Unofficial Portkey Archive

Caught by dragonsangel68
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Caught

dragonsangel68

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling, I just like to play with them a little.

CHAPTER SEVEN

WEDDING PLANS

The Weasley family arrived at Malfoy Manor promptly at nine o'clock in the morning, as arranged the previous afternoon. They had received a Floo call from Lucius Malfoy himself late in the day, requesting that the meeting be held at the Manor, and that the two Weasley women accompany the men - even though this went against tradition in these circumstances. Arthur, of course, questioned the Malfoy elder's motives, and was swiftly reminded that this whole marriage debacle had been his idea. It was only after Lucius reluctantly admitted it was at Narcissa's insistence that the arrangements be changed, that Arthur agreed, if somewhat still apprehensively.

A house elf admitted them to the grand foyer of the manor, and instructed them to wait where they were for the time being, before scampering away. It was not long before Lucius swept down the staircase, with a grace usually reserved for women of high class.

"Weasley."

Arthur stepped forward. "Malfoy."

"My wife has requested that we first stop by the drawing room, she would like to meet you. After we have dispensed with the formalities, I suggest the gentlemen retire to my study for discussions."

"Of course," Arthur replied tersely.

"Good, if you would follow me."

Lucius led them toward the southern end of the grand house. He was smugly aware that they were gaping at his lavish home quite openly. The fact that the Weasley house could have fit comfortably into the foyer of Malfoy Manor was not lost on its Lord and master.

Lucius paused in the doorway, and cleared his throat lightly to obtain Narcissa's attention, before entering the tastefully decorated room. With precision born of years of training, he moved to stand beside his beautiful wife. Lucius scowled in irritation, as he observed the expressions of awe on the redheaded visitors faces - it was as if they had never seen wealth before. Smirking, he mused, they probably haven't given the state of their… home.

Narcissa stood beside Lucius, her chin tilted in arrogant regard at her very distant cousin and his homely wife. She had formed her plan the evening before and now, seeing the woman standing in front of her, doubted that it would be difficult to effect. Lucius would pay for his indiscretions, and pay dearly.

"Narcissa, allow me introduce you to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley."

"How… delightful to meet you both," Narcissa intoned with false sincerity.

"You have a beautiful home," Molly complimented her flatly, just as insincerely.

Smiling coldly Narcissa replied, "Thank you - it is, of course, Lucius' ancestral home."

"Mrs. Malfoy." Arthur dipped his head ever so slightly in greeting.

"Mr. Weasley."

"Well, I suggest we move along to the study. Draco is waiting for us there." Lucius motioned to leave the room.

At the mention of Draco's name, Ginny's head snapped up, and she looked expectantly at the Malfoy patriarch who returned her gaze with a patronizing smirk before leading Arthur from the room.

"And you must be, Ginevra." Narcissa glided toward her. "It's so lovely to meet you, my dear."

"Mrs. Malfoy, I… that is…."

"It's quite all right, dear - come sit down and we'll take some tea."

Narcissa led the two red haired witches to a small table surrounded by three brocade chairs. When they were all seated, Narcissa poured the tea in a genteel manner, indicative of her aristocratic upbringing.

"Well, we certainly have a lot of arrangements to discuss," Narcissa started. "I took the liberty of organizing the reception already - of course we can change anything that you are not pleased with…"

Molly looked at the blonde witch with undisguised shock. "I was under the impression that the men were to deal with the wedding arrangements."

"Oh, what do men know about weddings?" Narcissa scoffed.

"Exactly what have you arranged?" Molly demanded harshly.

With a light sigh, Narcissa responded, "I have arranged the caterers, flowers, musicians…"

"What right do you have to make such decisions?" Molly shrieked indignantly.

Narcissa sat up perfectly straight, and pinned Molly with a superior gaze. "Need I remind you that I am the mother of the groom, and as such I wish to see the children married in a manner befitting their station, well, Draco's at least." The pointed barb was accompanied with a disdainful sniff and a half-smirk from Narcissa.

"Need I remind you that as the mother of the groom you would traditionally keep your nose out of the wedding preparations, and simply turn up when you are told," Molly responded haughtily.

Taking a deep breath and willing herself not to rise to the bait, Narcissa responded evenly, "I have a great deal of experience organizing charity balls and the like, and as we have such limited time to make the necessary arrangements. I felt it prudent to make a substantial contribution."

"Oh yes, you make all the arrangements with no regard as to how we are going to pay for them," Molly snarled.

"I never said you had to pay, in fact I insist that you allow us to pay for the entire affair."

Molly's eyes widened in astonishment, before responding disdainfully. "We can afford to give our daughter a wedding."

"I did not imply otherwise, but I would like to give my son the society wedding he deserves, and you cannot afford that," Narcissa replied, her tone one of undisguised patronization.

"So it doesn't matter what we want for Ginny, so long as you get exactly what you want for Draco?"

"Quite the contrary, I believe I have already indicated that anything you are not happy with can be altered."

"What if we want a quiet family wedding at home - our home?" Molly challenged.

"Is that really what you want? Would you not rather see your daughter married in a beautiful ceremony, followed by a wonderful reception - a dream wedding?"

"Your definition of `a dream wedding' is more likely my nightmare," Molly sniffed.

"It is not your wedding, Mrs. Weasley," Narcissa sniped.

"Neither is it yours, Mrs. Malfoy," Molly retorted.

"In that case, I suggest we ask Ginevra what it is that she wants."

"Very well, Ginny what type of wedding would you prefer?"

"I… don't really … umm…" Ginny stammered. She had been quite happy to maintain her silence.

"Now come along, dear, you certainly weren't this inhibited when you were with my son yesterday, so there is no reason to be shy with me now," Narcissa chided.

Ginny flushed a red so deep that it made her hair appear dull. The none-too-subtle implication from Narcissa was not lost on the young witch, and she sat staring at her hands where they were clasped in her lap, wishing that the ground would just open up and swallow her.

Molly glared harshly at Narcissa, before turning her attention to her daughter. "Ginny, what do you want?"

"I don't care," she replied in barely a whisper.

Narcissa snorted in an unladylike manner. "Surely you have an opinion of what type of wedding you would like?"

"I don't care - I don't want any of this, no one bothered to ask me if I even wanted to get married!" Ginny blurted, her apprehensions rising to the surface and shoving aside any reticence she may have had about such an outburst in front of Draco's mother.

"That, apparently, is irrelevant. Your father is insisting on this union, and there is little anyone can do about it … Now what type of wedding would you prefer?" Narcissa's harsh words slammed into her like Bludgers.

"I don't care," muttered the young witch rebelliously.

"How can you not care? Surely you had a childhood dream of what your wedding would be like?" Narcissa huffed impatiently.

"Yes."

"Well … did it include a grand ballroom… a beautiful gown… a handsome groom…?" Narcissa enquired.

"Something like that," Ginny admitted.

Smirking triumphantly, Narcissa announced, "Good then it's settled - we'll go ahead with the arrangements I have made."

"Ginny didn't agree to go ahead with anything," Molly interjected quickly.

"I can offer her everything she dreamed of as a child! What is it you can offer her?"

"A loving family."

"Hardly useful given the circumstances," Narcissa snorted.

"Perhaps not, but important nonetheless."

"It's what Ginevra thinks that is of importance, not you."

"Mum, it's all right, we'll just go ahead with Mrs. Malfoy's plans - it'll save you and Dad a lot of money," Ginny spoke up, eager to prevent the uneasy banter between the two older women from escalating into a potentially dangerous situation.

"Only if that's what you want Ginny. Your father and I can manage to give you a proper wedding."

"No, it's all right, Mum. We don't have much time and…"

"Wonderful," Narcissa exclaimed. "Now, dear, you simply must tell me all about your dress."

"Oh… umm… I don't…" Ginny stammered, how was she to tell this vision of perfection that she didn't yet have a dress for the wedding ceremony?

"You do have a dress arranged, don't you?" Narcissa questioned callously. "The ceremony is tomorrow!"

"No, she doesn't. As yet, we've been unable to see to Ginny's wardrobe," Molly interjected sharply.

"Oh dear, I see, well that's the first thing we will have to attend to. If you'll excuse me for a moment, I will Floo my designer and have some samples brought over for your approval."

Molly's face hardened. "That's not necessary."

"Oh it's quite all right. Why trudge all over Diagon Alley, when we can have the finest robes available brought to us instead?" Narcissa said lightly, as she rose from her chair and swept from the room, leaving Molly and Ginny alone for the time being.

"Mum, even if they pay for everything else, we can't afford to use her designer," Ginny half whispered.

"Don't worry, dear, we'll just reject everything they bring with them," Molly replied evenly.

"When are we going to have time to look for wedding robes?" Ginny asked, concern etching her tone.

"We'll get out of here as soon as we can. I can't imagine your father wanting to spend much time in the company of Lucius Malfoy," her mother replied, patting her hand.

It wasn't long before Narcissa drifted back into the room.

"Well, everyone will be arriving soon. Isn't that splendid?" Narcissa announced.

"Everyone?" Ginny choked.

"Oh yes, dear. My designer and his staff, plus I took the liberty of contacting my stylist - fortunately he's available tomorrow, and then, of course, there are the invitations, well I've taken care of my list… Dear me we do have a lot to achieve today."

"But…" Ginny's voice failed her.

"Is there something wrong, dear?" Narcissa's encouraging smile was in no way indulgent, and Ginny was reluctant to continue.

"But the wedding is tomorrow… how can we invite people?" Ginny spluttered.

"How can we not invite people dear? After all, this will be the `wedding of the year'," Narcissa replied.

"The wedding of the year?" Molly repeated incredulously.

"Of course! Draco is the Malfoy heir and will someday inherit a great deal of wealth! Not to mention the fact that he is the sole remaining wizard on my side of the family - well, let's just say he is quite a catch. Of course, all of that is quite apart from his physical attributes," Narcissa told them proudly. "I trust you do realize how lucky you are, dear?"

"I… umm…" Ginny was unable to form a suitable response to such a statement - `lucky' wasn't the word she would have used.

"Now the guest list - you did bring yours?" Narcissa's look of askance was directed at Molly.

Pinning Narcissa with a hard look, Molly asked, "What are you playing at?"

"I'm sorry, playing?" the blonde witch feigned innocence.

"I hardly think that it would have escaped your attention that this marriage is being forced by circumstance, it's not a union of love," Molly reminded her spitefully.

"That is no reason not to have a proper wedding with all the superfluities," Narcissa responded snootily.

"All these… trimmings are hardly necessary."

"Oh dear, it would appear that you've misunderstood me, please allow me to explain."

Molly inclined her head, indicating that the other woman should continue.

"I would like to see my son married in a proper way with a decent celebration, despite the disgrace this event has brought to the family. Please do not feel as though you have to hold back. We have no budget." Narcissa willed her voice to remain even.

"You seem to be taking this rather… calmly."

"Well there is little that can be gained from ranting. It's best if we just get on with the preparations."

"You were not shocked at the announcement?"

"Of course I was, but if my husband refused to endeavor to extricate our son from this mess, then the least he can do is pay for a proper celebration," Narcissa replied stiffly.

"I see, so all this is simply revenge on your husband for not rescuing your son from being permanently bound to my daughter?" Molly asked maliciously.

"No I…"

"What is it, Mrs. Malfoy, if you are not exacting revenge for Draco's sake?" Molly demanded.

"I simply wish to see my son married in a proper ceremony, with an acceptable reception - I see no fault with that!" Narcissa exclaimed.

Molly eyed the other witch suspiciously. "No, there's no fault with your reasoning, so long as it's the truth."

"Of course, it's the truth. What are you implying?"

"It seems to me that you have an ulterior motive."

"Oh this is ridiculous! I simply wish the children have a respectable wedding… by my standards," Narcissa replied.

"Very well - shall we move on then?" Molly conceded abruptly.

"Good, yes now, the guest list," Narcissa announced, as she passed Molly a quill and parchment.

Accepting the proffered stationery, Molly began to list the names of family and friends that should be advised of the wedding in the very least. By the time she had finished, a house elf had shown a troupe of people into the drawing room.

The couturiers immediately set about unpacking their wares, and preparing to display the best they had for Narcissa's approval.

An elderly wizard approached the table, speaking directly to Narcissa. "Madam, when you are ready."

"Thank you, Alfonso. If you would show us what you have with you," Narcissa commanded.

The wizard nodded to his employees, and they began to move forward one at a time with wedding gowns levitating beside them. Each gown was rotated slowly, and was described in full by the accompanying employee.

Ginny had a difficult time not responding enthusiastically to each dress as it was paraded in front of her.

"Dear, if you see anything you would like to examine closer, just speak up," Narcissa encouraged.

Ginny merely nodded in response, her attention almost totally focused on the breathtaking garments being paraded for her.

A sudden gasp from the young bride-to-be brought a halt to the parade. The dress in view was exquisite, simple but gorgeous.

Noticing Ginny's change in demeanor, Narcissa immediately ordered that the dress be brought forward for closer scrutiny by the three witches.

Alfonso stepped forward and proceeded to describe the dress in great detail. "This is an exceptional gown Madam - made from white satin-faced organza, it has a sheen that is almost luminous. As you can see, the bodice is embroidered with silver threads and pearls that follow around to the rear of the dress which laces up corset style to the waist, the skirt hangs in an A-frame to the floor, with a circular train of five feet from the back of the dress, it comes with a matching fingertip veil and, of course, because it is strapless, a matching shawl."

"Ginevra?" Narcissa looked askance at the young witch.

"It's so beautiful," Ginny uttered breathily.

"Does the young lady wish to try the dress on?" the elderly wizard enquired politely.

"Oh… I couldn't … it must be so expensive," Ginny responded hesitantly. She would like to slip into the beautiful gown more than anything, but there was no point in getting her hopes up. They could not afford a dress of this magnitude.

"Now, Ginevra, I did say that Lucius and I would take care of expenses," Narcissa reminded her, before turning her attention to the wizard. "She will try it on."

"Very well, Madam," the wizard responded. With a flick of his wand, a makeshift dressing room had been erected in the corner of the drawing room, and Ginny was ushered inside.

Once she had been assisted into the exquisite dress, Ginny walked slowly out from behind the screens that made up the dressing room. She was ever so careful not to damage the costly garment.

"Oh my," Molly gasped. "Darling, you look so beautiful."

"This is definitely the dress for you, the cut is perfect," Narcissa said. "Are you happy with it dear, or would you like to look at some more?"

"I like this one," she stated decisively, "and it fits perfectly."

"Good. We'll take it," Narcissa directed the comment to Alfonso.

"Dearest…" Lucius' voice sounded from the doorway. "What, may I ask, is going on in here?"

"Oh my, is Draco with you?" Narcissa said with alarm tainting her tone.

"No, dearest, I believe he has slunk back to his chambers to continue nursing his wounds from yesterday."

'Wounds?' Ginny's head came up immediately. 'Is Draco hurt?'

Upon noticing Ginny's obvious distress over the mention of Draco having wounds, Narcissa took sympathy on the girl. "No need to panic, dear, just a little mishap with my embroidery needle, I'm sure he will be able to… perform tomorrow evening."

"Excuse me?" Ginny was momentarily shocked by Narcissa's brazenness.

"To consummate your marriage of course, even though I am assured that you have already… copiously. Nevertheless, your wedding night is something to cherish, and I'm sure that he'll be fine. Although I cannot speak from experience myself. One only wonders what a needle of that length could do to that part of a wizard's body."

Molly appeared to be barely controlling an apoplexy, and was shifting uncomfortably on the chair.

"Needle, what needle?"

"My embroidery needle, dear. He unfortunately tried to cover his modesty with my embroidery and got it stuck in his… well anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine. You must let me know if you feel that he's not performing to expectation and we will see about summoning a Medi-wizard."

"You want me to tell you if…" Ginny spluttered. By this time Molly's face was crimson, and she was gripping the arm of the chair with a wholly unnecessary amount of force. Arthur on the other hand, was determinedly not looking in his daughter's direction, and was absently scuffing the toe of one shoe against the parquet floor.

"You do, after all, have… experience with my son, and you are ideally placed to know if he's performing competently in his conjugal duties."

'Oh gods,' Ginny thought, 'this is not happening. I am not having this conversation with Draco's mother, and my parents are not right here listening to every word. I swear to the goddess, I'm going to wake up any minute, and find that this has all been a terrible nightmare.'

"Narcissa?" Lucius prompted again. "What is happening here?"

"Oh, dearest, Ginevra has been unable to see to her robes for tomorrow, so I had Alfonso bring some of his finest gowns for her approval."

Lucius walked to his wife's side. "Narcissa, they would have to sell their house to pay for the dress she is currently modeling," he said out of the side of his mouth, so quietly it was barely audible.

"Nonsense," Narcissa exclaimed before giving her husband a nefarious smirk. "We are paying."

Lucius' eyes grew wide as his blood pressure instantly rose. Gritting his teeth in an effort to abstain from raising his voice. "What?"

"Of course, dear, they cannot afford a prestigious wedding, and we have more than enough, so we will pay for the entire affair," Narcissa told him, then added haughtily, "I would like to see Draco married in style, he is my only child."

"Narcissa," Lucius growled in a dangerously low tone.

"There are some more bank notes on the table pertaining to the reception, perhaps you could sign them now," Narcissa informed him, dismissing his tone of voice, and changing the subject to indicate that the matter was now closed.

Lucius stalked over to the table, and picked up the wad of Gringotts Bank notes. Sifting through them quickly, he saw that they were, indeed, relevant to the reception and totaled quite a tidy sum in Galleons.

"Narcissa, is all this nonsense truly necessary?"

"Absolutely!" she exclaimed. "Lucius, we are organizing a wedding, not some frivolous get together for your friends."

Giving his wife a measured look, Lucius responded evenly, "Dearest, I do not feel that your… attitude is completely warranted."

"Don't you? Perhaps I should refresh your memory then… you do recall what Draco informed me of yesterday?" Narcissa taunted.

"I see. This is some form of penance."

Narcissa smiled coldly at him and turned her attention back to Ginny.

"Ginevra, if you would take the dress off now, I will see that it's properly prepared for tomorrow."

"Thank you," Ginny whispered.

"Well, I think we have achieved all we can today. I will take care of the invitations and see to it that they are delivered by this afternoon. All you need do is turn up tomorrow, and everything will be in place. You will of course be dressing here. I will set aside some rooms for your use."

"Thank you," Ginny murmured her acknowledgement again; quite sure that Narcissa would hold her in debt for the rest of her life.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHORS NOTES

I'd like to thank my livejournal friends for their encouragement to finish this fic and their hilarious suggestions that enabled me to do so.

Special thanks to vequihellin and rainpuddle13 for their fantastic beta skills *hugs*


-->