might be considered usual. Harry had installed many magical protections before they moved in, but they had decided not to make the houses Unplottable as well.

These protections were also for Hermione and himself, of course, but the priority at the time had been to protect Neville and Ginny.

One of the reasons they ended up as neighbours sharing each half of a semi-detached house, was that it became much easier to protect the entire building.

"You know?" continued Ginny, still speaking about the elf builders. "The only time I've ever heard them was once when I went out shopping. As I passed your front gate, loads of banging started! It was as if they were waiting for me to go out!"

Harry laughed. They probably were.

"When I came back it was all quiet again, so I Apparated inside from here to speak to them. I only found one elf, the Foreperson I think. He was just worried they'd made too much noise. I told him it was fine if they needed to make a little noise, but we still haven't heard anything."

Harry's mind at that point was on the reason why Neville and Ginny needed so much protection. He was suddenly rather worried whether he and Hermione were doing the right thing about moving away to Hogwarts.

"Ginny, what do you really think about us staying away?"

"Don't be silly, Harry. You can't be tied here just because of us. Anyway, nothing has ever actually happened, has it?"

A loud ding sounded.

"Good, the meat should be ready. Now, as you're here you can help me by making the gravy, and there had better not be any lumps. Remember," she teased, "I like mine thin and Neville likes his gravy thick. It's the only thing we argue over!"

Harry laughed and said, "Apart from my custard, right?"

"That wasn't custard, Harry. The remains of what you made are still in Neville's rock garden!"

Harry smiled and got up.

"Sure. Can I lift the joint out of the oven for you?"

"No, I've got it. Spread that tea towel on the table, though, will you? I don't want to burn the table."

Harry folded the towel and placed it on the edge of the table as Ginny opened the oven and reached in with her oven mittens.

There a delicious smell of roasting meat filled the room and Harry could see the air distort as the hot air rose out of the oven.

Ginny carefully drew out the large basting tin. She adjusted her grip and carefully lifted and turned.

POP!

Harry heard Neville and Hermione's distant cheers coming from the living room.

Ginny started and the roasting tin, contents and oven hot fat flew into the air.

Harry reacted almost instantaneously and the scene, including Ginny was frozen. It was rather fortunate that Harry had developed quite a knack at freezing charms. He couldn't actually stop time, but he could freeze movement for a short while.

He grabbed a spare tea towel and folded it over.

He took hold of the joint tray and positioned it. The tricky thing now was to catch all the hot fat which still had enough kinetic energy to splash back and burn whoever was unfortunate enough to get in the way. In this instance, it would be Ginny.

Harry unfolded the towel he was holding and draped it over the meat and tray. That would catch any flying fat.

He grabbed hold of the towel on the table. There were no others to hand, so the table would just have to get burned.

Instantly, Harry's freezing charm faded and he caught the pan just in time. He quickly dropped the metal tray on the table, his fingers burning from the heat.

Ginny, who had also been frozen but had remained fully aware of what was happening, was released at the same time.

Harry fully expected her to berate him for burning her table, but instead she just collapsed.

Harry quickly knelt and held her arms, fearing at first she'd been hit by something hot that he had not anticipated.

Ginny rose up and Harry realised she was just upset.

Going very red, she muffled her crying against his chest.

"It's okay, Ginny," he said gently. "It was just the champagne being opened, that's all."

Harry became aware that Neville was standing behind Ginny. He gently stroked her back and she turned at once and fell into his arms.

Neville gave him a smile and a small nod. Harry nodded back, turned and left the room, collecting a worried looking Hermione at the kitchen door.

*

Harry and Hermione sat in the living room. They would leave once Neville returned.

"We are changing our plans, aren't we?" whispered Hermione with a smile.

Harry looked up at her and smiled. She hadn't really needed to ask.

He nodded and took hold of her hand.

"Just checking."

After a few minutes Neville entered the room.

"Ginny's resting," he said. "She'll be fine in a bit."

"We'll go, Neville," said Harry not getting up, "but would you mind if we talked about this first."

Neville nodded and sat down opposite them.

"I'm glad you're so quick with freezing charms these days," said Neville, smiling. "Thanks. I wouldn't have been anywhere nearly as quick."

"How long has she been like this?" asked Harry with concern.

"It's been coming on for a while now," Neville admitted sadly.

"I was convinced she was fine though," said Harry.

"Ginny was fine, really she was. She still is, most of the time," said Neville.

He continued more quietly.

"It began when the house elves moved out. Before then, they were constantly popping in to say hello. Hermione was back here most nights and even though you had your Auror duties, Harry, you were around most of the time.

"Then, for a while, Hermione came round most evenings after you'd gone up to Hogwarts, but then neither of you were around very much."

"I feel terrible," said Hermione. "The few nights I've been staying in London, I've been staying at the Leaky Cauldron. I didn't want to be any more trouble."

Neville smiled and shook his head no.

"We both know you only moved in next to us so that you could be here for us if anything happened. I think knowing that meant more to Ginny than we admitted to ourselves."

"I'm sorry, Neville. I feel I've let you down again," said Harry seriously.

"Harry, you weren't responsible for what happened, and you can't be expected to provide us with your personal protection for ever."

Harry sighed deeply.

"I'm going to speak to Dobby tomorrow. I'll ask him to change the plans. We won't be renting next door out. I'll just have House klaxon linked to next door. Then we can stay there. We did originally plan for me to commute up to Hogwarts, after all."

"Please, Harry. We can't ask you to do this."

"You don't have to ask, Neville. This is our decision."

"What if we found somewhere else?"

"Okay, where?"

"Well, I don't know right now."

"Alright," said Harry getting up. "Have a think about it. We'll do the same, but in the absence of any realistic alternative we will move back in next door as soon as we can."

*

Harry had assumed they would Apparate directly to Hogsmeade as usual, but Hermione had clasped his hand just before they Disapparated.

Harry allowed himself to be guided by her and they Apparated into their freshly painted lobby next door.

Harry stepped into the living room, his steps echoing around the rooms as he walked across the bare timber floor boards, but there was still no sign of the house elf builders.

"Harry, I've got an idea. But we'll need to check with Dobby before we can tell Neville or Ginny."

Harry grinned at her.

"Well, let's see how he likes visitors arriving at unsocial hours!"

*

Hermione insisted that they call in at Reception rather than Apparating straight into Dobby's rooms. Harry was sure Dobby wouldn't have minded but he had to agree that they didn't actually know where he was.

Harry looked around the enormous marble clad entrance lobby of the House Elf Co-operative as they joined the end of a short queue in front of the large reception desk.

In front of them one of the young smartly dressed house elves on duty was handing out leaflets to the enquiring elderly gentleman while the other was reprimanding a sheepish looking old lady who had apparently inadvertently broken one of the terms and conditions of the service contract.

"Madam was not authorised to expand her kitchen. Only HECO personnel are permitted to do that in our properties. Apart from trying to get out of making an adjustment to your rents, poor Mrs Troop next door was almost squashed! Now, go and fill in this form and I'll try and sort it out for you."

The old lady took the form and walked over to the wall shelf opposite that was equipped with a variety of inks and quills in neat booths. She was accompanied by a loud, "Tsk," from the house elf.

There was one more person in front of them now and Harry was rather hoping the friendlier elf would finish with her customer.

Unfortunately for the man in front of them, as soon as she saw Hermione the house elf gave a shriek of delight, and jumped over the desk and launched herself into the arms of Hermione.

"Miss Hermione! Welcome!"

"Thank you, Daisy," Hermione replied grinning, "it's wonderful to see you again!"

"But Miss Hermione and Mr Harry should not have waited!"

"We'll wait our turn."

The house elf turned to scowl at the poor man in front. How dare he remain in this queue! Fortunately the other elf finished and he hurried over to get served.

"There!" shouted the house elf jumping down and skirting around the desk and back onto her chair.

"Welcome to the House Elf Co-operative headquarters," she squeaked with obvious delight. "How may I be of service?"

"We'd like to make an appointment to see Dobby, at his earliest convenience."

At once she scribbled a note and pushed it down an open ended tube protruding for the desk.

"Dobby is in a meeting with some very important clients right now," she advised seriously. "He left instructions not to be disturbed."

"That's no problem," said Hermione smiling. "We can come back when it's convenient."

There was a peculiar gurgling noise and a note flew out of the end of the pipe.

She unfolded the paper and nodded.

"Dobby is right in the middle of negotiating new rents. He asks if you would go up to his private office and apologises if he has to keep you waiting."

"Thank you, Daisy," said Hermione warmly. She leaned in and whispered, "You're doing a great job!"

The house elf beamed back at her.

Harry was about to ask the way but Hermione took Harry's arm and walked him over to the lifts. The central lift doors opened at once.

The house elf lift attendant saluted them and bowed them inside.

*

They exited into a large lobby.

"Dobby's office is on the right," Hermione whispered. "The boardroom is on the left and ahead are the meeting rooms."

They were about to knock and enter Dobby's office when the pair of doors to the meeting rooms opened and out stepped two familiar faces.

"I can't believe he just threw us out!" said Fred angrily.

"I can," said George with a grin at Harry.

Fred groaned but stepped forward and shook Harry's hand with a smile.

"I hope you realise how much your profits are going to suffer if Dobby gets his way," said George, kissing Hermione on the cheek.

"It's been ages," said Fred as he greeted Hermione while Harry shook George's hand.

"So, partner," George said pointedly, "since you were kind enough to interrupt our negotiations, how about getting Dobby to cut us some slack?"

"You know I leave all those kind of negotiations to you two," said Harry with a laugh.

Harry wasn't too worried for Fred and George. For some time now, he'd split his considerable earnings from their venture equally between reinvesting in the twins' schemes and donations to the SPEW organisations.

Fred and George grumbled loudly until their lift arrived.

Hermione and Harry watched the lift doors close behind the twins. At that moment a door opened and Dobby greeted them.

"Harry Potter and Miss Hermione are most welcome!"

"Thank you, Dobby," they both said and entered.

"We're really sorry for interrupting your meeting, Dobby," said Harry.

"No trouble at all," said Dobby with a smile. "They needed time to see the reasonableness of our offer. The increase is only to the service charge, not the basic rent anyway."

"These offices are really impressive," said Harry. "I had no idea."

"Well, the entrance lobby is a recent addition."

"It must have cost quite a bit. Is that in keeping with a not-for-profit organisation?"

"All the materials were reclaimed and we used the project to re-train craft-elves. That is why it took longer than anticipated, but the funding came from donations for training."

Harry nodded and smiled.

"Well, your craft-elves certainly do a good job," he admitted. "We were round at the house this morning and they've done wonders."

"I trust everything was satisfactory?"

"It was, Dobby, but we need to ask for a few changes. We were round visiting Ginny and Neville today, and we need to change our plans. We won't be renting the property out."

"Did something happen?"

"It was my fault, Dobby. I forgot why we moved next to each other in the first place, that's all."

"Dobby knows they were in no danger, Sir," admitted the elf sheepishly. "Dobby took the liberty of posting watch-elves whenever you were out of the house. They were protected night and day."

"I had no idea, but thank you, Dobby," said Harry warmly.

"There is no chance of them agreeing to move closer to Hogwarts, and nowhere else has the same degree of protective wards right now," said Hermione.

"Yes," agreed Harry. "It's a pity Grimmauld Place was destroyed."

"We were trying to think of our options, Dobby," said Hermione. "We've told Ginny and Neville that we would move back and Harry would commute up to Hogwarts every day."

Dobby nodded.

"What with Harry's Head of House duties, it isn't always that convenient."

Although Harry still hated travelling by Floo Powder, and the prospect of twice daily bouts of dizziness hardly appealed, he didn't mind that much. After all he could always Apparate into Hogsmeade as well sometimes, although long distance Apparition was always very draining.

Harry was about to protest when he noticed that, for briefest of moments, Hermione and Dobby were exchanging a meaningful look. It was as if Hermione was reminding Dobby about something unspoken.

"I was wondering," continued Hermione lightly, "if the co-operative wouldn't mind taking over the house again. Perhaps as a refuge as it was before. Anything, so long as Ginny and Neville were kept safe."

"We'd pay for any adaptations of course, as well as whatever you want to charge for the work you've done already," added Harry.

"We have a board meeting tomorrow," advised Dobby. "Dobby will recommend that we accept your kind invitation to move back to the property."

"Thank you, Dobby," said Harry. "We really appreciate this. Would it be possible for us to keep the small room as before?"

"Dobby, please make sure all of the craft-elves who worked on the building so far know we are very pleased with their work. These changes have nothing to do with their efforts," said Hermione seriously.

They ended their visit with a tour of the co-operative's meeting rooms and grand boardroom, complete with its giant oval shaped low table and tiny chairs.

*

Harry and Hermione decided to walk back to The Leaky Cauldron.

"It was good of Dobby to make sure Ginny and Neville were alright, wasn't it?"

"It was," agreed Hermione, "but we need to find a more permanent solution. The problem isn't just keeping them safe anymore, is it?"

"No, they need to feel safe."

"Ginny told me a while ago they were trying for a baby, but it's little wonder they haven't been blessed if she's feeling so much stress."

"I didn't even know they were trying," admitted Harry.

They stopped for a moment outside one of the closed shops and looked absently into the window.

"Does Ginny ever talk about what happened?" asked Harry quietly.

"No, and I've never asked."

Harry looked up and down the deserted street.

"Let's go home," he said gently.