Unofficial Portkey Archive

Journey Home by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Journey Home

jardyn39

Journey Home by Jardyn39

Chapter Two: The Committee Room

About eighteen months later…

Auror Harry Potter stood next to Hermione to listen as Minister Weasley made his final speech to the assembled dignitaries, press and Ministry staff. The Ministry entrance hall was crowded with well-wishers.

Harry had already heard much of this speech. He had been present a few nights ago while Mr Weasley practised and Hermione gave her critical review, as they had done for every speech preceding a major policy review. Harry knew they hadn't really needed to do so for this final speech, but it was a good excuse for the tight knit private office staff to meet for one last time.

Hermione smiled with pride at the house elf and goblin representatives as Mr Weasley paid tribute to them. Even the centaurs had sent a goodwill message, although there was no goodwill expressed towards the new administration.

In the eighteen months of his leadership, the wizarding world had never seen so many legislative changes. It was therefore quite remarkable that Mr Weasley had maintained such a high degree of popularity, particularly in the Press. Unfortunately, it had been Hermione who bore the brunt of both public and private criticism.

Mr Weasley had been right to be concerned about Hermione's safety. Her legislation on equal rights had brought many threats and unfortunately a few attempts to harm her, all of which were thwarted.

Even their severest critics were forced to admit that their approach had been effective. The key had been Hermione's discovery of long forgotten laws that she argued actually promoted equality. Once the Wizengamot recognised this argument, the well established but slightly newer laws for the regulation and control of magical creatures were repealed and replaced.

Because Mr Weasley was handing over to his successor, Hermione had insisted on resigning from her own position. Although this came as a surprise to many people, Harry knew she wanted to dedicate some time to other things.

The incoming Minister, unfortunately, was suspected to be less sympathetic to the cause. Hermione hoped that they would leave enough in place to prevent their good work being undone. Harry knew she was worried, although he himself was quite optimistic. The house elves, centaurs and goblins were now much better placed to take care of themselves.

There were still problems, it was true. The centaurs were still utterly disdainful of wizard-kind and many house elves feared freedom.

Harry knew that Hermione couldn't just stop her campaign.

He was, however, more than a little disappointed to discover that very morning, that Hermione had accepted places on no less than three influential committees. He had been hoping she would take a break for a while.

Harry looked around, wondering if David Royce was present. He didn't really expect to see him, as he still hated crowds. Mr Weasley had even presented his Order of Merlin, Third Class, in private after the Wizengamot trials were over. Harry had felt strongly that he deserved a higher reward, especially given how successful he'd been at protecting Hermione, having been persuaded to stay on for the entire period that Mr Weasley had been Minister.

He'd joked to Harry that it was because he couldn't face the prospect of Harry doing the filing, but Harry knew better. They had spoken recently on the pretext of discussing what they should do with the previous Minister's old desk. Having been ripped in two, it had remained a potent reminder of what can happen when people mess with Hermione's clerks. In the end they reduced it down and fixed it to a small polished timber base. Royce presented it to a delighted Hermione to use as a paperweight.

Harry and Hermione clapped as Mr Weasley finished his speech and stepped back to join Molly, who was looking on proudly. As the new Minister began his acceptance speech, Hermione pulled Harry away.

"David told me he wanted to leave again yesterday," she began quietly weaving towards to the rear of the assembled crowd. "He's not too happy with me right now. I asked him to stay on and help."

"Well, if it's what he wants," said Harry, handing her a drink from the buffet table. "Besides, if you need any help I'll be here for you."

"That's just the point, Harry," she said.

"I don't understand."

Hermione sighed and dragged Harry towards one of the new committee rooms.

Harry smiled to himself as he did every time he passed the remains of the Fountain of Magical Brethren.

The fountain had actually been restored several times since Harry first saw it being destroyed by Dumbledore and Voldemort. Given the gross misrepresentation the statues expressed, even Hermione had no objection to Harry destroying it every time he visited the Ministry and happened to be in a bad mood. Needless to say, the maintenance department soon gave up and now the plain stone plinth stood empty.

There had been a popular suggestion that a statue of Arthur Weasley should be erected there. Unfortunately, although his twin sons had offered to sponsor the new fountain, Arthur refused to approve any of the places they proposed the water should spout from.

Hermione closed the door behind them and the chatter from outside disappeared. The large room was sumptuously furnished with circular rows of spectator seating facing the committee desks. These were of various sizes to suit the new committee membership. The plush dark coloured carpet gave the whole room a quiet feel.

Harry remembered the first time Hermione stood to speak in this very room. She had been so nervous, despite all the friends that came to support her. Her transformation into a confident and formidable advocate happened almost instantly in front of his eyes. Harry knew he'd found a natural confidence and skill the first time he'd flown.

This place was her sky, and here it was that she learned she could fly.

Many times since then, Harry had witnessed respected wizards and witches close to tears under Hermione's grilling.

"That's better," she said smiling and placing her glass down on a table as she fumbled inside her robes.

"The thing is, Harry, I really wanted David to carry on," she said, trying to find something in her pockets. "I don't want you to do it," she added absently.

"What?" said Harry, completely horrified.

"It wouldn't be appropriate," she said. "Ah, here it is! I was afraid I'd lost it. I've been carrying this thing around like an idiot for ages."

Hermione looked up smiling but her smile faltered seeing Harry's expression.

"What's the matter, Harry?" she asked with concern.

"Why don't you want me?"

Hermione just rolled her eyes and said, "Sit down, Harry. Stop looking so worried."

He sat as ordered.

"This is not how I'd planned this at all," she said smiling and picking up her glass again. She took a quick sip and sat down next to Harry.

"I don't know if you've heard, but I've been offered places on a couple of committees."

"Yes," Harry said miserably. "Three isn't it?"

"Four," she corrected him, "but I'm only accepting two. Well, two and a bit."

"How can you be on a bit of a committee?"

"Um, it's not a committee," she admitted. "I've been offered a very junior place on the Wizengamot."

Harry tried to congratulate her, but something inside wouldn't let him.

"Are you terribly disappointed with me?"

"You? Never," he said warmly, taking hold of her hand. "I was hoping you'd take a break, though."

"How long for?"

"Not long," he said, "Two or three years maybe? You must be owed that much in holiday time alone!"

Hermione laughed and said, "Are you sure that's long enough?"

Harry shrugged.

"Well, to be honest, you may get your wish unless David agrees to continue as my assistant. He's the only one that can cope with all the paperwork. The fact that most people are still terrified of him also helps."

"Do you think you'll still have trouble?"

"Not like it was," she answered. "There'll always be those that refuse to acknowledge equal rights though."

Harry nodded.

"Actually," said Hermione, "I was hoping we could talk about your plans, not mine."

"Why?"

"Are you planning on staying with the Auror Department?"

"I suppose so. David reminded me the other day that I told him ages ago that I wanted to do something worthwhile and that Auror training was just something to do while I decided."

"What do you want, Harry?"

"The same thing as I've always wanted," he said honestly.

"And how far away is it?"

"Further than ever," he said miserably before he could stop himself.

"You know? I got more sense out of you when you were in hospital."

"Sorry?"

"Just after the battle, Harry. You were delirious for days. You said some very interesting things when you weren't babbling nonsense."

"Really?"

"Mm," said Hermione with a smile.

"So when do you start on your new committees?"

"Harry, stop trying to change the subject. Tell me honestly, do you still want to be an Auror?"

"It's the only thing I'm good at."

"Yes, Harry, you are good at it," she agreed gently. "David's quite good at hurting people too, but he refuses to make a career out of it. What do you like best about the job?"

"Training," he said at once. "I mean, training others. It was the same when we were doing the DA at school."

Hermione smiled.

"Why don't you consider a teaching post?"

"I did make some enquiries," he admitted. "Nothing was available."

"Nothing?"

"No, the Ministry has a full compliment of trainers now and no-one's coming up for retirement soon."

Hermione looked at him incredulously, and her eyes then fell down to the small felt bag she still held in her hands.

"What is it, Hermione?"

"Harry, Hogwarts has been desperate for good teachers for ages. Every time I speak to Minerva she pleads with me to persuade you to go back. I've known she offered you a post for ages."

Harry smiled and shook his head. "She just did that to be nice."

"Harry, are you seriously suggesting that Professor McGonagall would expose sub-standard teaching to her students just because she wanted to be nice? Why didn't you accept?"

Harry sighed heavily.

"I suppose, part of it was that I didn't think I was good enough."

"Good enough? You must have forgotten Lockhart and Umbridge!"

"Or remembered Flitwick, Dumbledore, Lupin-"

She stopped seeing the hurt on Harry's face. They were quiet for a moment.

"I need to ask you to promise me something," said Hermione.

"Sure, anything," said Harry at once.

"I want you to get a temporary teaching position at Hogwarts, just for a short while."

"I'm sorry, Hermione. I can't do that."

"Why?"

"Just because," he said looking down.

"Well, that's a shame," said Hermione gently. "Because that would be a decision we'd both regret."

"What do you mean?"

Hermione drew in a deep breath.

"Okay, would you like to know what I was going to tell you, had you agreed?"

"Um, sure, I suppose."

Hermione held up the felt bag and holding it at the bottom allowed a small black box to tumble out onto her other palm.

"This, Harry, was to be your birthday gift. That is, the gift you were going to give to me."

"Really?" he asked smiling. "Did I get a receipt?"

Hermione handed him the small box.

"I take it this is something you wanted?"

"Oh, yes. For ages."

Harry couldn't think what to say, so he just offered it back saying, "Happy Birthday."

Hermione's eyes narrowed dangerously, and he immediately withdrew his hand.

"Um, what were you going to tell me and why can't you accept this unless I take a job at Hogwarts?"

"Yes, it'll be good for you."

Harry frowned, trying to understand her answer.

"Hermione, that made no sense. You can't really expect me to take any job that will take me away from you, can you?"

Hermione made an exasperated groan and grabbed the box from his hands.

"Honestly, Harry! You might at least have looked to see what was in the box."

"I'm sorry, Hermione," he said, looking down.

Hermione stood and said angrily, "I've had enough of this."

"Hermione?"

For a moment Harry was convinced she was just going to storm out of the room. She took two quick steps away, with her back towards him and then turned back towards him.

Slowly she moved towards him, placed the box in a side pocket and offered both her hands out to him. He reached out and took each hand in his.

Hermione grabbed hold and dropped down, holding both his hands above his lap.

"Harry, I know it hasn't been easy for you lately," she said looking up into his eyes. "I can't tell you how grateful I've been for your love and support for all these months. You know how important it was for me to complete everything before Arthur finished. You've been so patient with me.

"I've been so looking forward this time. You know?

"I know you haven't been happy being an Auror, and I also know how happy teaching makes you. I just wanted you to settle into a career that will make you happy. I couldn't see a future for us without that."

Harry closed his eyes and sighed, knowing his world was about to collapse.

"Oh, no," Hermione said tearfully, "You don't get off that easily."

She reached into her pocket and brought out a handkerchief. It bore a "HP" monogram. Blowing her nose, she stuffed it back in her pocket.

She cleared her throat and asked clearly, "Harry Potter, will you marry me?"

Harry just stared at her in stunned silence.

"Well?" she prompted impatiently.

"I thought you were going to," he began. Then he smiled and said, "Yes, Hermione."

Harry broke their kiss eventually and asked, "So aren't you supposed to give a ring when you propose? Where's mine then?"

Hermione slapped him on the arm but dived into her pocket for the small black box which she opened to reveal a gold engagement ring with a simple three stone setting. Harry knew at once, if he had to choose a ring for Hermione, this would have been the one.

Harry gently picked the ring out of his box and smiling said, "You'll have to get it re-sized. It's a bit small for my fingers."

Hermione ignored him and held her hand up. He slid the ring onto her finger and kissed her gently.

"Um, Hermione, this is great and everything," said Harry cautiously, "but why did we have to be in a Ministry committee room to have this conversation?"

"I don't actually have an office any more, Mum always takes your side when I have a go at you at home, your place is unsuitable and-"

"What's wrong with my room?" he asked smiling. "You've practically been living there for months, not that I'm complaining."

"I was going to say, we never seem to talk much there, do we? Anyway, Harry, you've given over the entire house to your tenants. I should say guests, of course, since you don't charge them any rent. How long have you been confined to the smallest room in the house?"

"It's only small because a certain person dumped all her books in there this morning."

"Oh, sorry. I meant to tell you they would be arriving. Did they all fit in?"

"Just about, although I've warned Ginny and Neville to listen out for the floor collapsing."

"Why tell them? They live next door!"

"Well, there's no-one else to tell. The House Elf Refuge has found new premises. They moved out this morning, not that I blame them judging from the way the ceiling was sagging."

"Where will they stay?" asked Hermione with concern.

"In their new place. Gringotts confirmed the sale a while ago but the building alteration works have only just been completed."

"They've bought somewhere?"

"The official opening will be next month. They're even asking some busy-body to declare it open."

"How did they afford it?"

"Well they pooled their compensation payments and some of their new earnings into a co-operative venture."

"They didn't need to get into debt then?"

"Well, there was a cash shortfall," he admitted. "But the goblins invested quite a bit when they found out the rental income the elves could earn. They didn't need any loans from the bank."

"Where is the property and why didn't the Ministry know?"

"Well, as free individuals they were free to enjoy privacy same as everyone else."

Hermione smiled tearfully.

"They now own a sizeable chunk of Diagon Ally, although the existing tenants and leaseholders don't know who the new freeholders are yet."

"How do you know so much about it?"

"Well, most of the plotting was done in my kitchen," Harry admitted. "I also advanced them the legal costs and set things up so the sellers didn't know who they were really dealing with. It was important to keep things quiet."

"Well, that's understandable," said Hermione. "I do wish you'd felt you could confide in me, though."

"Of course I could, but it wasn't my secret to tell. Besides, they wanted to keep it as a surprise for you."

Harry reached into his robes and drew out a large sealed envelope, and said, "Here. I was supposed to give this to you after Arthur's speech."

Hermione took the envelope with trembling hands. Harry knew it contained a long letter thanking her for everything she had done and inviting her to officially open the new elf refuge. He knew it represented far more. Hermione held in her hands proof, if any were required, that the house elves were asserting the independence she and Arthur had given them.

Tears were forming in Hermione's eyes. Harry wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close.

"How much did it cost you?" she whispered.

"We can afford it," he replied softly, "and it was worth every Knut."

There was a soft knock and one leaf of the entrance doors opened just enough for Arthur Weasley to squeeze through. It sounded like there was a crowd of people outside and he shut the door immediately, obviously keen to keep them out.

Harry and Hermione turned and smiled seeing him but remained in each other's arms.

"I'm so sorry," Arthur said walking up to them. "I didn't want to disturb you, but Molly and I are about to leave. I hope we will see you later for my surprise party?"

They both nodded.

"Ah, I see you've got your invitation," he said seeing the envelope still clutched in Hermione's hand. "Isn't it wonderful? I had no idea!"

Hermione nodded and smiled, too emotional to speak.

"Um," said Arthur, reaching into his robes. "Do we still need this?"

He held up a small scroll of parchment.

"I'm afraid we do," said Hermione thickly.

Arthur smiled and nodded. He placed the scroll on a nearby table and said gently, "We'll see you later," before turning and leaving. They heard the noise of the crowd momentarily as the door was opened and closed but Harry was watching Hermione intently.

Hermione reached into one of Harry's pockets and brought out the spare handkerchief he always carried for her. She wiped her eyes and said, "I'm feeling a little guilty about what's in that scroll, Harry."

"Why? What does it say?"

"Well you know I wanted you to take another job? That scroll is probably Arthur's last ministerial order. The Auror Department has a new assignment for you. They want to send you somewhere."

"Have you ever used your influence to change my assignments before?"

"No, of course not."

"So, what's changed now?"

"I was afraid you might not come back."

"Hermione," Harry said gently, "being an Auror is dangerous sometimes. There is no way that I'd avoid an assignment by changing jobs. If something happened to someone else I could never live with myself."

"So, even if this order is scary and may take you a long way from me, you'd carry it out?"

"Yes," he whispered.

Hermione sighed deeply and said, "I knew you would say that. We will be able to go to the Burrow for this evening but you should probably read that scroll now. You'll be too busy in a few days, but hopefully we can spend some time together. You may find Apparating home inconvenient."

Harry didn't move.

"I love you, Hermione."

She reached up and kissed him.

"I'm going to freshen up," said Hermione. "I'll meet you in the foyer and we can Floo straight to the Burrow. Mum and Dad are joining us there."

Harry watched until the door closed behind her. He then walked over and picked up the scroll. He took out his wand and unsealed it.

He unrolled the scroll and read the concise order.

*

*

AUROR DIVISION REASSIGNMENT

Orders likely to place an Auror at risk in the line of duty must be approved and countersigned by the Minister of Magic.

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTER OF MAGIC

Auror Harry James Potter is hereby transferred from the Auror Department and with immediate effect shall join the staff of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where he will teach Defence Against the Dark Arts until such time as the Head Teacher is able or willing to provide a replacement teacher.

Full Auror status to be retained until further notice.

Signed

Arthur Weasley

Acting Minister of Magic

*

"Sneaky so-and-so," he whispered to the empty committee room before screwing the parchment up and heading for the door with a wry smile on his face.